• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

NHL experimenting with new nets

Rate this topic

nets_67335.jpg

The NHL tested a prototype for a new net in Toronto at a Maple Leafs practice this week.

Unlike the radically shaped larger goals that were designed several years ago, the new test model relies on differently shaped goalposts to promote scoring. The frame of the goal remains sized at six feet by four feet, but the familiar round posts are oval-shaped instead. The long, flatter side of the oval is on the inside of the frame. The theory is that the flat surface will allow pucks to bounce in off of them, rather than hit the outside of a round post and bounce out.

"Pucks were supposed to be bouncing in more than they were bouncing out and I don't know - I kind of found it the other way around," said Leafs' forward John Mitchell. "It all depends on the angle that you shoot it on. The posts and the crossbar all funnel in towards the net but you have to be kind of shooting straight on from the net in order for it to work."

NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy observed and videotaped the nets in action, and plans to present his findings to league executives in time.

"This is being looked at to give offence an advantage," Murphy told the Globe and Mail. "Maybe it's just the crossbar that makes a difference. We'll see."

The idea was first suggested by Anaheim Ducks goaltending coach François Allaire five years ago.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264137&amp...s=topStory_main

The report I saw on TSN said that it's a way of dealing with increasing the number of goals scored without making the net larger. This might just be one of the best ideas the League has experimented with in a long time. This might also mean it is doomed.

This is *exactly* my thoughts on this matter.

I'd rather the NHL experiment with a new commish.

Amen.

The Game is fine. Anyone who can't appreciate Hockey for the beautiful, graceful, brutal game that it is...

Doesn't deserve it. If they don't get it, as it stands, they never will.

I don't see how it will improve offense. It may improve the number of goals. It can't create more scoring chances. If anything, there will be less offense because the pucks won't bounce out, thus eliminating offense. The NHL needs to decide if they want more offense or more scoring and then make smarter decisions.

Clearly, as soon as games go from 4-3 scores to 6-5, hockey will become the #1 sport in the United States. That's really what's missing right now. I can't tell you how many times I've watched hockey with novices or casual fans who tell me, "You know, this is kind of fun, but 4-3 is just not enough goals. If the game was 6-5, I'd clear my calendar to sit home and watch NHL hockey." My girlfriend told me that if NHL scoring went up .75 goals per game, we'd never have to fight over the remote control again, because she'd buy $1,000 worth of NHL merchandise, order Center Ice at her house and live and breathe hockey from that moment on.

This type of a modification to the nets would take forever to completely implement to hockey abroad. It would be one thing to introduce this to the NHL, but to expect arenas across North America (and around the world for that matter) would be costly, take a long time, and in general would be difficult to get done in short order.

I say stick with the nets that are in use now. There are easier ways to increase scoring....

Clearly, as soon as games go from 4-3 scores to 6-5, hockey will become the #1 sport in the United States. That's really what's missing right now. I can't tell you how many times I've watched hockey with novices or casual fans who tell me, "You know, this is kind of fun, but 4-3 is just not enough goals. If the game was 6-5, I'd clear my calendar to sit home and watch NHL hockey." My girlfriend told me that if NHL scoring went up .75 goals per game, we'd never have to fight over the remote control again, because she'd buy $1,000 worth of NHL merchandise, order Center Ice at her house and live and breathe hockey from that moment on.

So your saying the past couple games were just a marketing ploy by the Wings?

I'd rather the NHL experiment with a new commish.

Add me to that list... they are really hell bent on more scoring huh? Maybe they could work on marketing the game better and gettting back on ESPN.

This is getting sick.

What is up with the NHL??? I love the game, most things are fine by me. Let's work on getting the calls right, consistent, and unbiased. Then let's stop trying to make it better by changing the fabric of the game.

Traditionalist, the loyal and true hockey fans should roll over in their future grave. Bettman is a joke!! Shanny please retire and take his spot.

Sorry for the drunken post y'all.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I have no doubt that Bettman came up with this winner. It seems like Bettman will do anything to increase the amount of goals per game. What's next, no goalies?

I think it's wonderful that the NHL has found something for the higher-ups to concentrate on that isn't completely stupid. It keeps them from coming up with ideas that are completely stupid.

How many times have we groaned because Sammy or Zata hit the crossbar or post? Plenty. This can only mean more goals for Z; and Sammy will learn to aim somewhere else.

Sure, it might mean more goals for the opponent as well, but we have Lilja to block the shots before they get to the net.

I suggest they put all of their decision makers on this at once, and leave them there for a long time. Kind of like giving a baby your spare keys. They can rattle them all they want, but as long as they aren't near the ignition, you're fine. And it shuts them up and keeps them happy.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I have no doubt that Bettman came up with this winner. It seems like Bettman will do anything to increase the amount of goals per game. What's next, no goalies?

Actually, I read in the tsn article that the goalie's coach for the Ducks came up with the idea five years ago.

I'm suprised that they didn't come up with a scoring system similar to football. You get six points for each goal and for an extra point the goalie gets to shoot on an open net from behind the goal line, or a penalty shot for two extra points. This would give the allusion of higher scoring along with the increased excitement for fans. Also, you get three points for hitting the post to resemble a field goal because you got close to scoring, but you couldn't finish the job.

Seriously, I hate when people say hockey is a low scoring game and football isn't. Let's say a average score is 3-2. That equates to a 21-14 score in football, which is pretty normal. No reason to increase scoring.