• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyerberger

Leino

Rate this topic

Yea, I know it's only been 11 games so far... but damn, it's been an amazing 11 games.

5g, 8 points, 6 +/- in 11 games for this guy.. his first 11 games in the NHL, with only a half a season on American ice in the AHL. A lot of this production is on the lower lines. He seems to have conquered a lot of the knocks against him, as well.

Yea, I know it's only been 11 games, but I've seen every one, and just watching that guy on the ice, you know the Wings org has made yet another incredible steal.

Amazing.

i was lucky enough to get to see him play most of the season in Grand Rapids. I just really hope they keep him next year. I am sure they will. With possibly signing Franzen and Hossa we will obviously lose players and need cheap players to plug in. Leino would be great to keep around.

I'm impressed with Leino. I'm also very happy that Wings start getting Finns to their team too. I really like finnish player due to their "don't give up" credo. I guess they are even better than canadians in this aspect.

He turns our fouth line to something meaningful. Power forward Maltby, speedy shooting guy Draper, and playmaker Leino :)

Those guys were amazing tonight. They dominated the play while they were out there. I was watching the San Jose feed and they interviewed Draper after the second and he was saying that he really enjoys playing with Leino and thinks he's a very good player.

Seeing that first NHL goal he scored really gave everyone a glimpse into the kind of offensive player he can become. Considering his age (25), I expected a lot from him, and I have been pleasantly surprised.

I'm impressed with Leino. I'm also very happy that Wings start getting Finns to their team too. I really like finnish player due to their "don't give up" credo. I guess they are even better than canadians in this aspect.

Whoah now, let's not get carried away! :sly:

Agreed, Leino has been very impressive....but let's not get silly here. Canadian hockey players are still known for their unbelievable heart, and that's not likely a title that's going to be stolen by Finland any time soon.

Guest Shoreline

He's on the friggen makeshift grind line and scoring. Hell, even the Sharks broadcast couldn't stop gushing over him.

It's guys like that which make me excited for this team's future. Players like him are so underrated and undervalued but are absolutely essential to winning games and championships.

Edited by Shoreline

I've been most impressed with leino's work down low around the net and the boards. He seems to have a knack for controlling the puck down there and making unbelievable plays. I was worried when first reading about him that he would be another Hudler- while not necessarily bad, it's not what this team needs. It turns out he couldn't be much more different a player than Hudler is, who tends to stay out of traffic and pick his spots. I hope they keep Leino around.

There was one instance where he displayed his fantastic stick handling but it was only for a couple seconds.

He controls the puck very well. It's just that sometimes I wonder how well he can tolerate contact. I think there were two occasions where he kind of let his feet go trying to draw a penalty. It didn't look as bad as some of the dives he did in Finland but it was noticeable. But there's time for him to as Pav says, "more stronger."

Overall, I'm very impressed. He seems like a perfect fit.

the guy reminds me alot of Z... not overly quick or flashy, but tonnes of poise. he has shown that he can create his own shot. added plus is that he seems to be a threat no matter what line he's on. this guy is definitely a keeper.

This guy is generating, that is for sure. However, one concern I have about him is the physical game. I am confident it will come with time, but there are many occasions where he doesnt finish the check. I am watching him even when he doesnt have the puck and my hockey sense tells me he will hit the opposing team member just after they release the puck, and he turns back towards the defensive zone.

Its good that he is defensively minded, but I would like to see him take on the more physical aspects. I think if we can get Z and Pav (crazy hitting in all games as of recent) to initiate and finish physical parts, we can work with Ville. Overall I think it will come, just wait till the playoffs. I think, looking back, that is when it was sink or swim time with our "EuroTwins." Sometimes a little adversity is what the hockey doc ordered to get him on track to the player I honestly hope he can be.

Beyond that, he's already becoming a versatile player. Didnt he kill a penalty tonite too?

Ya he has been something else. During the game tonight, as he was exhibiting it, Mick mentioned how well the guy protects and controls the puck and he is correct about that.

Love the guy, and am looking forward to having him in the lineup in both the playoffs and next year from start to finish.

Agreed, Leino has been very impressive....but let's not get silly here. Canadian hockey players are still known for their unbelievable heart, and that's not likely a title that's going to be stolen by Finland any time soon.

Why don't you flag humpers get a room.