• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dantroit

Please Stop Calling The Wings A Lock

Rate this topic

BTW, maybe you should start proofreading your posts more. Simply misstating a single point can make you look less credible. Comments such as the Wings losing games 5 & 6 last year against Dallas, when they in fact lost Games 4 & 5 and won Game 6.

There are lots of teams, that with a few breaks, a hot goalie, an injury, can beat you.

I learned this in 1993. The Pens, loaded with All Stars and HOFers, got taken to game 7 by the Isles.

And then, a bad bounce later, the puck is in the net, and the season is over in overtime.

All it takes is a hot goalie, a bounce, a bad call, an injury. Lots can change.

And don't forget guys like Gaborik who will be available at the deadline for teams to make a push.

Like I said, normally I would agree with you, but the Wings are just that good. The only possible way they can lose is if they lose to themselves, and out of all the coaches in the nhl, I think Babcock safeguards against that the best. Sure we might face bad bounces, a hot goalie, etc etc, but that won't stop us. Nashville last year won two games entirely on bad bounces, and their goalie was probably the hottest goalie we saw all playoffs. Bad bounces? We are already so experienced in overcoming bad calls its not even funny. The year before Kippursoff was a fricken wall. We're too disciplined to let that get to us. We're too clutch to be buried by a bad bounce. We're too explosive for any goalie to contain us. We're just too good. And I say this is the most objective way I possibly can (because I know this is coming off incredibly homeristic (and now I'm also coming off as someone incredibly bad at inventing new words on the spot), but look at our lineup. Then look at everyone elses. And yeah, there are always injuries, and thats something I am concerned about, but I addressed that in my previous post.

The way I'm looking at it is, this year we inherited a Stanley Cup winning team, with about 15 million dollars to make ourselves even better. Given the roster space we had, the money we had, our weaknesses we had, and all the free agents out there, we did singularly THE BEST possible thing with the resources we had. Essentially, given the team we had coming into July 1st, we improved it to its maximum capability. There are no other Hossa's out there. Stuart's among the best defensman available, and for a bit over 3.5M a year, he is THE best out there, especially considering our needs. Ty Conklin(sp?) is a capable backup, and for next to league minimum, hes an absolute steal.

Edited by Echolalia

Barring injury, next year's run will depend on whether Ozzie can continue to play good hockey in net. We'll see how he holds up without Dom all year.

...it's not gonna matter, because if Osgood is not playing as good and Conklin doesn't repeat his back-up preformance of last year and Howard isn't ready, Holland will aquire Luongo from the Canucks at the deadline. (he may do that anyhow)

yeah i agree. i think we are going to lose most of our games. more so now that we added hossa. ....... yeah that makes me feel a lot better then seeing a bunch of posts saying we are going to win. i love how posts get created just to tell other posters how not to post and what not to say. so if i keep saying wings are a lock what does it matter? makes me feel better then saying we probably aren't.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
No, my point was that the Wings were *a couple injuries* away from winning that series. The Wings were the better team and had they been healthy, its is my opinion that they would've moved on.

The point is they lost, and wanna know why we had some of those injuries? Because Pronger rammed Homer, and Schinder got hurt by hits also. Even if we woudlve won full strength the fact of the matter is THEY TOOK OUT SOME OF OUR KEY PLAYERS

If that were the *correct* case, I would have to agree. However, IMO the Sharks did get better just as the Wings did.

How is losing your top defensemen, a grizzled top 4 stay at home, and a promising young defensemen for an overpaid palyer who isnt as good an upgrade. Fact of the matter is

Campbell>Boyle, by far and that leaves Rivet+Carle being replaced by a washed up blake. Any GM would take the first tandem over blake. The Sharks have GOTTEN WORSE

My examples don't betray my points, you just fail to see or recognize them.

Ok... so your example was when we vsed a hard hitting team like Anaheim, we lost yet when we vsed skill teams like Dallas we won. Hmmm dosent that disagree with what your saying a little bit?

[i'm acting superior by making a joke? I was simply just doing that....making a joke. What isn't funny or a way of making your point valid is calling people retarded if they don't agree with you.

I'm sorry if you were offended, I thought most men wouldn't get so upset over an internet joke, but anyone who thinks that the sharks got better when they lost Rivet, Campbell and Carle isn't the smartest when ti comes to hockey.

h

They're not a mere pretender because Turco now has confidence heading into the playoffs and tey have more *balance* than the Ducks. What makes the Ducks anything but a pretender next year?

What confidence does Turco have? He got beat down by us. As for the Ducks being pretenders, I'd like my chances any day with a top ten center in the leauge, two of the top 5 d-men and a top 5 goalie, along with the best shutdown line in hockey. Thats a good playoff team.

Edit: Addition

Please stop making crying little ***** threads. What someone believes is what they believe. We all have an opinion and this is the place to share it. It doesn't relly make a difference on the ice if "JOE BLOW" thinks the Wings are a lock.

J/K

But seriously...

:blink:

Wow, I have to say I am surprised that this thread went this far. The only point I was making in this thread was that after the Hossa signing I saw post after post (not just on this board either), with Wings fans basically saying this team is unstoppable and there was no need to even play next season. And while the people who made the comments about they would rather see positive posts as opposed to negative posts, I agree 100%. The only thign I hate seeing is Boston fans or New York fans (mostly Boston fans I guess...I'm living in CT for work right now) and they are absolutely obnoxious. They are the most pompous fans I have ever seen, the radio stations, messageboards or conversations are filled with comments that all basically end with the Sox or the Pats being guaranteed champions.

And trust me it makes them all look like @sses, even when they win the World Series, but they looked even more ridiculous when say the Pats lost the Super Bowl...and believe me they talked about the Super Bowl being locked up after week 5. Going into the Super Bowl they were posting about how disappointing it was going to be to see such a slaughter in the Super Bowl...little did they know how that was going to turn out. So when I saw the Wings posts about already being crowned the 2009 Champs, it just reminded me too much of that Boston/New York stuff I am constantly bombarded with. But hey, to each their own...if you guys want to lock it up, lock away.

Wow, I have to say I am surprised that this thread went this far. The only point I was making in this thread was that after the Hossa signing I saw post after post (not just on this board either), with Wings fans basically saying this team is unstoppable and there was no need to even play next season. And while the people who made the comments about they would rather see positive posts as opposed to negative posts, I agree 100%. The only thign I hate seeing is Boston fans or New York fans (mostly Boston fans I guess...I'm living in CT for work right now) and they are absolutely obnoxious. They are the most pompous fans I have ever seen, the radio stations, messageboards or conversations are filled with comments that all basically end with the Sox or the Pats being guaranteed champions.

And trust me it makes them all look like @sses, even when they win the World Series, but they looked even more ridiculous when say the Pats lost the Super Bowl...and believe me they talked about the Super Bowl being locked up after week 5. Going into the Super Bowl they were posting about how disappointing it was going to be to see such a slaughter in the Super Bowl...little did they know how that was going to turn out. So when I saw the Wings posts about already being crowned the 2009 Champs, it just reminded me too much of that Boston/New York stuff I am constantly bombarded with. But hey, to each their own...if you guys want to lock it up, lock away.

In all fairness I doubt come playoff time these fans will be saying the Wings are a definite lock. This is just post-Hossa syndrome spreading around.

The point is they lost, and wanna know why we had some of those injuries? Because Pronger rammed Homer, and Schinder got hurt by hits also. Even if we woudlve won full strength the fact of the matter is THEY TOOK OUT SOME OF OUR KEY PLAYERS

You really want to throw Schneider into the "injured because of grit" category. Good God, go look at how he was injured if you don't recall and tell me that wasn't a fluke. Kronwall was out before the playoffs even started, so you can't chalk him up to being injured by a gritty team (which BTW, was the Baby-Stars in your opinion). Lastly, funny how you mention Pronger ramming Homer, yet he played every single game of that series.

How is losing your top defensemen, a grizzled top 4 stay at home, and a promising young defensemen for an overpaid palyer who isnt as good an upgrade. Fact of the matter is

Campbell>Boyle, by far and that leaves Rivet+Carle being replaced by a washed up blake. Any GM would take the first tandem over blake. The Sharks have GOTTEN WORSE

Because those players that you just mentioned have not got it done in the playoffs the past few years in a row. The Sharks continue to dominate the regular season and fail to go beyond the second round of the playoffs. Hell, they almost got bounced in Game 7 of the first round. They brought in two Dmen *that have won Cups*, and they now have a phenomenal coach that isn't bust. Speaking of coaches, I haven't heard you recognize that point at all. Why is that?

Ok... so your example was when we vsed a hard hitting team like Anaheim, we lost yet when we vsed skill teams like Dallas we won. Hmmm dosent that disagree with what your saying a little bit?

See Above

I'm sorry if you were offended, I thought most men wouldn't get so upset over an internet joke

I can absolutely take a joke, and TBH it doesn't bother me as much as it does most others. However calling people retarded, regardless of it being on an internet forum is bad taste.

I'm sorry if you were offended, I thought most men wouldn't get so upset over an internet joke, but anyone who thinks that the sharks got better when they lost Rivet, Campbell and Carle isn't the smartest when ti comes to hockey.

Funny how you make this comment yet no one has agreed or come to your defense. Gofigure.

What confidence does Turco have?

The confidence gained from beating the Wings in Game 4 and then stealing Game 5 in Detroit. Not to mention the fact that he beat the Ooh-so-tough in your opinion defending SC Champions and ultimately made it to within 2 wins of the SCF's. Yeah......what confidence could that be? : :blink:

As for the Ducks being pretenders, I'd like my chances any day with a top ten center in the leauge, two of the top 5 d-men and a top 5 goalie, along with the best shutdown line in hockey. Thats a good playoff team.

A "good" playoff team that can't seem to score goals the entire past YEAR, is going to lose Schneider taking away more offensive weapons (especially on their PP) and now likely without Selanne. Gimme a break.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

In all fairness I doubt come playoff time these fans will be saying the Wings are a definite lock. This is just post-Hossa syndrome spreading around.

I agree. Calling the wings a lock for 2009 and saying basically the same as well might as well just hand em the cup they're gonna win it anyways

saying that kind of stuff just makes you look stupid.

anyone who's any kind of a veteran hockey fan and knows anything about the game or else arent totally naive knows that hockey is a funny game and it can turn on a dime. Especially since the playoffs are a whole other different time than the regular season -you can be really good in regular season and some habs fans indeed were saying the habs had 2008 locked up *cough* flyers *cough*

Whom do the ducks have that is a top 10 center in the league?

And who makes up the best shut down line in hockey?

Edited by Opie

and to anyone who says that the sharks have gotten worse and they'll choke in playoffs

since those trades

they've got Ryan Clowe who's one their top players

and they've got Yevgeni Nabokov who some experts think should have won the vezina instead of Brodeur in June 12 2008 nhl awards this year.

if you picked them to be worse and to get worse i'm sorry, but what?

must be a joke.

Edited by Holmstrom96Screens

So if I see you at a Wings game, and the guy sitting behind you yells, "WINGS ARE GONNA WIN! THIS GAME IS OURS BABY!" can I expect to see you turn around and say, "DUDE MAN THE REGULAR SEASON AND THE PLAYOFFS ARE TWO DIFFERENT BALLGAMES AND IF YOU'VE BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK THEN YOU KNOW ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. I'M NOT SAYING NOT ROOTING FOR THE WINGS MAN, BUT YOU HAVE TO RECOGNIZE THE FACTS YO"?

:rolleyes:

With all due respect, I don't think anyone who's arguing in this thread that the Wings aren't a lock is justified in saying their opponents in this argument look stupid. "They're not a lock because they might not win!" is a colossal truism; of course they're not actually a lock. You might as well be criticizing...I don't know, high school cheerleading squads.

"NOW WAIT HOLD ON JUST ONE SECOND! I CONTEST THE NOTION THAT THE CLEVELAND HIGH WILDCATS ARE THE 'B-E-S-T'! WHO'S TO SAY THEY WON'T LOSE THIS GAME? YOU KNOW HOW MANY BAD BOUNCES CAN OCCUR OVER THE COURSE OF A GAME?"

So if I see you at a Wings game, and the guy sitting behind you yells, "WINGS ARE GONNA WIN! THIS GAME IS OURS BABY!" can I expect to see you turn around and say, "DUDE MAN THE REGULAR SEASON AND THE PLAYOFFS ARE TWO DIFFERENT BALLGAMES AND IF YOU'VE BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK THEN YOU KNOW ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. I'M NOT SAYING NOT ROOTING FOR THE WINGS MAN, BUT YOU HAVE TO RECOGNIZE THE FACTS YO"?

:rolleyes:

With all due respect, I don't think anyone who's arguing in this thread that the Wings aren't a lock is justified in saying their opponents in this argument look stupid. "They're not a lock because they might not win!" is a colossal truism; of course they're not actually a lock. You might as well be criticizing...I don't know, high school cheerleading squads.

"NOW WAIT HOLD ON JUST ONE SECOND! I CONTEST THE NOTION THAT THE CLEVELAND HIGH WILDCATS ARE THE 'B-E-S-T'! WHO'S TO SAY THEY WON'T LOSE THIS GAME? YOU KNOW HOW MANY BAD BOUNCES CAN OCCUR OVER THE COURSE OF A GAME?"

I said the same thing during game 5 of the SC playoffs. I really thought the wings had that one locked up and they were going to win the cup in that game. Then came the tie up, those overtimes and the pens scored....and I wound up eating crow. Cant really take anything for granted or as garanteed.

Far as I think now, it aint over til the fat lady sings. :P

I agree. Calling the wings a lock for 2009 and saying basically the same as well might as well just hand em the cup they're gonna win it anyways

anyone who's any kind of a veteran hockey fan and knows anything about the game or else arent totally naive knows that hockey is a funny game and it can turn on a dime. Especially since the playoffs are a whole other different time than the regular season -you can be really good in regular season and some habs fans indeed were saying the habs had 2008 locked up *cough* flyers *cough*

you know what..i can say it...do i care what you think or anyone thinks? hell no. to me you saying someone looks stupid for saying a team is locked in for the cup because we just signed the best FA that was avalible and added it to a team that won it without him makes you look stupid. do you really care what people say that much about a sports team? i mean give me a break and get off of your high horse. whats stupid is we have to have a new damn thread every time someone says something that another poster doesn't like or thinks they said it wrong. so who cares someone keeps saying we are a lock? what does it matter really? we won the cup pretty easy with what we had before hossa...now how do you think we will be?

I said the same thing during game 5 of the SC playoffs. I really thought the wings had that one locked up and they were going to win the cup in that game. Then came the tie up, those overtimes and the pens scored....and I wound up eating crow. Cant really take anything for granted or as garanteed.

Far as I think now, it aint over til the fat lady sings. :P

Again, you're pushing a big-time truism.

I don't know, maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I, as a Wings fan, would rather say, "Wings are a lock" (knowing full well that that is not true, but also realizing that arguments pointing out this fact are pretty much missing the point) than point out every reason why the Wings might not win. Especially considering 1) how utterly dominant this team was just a few weeks ago, and 2) the fact that we'll be seeing more or less the same team this coming season, only with Marian Hossa.

Again, you're pushing a big-time truism.

I don't know, maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I, as a Wings fan, would rather say, "Wings are a lock" (knowing full well that that is not true, but also realizing that arguments pointing out this fact are pretty much missing the point) than point out every reason why the Wings might not win. Especially considering 1) how utterly dominant this team was just a few weeks ago, and 2) the fact that we'll be seeing more or less the same team this coming season, only with Marian Hossa.

thank you dab for this post..im not sure why people complain so much about something so silly.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
You really want to throw Schneider into the "injured because of grit" category. Good God, go look at how he was injured if you don't recall and tell me that wasn't a fluke. Kronwall was out before the playoffs even started, so you can't chalk him up to being injured by a gritty team (which BTW, was the Baby-Stars in your opinion). Lastly, funny how you mention Pronger ramming Homer, yet he played every single game of that series.

Because those players that you just mentioned have not got it done in the playoffs the past few years in a row. The Sharks continue to dominate the regular season and fail to go beyond the second round of the playoffs. Hell, they almost got bounced in Game 7 of the first round. They brought in two Dmen *that have won Cups*, and they now have a phenomenal coach that isn't bust. Speaking of coaches, I haven't heard you recognize that point at all. Why is that?

See Above

I can absolutely take a joke, and TBH it doesn't bother me as much as it does most others. However calling people retarded, regardless of it being on an internet forum is bad taste.

Funny how you make this comment yet no one has agreed or come to your defense. Gofigure.

The confidence gained from beating the Wings in Game 4 and then stealing Game 5 in Detroit. Not to mention the fact that he beat the Ooh-so-tough in your opinion defending SC Champions and ultimately made it to within 2 wins of the SCF's. Yeah......what confidence could that be? : :blink:

A "good" playoff team that can't seem to score goals the entire past YEAR, is going to lose Schneider taking away more offensive weapons (especially on their PP) and now likely without Selanne. Gimme a break.

Whatever, I'm not gonna argue with you cause you obviously can't see the truth. I am going to bookmark this thread and when the Sharks blow it again in the playoffs gonna just pm this and would like an aplogoy.

I'm just gonna leave you with a couple questions

How is Mcellean an awesome coach, hes never been a head coach in the nhl before?

Ron Wilson on the otherhand is looked by many as a great coach (myself not included) and has gottent o the finals before.

Campbell may have underperformed in the playoffs, but there is a reason why the Sharks were offering him over 7 million and offered blake less. Because Campbell is simply better.

When Boyle is a league worst +/- and Blake looks like a pylon, and the Sharks get bounced first round of the playoffs i'm gonna bring back this thread.

Also a couple gurantees. Neither Dallas or San Jose will win a cup with a roster resembeling their current one.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

LOCK.

unLOCK.

LOCK.

unLOCK.

LOCK.

unLOCK.

When you have the key, it's just that easy.

BTW..opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one (some folks more than one, it seems lol) and they ALL stink (to someone). some peeps just need a little gellin in their Mellon, me thinks.