• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

I am not convinced that Michigan will even win their first game against Utah. Utah is a good team and growing pains might start early for the Wolverines.

I hate to say I am right. This could be a long season for Michigan. Only plus I saw today for the Wolverines is there defense was strong in the 2nd half and nearly was the difference in the game.

Is Threet the QB now? Sherdian was solid early but just fell completely off the chart in the 2nd quarter.

I hate to say I am right. This could be a long season for Michigan. Only plus I saw today for the Wolverines is there defense was strong in the 2nd half and nearly was the difference in the game.

Is Threet the QB now? Sherdian was solid early but just fell completely off the chart in the 2nd quarter.

D was phenomenal, especially on Utah's last few drives. Unfortunately Steven Threet might be the worst piece of s*** I've ever seen attempt to throw a football.

Normally I'd be really depressed right now, but I'm honestly just filled with rage right now.

D was phenomenal, especially on Utah's last few drives. Unfortunately Steven Threet might be the worst piece of s*** I've ever seen attempt to throw a football.

Normally I'd be really depressed right now, but I'm honestly just filled with rage right now.

who do you want as Michigan's QB then? Sheridan? Cone? Feagin?

Might not be long before all 4 play.

Phenomenal plus extra-s***ty averages out to just OK. I wouldn't call a defense "phenomenal" that gives up 300+ yards in one half. If they'd have played like that all game, things would have been great.

Don't really understand your rage at Threet. Sheridan was worse. And the offensive line was worse than anything, ever. It's going to be a long year if that's our running game.

Don't really understand your rage at Threet. Sheridan was worse. And the offensive line was worse than anything, ever. It's going to be a long year if that's our running game.

I agree. When Threet came in, he missed some WRs but he was right on. It looks like to me like this team needs to hang out with each other more, that the timing isnt there.

Utah is also they were able to escape with a win. That game wasnt even that close. Penalties and turnovers almost cost the game for the Utes.

Phenomenal plus extra-s***ty averages out to just OK. I wouldn't call a defense "phenomenal" that gives up 300+ yards in one half. If they'd have played like that all game, things would have been great.

Well yeah, I obviously meant phenomenal in the second half.

My rage at Threet basically comes from his inability to complete a pass on the last 3 or 4 drives. I don't care how well he played before that, when he needed to do it, he couldn't.

I'm not throwing away the season or even any single games because I do think Michigan will improve greatly in the next couple weeks, but this loss was just really disappointing.

All I can say about the MSU vs Cal game is that MSU looked like the Same Old Spartans. they took far to many stupid penaltys and the defence was pourus when it needed to come up with a big stop. Hoyer showed once again that he is a mediocre QB at best.

All I can say about the MSU vs Cal game is that MSU looked like the Same Old Spartans. they took far to many stupid penaltys and the defence was pourus when it needed to come up with a big stop. Hoyer showed once again that he is a mediocre QB at best.

They are not putting away the Bears when they get a chance. Cal is a very good team tho so to me this is a tough game for MSU to win. Not many teams can beat Cal.

Hoyer is still better than Sheridan and Threet.

For those who might be thinking Michigan's season is over after another season opening game loss (and I know I don't know the Michigan team that well and don't know the latest and greatest about the team b/c I don't live up north), this isn't a fluke-type loss like last year for the Wolverines where a I-A team should usually beat a I-AA team by at least 30 points.

Utah is that good, and if it weren't for BYU being the favorite of the non-BCS conferece teams to break through, Utah would be picked to win the Mountain West Conference by most people with a pulse who are logical. As long as they don't lose games that they should win on paper, they are going to be a legit top-25 or borderline top-25 time.

Michigan might be in "rebuilding" mode per se, but this opening game/loss shouldn't be the deciding factor for the rest of their season.

Kudos to my school for putting on a dominating defensive effort to win 26-3 at New Mexico and giving the offense short fields most of the game, good to always start off conference play with a win.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I was at the MSU/Cal game. Tough loss. Dantonio has this program moving in the right direction, but like I've said before, its going to take a while to undue the damage that has been done. The weather was perfect and there were a ton of Spartan fans there. I've read its estimated there were about 10,000. Cal's stadium is a dump, its like a small version of Michigan's. Not much in the way of tailgating either.

Cal's running game and defense impressed me a lot. Jahvid Best was an absolute beast. If that guy even saw a sliver of running room, he was gone. The other back, Vereen looked pretty good as well. The d-line and linebackers shut down Ringer. I think MSU is going to miss Caulcrick more than they thought.

For MSU, Dell looked good. I didn't think there was enough evidence to overturn his touchdown. The refs were pretty bad, but they didn't lose the game for MSU.

And cheer up, Michigan fans. Sure, UM getting beat with their fancy new coach was the second college football story on Sportscenter. And sure they talked about App State all day. At least you weren't Texas A&M. Mike Sherman's first game back in Aggieland and they lose to Arkansas State. Ouch. That's much worse than Utah.

Overall, it was a poor showing by the Big 10 in competitive games. They beat up on cupcake teams. But MSU, UM, and Illinois all losing to good teams doesn't look good.

I was at the MSU/Cal game. Tough loss. Dantonio has this program moving in the right direction, but like I've said before, its going to take a while to undue the damage that has been done. The weather was perfect and there were a ton of Spartan fans there. I've read its estimated there were about 10,000. Cal's stadium is a dump, its like a small version of Michigan's. Not much in the way of tailgating either.

No worries. It's built smack on top of a major fault line, so sooner or later they're gonna find that 50 yard line seats on one side are 30 yard line seats on the other.

I hope I never see Sheridan take a snap again. Some of those balls he threw up for grabs, and lofted were inexcusable for a college QB. You also knew he was he was throwing to every time because he only looked at one target every time he dropped back. Threet will struggle big time too, but might as well ride him. His ceiling is wayyyy higher potential wise, and he has a much better arm.

The thing I don't understand is why Brown/Minor hardly played. We all know McGuffie is a freak, but seriously he is a horrible blocker (which most freshmen RB's are). McGuffie/Shaw should play a lot, but to give them way more chances then two good players who have been around a while shouldn't happen.

I can't even guess how many times I've been to the Big House for a game, and I can't tell you a time the crowd has had such an exciting vibe to it (and I've been to OSU, MSU, ND, Wash, and PSU games). On top of that that stadium is going to be beautiful. The pictures do no justice to how big it is going to be. The new Victors walk is one of the best ideas in a long time. It is such a cool experience.

This is going to be a long year, but I think at times it will be really exciting to watch.

This is going to be a long year, but I think at times it will be really exciting to watch.

Sounds like John L. Smith football. When MSU running the spread was on, it was a lot of fun to watch. But it could make for some long games, and seasons.

It will be interesting how DickRod plays out in Ann Arbor and how much time he gets, especially since he wasn't the first choice for UM. My gut feeling is he's either going to be amazing and earn UM some national titles that aren't backdated. Or he's going to have a John L. Smith flameout. It's going to be spectacular one way or the other.

No worries. It's built smack on top of a major fault line, so sooner or later they're gonna find that 50 yard line seats on one side are 30 yard line seats on the other.

They said Cal is in the process of building a new stadium. They are planning in building a lot of their sports facilities because they are one of the worst in the country. They said the girls softball team has to change in their cars. :yowza:

Big Ten was bad but it cant be as bad as the ACC. Did they even show up this weekend?

First NC State scores zero against South Carolina.

Wake, Ga Tech, Miami, Duke and BC did what they were supposed to do.

Va Tech proves why they are overrated with their loss to East Carolina.

Virginia loses at home to USC 52-7. To their defense tho, they did play USC.

North Carolina and Maryland barely beat McNeese State and Delaware.

oh and the night capper....#9 Clemson lost to #24 Alabama, 34-10

Damn.

Sounds like John L. Smith football. When MSU running the spread was on, it was a lot of fun to watch. But it could make for some long games, and seasons.

It will be interesting how DickRod plays out in Ann Arbor and how much time he gets, especially since he wasn't the first choice for UM. My gut feeling is he's either going to be amazing and earn UM some national titles that aren't backdated. Or he's going to have a John L. Smith flameout. It's going to be spectacular one way or the other.

I agree with this, but I think RR is a much better coach then JLS. I also disagree with people who say the spread will fail in the Big Ten because it did for JLS. Every team in the Big Ten is spread now except MSU, OSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin, and I'm sure once Pryor has control of the team OSU will switch to some type of it as well.

They said Cal is in the process of building a new stadium. They are planning in building a lot of their sports facilities because they are one of the worst in the country. They said the girls softball team has to change in their cars. :yowza:

Not building a new stadium, just a new set of facilities for the team (practice, academic, etc.) But the stadium isn't going anywhere.

I agree with this, but I think RR is a much better coach then JLS. I also disagree with people who say the spread will fail in the Big Ten because it did for JLS. Every team in the Big Ten is spread now except MSU, OSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin, and I'm sure once Pryor has control of the team OSU will switch to some type of it as well.

Agreed on both points. Although to be fair to JLS, I don't think he's a horrible coach, he does have 132-86 lifetime record. But he was clearly not the right man for the job at MSU. And I do think RR is a better coach.

MSU still runs some spread formations under Dantonio, they just don't run it exclusively anymore. I like Dantonio because I think he's got a good balance of the run and the pass, and mixing up formations.

I'm thinking Rutgers/Fresno State is going to be a good game. Unfortunately I'm going to be traveling and miss it. It will be interesting to see how Rutgers does without Ray Rice. Go RU!

How many guys did Threet overthrow today? Four? There were some wide-open receivers that Threet threw five yards beyond.

Offense looked better anyway, but Miami is garbage so that doesn't say much.

Probably. Off the top of my head he missed Hemmingway twice, and Butler once...all 3 would have been TD's with Henne in there. Right now I'm trying to figure out what offense is worse: ND, or U-M.

Probably. Off the top of my head he missed Hemmingway twice, and Butler once...all 3 would have been TD's with Henne in there. Right now I'm trying to figure out what offense is worse: ND, or U-M.

Hemingway twice, and Butler once, and I know he missed Odoms once too. So at least four.

Saturday in South Bend may be one of the ugliest football games ever. First team to 14 points will probably win the game. Charlie pretty much has to beat Michigan, or the boosters/alumni will be calling for his job after the San Diego State near-disaster.

I waited nine months for the new and improved Irish, and all Saturday looked liked was the nightmare from last season. Still no running game (against the worst run-defense in the NCAA), Tenuta's blitzing was very ineffective, and the most disappointing part was the complete lack of intensity or passion. Clausen was the best player on the field, and he won ND the game in the fourth quarter. I thought Weis no longer calling plays would be a positive, but Haywood was way too conservative.

I'm trying to convince myself Notre Dame wasn't showing their hand before Michigan came to town. If not, it's going to be another long, dreadful season.