• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Columbus Columnist: Osgood is Wings' Weak Link

Rate this topic

Has there been a year that someone didn't question Ozzy's ability in the playoffs? Even in 98, before the long softies, he was considered the weakest link.

I think the fact that they focus on him is a great advantage. How many times do you see a team trying the long bomb thinking that those softies a decade ago are still the way past him. It always ends up the same, the puck is turned over and a scoring chance is wasted.

Of the regular season part, one of the announcers were talking about it in the first game. He had like 8 more 5 on 5 goals for the season and we know the PK was terrible this year.

As long as Ozzy plays the regular season and OZ-GOD shows up for the playoffs, it's all good.

Seriously, is it all Ozzie stepping up, or is there a different face on the whole defense?

Osgood is facing far fewer rebound chances than usual, and Lidstrom has made Rick Nash look like Joe Thornton (or Alex Rodriguez) at playoff time.

BJ fans are calling the RW defense, besides Osgood, "a force field."

Game 1. Ozzie saved the wings from a potential loss. Sure he's getting shot at less, but he's still positionally sound, controlling his rebounds well and he's not letting into any softies. But let's be honest here. Isn't the wings and ozzie playing how hockey is supposed to be played? Force as many easy shot as possible?

Never understood why a goalie needs to jump around and look like a clown whilst making a save. Or having to make saves an almost impossible angles. If having to jumping across the crease to make a lucky save is a messure of how good of a goalie you are, then I guess ozzie sucks /shrug Sorry if I sound miffed but my god this guy can't even get a nod for his efforts.

It's either:

A) We lose because ozzie sucked and we lost because of him

or

B) Win win because of the defense, ozzie played no part in that win whatsoever, and he's just lucky to play with the wings.

or

C) If it's obvious he saves the game, or series, people wil then compare him to Roy, Sawchuck and Broduer and quickly remind themselves and others that hey, this is Osgood, he's not like these other 3, so he basically got lucky. Oh, did I mention he plays for the wings? Then will patiently wait for osgood to let in 1 goal, it could be 3 shout outs and then lets in 1 goal...he'll be the whipping boy once again.

Just wait till he's gone. Most wont really notice during the regular season, but come playoffs? People will be beggin for another Osgood.

Sorry for the rant, and really not directed at you. But when I saw the "maybe it's the defense", even after this defense' stellar performance during the first 30 mins of game 1.../sarcasm...and ozzie saving the game, how can he NOT get credit?

Edited by Dynheart

Then will patiently wait for osgood to let in 1 goal, it could be 3 shout outs and then lets in 1 goal...he'll be the whipping boy once again.

Just wait till he's gone. Most wont really notice during the regular season, but come playoffs? People will be beggin for another Osgood.

I don't think a lot of Wings fans think about Osgood retiring. He has that baby face and has just kinda always been here through out the successful years. What will it be like when he does, you only have to go back to the Manny PO years to know what it is like.

I think many will never see his value until he does retire and they see that not just any goalie can drive the big wheel to a cup. They may really realize it when they find out what it will cost to replace him. Like you said, the regular season is different from the playoffs and proven playoff winners are hard to come by.

Hopefully one of the kids coming up can take on the easiest job in the NHL. Lord knows the super expensive "elite" goalies can't. (Cojo)

One thing you never seen mentioned with Osgood. Most would say that the 97 cup team was stronger than the 98 and even as good as the Wings were last year, the 02 team had to be one of the most loaded teams ever.

That means that Osgood took the weaker teams and won in the comparison with Vernon and Dom. In fact, Dom couldn't do it with the same team last year and in 07 the lost is blamed on a injury, not Dom. Yet one of the knocks against Ozzy is the 99 and 01 PO's when we had major injuries including Ozzy himself.

Enjoy what you have now people and pray that the Wings front office has produced another one because we can't afford anything else for a while.

Guest mindfly

Haven't read much just wanted to say they are kinda right though detroits offense and defense are powerful while goaltending is just average... still you can say osgood has a nice resume so to say.

My favorite part of the article was how Hitch and Babcock said the Jackets played so much better in the second game, one they lost 4-0!

Wow, an improvide 4-0 skunking! At this rate, how long after the series is over until they're actually competitive?

:D

Seriously, is it all Ozzie stepping up, or is there a different face on the whole defense?

Both. The whole team has been waiting for this time of year. I don't know that you give them a pass for being such slack-asses during the season -- people pay to see these games and they want to see their team play well and try to win -- but it is what it is, the Wings have collectively turned it around now.

You know what the really brilliant part about this is? Ozzie made two or three really excellent saves last night that kept the Jackets from making a game of it. But we're getting either Vancouver or Anaheim in the next round, and those two goalies have been turning in multiple 40+ save games. Meanwhile the Wings have shut down the Jackets' offense. So everyone's going to say our opponent has the advantage in net, and Ozzie's gonna stay pissed off and outplay the other guy just to prove a point.

Not really; Michael Arace wrote the original article and the "retraction" (more like the truth) was written by Bill Rabinowitz. Feel free to direct your congratulatory emails to Mr. Arace on a job well done.

Arace is still an ass.

In his most recent article, conceding that the Blue Jackets are all but eliminated already, he said of last night's game, "Even Chris Osgood looked good."

And how did he look in the first two games, chump?

Prove everyone wrong Ozzy! This one is for you:

1em8eq.jpg

:thumbup: nice ^^

I'm for one awfully glad he and the whole team have played as well as they have so far.

If it wasn't for that they're on the brink of elimination I'd call that article an attempt at reverse-psychology.

Not really; Michael Arace wrote the original article and the "retraction" (more like the truth) was written by Bill Rabinowitz. Feel free to direct your congratulatory emails to Mr. Arace on a job well done.

HAD TO LAUGH...today Arace wrote about Umberger and said Stuart applied a "hip-to-head shot" on Umberger. WTF? If somebody hits YOUR head with THEIR hip, you should maybe thinking of getting your head up, not implying that it was somehow a bad hit!!!!

You know what the really brilliant part about this is? Ozzie made two or three really excellent saves last night that kept the Jackets from making a game of it. But we're getting either Vancouver or Anaheim in the next round, and those two goalies have been turning in multiple 40+ save games. Meanwhile the Wings have shut down the Jackets' offense. So everyone's going to say our opponent has the advantage in net, and Ozzie's gonna stay pissed off and outplay the other guy just to prove a point.

And there will be much rejoicing. And booze.

Arace is still an ass.

Last year it was some guy at the Dever Post, followed by the other guy at the Dallas Morning News, followed by Gene Collier at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, this year...

In an effort to assist the LGW community, I have provided the email address of Mr. Arace, to be used to remind him how little he knows about NHL hockey:

marace@dispatch.com

By the way, his next big sports reporting assignment comes this July and August, when he will be a judge in the "Butter Sculpture Competition" at the Ohio State Fair.

Guest Crymson
I like that last post. Sure the 2nd period last night was kinda in the pits, but Osgood bounced back fine in the 3rd, seeming like his usual self from the first three games. Hopefully that trend continues.

It's not easy to play at 100% when one is injured.