• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

55fan

Penalties called according to the score?

Rate this topic

Shouldn't be too surprising to many in here now (also putting your mousie on thingies to click as well :P).

What I cannot stand in here is when people in here blame referees for the Wings losing or think that there is a refereeing conspiracy or bias against the Red Wings.

Do referees play a hand in determining the outcome in a game? Without question. Are they the main reason you lose? Very rarely. Officiating is just inconsistent for better/worse and it's a part of the game now for every team and all across the league. You deal with it and whatever other adversity comes to you during a game.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest nutz2u

Chelly isn't the only one with that opinion. I've been reading it all over the net. Mickey is purple about it along with a lot of other announcers.

Edited by nutz2u

"We're going to help out the team that's behind by giving them powerplays and penalizing the harder-working, more skilled teams once they get ahead."

Sounds kinda like Marxism/Redistribution of Wealth of hockey.

You mean like a salary cap to guarantee that every team turns a profit?

"We're going to help out the team that's behind by giving them powerplays and penalizing the harder-working, more skilled teams once they get ahead."

Sounds kinda like Marxism/Redistribution of Wealth of hockey.

That kinda sounds like.....nevermind.

But in all seriousness, the officiating has become a farce in the league today.

The thing that really bothers me is not so much the calls but the inconsistency of them. If they are going to call a penalty on the wings then call it on the other team as well. It seems that a penalty in the 1st period is not a penalty in the 3rd.

That kinda sounds like.....nevermind.

But in all seriousness, the officiating has become a farce in the league today.

:lol: I am pretty sure I caught your drift there. Definitely true.

Anyways, the officiating is awful. It's so predictable that any time a team gets a lead, they will be spending more time killing penalties. Unfortunately it hurts the Red Wings more than most teams because of their skill and ability to get leads. Ultimately, it's another grand concept of Bettman's NHL where more scoring and close games have to be the standard. It's fixed parity, which is a joke. On that note, I was laughing so hard the other night when Ken and Mick were making fun of Bettman and "competitive balance."

Do referees play a hand in determining the outcome in a game? Without question.

I don't see how anyone could not take issue with this. IMO, no officiating in any sports should impact the result of the game. If it does, they have not done their job properly. Simple.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but there is no doubt games are being called based on the score. I'm seeing it in almost every game I watch (not just Wings games). Where is the integrity Bettman?

I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but there is no doubt games are being called based on the score. I'm seeing it in almost every game I watch (not just Wings games). Where is the integrity Bettman?

He has none. Zero. Zilch. Nil.

I don't see how anyone could not take issue with this. IMO, no officiating in any sports should impact the result of the game. If it does, they have not done their job properly. Simple.

Not every single call is black and white. There is some gray to a lot of the calls. There is a human element. To expect perfection in over a thousand games a year is crazy. Unless you go up to the booth for every single call and wait for a slow-motion replay to decide if a play was a penalty or it just appeared to be one at full speed, then there will be some bad calls. What needs to happen is consistency. We wouldn't be having this conversation if a penalty was a penalty no matter who the official is, what period the game is in, or what the score is.

It's obvious and it is ruining the game for me. It was obvious in Pittsburgh and it was obvious when the Lightning went up 2-0 on Detroit, as well as almost every single game I have watched where one team starts to run away or one team is taking a majority of the penalties, it always seems to be "evened-up". It is league-endorsed cheating as far as I am concerned.

Not every single call is black and white. There is some gray to a lot of the calls. There is a human element. To expect perfection in over a thousand games a year is crazy. Unless you go up to the booth for every single call and wait for a slow-motion replay to decide if a play was a penalty or it just appeared to be one at full speed, then there will be some bad calls. What needs to happen is consistency. We wouldn't be having this conversation if a penalty was a penalty no matter who the official is, what period the game is in, or what the score is.

I am fine with mistakes being made - but what I am sick of are the "make-up" calls. Those calls make me want to barf.

It is better to let a guilty criminal go free than to convict an innocent man.

Edited by egroen

I have notice this also. Your team gets a 2 goal leads and then you called for everything. Now sometimes it can be the refs fault but not always. I mean I have watched other games and they were penaltys because plays start to become lazy and start tripping players..etc.

It starts to bother me when I have to hear after games that its refs fault for the penalties. It really isn't all there fault and even if there was some bad calls that made the game close but you still win. Let it go, you still won. Move on and worry about the next game.

Well, the owners told Bettman, we cant be competitive on our own. We can't run our own team. Please punish the good teams that build themselves the right way and have dominance as well as longevity. The salary cap wouldnt fix this overnight, so the officiating is just creating more "competitive balance" as Bettman calls it.

Also, the NHL only cares about new american audiences. When we (the die-hard fans around the league) came back in droves after the incompetent owners locked out a year of hockey we showed them they could do whatever they want and we will still watch hockey.

Granted the officials can't call "everything", but why wasn't there a problem when there was only 1 ref for each game? There are 2 sets of eyes to watch infractions and it seems to get worse every year.

I will give 3 examples, the goal off the net against the Ducks (or was it Sharks?) last year.

The goal that was knocked in with a high stick a few games back.

The goal that was knocked in with a kicking motion against the Bolts.

Also, in the 1st 14 games, the Wings had to fight off 12 5-3 disadvantages. They allowed 6 goals.

Look at how many times the Wings have been held in the same fashion they have held and gotten penalties.= (and no penalty called).

A team with the puck possession skills as the Wings should have more than 4 PP chances per game if they are averaging 5 penalty calls per game. How many times has Ozzie (or Ty) been interfered with and a goal is scored? The other night Ty couldn't move his stick to make the save. If it was Homer, 2 mins and goal disallowed.

The last few games the Wings have been called for fewer and fewer penalties due to that they now know what is called and what isn't.

Once the "D" performs as expected, they will be rolling. Don't forget, a 1 goal win gets you 2 points just as a 10 - 0 score does and goal differential doesn't count towards anything (unless all tie breakers are exhausted but unsure of this).

GO WINGS!!

I agree, I think you missed my point. I didn't ask for perfection. I asked for refs to not sway games. There's a very big difference. Some of the 5 on 3 PP's I've seen gifted to teams are not grey area calls. Borderline calls seem to be made at specific points in a game and not made at others.