• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008-09 College Hoops Thread

Rate this topic

How bout a ranking for Michigan this week, eh? I think they deserve one with UCLA and Duke as notches on the belt. If they can avoid any bad losses in the next four games before the Big Ten season starts, a tournament berth will be theirs with a .500 season in the conference. Bring on Sparty! Only one game this year and it's at Crisler.

Absolutely, they should be ranked. Wow, just think if they would have hung on against Maryland. I thought they blew the Maryland game. The thing I can't get over about this team is the chemistry. Seriously look down the roster, besides Sims/Harris what is there? Wright, Lee, Merrit, and Gibson would hardly get no playing time at most of the other Big Ten teams....maybe no playing at at all! Then you got Novak, who had 2 scholarship offers to D1 schools (Valporaiso, and Michigan.). Same for Douglass (Western Michigan, and Michigan). I expected both Douglass/Novak to be contributers down the road hopefully based on their offers, and all their "flaws". How the heck does Beilein find these 2 kids? They are a bunch of outcasts that gel great together.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

How bout a ranking for Michigan this week, eh? I think they deserve one with UCLA and Duke as notches on the belt. If they can avoid any bad losses in the next four games before the Big Ten season starts, a tournament berth will be theirs with a .500 season in the conference. Bring on Sparty! Only one game this year and it's at Crisler.

Which means UM can count it as a win since they'll get Big 10 homecookin'. I love college basketball but I hate watching the Big 10 half the time. The home team (doesn't matter who it is) always seems to get the calls. And as a side, its pretty stupid that UM and MSU only play once.

Anyway, Michigan absolutely deserves to be ranked. Is this what one can expect from Beilein's system, beating UCLA and Duke, and needing an overtime buzzer beater to be Savannah State? Not taking anything away from those two big wins at all. I guess consistency is hte next thing to work for.

Anyway, Michigan absolutely deserves to be ranked. Is this what one can expect from Beilein's system, beating UCLA and Duke, and needing an overtime buzzer beater to be Savannah State? Not taking anything away from those two big wins at all. I guess consistency is hte next thing to work for.

Thats apart of rebuilding I guess. Like I said above I still don't know if they can make the tourney. Some pieces just are not there, and they lack experience. I guess it's kind of like last year when MSU football allowed 40+ points in a lose against NW, but at the same time made a lot of improvements at other places, and ultimately went bowling.

Oh, and please tell me this link is just a bunch of blogging BS...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/89416-b...for-arizona-job

Which means UM can count it as a win since they'll get Big 10 homecookin'. I love college basketball but I hate watching the Big 10 half the time. The home team (doesn't matter who it is) always seems to get the calls. And as a side, its pretty stupid that UM and MSU only play once.

I think the inconsistency is mainly because this isn't actually a remarkably talented team, outside of Harris and Sims. The seniors are in primarily supporting roles, and the team depends a lot heavier on freshmen than MSU does. And the best player is a sophomore. But there's a lot more good than bad going on. It wouldn't surprise me to see another Savannah State game in the next four somewhere (EMU, Oakland, FGC, NCC), but I expect there'll also be another Norfolk State beatdown or two.

just two days away from MSU-UM game at Ann Arbor. Any thoughts, comments? This thread is sorta dead this year and just trying to spark it up a bit.

I see three potential problems for State.

1: The 1-3-1 zone. It's given State trouble all year.

2: No Raymar Morgan. It's not as bad as missing Suton earlier in the year, but he will be missed.

3: If Ed Hightower refs the game. Then we can look for another game where MSU shoots 4 free throws and UM shoots 25.

I see three potential problems for State.

1: The 1-3-1 zone. It's given State trouble all year.

2: No Raymar Morgan. It's not as bad as missing Suton earlier in the year, but he will be missed.

3: If Ed Hightower refs the game. Then we can look for another game where MSU shoots 4 free throws and UM shoots 25.

Funny you say No. 3, because I was going to say the same thing. I think it will be an interesting game, and I hope it's a good one. Michigan needs some people to step up. Lavel Lucas Perry has fallen off the map, along with Novak/Grady. I've really enjoyed watching U-M basketball this year. It can be the most frustrating thing ever at times, but I love watching that style of offense/defense when it works.

I would say that the game being in Ann Arbor will tilt the scale, making it a closer game than if it was at Breslin. Not the case this year. MSU is rock solid on the road this year.

I don't even think this game is that close. With or without Raymar.

I would say that the game being in Ann Arbor will tilt the scale, making it a closer game than if it was at Breslin. Not the case this year. MSU is rock solid on the road this year.

I don't even think this game is that close. With or without Raymar.

I don't know about that. I could see MSU wasting U-M, and I can see U-M winning. It just depends what U-M team shows up. If both teams play good MSU will win. I was scared to death of Suton because U-M lacks height, but Thabett didn't do near as much damage as I thought he would. I really just don't know, and keep going back and forth. I guess I'll say I'm cautiously optimistic.

Live by the 3, die by the 3. UM shot 16.7% from behind the arc tonight. Add in Walton's lockdown defense on Manny Harris, and it was another MSU victory at Breslin East.

Good thing UM fans don't consider us a rival and/or don't care about basketball. Otherwise they might be upset.

hey blak. How do you think this spartan team will do come tourny time? If given the right bracket, I can see them making a serious run. The final four is in Detroit this year which can make things very interesting if they make it that far.

hey blak. How do you think this spartan team will do come tourny time? If given the right bracket, I can see them making a serious run. The final four is in Detroit this year which can make things very interesting if they make it that far.

This team has national championship potential. They're not the front runner, but if this team is firing on all cylinders, they are tough to beat.

Live by the 3, die by the 3. UM shot 16.7% from behind the arc tonight. Add in Walton's lockdown defense on Manny Harris, and it was another MSU victory at Breslin East.

Good thing UM fans don't consider us a rival and/or don't care about basketball. Otherwise they might be upset.

Where are they putting the billboard for this one?

That was a good win, and standard B10 basketball right there. That was much more entertaining then watching Michigan burst their bubble, and watch Manny ride pine the whole OT!

I didn't see the game, but I read about it. What the hell was up with B_ leaving his best player on the bench for OT?

My uneducated guess is that he didn't run the play he was supposed to at the end of regulation.

I agree. That play was terrible, and you knew someone messed it up. Harris also said after the game the play wasn't designed for him to get the final shot, and knowing how Harris likes to force things when it isn't going his way he probably tried to be a hero.

I agree. That play was terrible, and you knew someone messed it up. Harris also said after the game the play wasn't designed for him to get the final shot, and knowing how Harris likes to force things when it isn't going his way he probably tried to be a hero.

If that's the case, why punish your team by leaving your best player on the bench. Make Harris run laps in next practice or something.

I was looking at Michigan's remaining games. Why do they have back to back games against the Gophers? What a tough way to end the season as well. Purdue at home, then at Wisconsin and Minnesota? Ouch. Oh well, the NIT will be happy to have you guys.

If that's the case, why punish your team by leaving your best player on the bench. Make Harris run laps in next practice or something.

I was looking at Michigan's remaining games. Why do they have back to back games against the Gophers? What a tough way to end the season as well. Purdue at home, then at Wisconsin and Minnesota? Ouch. Oh well, the NIT will be happy to have you guys.

I agree about Harris, but I don't think anyone will know the real reason why. Michigan doesn't have back to back games with Minnesota. It says that because it is still up in the air if it will be on CBS, or ESPN I believe.

The final 3 games blow. I'll be happy with one win. I was expecting, and would be happy with the NIT this year due to the 10 win season, and a roster fiilled with JV caliber Amaker players on the team still, but I'm not going to lie after beating Duke/UCLA the NIT would kind of taste sour.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434