• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

I'm not trying to take away from the win, because they clearly deserved it, but it was FAR from a good win. We saw horrendous football from both teams today, Notre Dame was just quite a bit less bad than Michigan.

I will agree that it wasn't pretty, but it is a good win for the Notre Dame program. I don't care how bad Michigan played - Notre Dame took advantage of the mistakes and earned the victory. If I remember correctly, it was raining for both teams. Don't get me wrong - the Irish still have a long way to go, but this is a huge confidence booster for a young team that really needed something to believe in.

I will agree that it wasn't pretty, but it is a good win for the Notre Dame program. I don't care how bad Michigan played - Notre Dame took advantage of the mistakes and earned the victory. If I remember correctly, it was raining for both teams. Don't get me wrong - the Irish still have a long way to go, but this is a huge confidence booster for a young team that really needed something to believe in.

I agree. Notre Dame took advantage of Michigan's costly mistakes.

I know its early to tell but I think this is the game that Michigan couldn't afford to lose. With Wisconsin and Illinois next on the schedule, I dont see there is anyway they arent 1-4. Toledo is probably Michigan's next win.

Feagin is no longer a QB. He is a slot WR. I am happy with Threet's improvement so far, and I hope it's the last I will ever see Sheridan on the field again. What a frustrating game. Not impressed with ND one bit. U-M beat themselves. At least you could see more improvement in many areas, yet many more still to go. I expect MSU to slaughter ND next weekend.

As for the Bucknuts....I'll just leave it at that :P

That's pretty weak honestly. It doesn't matter if you are impressed with Notre Dame, but give some credit where it's due. Michigan couldn't hang on to the football, and Notre Dame capitalized on the mistakes. Turnovers and special teams were going to be the difference, especially in the weather conditions in South Bend yesterday.

Maybe Charlie Weis wasn't so far off when he made the statement Michigan would have excuses when they lost. Here's a nice quote from UM's Stevie Brown: "We don't have our heads down now because we know who the better team was." The better team actually won the game there Stevie.

That's pretty weak honestly. It doesn't matter if you are impressed with Notre Dame, but give some credit where it's due. Michigan couldn't hang on to the football, and Notre Dame capitalized on the mistakes. Turnovers and special teams were going to be the difference, especially in the weather conditions in South Bend yesterday.

Maybe Charlie Weis wasn't so far off when he made the statement Michigan would have excuses when they lost. Here's a nice quote from UM's Stevie Brown: "We don't have our heads down now because we know who the better team was." The better team actually won the game there Stevie.

I can't agree with that. Don't get me wrong ND deserved to win because they didn't turn the ball over, and scored at least 21 points off U-M turnovers, but I still think U-M beat U-M.

10 most obnoxious fan bases :P

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?conte...p;photo=8544810

10. Florida

9. Florida State

8. Alabama

7. Ohio State

6. Clemson

5. Southern Cal

4. Oklahoma

3. LSU

2. Michigan

1. Notre Dame

That's bulls***! We all know Ohio State is number one followed by Michigan State, Notre Dame, USC and Texas :ph34r:

That's bulls***! We all know Ohio State is number one followed by Michigan State, Notre Dame, USC and Texas :ph34r:

It's all relative to personal opinion. Everyone is going to think the school they hate the most has the most obnoxious fans.

I agree with you though - Ohio State fans are the worst by far.

OSU is No. 1 for sure. When I was at the Big House last year for OSU they were outta control. I know every team has their large group of A-holes, but I did not encounter one 'normal' OSU fan all day there. We all know there is the lone exception in HockeytownRedWings though :lol:

I was surprised to see Texas on there. A few people in my family were at the Rose Bowl when U-M played Texas. They said the Texas fans were very classy.

^^^

Never had that big of a problem with Ohio State fans.

That list got the top two spots absolutely right.

That is surprising about OSU fans. I've never really dealt with a ND fan at all. I turned down tickets for Saturday so I blew my first real chance (Thank God I didn't go :lol: ). You live in Texas, are the things I said about the Horns fairly accurate, or no?

^^^

Never had that big of a problem with Ohio State fans.

That's only because they see you Sparties as a brother-in-arms - the enemy of my enemy is my friend, etc. A Michigan license plate in Ohio is like a Key This Car sign, unless you have the Spartan logo somewhere like a protective amulet.

Personally I think the list is grade-A stupidity. Or laziness. They just compiled a list of the biggest-name teams in the country is all. The top two worst fanbases in the country, in order, are Maryland and MSU. Some others that deserve top-10, if not top-5, are West Virginia, Rutgers, Texas Tech, and Tennessee. If the people who'd compiled the list actually went to games, they'd have this figured out.

That's only because they see you Sparties as a brother-in-arms - the enemy of my enemy is my friend, etc. A Michigan license plate in Ohio is like a Key This Car sign, unless you have the Spartan logo somewhere like a protective amulet.

Personally I think the list is grade-A stupidity. Or laziness. They just compiled a list of the biggest-name teams in the country is all. The top two worst fanbases in the country, in order, are Maryland and MSU. Some others that deserve top-10, if not top-5, are West Virginia, Rutgers, Texas Tech, and Tennessee. If the people who'd compiled the list actually went to games, they'd have this figured out.

Mississippi State right.

Lot of Spartan fans out there but they lay dorminat because of the years of being as you like to call us "little brother". Look at the Cubs for example. Now they have won jack s*** in the last 100 years but wear the "we are the cubs, we are the lovable losers" like a badge of honor.

I am very vocal and not afraid to show my support for the green and white....even tho I am surrounded by maize and blue.

I personally dont see why everyone is complaining about being on the list. Being on the list also means you are passionate about your team. I know people that were looking forward to this year for the Wolverines, despite not having anyone...despite having a whole new system..and despite a team that will challenge the bowl streak your team has...yet they still were like "Michigan is #1".

I agree with Blak that DickRod will be a good college coach. I just think the growing pains will be long before it happens. Hence that is why I want to pile on Michigan now...might not get a chance to for long.

I also was talking to another Spartans fan at work yesterday. We talked about how Michigan State needs Ringer like humans need air. I am convinced that without Ringer, this team is shot. We also talked about the Michigan-ND game. We didnt praise ND, but talked about how Michigan just killed themselves over and over again. We also talked about McGuffie too. How a white guy can run like that and have a terrified look on his face with every carry. McGuffie is gonna be a good back at Michigan. I think the Wolverines have to build the team around him in the next few years similar to what they did with Hart.

Yeah, Montana State is a bunch of assholes.

WVU, Rutgers, and Tech could all be on there, as could Colorado. I went to the Texas Bowl a couple years ago when Rugters played against Kansas State. It really showed the difference between the midwest and the northeast. At the start of the game when the teams ran out, the K-State fans cheered for their team and politely clapped for Rutgers. The Rutgers fans booed K-State, booed their fans, booed the refs, and booed the K-State band. It was hilarious.

Michigan and Notre Dame fans are obnoxious in different ways. WVU, Texas Tech, etc just have flat out rude and obnoxious fans. Way too many ND and UM fans are stuck in the past, yet still think college football revolves around them. ND hasn't won a national championship since 1988, or even a bowl game since 1997. Michigan has a co-national championship from 97, but the next national championship was 1948, and most of their national championships were backdated anyway. The theme song for both those schools should be "Glory Days" by Springsteen. They are still good programs, don't get me wrong. s***, Michigan still has our number. But they aren't the top dogs anymore, not even close.

But, there is one good thing about the Michigan fans. You really only have to deal with them for a few months out of the year. Once basketball season rolls around, they're nowhere to be found; or worse yet, cheering for MSU.

Ohio State should be right up there in the first couple spots, but in all honesty UM and MSU have some pretty annoying fans as well. All these big schools have a lot of pride and are willing to talk a lot of s***. I am a huge USC fan, and yes there are plenty of annoying fans. SC fans are neck and neck with Raider fans. Thats why I just watch the big games on tv.

But, there is one good thing about the Michigan fans. You really only have to deal with them for a few months out of the year. Once basketball season rolls around, they're nowhere to be found; or worse yet, cheering for MSU.

But I could say the very same about MSU fans and football. Now that MSU has a very strong recruiting class coming next year, with a new coach I've met tons of MSU football fans. I'm not saying you or Timmy are like that, and hope you think the same of me because I am alive and well in here during college basketball season just like you guys are here for football.

I can't believe I forgot about WVU. Those idiots should be No. 1 on that list. I mean all we did was steal 2 coaches, how bad is that :lol:

I know smack talking and things like that are part of the game and being a fan and good-natured ribbing can obviously be fun, but it's something I generally don't like to get into that much as you get people who will just get carried away and over the top. I just like watching games regardless of how big or miniscule the game or rival may be or if the game is an easy win or an obvious loss.

And every team or school, all of our schools included, have their share of a'hole or obnoxious fans. With that being said, some of my experiences...

The school I went to hosted Texas Tech a few seasons ago which I went back up for, and the few TT fans I tried to have a civil icebreaker conversation with were a bunch of jerks. They acted like my school was the little nobody and that they were the greatest gift to football. Well, we held them to just three points that day...

And as much of a fan I am of LSU, I just can't stand a lot of fans here that root for them. A lot of them think they are entitled to everything. When Joe McKnight (current running back for USC, #4), picked USC over LSU, it was assumed that he was a traitor, he turned his back on Louisiana, and other ridiculous vitol. Heaven forbid he does what he wants to do both on and off the football field for the next 4 or 5 years. It was pretty funny and pitiful at the same time. McKnight went to a local NeW Orleans high school which is traditionally a power house in football.

As for my school, I didn't like the atmosphere that much when I was there for the football games. I'm not one to yell at the top of my lungs or decorate myself with body paint, but half the students that were at the games were there just to socialize it seems, not watch the game. Maybe I'm not being fair since tailgating is a big part of collee football and I've never been a giant tailgating fan (though I have nothing against it obviously), but I want to watch the game.

My school had a non-conference game at Army a few seasons ago, first time I ever went to New York city and state. The West Point Military Academy is absolutely gorgeous, but the Army Cadets can get pretty rowdy and obnoxious sometimes, both good and bad.

I went to a game at BYU last year. Other than some of their student section acting goofy and loud which is to be expected obviously, that was one of the better game/fan experiences I had in recent memory. Welcoming fans and staff, open, classy, willing to talk to you regardless of if you are a fan of the opposite team, etc.

Tulane fans locally can be pretty obnoxious sometimes. They usually aren't that good in football, but my school used to be in the same conference as them and I went "home" to see my school play Tulane in either 2000 and 2001 and one Tulane fan was just getting on my nerves. Tulane was doing good this game and beating my school pretty handily that the game was all but determined by the 2nd half. This guy though was just obnoxious and ranting on, and on, and on, and on, and on about how my school was a bunch of cheaters, the refs and the whole world were against Tulane, even when they were winning and won by about 25 points. This guy was just beyond obnoxious.

And as much of a fan I am of LSU, I just can't stand a lot of fans here that root for them. A lot of them think they are entitled to everything. When Joe McKnight (current running back for USC, #4), picked USC over LSU, it was assumed that he was a traitor, he turned his back on Louisiana, and other ridiculous vitol. Heaven forbid he does what he wants to do both on and off the football field for the next 4 or 5 years. It was pretty funny and pitiful at the same time. McKnight went to a local NeW Orleans high school which is traditionally a power house in football.

I never understood why LSU fans cried about Joe McKnight. The fans that should be crying are Ole' Miss fans. After reading about how McKnight basically screwed Ole' Miss over I can't root for him even though he is a freak on the field. Just puts even more question marks around Sneaky Pete's recruiting at U$C.

I never understood why LSU fans cried about Joe McKnight. The fans that should be crying are Ole' Miss fans. After reading about how McKnight basically screwed Ole' Miss over I can't root for him even though he is a freak on the field. Just puts even more question marks around Sneaky Pete's recruiting at U$C.

I don't know the ins and outs of Pete's recruiting, but I am sure it wouldn't take a whole lot of convincing to come to a national championship contender if asked to. I know Ole Miss has an excellent program, but when given an option...I mean I doubt they bought him a Lexus or something, but I am sure some type of incentive came about. Maybe a hot cheerleader sent to his room after every win! lol.

But man he is a beast on the field. Really enjoyed watching him Saturday.

But I could say the very same about MSU fans and football. Now that MSU has a very strong recruiting class coming next year, with a new coach I've met tons of MSU football fans. I'm not saying you or Timmy are like that, and hope you think the same of me because I am alive and well in here during college basketball season just like you guys are here for football.

I don't see how you can say that about MSU fans and football. How many MSU fans can you find that don't care about football, that tune out MSU until hoops season starts up? I'm sure there's a few out there, just like I'm sure there's some diehard UM basketball fans out there. But you will have a hell of a lot tougher time finding the MSU fan that doesn't care about football than you will the UM fan that doesn't care about basketball.

Hell, use LGW as an example. Look at the UM fans that post in football threads. And then look at how many of them post in the college basketball thread. You and BRTD are the only consistent UM fans that post in anything basketball related, and he mostly posts about UVA.

I don't see how you can see that about MSU fans and football. How many MSU fans can you find that don't care about football, that tune out MSU until hoops season starts up? I'm sure there's a few out there, just like I'm sure there's some diehard UM basketball fans out there. But you will have a hell of a lot tougher time finding the MSU fan that doesn't care about football than you will the UM fan that doesn't care about basketball.

Hell, use LGW as an example. Look at the UM fans that post in football threads. And then look at how many of them post in the college basketball thread. You are BRTD are the only consistent UM fans that post in anything basketball related, and he mostly posts about UVA.

I can't argue or disagree with that. The reason I said that is because of the MSU fans I know and/or hang out with.

We have a bunch of ******* fans. It depends on your experiences. You could come down and spend the weekend with me and think we were the best fans ever or take you could take a hike down High Street and hate us all.

Ohio State are certainly amongst the most passionate which means most other people wouldnt like us.

OSU is No. 1 for sure. When I was at the Big House last year for OSU they were outta control. I know every team has their large group of A-holes, but I did not encounter one 'normal' OSU fan all day there. We all know there is the lone exception in HockeytownRedWings though :lol:

I was surprised to see Texas on there. A few people in my family were at the Rose Bowl when U-M played Texas. They said the Texas fans were very classy.

I got spit on as I walked out of the stadium to take a piss. My mom has some guy run up to her and yell "Ohio State sucks!" to her face. You want to talk about out of control....it was a different fanbase that was out of control as I experienced it.

I don't see how you can say that about MSU fans and football. How many MSU fans can you find that don't care about football, that tune out MSU until hoops season starts up? I'm sure there's a few out there, just like I'm sure there's some diehard UM basketball fans out there. But you will have a hell of a lot tougher time finding the MSU fan that doesn't care about football than you will the UM fan that doesn't care about basketball.

Hell, use LGW as an example. Look at the UM fans that post in football threads. And then look at how many of them post in the college basketball thread. You and BRTD are the only consistent UM fans that post in anything basketball related, and he mostly posts about UVA.

The problem with MSU fans and football is that they care more about Michigan football losing than State football winning. That's why I put MSU football fans among the worst. (No, not Mississippi, Montana, or Missouri, either.) I mean, did anyone see the thread on the RCMB when Bo Schembechler died? I can only describe it as glee. State fans don't care what or when or how Michigan loses, they only care that it happens.