• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

Third Jersey Releases for 2009

Rate this topic

I completely agree but I really think that was the rationale behind it, why on earth would you change it to white in the first place and then move it back. (Actually not 100% sure of this, were the original home colors the darks in hockey or not?)

I don't know but I prefer the white for home and dark red for away. I was just so used to it.

I disagree. I must admit I have only been a fan of hockey since 2003... (what? I moved to Michigan and HockeyLove happened), but I love the idea of wearing your colors at home. Whites away makes sense because (most) everyone has them. Away team sports white for trips, and you defend your color at home.

mine 2C.

Speaking of jerseys, why did they switch the colors for home and away? I never saw the logic behind making red home and white away.

This way teams can wear their third jersey at home instead of on the road without having to make prearrangements with the visitors. That's why the switch.

In other words, so fans will buy more third jerseys.

I know you weren't referring to me BRTD, but TBH I don't like black because its the "cool" thing to do (and you are correct in saying that), I actually like it because it just looks sharp. I like the way the Wings logo pops off the black practice jersey, but I hate how busy the underarms are. TBH, I do think the Wings current home jersey, kept the exact same except for switching the red for black would look extremely sharp.

I'll tell you what would truly look sharp. Highlighting the Winged Wheel in silver. Like the Flyers did with their flying P on the orange third they wore for a few years. THAT would look amazing. I'm not even being sarcastic.....I think it'd look tremendous. Silver goes really well with the Wings' colors.....especially in June :champs:

But......this:

*NOW* that being said, I absolutely want no part of the Wings organization adding a third jersey especially a black one, due to the Wings long-standing tradition and how trendy black has become.

I will be tremendously disappointed in any owner who approves a third jersey or any changes to the classic look.

I disagree. I must admit I have only been a fan of hockey since 2003... (what? I moved to Michigan and HockeyLove happened), but I love the idea of wearing your colors at home. Whites away makes sense because (most) everyone has them. Away team sports white for trips, and you defend your color at home.

mine 2C.

I prefer the white because....I don't know, but I'm sure there is a good reason.

When the Hurricanes take on the Red Wings in the second home game of the season, there's a good chance only one team will be in red.

The Canes hope to unveil their new, NHL-approved alternate jerseys — expected to be black with the team's secondary, waving-flag logo on the chest — at the Caniac Carnival in September and could wear them on the ice as early as Oct. 13 against Detroit.

Well there you go. ANOTHER black jersey...this jersey sounds uuuuugly!

Here is what it could look like. Yikes.

caralt.jpg

Edited by Yzerfan1999

, and you defend your color at home.

mine 2C.

Interesting I remember a discussion about this in colour theory class, white is to good eg white knight thus worn at home

and dark is to evil eg Darth Vader thus worn on the road, You want to be liked at home and seen as the enemy on the road.

Not saying this is right but this was the discussion we had way back when.

Regarding home and away jersey colors:

NHL policy, requirements, or tradition were originally the same as the NFL's and the NCAA's; i.e. dark jerseys at home and light jerseys away. However, sometime in the 1960s (perhaps) the Montreal Canadiens petitioned the league (the original six) to switch that arrangement so that they could show their home fans the tri-color jerseys they wore for the road games. Television wasn't that widespread, and color television was even rarer! This change lasted for many years until it was decided to go back to the original concept.

As I said in a previous posting on this topic, I'm not against any artistic changes in the Red Wings jerseys as long as the team's colors remain the same; black may be the colors of another team but it is not a Red Wing color!

If the Wings want to do a third jersey, make it look like the ones from the Gordie Howe era. Use the red color from that era with the white winged wheel and the older style numbers without the names on the back.

Red Wings fans are traditionalists, so a modernized third jersey is just going to piss everyone off. This would sell well while still respecting the team's heritage or looking too obnoxious like the really old Falcons/Cougars jerseys with the goofy stripes.

It'd just be for 1 game, other Wings games are going to be broadcasted on NBC as well this season with normal jerseys which the average Joe might watch, even though the outdoor game might have more fans.

I understand keeping "tradition", but it doesn't hurt trying something new every now and then. It's not the end of the world if they do have different jerseys for just 1 game and it isn't going to change diddly squat about either organization.

They'll go back to their customary jerseys for every other game, if they make different ones for the outdoor event.

'Cause one, they're piss-ugly and two, there's no history involved with them.

pretty much. they were debuted in the early 90's as a retro jersey, they looked awful then and they look awful now

there are other ways to make the jersey look classic for this game without wearing that thing

just take a look back at some of the minor differences in wings jerseys from earlier eras and imitate them

It'd just be for 1 game, other Wings games are going to be broadcasted on NBC as well this season with normal jerseys which the average Joe might watch, even though the outdoor game might have more fans.

I understand keeping "tradition", but it doesn't hurt trying something new every now and then. It's not the end of the world if they do have different jerseys for just 1 game and it isn't going to change diddly squat about either organization.

They'll go back to their customary jerseys for every other game, if they make different ones for the outdoor event.

I'm not worried about the loss of tradition. I just don't get why people think the stupid candy-cane jersey is so historical.

I'm not worried about the loss of tradition. I just don't get why people think the stupid candy-cane jersey is so historical.

In that case then it isn't historical since they only wore it for one or two seasons if I'm not mistaken.

For me personally, I'm indifferent on the whole changing of the jerseys thing for one day if they do it for the outdoor games. Don't care one way or the other. If they think it'll spruce up entertainment value or whatever else, knock yourself out. It's just going to be for one day.

I got to agree with NFM here I like black because it really makes the colors pop off of it.

I have a 5 year old ccm practice jersey that has the winged wheel with black instead of the white in the wheel.

It looks really good (IMO) but I also agree Black is the in thing, I am so tired of Black jerseys as the alternative Jersey, even the C's alternative is green with black stripes and lettering, black has nothing to do with the celtics!!!

I'm confused. On one hand you agree that a black jersey looks nice, but they you slam the Celtics for using one? What would black have to do with the Wings?

In reply to whomever said they didn't like the numbers on the front:

Personally, I really like that look. It's something new to the NHL. Who cares if the jersey of the captains and alternates of the few teams using the numbers on front might look a little clustered if they make it to the finals? The only difference between that situation and the Wings this past finals is that the Wings had an empty shoulder.

For the Winter Classic I'd love to see the Wings sport the actual sweaters. The ones that were off-white with the Wings logo that looks like it was drawn by, well someone with my artistic skills (not good).

Well there you go. ANOTHER black jersey...this jersey sounds uuuuugly!

Here is what it could look like. Yikes.

caralt.jpg

I don't know... I don't think this is all that bad. Having a tie-up would make it look a little bit cooler.

post-5595-1216479570.jpg

Edited by Yzerfan75

something like this is much better than a crappy 90's retro

1936 would be a hell of a good throwback year:

BlackHawks3.jpg

RedWings2.jpg

I'm not against the idea of a throwback. I'm against the idea of the throwback that everyone thinks is a big part of Wings history but isn't and is offensive to the eyes besides.

Be honest. If the Wings had never worn that candy-stripe thing, and RBK said, hey Wings fans, this candy-stripe will be your third jersey, there would be massive hate and discontent. We're talking pitchforks and torches at Reebok HQ, and once the ashes have cooled, Bettman's office. It would not be a pretty scene.

But because of one lousy season (and I do mean lousy) way back in the '20s, people get all misty-eyed over it instead of hating it.

The Blackhawks wore that jersey for a period in the 1930s, to include 1936, which just so happens to be a Cup year for the Wings. I don't particularly like inaccurate throwbacks, and just as bad, throwbacks from different years or eras. (Like when the Lions wore their jerseys from the 1930s against the Patriots of the 1980s.) If they're gonna do it, do it right.

Those 1936 jerseys would be awesome.

1936 would be a hell of a good throwback year:

BlackHawks3.jpg

RedWings2.jpg

I'm not against the idea of a throwback. I'm against the idea of the throwback that everyone thinks is a big part of Wings history but isn't and is offensive to the eyes besides.

Be honest. If the Wings had never worn that candy-stripe thing, and RBK said, hey Wings fans, this candy-stripe will be your third jersey, there would be massive hate and discontent. We're talking pitchforks and torches at Reebok HQ, and once the ashes have cooled, Bettman's office. It would not be a pretty scene.

But because of one lousy season (and I do mean lousy) way back in the '20s, people get all misty-eyed over it instead of hating it.

The Blackhawks wore that jersey for a period in the 1930s, to include 1936, which just so happens to be a Cup year for the Wings. I don't particularly like inaccurate throwbacks, and just as bad, throwbacks from different years or eras. (Like when the Lions wore their jerseys from the 1930s against the Patriots of the 1980s.) If they're gonna do it, do it right.

Those 1936 jerseys would be awesome.

That's exactly the jersey I'd love to see. And I bet the players would like it as it would help them keep warm on the bench?