• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Question for everybody regarding Hossa

Rate this topic

Ultimately, the Wings would need Zetterberg and Hossa to take significant discounts to be able to retain both players, even without keeping Franzen, Samuelsson, Hudler, Downey, and Kopecky around. There's only about $13.5m before any cap increase to retain all seven players. Given that both Zetterberg and Hossa are expected to make around $7m, it would be foolish to expect to keep both.

The ideal situation is that Zetterberg and Hossa sign long-term for a largely discounted deal around $4m each, Franzen and Hudler both sign long-term for around $2m each, and then Sammy, Downey, and Kopecky are either signed or replaced close to league minimum. More likely is that Hossa is gone, the cap space is still used up on the same players, except Helm, McGrath, or someone else is on the roster instead.

no way in hell zetterberg or hossa sign for 4 mil a year, let alone both of them. our only hope is that the cap goes up significantly this year.

i think the chances of hossa staying are pretty slim. i'll be sad to see him go, i'm sure, but you can't blame the guy. it's a miracle he's here for this year. hopefully the organization and the history here combined with an insanely talented team will make a lasting impression on him. the wings are clearly one of the best organizations to play for in nearly every regard. but his pay pay-cut would be so hefty that i doubt the joy of being a wing will make up for it.

let's just hope the cap goes waaaay up.

let's just hope the cap goes waaaay up.

Not likely unless new revenue streams are developed. Not sure what's in the pipe in terms of TV revenues, etc., but there is a real risk that the cap could even fall. The Cdn dollar vs. the US dollar has dropped about 5% or so in the last year and whether Bettman will admit it or not, that will have a pretty big impact in the cap since 30-40% of league revenues are earned in Cdn dollars.

Not likely unless new revenue streams are developed. Not sure what's in the pipe in terms of TV revenues, etc., but there is a real risk that the cap could even fall. The Cdn dollar vs. the US dollar has dropped about 5% or so in the last year and whether Bettman will admit it or not, that will have a pretty big impact in the cap since 30-40% of league revenues are earned in Cdn dollars.

O'kay, so the solution is simple....we just get Z and Hossa to sign reduced contracts in Canadian Dollars! :hehe:

DISCLAIMER: The above was an attempt at humor....

I would not mind if he left Detroit after this year, especialy if we won. Would be great if he played one year with Detroit, won one cup, and never came close again... Just being selfish.

... or we could win the cup this year, Hossa will want another one and to stick with the team, so he'll re-sign for less and we'll win 5 straight.

Ahh... in a perfect world...

I haven't really seen a Hossa interview and have no idea how money hungry he is. There is $15.483 million for next year if the cap stays the same. You have to sign both Z and Hossa for at least $7 million each. Zetterberg is more likely to sign for less but combined I don't see how they could be signed under $14 million. If the Wings really impress Hossa this season he might consider staying put.

That leaves $1.483 million to sign Hudler, Franzen, Samuelesson, Kopecky, Downey and Conklin. Franzen, Hudler and Kopecky would be pretty hard to replace. We'd have to see a salary cap boost. Say $4 million. Then you might be able to squeeze the guys in for reasonable payment. Probably not.

Not so sure on that.

Not to jinx Hank, but he's had his fair share of nagging injuries - primarily his back...If he went down this season, & needed surgery (see Steve Sullivan) it wouldn't surprise me at all if Holland were to sign Hossa for a few more years, and quite possibly shaft Hank by not offering long term/big bucks.

It'll be a cold day in hell before Holland courts Hossa over Zetterberg. Regardless of how well Hossa performs (and he will perform), Zetterberg is the future face of the Red Wings.

I haven't really seen a Hossa interview and have no idea how money hungry he is. There is $15.483 million for next year if the cap stays the same. You have to sign both Z and Hossa for at least $7 million each. Zetterberg is more likely to sign for less but combined I don't see how they could be signed under $14 million. If the Wings really impress Hossa this season he might consider staying put.

That leaves $1.483 million to sign Hudler, Franzen, Samuelesson, Kopecky, Downey and Conklin. Franzen, Hudler and Kopecky would be pretty hard to replace. We'd have to see a salary cap boost. Say $4 million. Then you might be able to squeeze the guys in for reasonable payment. Probably not.

Even a $4 million cap boost wouldn't work.

Hossa - $7.45

Zetterberg - $7

Franzen - $2.5

Hudler - $2

Samuelsson - $2

Kopecky - $1.5

Downey - .5$

Conklin $1

= $23.95

That would require a $8.46 cap jump. How much did it go up last season?

Can't wait to see some friendly competition between Z and Hossa though.

Let's hope the competition is friendly ;)

Sorry for a side question, but has anyone heard anything at all (rumors or otherwise) about Hossa in the lockerroom? Meaning, is he a funny, likable guy? A quiet, intense competitor? A whiny little so-and-so? I've literally heard nothing at all recently and am curious as to what demeanor he'll bring to the club off ice.

Even a $4 million cap boost wouldn't work.

Hossa - $7.45

Zetterberg - $7

Franzen - $2.5

Hudler - $2

Samuelsson - $2

Kopecky - $1.5

Downey - .5$

Conklin $1

= $23.95

That would require a $8.46 cap jump. How much did it go up last season?

Can't wait to see some friendly competition between Z and Hossa though.

The cap went up about 7 mil last year. If it does so again this might be workable.

Hossa stays the same at 7.45

Z gets about the same say 7.5 (which is a raise of 4.6)

Franzen gets 3.0 (raise of 1.8)

Rex goes up to 2.0 (raise 0.8)

Sammy is gone

Kopecky is gone

Conklin is gone

Downey is gone

It all hinges on the cap increase.

It needs to be AT LEAST 7 mil.

The cap went up about 7 mil last year. If it does so again this might be workable.

Hossa stays the same at 7.45

Z gets about the same say 7.5 (which is a raise of 4.6)

Franzen gets 3.0 (raise of 1.8)

Rex goes up to 2.0 (raise 0.8)

Sammy is gone

Kopecky is gone

Conklin is gone

Downey is gone

It all hinges on the cap increase.

It needs to be AT LEAST 7 mil.

I just checked, it went up 6.4 last year.

I agree that Hank is more or less the future of the team - however if he were injured this year (more specifically a serious back injury which required surgery, & months of rehab), & misses most of this season, & playoffs - both Holland, & Ilitch may be wary of giving Hank "his due", & instead focus on tying up Hossa for a few more years.

Nothing personal to Hank, but it would be smart business by Holland/Ilitch.

That is worst case scenario in OH so many ways...

I just checked, it went up 6.4 last year.

Wow, that leaves a chance. If it goes up $6 mil again this year then there is slightly less than $21 mil. Hossa and Z would take up about $15 mil. I expect to see Z behave like Lidstrom and sign for around $7.5 mil (or maybe something closer to Datsyuk's $6.7mil). Hossa might want more than the $7.45 mil benchmark next season. Which still might work.

Anyways, that leaves $6 mil for everyone else. Maybe they can continue with the increasing pay amounts into the following season like with Kronner and Cleary.

Franzen - $2.2 mil (more next season) ^1.5 mil from this season

Hudler - $1.6 mil (more next season) ^ .45 mil

Sammy - $1.3 mil ^ .2 mil

Conklin - $.8 mil ^.05 mil

= $6 mil

Kopecky and Chelios are odd men out. You could swap Sammy for Kopecky. That's with just a $6 mil increase. Hopefully it raises between $7 mil and $8 mil or more. I hope Hossa really enjoys playing for us this season. If he took the $7.45 mil this year he might stay on for something near that. If the Wings have a really good season I don't know why he would want to leave a great team in his prime. How much did he make in Atlanta?

I think that if Hossa plays well for us this year, then of course we would all love to have him back. However, we have more important guys to re-sign (ie. Hank), and if there is not enough left for Hossa then it would suck to see him leave, but I think most people would understand why he did.

You must've not read my entire post.

I did, thanks.

Hank just won the Conn Smythe. Kenny has been quietly building the team -- present and future -- around him for several seasons now, and Babs has been grooming him to shoulder the weight of the captaincy when Nick decides to hang 'em up. He's done nothing but deliver, season in and season out. Losing time to his back wouldn't change much, especially in an organization that preaches familial loyalty above all else. Just look at Kronwall.

Having said this, Kenny has said in no uncertain times that his plan is to retain both Hank and Hossa. And it can conceivably be done.

Edited by Dabura

I think, unlike Pitt fans, we expect him to leave after this year. If he plays good, he buys into our team's style, and we can fit him in, AFTER ZETTERBERG and FRAZEN, then yeah, I'd like for him to stay. However, I don't want to lose either Mule or Zetty, no matter how good Hossa plays.

I'm convinced that anyone who would take Mule over Hossa has never actually seen Hossa play.

It's not so much the play, it's the type of people they are, and how well they buy into our style. Frazen is a known, Hossa is not. I think he'll fit in well with the team. And I'd love to him, but, right now, I feel a little more strongly of Frazen than Hossa. Sue me.

And, yes, I've seen him play. I've seen him sitting on the ice with his head hung low while we were behind the net celebrating our 11th Stanley Cup win.

It's not so much the play, it's the type of people they are, and how well they buy into our style.

I've seen him sitting on the ice with his head hung low while we were behind the net celebrating our 11th Stanley Cup win.

Sounds more to me like bias. Which is fine -- myself, I'm a huge Franzen fan. I was in the minority of LGWers who said he was worth keeping when he was slumping early last season.

But, bottom line, if you have a straight-up choice between him and Hossa, you take Hossa. It's a no-brainer.

Mule's had a revelatory half a season. Barring the grace of God, he won't continue that pace. Hossa's been one of the most consistently effective and dependable scorers in the game since his rookie season. He's the same age as Mule; he's not much smaller; he's faster; he plays a better defensive game (I'd put him right up there with Datsyuk and Zetterberg in terms of two-way ability); he's smarter; he's shiftier; his production is, like I said, a known, whereas Mule is a question mark; and he's shown that he's willing to put winning ahead of money in coming here. Hossa is a franchise player, Mule is not. The one advantage Mule has is his ability and willingness to crash the crease, a la Homer.

Again, though, Holland seems set on retaining "the big 3," so we'll see.

It's not so much the play, it's the type of people they are, and how well they buy into our style. Frazen is a known, Hossa is not. I think he'll fit in well with the team. And I'd love to him, but, right now, I feel a little more strongly of Frazen than Hossa. Sue me.

And, yes, I've seen him play. I've seen him sitting on the ice with his head hung low while we were behind the net celebrating our 11th Stanley Cup win.

Franzen is a known to the Wings maybe, but overall he is a much greater unknown. He had a career high 38 points last season and went on a ridiculous goal scoring streak. What his point production will be year after year is still largely unknown. The second half of last season could have been an aberration, or an indication of his new-found scoring prowess.

Hossa meanwhile has been in the league full time since '99 and has seven 60+ point seasons. He's a solid two way player and it sounds like a good guy in the lockerroom. He left a ton of money on the table to come to the Wings for a year, so odds are he's dedicated to their style and system.