• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

The Official 2008 Detroit Lions Thread

Rate this topic

Lions Wins  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

for stanton's first time out and with limited time, he didn't play half bad. he was a little jumpy and he didn't have his internal clock set right, but thats expected with a rookie. I would like to see him play more. He definitely did not "Embarrass himself" as the coaches said last week, I thought he held his own quite well. I have no opinion on Culpepper yet, as he only practiced for 3 days with us. I say give Drew the reps this week and turn him loose next week full time.

God I can't wait to see Marinelli's ass fired. I'm sick of this whole coaching staff, especially Rod and Joe Barry. What a bunch of hacks. Marinelli is a slightly better coach than Marty Mornhinweg, which is like saying Charlie Weis isn't quite as fat as Mark Mangino. I will be pissed if any single one of these coaches still has a job with the team next year.

Are they really going to black out the traditional Thanksgiving day game???

I can't imagine people would sell out ford field to see these 0-16 jokes.. but i wouldn't mind sipping on cheap beer and watching from teh comfort of my couch

Edited by OsGOD

anyone got any ideas on how to build this program up the right way?

Here is mine:

--Ford Sr. is never gonna sell so the least he can is hand the reins over to Ford Jr.

--Fire GM Mayhew, management personal (excluding owner), coaches....hell, even the water boy & the guy that plays Roary.

--Hire Scott Pioli to run the personal in the same title Matt Millen had. Give him COMPLETE control and a $hitload of money. Trust is his ability to turn this franchise around.

--Hire Josh McDaniels (NE offensive coordinator) as head coach. Let him bring in his coaches to run this team.

--You can get rid of everyone little by little but a few players. Jason Hanson, Nick Harris, Ernie Sims, Leigh Bodden, Daunte Culpepper , Calvin Johnson all stay. Culpepper stays because you can use a veteran QB if your the Lions.

--Bring in Matt Cassel to give McDaniels a QB who is familiar with his system. Let Cassel and Culpepper battle for starter but odds are that Cassel would win.

--DRAFT WELL!! Do not draft a QB. Draft "meat and potatoes" players like lineman or linebackers. No flashy players like a QB or WR who will never live up to their full potential without lineman to block.

--Bring back a much more ferocious looking Roary lions mascot. Sometimes I just look at the current mascot and think "Paws could so kick Roary's ass"

Edited by timothy1997

I was reading somewhere that the Lions should "update" their logo/uniforms like Tampa, Denver, Seattle, NE, Atlanta, or St. Louis. If we are starting to rebuild a new team here, why not re-do everything?

anyone got any ideas on how to build this program up the right way?

Here is mine:

--Ford Sr. is never gonna sell so the least he can is hand the reins over to Ford Jr.

--Fire GM Mayhew, management personal (excluding owner), coaches....hell, even the water boy & the guy that plays Roary.

--Hire Scott Pioli to run the personal in the same title Matt Millen had. Give him COMPLETE control and a $hitload of money. Trust is his ability to turn this franchise around.

--Hire Josh McDaniels (NE offensive coordinator) as head coach. Let him bring in his coaches to run this team.

--You can get rid of everyone little by little but a few players. Jason Hanson, Nick Harris, Ernie Sims, Leigh Bodden, Daunte Culpepper all stay. Culpepper stays because you can use a veteran QB if your the Lions.

--Bring in Matt Cassel to give McDaniels a QB who is familiar with his system. Let Cassel and Culpepper battle for starter but odds are that Cassel would win.

--DRAFT WELL!! Do not draft a QB. Draft "meat and potatoes" players like lineman or linebackers. No flashy players like a QB or WR who will never live up to their full potential without lineman to block.

--Bring back a much more ferocious looking Roary lions mascot. Sometimes I just look at the current mascot and think "Paws could so kick Roary's ass"

Were basically on the same page. I like that McDaniels call. I never thought of that. I would hire Floyd Resse as GM, but I guess Pioli wouldn't be bad either. I was also thinking about Cassel too. For the draft I agree on the dirty guys. Look at my Miami's turnaround this season. Parcell's wanted to fill that team up with dirty players, and happened to get a QB who isn't a stud, but he controls the game for the most part. I would draft a OL for sure with that first pick.

I actually think Culpepper could be successful next year. He is showing improvement, and if he ever is close to what he was a few years back we will be better off then a lot of other teams.

You have one MAJOR MAJOR flaw though...you didn't list Calvin Johnson on your players to keep. Shame on you!!! (-:

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

I was reading somewhere that the Lions should "update" their logo/uniforms like Tampa, Denver, Seattle, NE, Atlanta, or St. Louis. If we are starting to rebuild a new team here, why not re-do everything?

I actually think the Lions logo, uniforms are well respected and one of the best in the NFL. too bad the team wearing those uniforms is terrible.

I actually think the Lions logo, uniforms are well respected and one of the best in the NFL. too bad the team wearing those uniforms is terrible.

I think the Lions should wear the throwback uni's they wore on Thanksgiving every week. Those are sweet....once my boycott on Lions merchandise ends, I'm getting me one of those.

lol, they are sick of hearing how bad they are before the game even starts... DUH, you were 0-12... you suck! geez Riola, concentrate on playing a successful football game and then you can talk crap to the fans.

I hate the Lions jerseys. The bigger Lion on the helmet, outlined in black was a nice addition, but the Honolulu blue is awful. I would make those jerseys primary black, like Baltimore's home jerseys. I love those.....

Dude. The Honolulu blue is tradition. The black jerseys are awful, and anyway, everyone and their aunt has black jerseys. Black jerseys are "tough" and "intimidating" and all that bulls***, so everyone wants one.

Anyone see this, now? That Matt Millen might still be "in charge" behind the scenes? How big of a clown show would that make WCF? I don't mind that Dominic Raiola mouthed off, and I hope the fans really get on him and the rest of the team in two weeks in the final home game. I normally don't at all condone bad fan or player behavior, but frankly, WCF needs to be humiliated. If they lose, I want it to be ugly. Birds get flipped, trash gets thrown, security gets involved, and the margin of loss is 40 points minimum. The lasting memory of 2008 needs to be as brutally ugly as possible. I want to see WCF completely embarrassed, it's the only way anything will happen in the offseason.

Jason Hanson, Nick Harris, Ernie Sims, Leigh Bodden, Daunte Culpepper all stay

Nah, Bodden's a bum. Take him and Culpepper off the list and add Megatron (as mentioned) and Kevin Smith. Cut the whole rest of the team. At 0-16, even the dregs of the free agent market have to be better than this crap.

Dude. The Honolulu blue is tradition. The black jerseys are awful, and anyway, everyone and their aunt has black jerseys. Black jerseys are "tough" and "intimidating" and all that bulls***, so everyone wants one.

Tradition of what? Never winning a super bowl, and being the laughing stock of the NFL? Might as well start new tradition. The only real tradition the Lions have is Turkey Day, and that could be put in jeopardy in the future. The only reason I wouldn't like Black jerseys is because we would look just like Carolina.

Tradition of what?

This:

Barneydet.jpg

barry_sanders.jpg

csanders.jpg

doakwalker.jpg

layne.jpg

nighttrainlane.jpg

schmidt.jpg

The Lions don't suck because of Honolulu blue jerseys. They suck because of two men: Matt Millen and Bill Ford, Senile....uh, Senior. The Buffalo Sabres have a much better winning tradition in red and black than in blue and gold and that didn't stop them from realizing they'd made a mistake with their colors. The Tigers sucked donkey ass on the same historical levels the Lions do and I bet you'd have been almost as pissed as I'd have been if they'd gotten rid of the old English D for a black uniform.

The Lions don't suck because of Honolulu blue jerseys. They suck because of two men: Matt Millen and Bill Ford, Senile....uh, Senior. The Buffalo Sabres have a much better winning tradition in red and black than in blue and gold and that didn't stop them from realizing they'd made a mistake with their colors. The Tigers sucked donkey ass on the same historical levels the Lions do and I bet you'd have been almost as pissed as I'd have been if they'd gotten rid of the old English D for a black uniform.

I see your point. Absolutely losing the old english D would be awful, and I think teams like the Sabers change stuff for marketing purposes. The thing is with the Tigers they have won rings, they have been elite. They just had some rough decades, but they still had several great moments through out the century. Lions on the other hand can't say that. They obviously had some great players, but thats about it. If the Tigers, or Wings changed their jerseys big time I would be furious. I was pissed when the Pistons got those awful turquoise jerseys too, but thankfully the switched back. With the Lions though I feel different. What's the worst that can happen? The Bucs, Broncos, Chargers, and others have done it.

I see your point. Absolutely losing the old english D would be awful, and I think teams like the Sabers change stuff for marketing purposes. The thing is with the Tigers they have won rings, they have been elite. They just had some rough decades, but they still had several great moments through out the century. Lions on the other hand can't say that. They obviously had some great players, but thats about it. If the Tigers, or Wings changed their jerseys big time I would be furious. I was pissed when the Pistons got those awful turquoise jerseys too, but thankfully the switched back. With the Lions though I feel different. What's the worst that can happen? The Bucs, Broncos, Chargers, and others have done it.

The Lions have exactly as many championships as the Tigers do. They just came closer together. In fact, since 1950, the Lions have more. Just cause it wasn't the Super Bowl doesn't make it less of a championship.

As for the Bucs, Broncos, and Chargers.....the Broncos, I personally think, made a colossal mistake. The Bucs had only been in the creamsicles for just over 20 years. The Chargers change all the time - they don't have any common traditional look at all, except for the lightning bolts on the helmets. The Honolulu blue and silver dates back to 1930 and the Portsmouth days. It's older than most of the league's traditional looks, like the Raiders' silver and black or the Steelers' black and gold, or the Browns' orange and brown.