• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dantroit

Please Stop Calling The Wings A Lock

Rate this topic

I am truly psyched about the signing of Hossa, and I think it is the perfect thing to keep the Stanley Cup high going...but that in no way makes Detroit a lock to win the Cup. A lot of things can happen between now and next June. Even back in 2002 when the Wings had all of the hall of famers and were dubbed a lock, they fell 0-2 in the 1st round and then got pushed 7 games against Colorado. Did they win? Yes, but it wasn't like they swept their way through, and I think some fans are making it seem like this team is going 98-0. This Red Wings teams seems a lot like the Celtics of last season, everyone crowned them the champs before the season started (at least here in the north east where I am currently living for business). And they got pushed to two separate 7 games series. Did they win? Yes, but was it a cake walk? No.

I know I know, I'm being a downer, and I truly am psyched about Hossa and I do think he really gives the Wings another dimension. And I think they have a GREAT shot at winning the cup, but a lot of things can happen, and I think too many people are crowning them champs too soon.

Okay, now that I have been a buzz kill, Go Wings!

While I agree with you, signing Hossa, along with the two other deals that Holland/mgmt have done so far, have meant that this has already been a pretty successful offseason for the Wings, which generates excitement. And also with the roster that won the Stanley Cup probably being as close to the same next season in all likelihood, that means there is even more firepower to this team. So it is only natural for people to get ahead of themselves. Just something you got to roll with for better or worse. Not the most torturous thing in the world to deal with.

This has the very real potential to be the best Wings team ever assembled. If someone truly wants to be "cautiously optimistic" about this...well, his/her loss.

Nobody will ever beat the 02 Wings. That's the stuff of legend, salary cap or not.

Guest wingsjunky

s*** i'll call the wings a lock to anyone who actually cares about hockey around here (socal.) not because actually think they are a lock but whats the fun of having one of the most stacked teams in recent memory if you don't gloat about it.

Guest Crymson
I am truly psyched about the signing of Hossa, and I think it is the perfect thing to keep the Stanley Cup high going...but that in no way makes Detroit a lock to win the Cup. A lot of things can happen between now and next June. Even back in 2002 when the Wings had all of the hall of famers and were dubbed a lock, they fell 0-2 in the 1st round and then got pushed 7 games against Colorado. Did they win? Yes, but it wasn't like they swept their way through, and I think some fans are making it seem like this team is going 98-0. This Red Wings teams seems a lot like the Celtics of last season, everyone crowned them the champs before the season started (at least here in the north east where I am currently living for business). And they got pushed to two separate 7 games series. Did they win? Yes, but was it a cake walk? No.

I know I know, I'm being a downer, and I truly am psyched about Hossa and I do think he really gives the Wings another dimension. And I think they have a GREAT shot at winning the cup, but a lot of things can happen, and I think too many people are crowning them champs too soon.

Okay, now that I have been a buzz kill, Go Wings!

Tell me again, how does this affect you?

What a buncha whiners.

If people want to call the Wings a lock, let them. And really, like someone said up above, who's going to stop this team? It's basically the same roster we were watching just a few weeks ago, only, now it boasts Marian Hossa -- you know, the one guy who stood between the Wings and the Cup in the SCF, seeing as how none of his team mates showed up? He could easily become the Wings' most lethal goal-scorer. Think about that for a second.

Bottom line: the team that dominated last season has become much more dangerous. That's why Hossa came here -- he knows this team is the s*** even without him. So, people have the right to say the Wings are a lock, and they're justified in asserting it.

Some of you must not remember Sharks in '94, Devils in '95, Avs in '96, Kings in '01. It happens to great teams.

There are no "locks" in the NHL - it's a long season and in the POs anything can happen.

The Wings have put themselves in the best possible to position to win - every fan should be proud of this organization. Personally, I kind of liked that all the attention was on the Sharks and Ducks this year - not sure I like the Wings being the favs from the getgo - but we're stuck with that now - and let's hope for the best - but not get too haughty!

Guest Crymson
and let's hope for the best - but not get too haughty!

Tell me again---how would people getting haughty affect you or the team?

It doesnt matter. Of course we're going to be excited. We just dominated our way through the SC playoffs, lost basically no one(apologies to Dom), and added the biggest FA on the market. People are going to immediately say repeat. When the 09 playoffs come around, people will be much more cautious and probably pessimistic because Holland didnt acquire whoever at the deadline.

We just won the cup, and we basically just won the offseason. It's fun....and it's pretty much meaningless. So anything anybody says about this upcoming season doesnt really matter because no one really takes it that seriously right now.

When the season starts, I will return to my neutral "Nothing is for certain", but right now our team just won the Cup and wiped the floor with the competition. Nothing wrong with enjoying it and having a little fan bravado right now. With limits. Karma is a ***** and we shouldn't go out of our way to rub it in.

What are they gonna do? Call Holmstrom for goalie interference while he's on the bench?

WAIT....that might actually happen.

These past playoffs it took a shadow from his butt.

Next year he'll be a foot out, and the ref heres a fart automaticly its Homer in the crease...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

a lot of people were picking the rangers last year...maybe not as a "lock" to win the stanley cup, but to do amazing things. they were okay. obviously, there's no universe in which a franzen-flipper-hossa line is worse than a franzen-flipper-sammy line, but, you never know. franzen cools off. hossa can't find his groove. lids starts showing signs of age. osgood comes off the huge high he was on all of last year. *shrug* i don't EXPECT any of these things to happen, but hockey games--and championships--are won on the ice and not on paper.

now, of course, when i'm talking to my buddies, it's all "can you say 'repeat,'" but obviously no one knows.

the thing is, how much more will it suck if we get ousted in the first round this year? and imagine how much fun the critics are going to have if we do ANYTHING but win the stanley cup? i prefer to fly under the radar rather than have everyone picking us from july 1 on. (not that we've necessarily "flown under the radar" in recent years, but everyone underestimated us. no one will this year. if anything, we will be over estimated, and everyone will bring their a+ game to play the wings.)

that being said, this signing is amazing and our team looks incredible. but, only time will tell.

can't wait for october!!!!

So we as fans whine and complain all year about Pierre, Milbury, Eddie Olczyk, and the rest of these guys not giving Detroit any respect.

Now some people, not me, and not you are calling us a lock. Cause there is no such thing.

So now we need a thread about people giving the Wings to much credit now. Is it to much respect now? make up your minds. God forbid someone, anyone, a total nobody stating the Wings are a lock. Who gives a s***. As long as my favorite team, kicks ass all year long and wins the Cup. The organization has class, what else do you need?

f*** the lock, lets play hockey!

magiclock.jpg

For all the wrestling fans out there I would like to quote Ric Flair...

" To be the best, you have to beat the best !!"....wooooooooooo

Until someone beats us in the playoffs we are still the champs and I will gloat, brag, tell people off, predict we will win the cup next year etc...........

This is essentially the same team we won the cup with but we replaced Drake with Hossa, I love The Drake but cmon it is hard to argue with what we have here. Our team chemistry is 2nd to none, Our work ethic is 2nd to none, our skill level is 2nd to none. I will be more than gladly eat crow if I have to but this team is dynamic and are going to be very hard to beat barring injuries or other strange circumstances.

I've seen a lot of posts stating that if "Player-X" (generally, Sundin) doesn't sign with the Wings, then they don't want to win the Cup. That's essentially the same thing.

Hi Mack,

Not quite.

When I posted one of those comments in another thread, I questioned the notion of Sundin signing with Montreal. Yes the Habs are a playoff team, but IMO, they are still a couple of years away and Sundin is already 37 and will be 38 by the next round of playoffs. His window of opportunity to win a Cup is narrow. His chances would be better with Detroit, but they would also be better with other teams like Anaheim, Pittsburgh, San Jose and Dallas to name a few.

So my conclusion was that if he wanted to sign a longer term deal with a team that was not likely to advance deep in the playoffs versus one that is more likely, then he is probably more interested in money than getting the Cup. If you are 37-38 and only have a couple of more years left, why else would you make that decision? If you really want the Cup, the last thing you want is to be 40-42 years old and still part of a team, albeit a good team, that hasn't yet closed the deal. If Sundin was entertaining offers from teams like the ones I mentioned at the end of the first paragraph, I would not have written what I did.

Sorry if it came across that way, but I do not believe Detroit is a lock, just that they are a strong favorite. I'm a firm believer of the saying, "That's why you play the game" because I have seen too many teams that have been considered locks like the '07 Patriots, the '99 Dodgers and the '03 Lakers that were anointed champs before anyone played a game.

Anyway, thanks for your posts. I have enjoyed them here and in other threads.

What a buncha whiners.

If people want to call the Wings a lock, let them. And really, like someone said up above, who's going to stop this team? It's basically the same roster we were watching just a few weeks ago, only, now it boasts Marian Hossa -- you know, the one guy who stood between the Wings and the Cup in the SCF, seeing as how none of his team mates showed up? He could easily become the Wings' most lethal goal-scorer. Think about that for a second.

Bottom line: the team that dominated last season has become much more dangerous. That's why Hossa came here -- he knows this team is the s*** even without him. So, people have the right to say the Wings are a lock, and they're justified in asserting it.

Absolutely 100% agree. Good post. :thumbup:

Guest wingsjunky
What are they gonna do? Call Holmstrom for goalie interference while he's on the bench?

WAIT....that might actually happen.

what you didn't know about the calls is that Holmstrom posesses telekinetic powers. The refs, being in the know, saw Holmstrom use his gift to shove Marc-Andre Fleury with a burst of telekinetic force. They saw this happen and made the appropriate call.

The Wings aren't a lock, they are just favourites.

The same team from last season... Kronwall and Franzen are better, and we added Hossa. FAVOURITES.

Hey if you believe what the mighty Eklund say's :lol: he is already picking the Sharks to beat the Wing's next year because of their additions of Blake and Boyle. Blake is old and Boyle is so flaky it's not even funny.

Scroll down near the bottom for the bold predicition !!

The Hockey Messiah make's a prediction

Guest Four

I don't expect the Wings to be any better than last season, but I expect them to keep up to last season and live up to their hype. Detroit will be a force next season and I'm sure many teams will get utterly pasted by our dual first lines (you really can't say we have a second line). I'm excited for next season so I can see how The Red Wings can actually play. Who knows, if we go as far as this year and Hossa stays long term, (I don't want to go this far, but..) could we make a dynasty?