• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwings604

Franzen or Hossa?

Rate this topic

Lets see. Our goaltending sucks, and our defense sucks. A year from now, we may lose Lidstrom, and as of now, even he isn't where he used to be, with all of our other Dmen even further behind.

Matthias Ohlund or Niklas Backstrom.

We have drafted 3 goalies in 5 years maybe its time to give one a shot and get a decent goaltending coach

Guest lnvincible
We have drafted 3 goalies in 5 years maybe its time to give one a shot and get a decent goaltending coach

As much as i dont want to let Fran's go , Hossa's gotta stay.

Franzen.

I would love for them to be able to keep Hossa but unless he is willing to take a hometown discount like so many of his teammates have then i just don't see it happening.

Then again with the economy going the way it is at the moment teams may not be willing to throw around big money per season they way they have the last couple of years.

In a perfect Red Wings world both take hometown discounts and they squeak in under the cap but realistically i think Franzen will be the one who stays.

Edited by bjh14

I think everyone thinks on this forum that Franzen is expecting to get paid less then 4 million. Wake up people he will be asking over 5 million. I rather get Hossa then Franzen any day of the week. Franzen is good but Hossa's better.

Franzen is definitely not going to earn as much as Hossa, home team discount or not. So what I think would be a good way of looking at this would be Franzen + Hudler or Hossa + Sammuelson.

Ideally (which is entirely possible), Holland will try to lock up Hudler for a long term contract that increases for about 4 or 5 years. That way Holland can lowball him for next year, but it would balance out in the longrun. I'm confident in his development to take that risk personally, and I'm scared that another team will throw a high $$ contract at him. He's more valuable than Penner was IMO, so whatever Holland can do with him before free agency I think would be best. Anyway, back to my original point, if we can squeeze Hossa and Hudler under the cap, then I'd pick that 10 times out of ten. But if its Franzen and Hudler vs Hossa and Sammy, I'm going with Franzen and Hudler.

If it strictly comes down to one or the other and we're not talking about the ability to keep other players, Hossa and it's not even close. I like Franzen a lot, but Hossa is one of the top 10 forwards in the league. If you have a reasonable chance to keep a guy like that, you do it.

"But if its Franzen and Hudler vs Hossa and Sammy, I'm going with Franzen and Hudler. "

Agreed. I think as a pairing there is more upside for those two despite the massive upside for Hossa. Sammy is okay but his skills are only going to decline over the next few seasons whilst Hudler and Franzen should both improve and the way Hudler is going this season his upside is looking quite large.

Edited by bjh14

RUN, BATMAN! IT'S THE DREADED REPEAT-O-BOT!

:lol:

That said, I'll take the Franz. I think he'll be cheaper, which will allow for room to sign others. Also, I think he provides a better crash and bang player that team will need down the road.

If it strictly comes down to one or the other and we're not talking about the ability to keep other players, Hossa and it's not even close. I like Franzen a lot, but Hossa is one of the top 10 forwards in the league. If you have a reasonable chance to keep a guy like that, you do it.

agreed 100%

Hossa and its a no brainer to me

I think everyone thinks on this forum that Franzen is expecting to get paid less then 4 million. Wake up people he will be asking over 5 million. I rather get Hossa then Franzen any day of the week. Franzen is good but Hossa's better.

He shouldn't get paid more than $4 mil. $3.5 mil is about where he belongs. He's very versatile and has an accurate shot (22 goals can attest to that), but he'll never be a prototypical power-forward a la Shanahan or Tkachuk and he'll never be a point-per-game player. But you're right, he'll be asking for a lot more and I'm afraid Holland could end up overpaying for him.

Look at Filppula. Yes, he is an investment and could end up being a steal at $3 mil a season, but so far, he's grossly overpaid as a defensive/perimeter forward.

Cleary's contract looked like a steal last season. Two consecutive 20-goal seasons, 42 points, +21 and we signed him for only $2.8 mil a season? Well, he's not reaching those numbers this season (unless Babcock will play him with Datsyuk and Z for the remainder of the season). Granted, injuries played a part in his decline in production, but I remember reading comments comparing him to Patrick Sharp, who signed for $3.9 mil a season. I'm glad Holland didn't make a mistake of paying similar money to Cleary.

Alright, that was a pointless rant. If I had to pick Franzen at $4 and Hossa at $6 or $6.5, I'd pick Hossa in a heartbeat, even if it cost me Hudler and/or Samuelsson. Hossa is an elite player and at $6.5 mil a season (number I just pulled out of my ass) he'd be an absolute steal.

I don't know enough about Hossa's personality to know whether or not he is likely to take a pay cut to stay with the Wings but i'm betting he is going to be looking at at least the same kind of money as Z just got but for a shorter term contract.

If the Wings have to lost anyone on top of Franzen to keep Hossa then its definitely not worth keeping Hossa around. For example if it meant losing Hudler and Franzen to keep Hossa then production wise it doesn't make sense to keep Hossa around. With Hudler and Franzen putting up the kind of numbers they are this season, and its not unreasonable to expect them to keep putting up at least those kind of numbers over the next few seasons, then Hossa would need to be contributing close to 60-70 goals and 120-140 points to even out their loss. Hossa is good but isn't quite up to that level of production.

I think you gotta' take Hossa... of course that means he wants to stay and take a lot less money than he would get on the open market. It comes down to whether he wants to make big money and play in Edmonton or take less and play for a Cup contender.

If they sign Hossa first and I was Franzen, I would figure out a way to make it work with the Wings. Kenny has shown he can get creative with the numbers. Same said for Hudler...

Why wouldn't you want to stay in Hockeytown with Z, Dats, Lids and Hossa on the roster? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Franzen.

I would love for them to be able to keep Hossa but unless he is willing to take a hometown discount like so many of his teammates have then i just don't see it happening.

Then again with the economy going the way it is at the moment teams may not be willing to throw around big money per season they way they have the last couple of years.

In a perfect Red Wings world both take hometown discounts and they squeak in under the cap but realistically i think Franzen will be the one who stays.

Agreed IMO.

I'm certainly glad to have Hossa here, I hope the Wings can keep Hossa, but Franzen is the cheaper of the two and is no slouch in terms of being offensively productive even though Hossa wins this battle pretty much every time.

And this team proved they can win the Cup without Hossa last year, they can certainly do it again in future years without him if he isn't here.

Though I hope they will be able to keep both Franzen and Hossa, cause that would just be nifty cool. :sly::)

Teh Hoss

dude reminds me of the good ol Feds days .. plus IF he takes a hometown discount and gets a cap hit of like 6-6.5 Hudler and possibly Sammy are stickin around... Franzen is fragile and will break in the long run of things

It's tough, but I'd keep Hossa. Yes, he'll cost more. But I don't think it'll be that much drastically more than Franzen will ask for, and Hossa's upside is much greater in my opinion. Franzen's the same age as Hossa, and Hossa has shown the league what he can do consistently for years. If we could keep Franzen instead of Hossa though, it would still be a happy moment for the Wings. Both players are scarily good goal scorers, and excellent players overall.

I understand that yes, we did win the Cup with our current team minus Hossa (and Conklin), basically. But the way the team is consistently playing this year, is NOT the machine of last year that rolled fairly easily through opponents in the playoffs, and all season. It's tough to imagine where we'd be this season without Hossa- maybe not quite near the top of the Western Conference anymore. Think of all the goals Hossa has scored (or set up or played a crucial part of) that were maybe not necessarily game-winners, but picked up the team when nothing was going for anyone else. He has been vital to ANY of this team's success this year. We most definitely needed that new, hungry presence. So I don't think it's as easy as saying, "we won the Cup without him, we can do it again." Maybe we could sweep every opponent in the playoffs this year, maybe not, but as far as getting to that point, we truly, truly need Hossa.

The way I see it, it has nothing to do with Hossa or Franzen. It has everything to do with numbers. IMO, I don't think Franzen is worth over 3.5M. And I don't want to see the Wings sign ANY forward who costs 5M or more.

I'd rather see if the Wings could add a guy like Tanguay if he came at 4.5M or so. A guy that falls in between the talent levels of Hossa and Franzen, and also in between the salary schema.