• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Saran

Helm/Leino deserve Samuelsson's roster spot

Rate this topic

Had a chance to watch tonights game, 1st of the season for me. It was a great game. Well played and fast paced. Helm's speed is amazing. Ken Holland did an extended interview durnig the 2nd period and discussed the challenge of getting under the salary cap. He's going to move a defense man, just not sure who. And with Cheli getting hurting tonight, it may make the decision easier or more difficult. Either way the guys looked good. Just couldn't bury the biscuit during their 5 on 3.

Edited by DogBolter

Are you really ready to defend that statement based on one preseason game?

Or how about Helm's whole performance in the playoffs last year being the Anchor of that 4th line.

Or how about Helm's whole performance in the playoffs last year being the Anchor of that 4th line.

If you're going to include last year's playoffs you can't ignore Sammy's two goal game against the Pens.

Just to clarify, I'm more playing devil's advocate on this one, as I don't really like Sammy either, and I'm usually the first one to make fun of him (however, for the price, I think he fits into our system well). Helm is more of a shutdown forward from the looks of things, so I would rather Leino replace him, and if he's going to do that, he's going to need to be able to score on a regular basis as well as contribute defensively. The Wings organization has seen too little of him in NA style hockey to entrust him with that role just yet. Maybe next year, though.

If you're going to include last year's playoffs you can't ignore Sammy's two goal game against the Pens.

Just to clarify, I'm more playing devil's advocate on this one, as I don't really like Sammy either, and I'm usually the first one to make fun of him (however, for the price, I think he fits into our system well). Helm is more of a shutdown forward from the looks of things, so I would rather Leino replace him, and if he's going to do that, he's going to need to be able to score on a regular basis as well as contribute defensively. The Wings organization has seen too little of him in NA style hockey to entrust him with that role just yet. Maybe next year, though.

Haha, I sadly totally forgot about that 2-goal game that was hilariously awesome. Yeah I dunno, I just get sick of seeing Sammy put one in the goalies chest and try to dangle like he is datsyuk. He's too streaky for me to like and I guess Leino isn't proven but I would love to see what he has to offer because really I think he could work quite well (his shootout goal is something sammy should watch). It's weird to say this but ... It sucks to be so deep.

Helm looked better than Hossa too.

Agreed- I almost felt like Hossa wasn't trying to win a spot in my heart. Like he already knew I loved him.... Helm on the other hand was trying to woo me like crazy.

Wait... what were we talking about?

Sorry to kill your Helm man-love, but Hudler was the anchor. Helm was a big part, but that line doesn't work if it's a guy like Kopecky, Maltby, or Downey in that spot instead of Hudler. Replace Helm with one of those guys, and the line is still quite effective.

Agreed? helm/leino are amazing out there, f*** sammy get him outta here

It is the preseason.

Samuelsson has been with this club for 3 seasons now, 4th upcoming.

It's going to take a lot more than just 2 or 3 preseason games for one newbie and another almost newbie to knock Samuelsson out of the lineup.

If only Sammy, Lily, Lebda and Maltby could retire.

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Hossa

Franzen - Zetterberg - Hudler

Cleary - Filppula - Leino

Helm - Draper - Kopecky

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Stuart - Kronwall

Ericsson - Meech

Chelios

Edited by DatsyukownzU13

Sorry to kill your Helm man-love, but Hudler was the anchor. Helm was a big part, but that line doesn't work if it's a guy like Kopecky, Maltby, or Downey in that spot instead of Hudler. Replace Helm with one of those guys, and the line is still quite effective.

taking Helm off that line would have been just as bad, he was usually the best forechecker night in and night out and created the most turnovers, Hudler was great but it was both of them combined that created opportunities... you can't just assume the line would be effective still because of Hudler

I wouldn't want to remove Sammy but I like the idea of waving Maltby and replacing him with Helm. Sammy is versatile and gives us another point man on the PP, he's defensively responsible and generates a lot of shots which leads to rebounds and scoring opportunities. He also performed fairly well in last years playoffs and I think he's well worth his paltry salary too. Maltby is signed for next year too and there's no way I would want him taking up a roster spot this year AND next year when there appears to be so much more talent coming up that is younger/faster/cheaper and can contribute on the score board more often than Malts can at this stage in his career. I know he's been a Wing like "forever" but all good things come to an end. We have plenty of penalty killers (Cleary, Draper, Z, Dats, Franzen, Filpulla, Helm) to replace him as that is really the only thing he does well anymore.

I would take Helm this year and waive Maltby.

If only Sammy, Lily, Lebda and Maltby could retire.

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Hossa

Franzen - Zetterberg - Hudler

Cleary - Filppula - Leino

Helm - Draper - Kopecky

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Stuart - Kronwall

Ericsson - Meech

Chelios

BAM! no meech tho

You know what? I'm not a Sammy fan by any stretch but I'm going to just say this:

Sammy's a great checking line player to have because he's defensively responsible, cheap as hell and inexplicably has multi-goal games.

I just don't think Sammy should go before Maltby does.... I know Maltby is important as a partner for Draper on the pk, but I think that's just a chemistry thing. I'd replace Maltby with Helm or Leino... I really like Leino's performance so far (2 goals and 1 assist in 4 games), but Helm has been amazing so far and really creates something great out there when he gets into his high tempo game.

And hell- is there anything sicker on the 4th line than Helm and Draper skating circles around the other team? They'd make a great pk line along with Cleary as well.

Guest Crymson

Or how about Sammy being one of our top-scoring fowards last playoff year?

Agreed those 2 played a great game, game in game out. I'm hoping to see the lines this way :

Hossa Datsyuk Holmstrom

Hudler Zetterberg Franzen

Leino Flip Cleary

Samy / Maltby Draper Helm <---- What a line lol :$ I don't know why but that can be such an energy line

* I don't know why but it's like Cleary has fallen off the radar, not that I don't think his still good but

Reserves / Injuries Abdel

Lidstrom Rafalski

Kronner Stuart

Lilja Lebda

Or how about Sammy being one of our top-scoring fowards last playoff year?

What makes you think that given his ice-time and PP time, a player like Leino or Helm couldn't match that?

Hudler was getting 4th line minutes and had more points than Sammy who was playing 2nd line minutes for a majority of the playoffs. Man, if Leino shot over 200 shots in a season I'm sure he could put in at least 11 goals.