• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#101 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

11 yr/$3.9m cap hit is pretty bad. But there are lots of numbers beiong thrown out, so I reserve judgement until it is official.
*this space for rent*

#102 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (FinRedWing @ April 11, 2009 - 02:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love Franzen,but I thought the 11 yrs bit would've pushed the cap hit down more than into 3.9. huh.gif

Exactly. But I don't think 3.9 has been confirmed yet. It could very well be off by a little. 3.6 would still be a great deal.

This also wouldn't be nearly as bad of a deal if it weren't for Rafalski, Stuart, and Cleary all having NTCs.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#103 Kutcher

Kutcher

Rookie

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

not a big fan of this deal, defintey too long.

hopefully holland can get rid of samuelson and hudler to sign hossa for a few more years to mak up for it.

#104 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

not a fan of this at all..
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#105 pucker4fischer

pucker4fischer

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Interesting, doesn't the current CBA expire 2011? If there happens to be another lockout or something, I wonder what would happen with all these long term deals.......
Don't stop playin till you hear the whistle

#106 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (mindfly @ April 11, 2009 - 08:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think of Cleary's contract then which is 2.8M caphit, and he is utterfly worthless, 3.9 is OK but could have been 3-3.5 to be good imo.

Yeah, Cleary @ 2.8 is pretty bad too.

QUOTE (DetroitBoy313 @ April 11, 2009 - 08:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you mean it's a bad deal for Franzen himself or for the team? We all know Franzen would of got more money if he would of went elsewhere but honestly I just don't like the length of these deals Holland has been giving out lately.Something fishy is up with these long term contracts,I'm not crazy about giving Franzen 10+ years.

bad deal for the team obviously. Franzen is not worth 4 million, I'd rather have Hossa for 6 than Mule for 4.

#107 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

Not fan of this at all... 11 years WTF?!

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ April 11, 2009 - 02:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. But I don't think 3.9 has been confirmed yet. It could very well be off by a little. 3.6 would still be a great deal.

This also wouldn't be nearly as bad of a deal if it weren't for Rafalski, Stuart, and Cleary all having NTCs.

With this kind of contract there is no need for NTC...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#108 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

$3.9m for 11 years? That's about $1m-$1.5m too much.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#109 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Question. Suppose we sign Franzen to a 10 year deal at

6/6/6/5/4/4/3/2/1/1, a cap hit of 3.8

Say before year 7 we want to trade him. Does the team that takes him still get hit with the 3.8 cap hit, or would they get capped at what was left on the contract, a 2m cap hit?
*this space for rent*

#110 FinRedWing

FinRedWing

Not against the cap

• HoF Booster
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Apparently it is 3.9

The Red Wings have signed forward Johan Franzen to an 11-year contract extension that averages $3.9 million a season.

It's a front-loaded deal that includes a no-trade clause for the first five or six years. Franzen was earning $1.15 million this season and could have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

mlive
Burke.gif

#111 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Apparently he could've commanded at most a 6 mil cap hit. I guess if that's true, then the deal is not so bad. Meh.

#112 WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Reds4Life @ April 11, 2009 - 02:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, Cleary @ 2.8 is pretty bad too.

bad deal for the team obviously. Franzen is not worth 4 million, I'd rather have Hossa for 6 than Mule for 4.

i hope you meant this in the other way. He is worth at least 5-6 million right now. You cant find a 30 goal scorer for under 5 million.

#113 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ April 11, 2009 - 11:56AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cap hit is determined by the average salary over the course of the contract. It most likely is front-loaded in order to keep Franzen happy because he's going to be playing for peanuts (relatively) at the end of the contract. The fact that it's front-loaded is what's going to help the Wings keep Hossa.

OHHH, I hope, I hope, I hope.

Make it so, Kenny Baby. thumbs-up.gif

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#114 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

Just as a few of us said a long time ago! Bye Bye Filppulla, Hudler & Sammy for sure! Hello HOSSA long term! Hudler with get at least the same somewhere so HELLO 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick! Trade Flip for a 2nd and 3rd and lets go!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#115 RedSea

RedSea

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

Can't believe some people don't agree with this. We just signed a guy with Hossa-like stats for at least 2 million less than what Hossa would demand. Just because he doesn't have the track record of Hossa doesn't mean he can't keep the pace goign. I think this contract is right for both sides right now, but I hope we're not regretting this in the future when we're dishing out 10 million for two players in their late thirties (Franzen and Zetterberg).

#116 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Hmm, seems like Holland could have gotten the cap hit a bit lower if he's gonna sign a 29 year old to a 11 year contract...

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#117 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

QUOTE (RedSea @ April 11, 2009 - 08:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't believe some people don't agree with this. We just signed a guy with Hossa-like stats for at least 2 million less than what Hossa would demand. Just because he doesn't have the track record of Hossa doesn't mean he can't keep the pace goign. I think this contract is right for both sides right now, but I hope we're not regretting this in the future when we're dishing out 10 million for two players in their late thirties (Franzen and Zetterberg).

Hossa like? Hossa is much better than Franzen. Not. Even. Close.

#118 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ April 11, 2009 - 12:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Franzen's deal is for about $4m...say goodbye to Filppula and either Stuart or Samuelsson+Hudler+possibly Leino unless Hossa is not returning, unless Hossa takes a VERY cheap deal.

Honestly, right now I would not miss Stuart or Sammy. Yeah, that hints of hissiness, and yeah, I'm tired of hoping they're gonna figure it out.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#119 albo23

albo23

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

Ugh... This leaves how much left for the rest of the free agents? But umm.. Peace out Kopecky, Samuelsson, McCarty, Conklin, and Chelios. Hopefully we can keep Downey and is Haydar any good? All that possibley leaves enough for Hossa and Hudler to sign a 11 year deal? biggrin.gif

Edited by albo23, 11 April 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#120 WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

I'm not a economist or anything like that but i gotta assume that after the cap dips around 50 million for a few years that within 5-8 years it will be at 60+ and in 10 years closer to 65. thats just me though.