• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

So you won't be talking any smack before um/OSU?

Not much to add really. My thoughts going into the season, some obvious, some not so obvious.

1: The Spartans are moving in the right direction, but it is going to take years for Dantonio to under the damage done to the program by Bobby Williams and JLS. The Spartans hung tight in every game except OSU. I'm not a believer in moral victories. Michigan and Wisconsin should have been wins last year, especially Michigan. But it did show me that there's a change in culture at MSU.

2: The opening game, on the road against Cal (which I'm going to) is going to set the tone for the season.

4: DickRod will have UM on probation in 5 years. Well, its UM. The NCAA would never give them probation. Look for Eastern to wind up on probation for UM's sins.

4: Ohio State is still the 800 pound gorilla. Not that I really like the Buckeyes, but it would be nice to see them finish in a bowl game.

5: I was going to call Texas Tech my national sleeper team, but then I saw them at #14. So much for that.

Please tell me what "sins" Michigan has committed??

Come on, you guys don't think DickRod is going to turn out to be dirty? All the s*** he pulled leaving WVU.

I don't think he's SMU in the 80's level dirty, or Free Shoe U level dirty, or Ed Martin and the Fab Five level dirty

I just think it will come out, eventually that he's up to some shenanigans.

That's true about USC though. The NCAA will never really do anything to any of their cash cows.

How do you know? The game hasn't even been played yet.

Some of you Wolverine and Spartan fans have.....

.....issues with each other.

:D

It's all in good fun right now.

Until the week of the game. Then it gets mean.

Come on, you guys don't think DickRod is going to turn out to be dirty? All the s*** he pulled leaving WVU.

No, I don't. WVU never had even a hint of NCAA trouble while he was there. Neither in recruiting nor academic shenanigans. I see no reason why it will be different here.

So you won't be talking any smack before um/OSU?

Nothing along the lines of "consider it done this year."

Besides, our last win over OSU was more recent than our last loss to State :P

I don't think he's SMU in the 80's level dirty, or Free Shoe U level dirty, or Ed Martin and the Fab Five level dirty

I just think it will come out, eventually that he's up to some shenanigans.

That's true about USC though. The NCAA will never really do anything to any of their cash cows.

Every college football coach in America is a little bit 'dirty'. Was Lloyd Carr perfectly ethical while recruiting, and doing all the other daily work? No. Is Tressel, or any other Big Ten coach? No. Every Big Ten coach has "stolen" a recruit from another Big Ten school before signing day the last 2 years except NW.

So is RR a little dirty, or as Joe Tiller would say "snake oil" technically yes, but do I think he will be Pete Carrol dirty? No way. Like BRTD said there isn't a track record of it. Hopefully it stays that way.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

^^^

You know, that's fair. Just because RR is a slimeball, doesn't mean he runs a dirty program.

Although I can say with some confidence that State hasn't been dirty since Saban. If Bobby and JLS were cheating, that just means they're even worse coaches than I thought.

Why is RR a slimeball? Because he coaches Michigan now? BTW I seriously laughed out loud when I read the comment about JLS, and Bobby.

RR left West Virginia for an all around better. Dantonio did the exact same thing 2 years ago leaving Cincy. Both left the Big East, both got out of their contract. The only difference is West Virginia fans proved to be literally psycho, and wouldn't let it go stirring up a bunch of ridiculous articles/stories. Cincy fans just said "Screw it, lets call Brian Kelly!"

Speaking of Brian Kelly he will be the head coach at Notre Dame within 2 seasons. Write it down. You heard it first.

Nah, October will be.....when Michigan State goes down to AA and comes home with bragging rights.

Bragging rights? I'll take a 8-2 record for a ten year span any day of the week against Spartina. If MSU falls to a very young team in transition this season you better be here eating your crow.

P.S. - Why even waste your time with the Freep? It is the worst written big city newspaper in the United States.

Bragging rights? I'll take a 8-2 record for a ten year span any day of the week against Spartina. If MSU falls to a very young team in transition this season you better be here eating your crow.

At least MSU didnt lose to Appy State :ph34r:

Michigan State should have won the Michigan game last year. The way I see it, this is the Spartans best shot at being Big Blue in quite sometime. I will eat my crow but I wont have to.

At least MSU didnt lose to Appy State :ph34r:

Michigan State should have won the Michigan game last year. The way I see it, this is the Spartans best shot at being Big Blue in quite sometime. I will eat my crow but I wont have to.

SHOULD HAVE won, but like usual they had their collapse and they didn't. They should have won when Braylon went crazy, and they should have won the year after that but they didn't. Should have doesn't count as a win. Michigan should have beat App State, but they didn't...I'm over that I give all the credit to them for believing in themselves, and proving the whole world wrong. You can bring up App State all you want for a easy come back, because that game will be talked about the rest of our lives, but remember MSU lost to the team that lost to App State that year.

SHOULD HAVE won, but like usual they had their collapse and they didn't. They should have won when Braylon went crazy, and they should have won the year after that but they didn't. Should have doesn't count as a win. Michigan should have beat App State, but they didn't...I'm over that I give all the credit to them for believing in themselves, and proving the whole world wrong. You can bring up App State all you want for a easy come back, because that game will be talked about the rest of our lives, but remember MSU lost to the team that lost to App State that year.

I'd rather lose to a Michigan team that lost to App State, than lose to App State.

MSU should have won two out of the last four, possilbly three. Sadly, moral victories don't count for anything.

2004: Stanton getting hurt sealed the deal. Michigan had no answer for him that day.

2005: A toss up. The lack of a kicking game hurt the Spartans all year and the game against UM was no exception. A real kicking game could have won it, but the game was too back and forth to say for sure. As a side note, I was at that game. When Peko recovered the fumble and ran it back for the TD, that's the loudest I've ever heard Spartan Stadium.

2006: We got our ass kicked, no two ways about it.

2007: To me, this one is more frusterating than 2004. Stanton getting hurt is one of those things in football you can't control. This one, MSU shot themselves in the foot. The Spartans had this game. Then for whatever reason, they took their foot off UM's throat and went from playing to win, to playing not to lose. I hate the prevent defense, especially when you start using it with a decent amount of time left. Once the Spartans starting giving UM 7-10 yards on every throw, I said to myself "I've seen this before and I know how it ends." Sure enough.

I think the Spartans have a good shot this year, but I'm not about to say it's a sure thing. I'm not sure if this MSU team will be better than last years. I see another 7-5 season. Dantonio is making the right moves, but its going to take some time to recover from Bobby and JLS.

But man, it would be sweet to beat UM this year. Give DickRod a nice welcome to the rivalry.

Nah, October will be.....when Michigan State goes down to AA and comes home with bragging rights.

I suppose sometime soon, Sparty will be due for their twice-a-decade win over Michigan, since the count stands at 1 this millenium.

Til then, Little Brother doesn't have the bragging rights just yet, though you wouldn't know it given all the yapping coming out of East Lansing.

I'd rather lose to a Michigan team that lost to App State, than lose to App State.

That's cause you're supposed to lose to Michigan.

MSU should have won two out of the last four, possilbly three. Sadly, moral victories don't count for anything.

2004: Stanton getting hurt sealed the deal. Michigan had no answer for him that day.

2005: A toss up. The lack of a kicking game hurt the Spartans all year and the game against UM was no exception. A real kicking game could have won it, but the game was too back and forth to say for sure. As a side note, I was at that game. When Peko recovered the fumble and ran it back for the TD, that's the loudest I've ever heard Spartan Stadium.

2006: We got our ass kicked, no two ways about it.

2007: To me, this one is more frusterating than 2004. Stanton getting hurt is one of those things in football you can't control. This one, MSU shot themselves in the foot. The Spartans had this game. Then for whatever reason, they took their foot off UM's throat and went from playing to win, to playing not to lose. I hate the prevent defense, especially when you start using it with a decent amount of time left. Once the Spartans starting giving UM 7-10 yards on every throw, I said to myself "I've seen this before and I know how it ends." Sure enough.

I think the Spartans have a good shot this year, but I'm not about to say it's a sure thing. I'm not sure if this MSU team will be better than last years. I see another 7-5 season. Dantonio is making the right moves, but its going to take some time to recover from Bobby and JLS.

I agree with this. Good analyst. I really agree on the moral victories topic. I swear I heard that 5 games near the end of the Michigan hoops season, and I said 'you know what, who cares?'. If you showed me a schedule from last year I couldn't be able to show you the 'moral victories, where the players finally understood the offense'. The bottom line is a win is a win, and a lose is a lose.

The thing about Michigan State's season last year that really impressed me is that they were in every game last year. They lost Wisconsin by 3, they lost to Northwestern in OT, Ohio state loss by 7, Iowa loss in 2OT, Michigan loss by 4, and BC loss by 3.

Take those games, give me 2 of those losses into wins and MSU is tied for 2nd overall in the Big Ten.

Michigan State had a good season last year despite letting a few games go. If Dantanio can find a way to get his team to finish, Michigan State is a sleeper in the Big Ten this year. They already have a great HB, solid QB, they have a history of great WRs...even when no one is slated as the go-to-guy early on (Thomas last year), and a strong OL. The D worries me a bit but I think they are gonna be ok. St. Dic's departure hurts the team more than Thomas does.

Bottom line. I think Michigan State has a golden opportunity to show that they belong this year and if they dont take advantage, they might never get another shot like this for a long time.