• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Zetterberg Extension: 12 years, $73 million

Rate this topic

(Updated)

Post-game confirmed that the presser is to announce a long-term contract agreement with Zetterberg... Reportedly worth $7-million annually anywhere from 5-10 years.

---

Mentioned early in the third period on Fox Sports Detroit... Daniels and Remond think it's a Zetterberg extension.

Let's just be glad it's finally happening!!

Are we to assume that he'll never get injured again, just because he's about to sign a contract? Come on now.

Hank will be a star contributor for this team for many many years to come, and I'm glad that he can move forward and have his mind focused only on his hockey for the rest of the season.

Edited by Yzersyukstromberg

The day after he missed 67% of game due to BACK SPASMS we announce this?

I'm pretty sure they planned the press conference right in the middle of the game.

anyway...

Hopefully it's Z's extension. About time they finished the contracts talk, he needs that weight of his shoulders.

Guest DetroitBoy313

Great to hear we're keeping Zetterberg.Sucks to see Hossa on the way out.

If it's 10 years, regardless of the money bad deal, if it's 4-6, maybe even 7, not so bad. For a guy with injury problems that he has, I dont know how you can give him a long term deal for big money. Case in point, DiPietro. But I do like Zetterberg, and he's a horse in the playoffs, so not bad.

Hopefully it's Z's extension. About time they finished the contracts talk, he needs that weight of his shoulders.

Maybe that was what was causing the back spasms ... now he should be good to go next game! :hehe:

Glad we've got him locked up, time to see what Kenny can do with the rest of them ...

I was hoping to keep Hossa instead. His back has always worried me and the day before he signs he hurts it again. Get better soon Hank, looks like you'll be a Wing for awhile.

Edit: Babs seemed concerened about Z and his history w/ his back in the PG interview.

Edited by MaynardJKeenan

I have mixed emotions on this one. I will reserve judgement until I hear the term and the dollar amount. Make no mistake I want Z signed and I am sure the dollar amount will be fine, I am just concerned about the term with his back.

Ok, I am usually a well focused person with the Wings- I don't fly off on "this goalie sucks" and I've defended Huds and Sammy on this forum many times...

...this scares me. I love Z. LOVE him. But 10 years? With his history? A $7m cap hit for those 10 years? That's just not good. 5 years/$43m. We've proven we keep Wings around- he knows that, he'll wear the C...

I really have no dislike for Zetterberg as a player or a person. He's great in so many ways. But I'll tell you, I'm with those who are a bit more concerned about the long-term nature of the deal. I'm also one of the few who would take Hossa over Zetterberg if it came between the two though. It'd be great if they found a way to keep both. Probably impossible, but one never knows.

Let the "trade Filppula!!!" rampage begin. I might have to join in with the masses on that one.

Edited by gcom007

Why is his back a concern? I'm not understanding it. If his back does become a long-term issue, he goes on LTIR and his salary doesn't count toward the cap. If he retires before its conclusion it doesn't count against the cap then either. Even if it's a "replacement" type of issue where you're forced bring another player in, fitting someone in under that speculated $7-million figure isn't going to be a problem.

The important thing is that the Red Wings just locked down one of the cornerstones of the franchise, a perennial Selke contender and Conn Smythe winner who is only going to get BETTER... and likely at around $7M/season, around $1.5-2 million less than what he could've gotten this summer.

Am I missing something here?

Why is his back a concern? I'm not understanding it. If his back does become a long-term issue, he goes on LTIR and his salary doesn't count toward the cap. If he retires before its conclusion it doesn't count against the cap then either. Even if it's a "replacement" type of issue where you're forced bring another player in, fitting someone in under that speculated $7-million figure isn't going to be a problem.

The important thing is that the Red Wings just locked down one of the cornerstones of the franchise, a perennial Selke contender and Conn Smythe winner who is only going to get BETTER... and likely at around $7M/season, around $1.5-2 million less than what he could've gotten this summer.

Am I missing something here?

thank you.