• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hossa

What's wrong with Hossa?

Rate this topic

Been too busy so I haven't followed the Wings much on live TV, but how's he looking the past few games? 1a no goals in his past 5 games I believe, is it a chemistry issue? Lack of finish? Sore groin? For those of you who've watched his play closely , what seems to be the problem?

This site seems to have a lot of "what's wrong with _____" when a player doesn't score for a couple games. These guys aren't Gretzky or Lemieux, they slump from time to time. It's impossible to be consistent over the course of an 82 game season.

Hossa isn't scoring much so that when the Red Wings win, we still have something to complain about.

He is putting these boards before his point totals... f*** his contract year.

Nice.

^ Totally agree. But Zetterberg and Datsyuk played separately a lot last year, Zetterberg should be able to overcome his slump. Hossa on the other hand seems to be trying to hard. Too many fancy passes, shots missing way wide on the net.

notice what hapens when a player stops playing with Mr. Datsyuk? See Henrik Zetterberg for reference. Yet Pavs continues to excel with whomever.

You know, I hadn't really thought about this, but it's true. Franzen scored twice today playing on Pasha's wing (actually, was Pavel playing with Franzen on that PP? I can't remember), Cleary had a real nice hot streak when he was playing with Datsyuk, the same with Hossa. Hell, even Kopecky had two points when he was on Datsyuk's line. I don't think there's any question that he is a our most important player not named Nick Lidstrom.

Though, I don't think Henrik Zetterberg was a good example. Him and Datsyuk were split up a lot last season as well and he did fine. Not to mention, Zetterberg was on a 50 goal pace to start the year before getting into this drought. Obviously, Datsyuk makes him better (and Zetterberg makes Datsyuk better), but it's not like Z is some scrub who can't do anything unless he is paired with him.

You know, I hadn't really thought about this, but it's true. Franzen scored twice today playing on Pasha's wing (actually, was Pavel playing with Franzen on that PP? I can't remember), Cleary had a real nice hot streak when he was playing with Datsyuk, the same with Hossa. Hell, even Kopecky had two points when he was on Datsyuk's line. I don't think there's any question that he is a our most important player not named Nick Lidstrom.

Though, I don't think Henrik Zetterberg was a good example. Him and Datsyuk were split up a lot last season as well and he did fine. Not to mention, Zetterberg was on a 50 goal pace to start the year before getting into this drought. Obviously, Datsyuk makes him better (and Zetterberg makes Datsyuk better), but it's not like Z is some scrub who can't do anything unless he is paired with him.

Zetterberg is the perfect example, he and Datsyuk have rarely played a single shift together this season and yet again it looks like Datsyuk is going to lead the team in points and out perform Zetterberg.

On pace totals, as of today:

Z:

80GP 33G 41A 75P

D:

82GP 32G 58A 91P

Datsyuk has and will lead this team in points for the third season post lockout and more than likely would have during the lockout. The stats have shown in the past that his performance actually increases when Z is out of the lineup.

Hes the reigning Selke and Lady Byng winner and Z had his best career season while playing with him. While Datsyuk also did see a ten point increase on his person best total. Pavel also scored 87 points, two seasons in a row before scoring 97 last season.

In the same fashion, Zetterberg seen a 4 goal and seven point increase from his person best playing with Datsyuk. Playing with Datsyuk also let him be more of a shooter, resulting in 100 more shots taken, compared to the previous season.

All of this being said, its clear that Datsyuk is the most consistent Red Wings player in the lineup. Past playoff no-shows aside, hes the offensive leader of this team. The PP runs through him, every shift he creates a scoring chance, even playing with guys like Flip, Kopecky or Cleary.

It seems with fans around these parts, they're more excited about what they think Zetterberg will be, instead of appreciating the fact that Datsyuk is already that. Hes the best player on the team and hes doing things that all time Red Wings greats have also done.

Someone please make a decent argument as to why Zetterberg should be the "Next captain" or should have ten mill thrown at him per season and i'll listen but none of it is backed up by statistics or reason. Its mostly the same crowd that thinks Detroit will die when Lidstrom retires, the only reasoning they have is the stretch of games two seasons ago where Lilja-Meech was the #1 pairing and Ericcsson, Quincey and Ledba rounded out the rest.

It baffles my mind how underated Datsyuk is, if he were Canadian or Swedish he would be the golden child. If Z wants a penny over $7.4 million or dare I say $6.7 million, than the DRW should let him walk. Filipulla is being wasted on the third line and Franzen and Hossa both bring the same game as Z but are more physical.

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hudler

Franzen-Filipulla-Hossa

Leino-Cleary-Samuelsson/Helm

Maltby-Draper-Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lilja-Ericsson/Lebda/Chelios

Conklin

Osgood/Howard

Thats a solid lineup and much more stable than spending the farm on Zetterberg, paying Ovechkin money up front in an attempt to lessen the cap hit on a massive 7-10 year deal.

If we keep Zetterberg, the reigning Conn Smythe winner, TSN "Player of the year", you can count on losing Hossa, Hudler and possibly Conklin or Franzen.

The fact is, even though hes done alot for this team, the biggest problem with Zetterberg is the fact that he has too much hype. Its the same problem Tampa Bay got into with Richards. Yes, he stepped up during a 25 game playoff but on the other hand, he only outscored Hossa by one point and Datsyuk by three, he hardly blew the competition out of the water.

Personally I have not seen a bad game from Hossa at all this season. Just because he doesn't get points in every game he plays doesn't mean he is ineffective on the ice or slumping. Hossa works hard every shift. every night in all aspects of the game. Hasn't he been voted the #1 star in several games this season that he has not posted any points? Hossa is truely amazing and worth every penny.

Hossa's playing great. He's a streaky player though. He's had his chances, he's just missing it by that much. His defensive play has been outstanding.

once he puts another one in, he'll go 5 or 6 games with a goal or two each game.

I wouldn't worry about him. 8-)

Hossa isn't scoring much so that when the Red Wings win, we still have something to complain about.

:D

Anyways, pretty much any player imaginable whether they are good or bad, superstars or role players, are going to go through dry streaks in terms of points and goals.

Would pairing him up against with Datsyuk help? Perhaps so, but it took him the first couple games to score his first goal as well, being paired with Datsyuk.

It is just a dry streak, nothing more or less.

Hossa's playing great. He's a streaky player though. He's had his chances, he's just missing it by that much. His defensive play has been outstanding.

once he puts another one in, he'll go 5 or 6 games with a goal or two each game.

I wouldn't worry about him. 8-)

Agreed ... at the beginning of the year he was trying just a little too hard, waiting a second too long, squeezing the stick a little too tight, etc., but once he got rolling he was fine. The sore groin and different line combo will work itself out, and he'll get going again soon. No worries.

Zetterberg is the perfect example, he and Datsyuk have rarely played a single shift together this season and yet again it looks like Datsyuk is going to lead the team in points and out perform Zetterberg.

Z:

80GP 33G 41A 75P

D:

82GP 32G 58A 91P

Datsyuk has and will lead this team in points for the third season post lockout and more than likely would have during the lockout. The stats have shown in the past that his performance actually increases when Z is out of the lineup.

Hes the reigning Selke and Lady Byng winner and Z had his best career season while playing with him. While Datsyuk also did see a ten point increase on his person best total. Pavel also scored 87 points, two seasons in a row before scoring 97 last season.

In the same fashion, Zetterberg seen a 4 goal and seven point increase from his person best playing with Datsyuk. Playing with Datsyuk also let him be more of a shooter, resulting in 100 more shots taken, compared to the previous season.

All of this being said, its clear that Datsyuk is the most consistent Red Wings player in the lineup. Past playoff no-shows aside, hes the offensive leader of this team. The PP runs through him, every shift he creates a scoring chance, even playing with guys like Flip, Kopecky or Cleary.

It seems with fans around these parts, they're more excited about what they think Zetterberg will be, instead of appreciating the fact that Datsyuk is already that. Hes the best player on the team and hes doing things that all time Red Wings greats have also done.

Someone please make a decent argument as to why Zetterberg should be the "Next captain" or should have ten mill thrown at him per season and i'll listen but none of it is backed up by statistics or reason. Its mostly the same crowd that thinks Detroit will die when Lidstrom retires, the only reasoning they have is the stretch of games two seasons ago where Lilja-Meech was the #1 pairing and Ericcsson, Quincey and Ledba rounded out the rest.

It baffles my mind how underated Datsyuk is, if he were Canadian or Swedish he would be the golden child. If Z wants a penny over $7.4 million or dare I say $6.7 million, than the DRW should let him walk. Filipulla is being wasted on the third line and Franzen and Hossa both bring the same game as Z but are more physical.

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hudler

Franzen-Filipulla-Hossa

Maltby-Draper-Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Conklin

Osgood/Howard

Thats a solid lineup and much more stable than spending the farm on Zetterberg, paying Ovechkin money up front in an attempt to lessen the cap hit on a massive 7-10 year deal.

If we keep Zetterberg, the reigning Conn Smythe winner, TSN "Player of the year", you can count on losing Hossa, Hudler and possibly Conklin or Franzen.

The fact is, even though hes done alot for this team, the biggest problem with Zetterberg is the fact that he has too much hype. Its the same problem Tampa Bay got into with Richards. Yes, he stepped up during a 25 game playoff but on the other hand, he only outscored Hossa by one point and Datsyuk by three, he hardly blew the competition out of the water.

Wow, you sure took that little tidbit and ran with it. Did you join this morning just to share your disdain for Z?

Z:

80GP 33G 41A 75P

D:

82GP 32G 58A 91P

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hudler

Franzen-Filipulla-Hossa

Maltby-Draper-Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Conklin

Osgood/Howard

I agree. Datsyuk is underrated.

But Zetterberg is Jesus.

Edited by steveyzerman

I believe his groin is hampering him slightly, but as others have said...it isn't realistic to expect him to score consistently game-in and game-out. He started the season slow and now he's hit a slight rough patch throughout the line juggling. He'll be fine....there's too much talent there for it to last too long.

:lol: Classic!

Dear Babs, alot of LGW fans are getting restless by the fall in production of Z and Hoss.

Could you please put them on Pasha's line for a few games just to kick start them off.

I'm sure the all Swedish line of Sammy Mule and Homer can hold their own and this would

enable the Griffs alumi line of Rex Flip and Kops to be re-united. Of course by doing this may

cause unrest amongst the pro NA fans as it would see no Canadians on the top 3 lines.

I'm sure that Drapes Dan and Malts would excel on the grinding 4th line spots left.

I'm just as happy to have a player of Datsyuk's caliber playing for a mere 6.7 million on the team. If he was Canadian and had a proportionate head, he'd get paid 8 million

Classic! :rofl:

Z:

80GP 33G 41A 75P

D:

82GP 32G 58A 91P

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hudler

Franzen-Filipulla-Hossa

Maltby-Draper-Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Conklin

Osgood/Howard

worst hyperbole I ever heard. Zetterberg overhyped?

Take Zetterberg out of the lineup last season and detroit doesnt win the cup.