• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

Third Jersey Releases for 2009

Rate this topic

Numbers on the front were never cool to begin with. They throw off the jersey so much and it seems so superfluous. It probably won't happen but I wish the league would do away with this stupid trend before every team adops it.

Can you amagine how Vinny Lecavalier would look in the Stanley Cup Finals now? He'd have his #4 and not far away have the Stanley Cup patch AND the "A" all on top of the logo!

Believe you me, I was being sarcastic about the numbers on the front.

You know the part I absolutely love (read: hate with a passion)? People who like those numbers and then say that having the C/A patches on the other side of the Wings jersey looks weird.

I want to see the fisherman that looks like he's selling fish sticks on the Islanders jersey again.

I actually really liked that one. Their original/current logo looks like a complete mess thrown onto a circle. For years I thought the outline of Long Island was just some blob put in to fill up space.

Edited by Cern

The Hurricanes should be forced to wear those Whalers jerseys, especially since their current jersey sucks ass.

I'd love for the NHL to put on some kind of Vintage Night. The Original 6 and what remains of the Second 6 with vintage jerseys, and Colorado/Phoenix/Carolina wear their original franchise's jersey (Quebec/Winnipeg/Hartford, respectively)

I don't like the islanders current jerseys either. The fisherman logo in itself wasn't bad, but the jersey surrounding really was. I think if they redesigned the logo but kept the blue and orange, maybe even added a teal stripe it would be much better. The waves and the number design was pretty awful on the original fisherman jersey though. The Isles and the Lightning are in the running for the worst logos IMO.

You know the part I absolutely love (read: hate with a passion)? People who like those numbers and then say that having the C/A patches on the other side of the Wings jersey looks weird.

Ask those people if having the patches over the wing would look better, seeing as how that was their only other option.

I gotta agree that those 2 jerseys are rather bland.

:lol: "bland" is not what comes to mind, IMO.....I'm going more for "aggravated 1st degree assault and battery on the eyes."

And I don't get what's so wonderfully retro and throwbacky about them. The Wings (Cougars) jersey, I mean. One season. That's what they represent. One season. And a lousy season at that - Detroit was tied for 7th out of 10.

The beauty of the current jersey is that it is a throwback. And it so happens that the white Wings jersey and the red Blackhawks jersey (which is what the two teams would wear if they don't mess with things) are two of the most beautiful in the league. Maybe the most. Why bombard the eyes with that candy-striping?

Hmmm... I wonder why the giant duck jumping through the ice isn't wearing a jersey of himself jumping through the ice... :blink:

It would be one of those infinite loops. :rolleyes:

Edit: my poor grammar

:clap::clap::clap:

The best throwback uni's in all of pro sports belong to the Detroit Lions. There's are awesome.

Oh, and the Wings should try a black 3rd jersey, with red winged wheel. :thumbup::ph34r:

:clap::clap::clap:

The best throwback uni's in all of pro sports belong to the Detroit Lions. There's are awesome.

Oh, and the Wings should try a black 3rd jersey, with red winged wheel. :thumbup::ph34r:

like this? i think theyre tight

2008WingsPrac.jpg

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of a third jersey is? Is it for pajamas? For gardening? For what? There's home jerseys and away jerseys, and that's all that's needed!

Having said that, I agree with "Cern" that there should be some sort of a retro game and accompanying jersey. I propose that, similar to the Lions' Thanksgiving Day Game, the Red Wings should designate one of their games against an original six team as "retro game" - retro game is merely the idea, not the actual name of the game that I am proposing. I'm sure that each of the original six teams has an old design that they could wear that night. The game could be scheduled on a date of some significance, such as the founding of the NHL.

Furthermore, I am absolutely opposed to black anywhere on a Red Wings' jersey. The Red Wings' colors are red and white, and ONLY those colors should be used, even in new jersey designs!

Every time the Lions wear their black jerseys I root against them as the Lions' colors are silver and Honolulu blue, and that's all that should be used!

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of a third jersey is? Is it for pajamas? For gardening? For what? There's home jerseys and away jerseys, and that's all that's needed!

Having said that, I agree with "Cern" that there should be some sort of a retro game and accompanying jersey. I propose that, similar to the Lions' Thanksgiving Day Game, the Red Wings should designate one of their games against an original six team as "retro game" - retro game is merely the idea, not the actual name of the game that I am proposing. I'm sure that each of the original six teams has an old design that they could wear that night. The game could be scheduled on a date of some significance, such as the founding of the NHL.

Furthermore, I am absolutely opposed to black anywhere on a Red Wings' jersey. The Red Wings' colors are red and white, and ONLY those colors should be used, even in new jersey designs!

Every time the Lions wear their black jerseys I root against them as the Lions' colors are silver and Honolulu blue, and that's all that should be used!

The purpose of the 3rd jersey is MERCHANDISING and don't let anyone ever tell you any differently.

No, they absolutely, positively, should not.

Black is the "cool" thing to do these days. Oh, it's so fearsome and intimidating. The Flyers got rid of their excellent and unique orange jerseys so they could wear black like everyone else and it's stupid. Everyone wants to wear black.

It's retarded.

like this? i think theyre tight

2008WingsPrac.jpg

I have this as a practice jersey, but only because I have a black helmet and hockey pants. Now I'd rather have the white one. Looks great. Couldn't find one until I went to Hockeytown Authentics when I visited Detroit. Awesome.

Speaking of jerseys, why did they switch the colors for home and away? I never saw the logic behind making red home and white away.

That's a very good question.

Edited by Jwo

Speaking of jerseys, why did they switch the colors for home and away? I never saw the logic behind making red home and white away.

Same reason behind a third Jersey, revenue.

The thinking behind it (I believe I have no inside source) was that fans at home games would want to wear the same color as the team was wearing, therefore the people going to home games would want to buy new jerseys.

Same with new logos and new uniform designs every so often, it is all about marketing and revenue.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Opie

No, they absolutely, positively, should not.

Black is the "cool" thing to do these days. Oh, it's so fearsome and intimidating. The Flyers got rid of their excellent and unique orange jerseys so they could wear black like everyone else and it's stupid. Everyone wants to wear black.

It's retarded.

I know you weren't referring to me BRTD, but TBH I don't like black because its the "cool" thing to do (and you are correct in saying that), I actually like it because it just looks sharp. I like the way the Wings logo pops off the black practice jersey, but I hate how busy the underarms are. TBH, I do think the Wings current home jersey, kept the exact same except for switching the red for black would look extremely sharp.

*NOW* that being said, I absolutely want no part of the Wings organization adding a third jersey especially a black one, due to the Wings long-standing tradition and how trendy black has become.

I got to agree with NFM here I like black because it really makes the colors pop off of it.

I have a 5 year old ccm practice jersey that has the winged wheel with black instead of the white in the wheel.

It looks really good (IMO) but I also agree Black is the in thing, I am so tired of Black jerseys as the alternative Jersey, even the C's alternative is green with black stripes and lettering, black has nothing to do with the celtics!!!

Same reason behind a third Jersey, revenue.

The thinking behind it (I believe I have no inside source) was that fans at home games would want to wear the same color as the team was wearing, therefore the people going to home games would want to buy new jerseys.

Same with new logos and new uniform designs every so often, it is all about marketing and revenue.

Edit: clarity

Funny, my instincts didn't tell me to "buy new home jerseys" the day they made that announcement. :rolleyes:

FYI this comment is for the RBK corporate pigs not you.

Funny, my instincts didn't tell me to "buy new home jerseys" the day they made that announcement. :rolleyes:

I completely agree but I really think that was the rationale behind it, why on earth would you change it to white in the first place and then move it back. (Actually not 100% sure of this, were the original home colors the darks in hockey or not?)