• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hoogs

Avery punches Varlamov in face

Rate this topic

so what about the cross check he took right before that? did you miss that one?

If Your gonna go around "Goalie Smacking" every game then you should expect to have a stick in your chest once in a while....His reputation is earned..thats why no one cares he got drilled , Im glad it happened to him

This kind of crap happens all the time. If Avery needs to go then there should be a long list of others that should have been gone long ago. Pronger, Tootoo....man, the list would be huge. This crap happens ALL the time. His antics are annoying, but not serious. Bertuzzi. Claudia Las***. Marchant (when he used to aim for knees). Tootoo (tell me that 22 is not much more cheap than Avery. go ahead...try and tell me that). Gordie Howe ( he was a total bastard). Maltby gives some cheap shots every once in a while too. It's just because it's Avery.

I disagree....Avery is a Poison to the league.. Not a good role model and further more cant take the fact that his ex-girlfriend is banging a Defenseman. Plays like that do happen alot in the playoffs.. BUT it's the same player game in and game out acting like a Puss. go after a big guy like that not a goalie, Go after Green or Ovy.... Not a goalie. Avery Sucks and should.... How does that go?

It's pretty bad when your coach loses respect for you.

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

I don't remember who on Columbus it was but when they tried to drive Pavel into the ice next to the net. Klesla ? That was WAY worse that this tiny little punch. Pavel could have been seriously injured. This was nothing.

If Your gonna go around "Goalie Smacking" every game then you should expect to have a stick in your chest once in a while....His reputation is earned..thats why no one cares he got drilled , Im glad it happened to him

I disagree....Avery is a Poison to the league.. Not a good role model and further more cant take the fact that his ex-girlfriend is banging a Defenseman. Plays like that do happen alot in the playoffs.. BUT it's the same player game in and game out acting like a Puss. go after a big guy like that not a goalie, Go after Green or Ovy.... Not a goalie. Avery Sucks and should.... How does that go?

Crosby ass-punching is ok? Was his coach proud of him for that? This kind of stuff happens all the time. Oh, and Avery will ass-clown with anybody. Goalies are just more fun to clown.

I think that clip was really funny. I love that the announcer pointed out that Varlamov cannot speak english so he has no idea what Avery is saying or why he should be upset about it. That is just one of the funniest things. :)

As for Hockey Matters, who compared Avery's antics with Mr. Hockey, wow you have no idea. Gordie was a bastard, one tough SOB. He would toss an elbow in the corner as you were trying to hit him, just to let you know not to do it again. He would fight, push, toss, and play some hard nosed hockey. He would not b$#ch whine, scream, throw his glove, talk poorly about women, all antics that Avery uses. If Avery were to play hard, hit hard, and slide a few cheap shots in during a hit I could see a comparison, but he does not do this. Gordie was a tough SOB but he was nothing like Avery.

Crosby ass-punching is ok? Was his coach proud of him for that? This kind of stuff happens all the time. Oh, and Avery will ass-clown with anybody. Goalies are just more fun to clown.

Sorry I missed the all the other Crosby highlights where he made a ******** of himself during a interview calling his ex "Sloppy Seconds" on National TV. Then using his stick to tap a goaltender on the back of the head during a STOPPAGE of play. then this crap.. I understand he's a agitator, thats his role... But come on.. was it worth it?

Did Varlomov do something to get in his grill? No... he shut them guys out......he didnt go after Avery when Avery was looking skyward after being popped on his way to the net...

It's not like Avery is out there protecting anyone. He has one job in front of the net...and it's not to score.

And Crosby IS a ass-clown...just wanted to get that out there.

Amen, this wasn't a fight between two willing participants nor was it part of the play which is 99% of the things you people sticking up for Avery are referring to. This was the end of a 4-0 game, had nothing to do with the game of hockey, and was a blatent cheap shot to the goalie working on a shutout. If this is allowed, where do we draw the line?

At the end of the game should players just be running into the goalie and punching him because their team is losing? BS..........the league already suspended someone earlier for a punch to the face off a face-off, this isn't much different, its a cheap shot by a cheap player.

a crosscheck is a crosscheck...i don't think it says in the rule book that its a crosscheck unless avrey gets it done to him.

its the same ine basketball. when the big men like shaq go to the net is it ok for them to get hacked because they are so big?

Shaq-physics.

But on a serious note, don't compare basketball players to hockey players in any shape or form, don't even mention Chara would make a good power-forward....that's just wrong!

Back to the OP and the topic at hand. Avery's job is to piss off people and the other team. Mission successful. Get over it, he's here to stay whether you like it or not. Pronger does a million times worse things than Avery. Downie does as well, so does Steve Ott, so does Tootoo. I watch game in and game out Zata tomahawking guys with his stick. This sport is just as much mental as it is physical.

I thought the clip I saw was 3 - 0 in the playoffs...

I didn't think Avery was poison on the Wings and I don't now, though I think he has turned into a poor sport I can't hold anything against him from doing his thing in the playoffs, though it didn't work.

Guest micah
As for Hockey Matters, who compared Avery's antics with Mr. Hockey, wow you have no idea. Gordie was a bastard, one tough SOB. He would toss an elbow in the corner as you were trying to hit him, just to let you know not to do it again. He would fight, push, toss, and play some hard nosed hockey. He would not b$#ch whine, scream, throw his glove, talk poorly about women, all antics that Avery uses. If Avery were to play hard, hit hard, and slide a few cheap shots in during a hit I could see a comparison, but he does not do this. Gordie was a tough SOB but he was nothing like Avery.

You're right, their antics aren't similar, Gordie's were far worse. Avery talks stupid and gives a goalie a little love tap. Gordie was quiet, but would buttend people in the teeth behind the play.

Shaq-physics.

But on a serious note, don't compare basketball players to hockey players in any shape or form, don't even mention Chara would make a good power-forward....that's just wrong!

Back to the OP and the topic at hand. Avery's job is to piss off people and the other team. Mission successful. Get over it, he's here to stay whether you like it or not. Pronger does a million times worse things than Avery. Downie does as well, so does Steve Ott, so does Tootoo. I watch game in and game out Zata tomahawking guys with his stick. This sport is just as much mental as it is physical.

This, Avery did his job, and is still effectively doing it with some of the responses on this thread. This "punch" was nothing. It barely moved the goalie's mask, and this action is suspend-able and ban-able? :rolleyes:

It wasn't a fight at all. It was a facewash to a cage. No harm was done, noone got hurt. The job of an agitator is to get people off their game. Going after the goalie like that pisses off more than the goalie. Avery is doing what Avery is paid to do. If noone wanted what he was selling, he wouldn't have a job in the league.

Like I've said before, he has to be the best agitator ever, since he's pissing off fans of other teams.

Amen, this wasn't a fight between two willing participants nor was it part of the play which is 99% of the things you people sticking up for Avery are referring to. This was the end of a 4-0 game, had nothing to do with the game of hockey, and was a blatent cheap shot to the goalie working on a shutout. If this is allowed, where do we draw the line?

At the end of the game should players just be running into the goalie and punching him because their team is losing? BS..........the league already suspended someone earlier for a punch to the face off a face-off, this isn't much different, its a cheap shot by a cheap player.

and so is it right for him to get crosschecks over and over with out getting a call? players know that they can get away with doing it to avrey because most in the league have the same idiotic metality. he did it first...wah..get over it..its hockey not some damn pillow fight. and its the playoffs. i guess you guys are to young to know how it use to be. and for all of you saying that gordie wasn't a dirty player? wtf..have you need read the stories or seen the video clips? time for you youngsters to learn some history on mr hockey.

It wasn't a fight at all. It was a facewash to a cage. No harm was done, noone got hurt. The job of an agitator is to get people off their game. Going after the goalie like that pisses off more than the goalie. Avery is doing what Avery is paid to do. If noone wanted what he was selling, he wouldn't have a job in the league.

Like I've said before, he has to be the best agitator ever, since he's pissing off fans of other teams.

Tortorella was really loving the fact the team got their Money's worth.....

and so is it right for him to get crosschecks over and over with out getting a call? players know that they can get away with doing it to avrey because most in the league have the same idiotic metality. he did it first...wah..get over it..its hockey not some damn pillow fight. and its the playoffs. i guess you guys are to young to know how it use to be. and for all of you saying that gordie wasn't a dirty player? wtf..have you need read the stories or seen the video clips? time for you youngsters to learn some history on mr hockey.

Anyone who tries to compare Gordie Howe to Sean Avery...should crawl back under the rock they came from.

Gordie Howe - 2nd ALL-TIME scoring in the NHL....(even has a hat-trick named after him here) Just ONE of many)

Sean Avery - ???? does he hold ANY records?

I can't even believe the comparisons are even being made If you cant compare Gordie to Wayne....Don't EVEN try to compare Gordie and Sean..... That's pathetic.....

have you watched ANY wings games this year? Homer Get nailed EVERY GAME and we never get the PP for it...so If I don't "Feel Bad for Poor Sean Avery" oh freakin Well .....It should be on the game plan for every team....Clobber his worthless butt one good time every game.....Goalies- should "Nutt" him every time he's stands there in front like that.

No.....I Don't Like Sean Avery can you tell??

I was watching the game and thought it was all pretty silly at the time. Looking at the replay, it still is. If you look right around :55 of the clip, after getting cross-checked, Avery gets up and starts skating away when Varlamov gives him a stick in the ass. That's why he turned around and started jawing. I wouldn't call it a punch, more like a shove. Does it deserve a penalty? Sure. Suspension? Come on ...

Anyone who tries to compare Gordie Howe to Sean Avery...should crawl back under the rock they came from.

Gordie Howe - 2nd ALL-TIME scoring in the NHL....(even has a hat-trick named after him here) Just ONE of many)

I can't even believe the comparisons are even being made If you cant compare Gordie to Wayne....Don't EVEN try to compare Gordie and Sean..... That's pathetic.....

have you watched ANY wings games this year? Homer Get nailed EVERY GAME and we never get the PP for it...so If I don't "Feel Bad for Poor Sean Avery" oh freakin Well .....It should be on the game plan for every team....Clobber his worthless butt one good time every game.....Goalies- should "Nutt" him every time he's stands there in front like that.

yeah you don't like avrey we can all tell.i smell the vinegar..and i was compairing gordies cheap shots and such to avrey...i guess you miss that part. duh yes gordie did score more....no one said he didn't but gordie was a very very dirty player. what was his nic name before mr hockey??? yeah..and you guys cream over him. persoanly i don't like avrey...but to want him suspended for this after he took a crosscheck and a wack from teh goalie thats just stupid.

I was watching the game and thought it was all pretty silly at the time. Looking at the replay, it still is. If you look right around :55 of the clip, after getting cross-checked, Avery gets up and starts skating away when Varlamov gives him a stick in the ass. That's why he turned around and started jawing. I wouldn't call it a punch, more like a shove. Does it deserve a penalty? Sure. Suspension? Come on ...

yeah well you talk to sane....the angry mob wants his head.

OH NOES!! An agitator is agitating!!! So where is your dislike for Maltby? He epitomizes the cheap pest. He'll facewash, and take gloved swings at people in scrums and then skate away. But I don't recall you posting "I don't like Maltby!!!!111ONEELEVENTY"

Avery does what he does. He is successful at stirring the pot. It didn't work this game, but what are the chances someone's gonna go after him in the next game, and take a penalty they don't need to? How much focus is going to be directed at Avery, and not at playing the game?

Guest micah

Nobody that I'm aware of was comparing avery's scoring ability to Howe's - they were comparing the dirtiness of each. Why is that innapropriate? Should players be allowed to play dirtier with each coresponding goal they score in a season?

...and yes, I am fully aware that Gordie Howe played in a different era.

Avery should be suspended, whether the goalie felt it or not. Carcillo and Lucic have both been suspended this playoff for the exact same thing. Punching anyone in the face when they aren't expecting it should be suspendable and Avery did it twice. I'm so sick of this guy. Should he be kicked out of the league? No, but they need to send him a message. If it continues they need to get harsher.

Avery should be suspended, whether the goalie felt it or not. Carcillo and Lucic have both been suspended this playoff for the exact same thing. Punching anyone in the face when they aren't expecting it should be suspendable and Avery did it twice. I'm so sick of this guy. Should he be kicked out of the league? No, but they need to send him a message. If it continues they need to get harsher.

It was hardly a punch, and comparing it to cross-checking a guy in the face (Lucic) and hitting a guy with the butt-end of your stick (Carcillo) is ridiculous.

Imo a suspension would be a joke...

And yes cross checing is allowed in front of the net

"Cross-checking is an infraction in the sport of ice hockey where a player bodychecks an opponent while holding his/her stick in both hands without any part of the stick touching the ice.

While body checking is allowed, the use of the stick increases the risk of injury to an opponent. The most common penalty is a two minute minor, served by the offender. However under certain circumstances the referee may assess a major penalty (plus automatic Game Misconduct) or a Match Penalty if the action is judged to be an attempt to injure the player."

hmmm..im not seeing the part where its ok to do it in front of the net. do we really think its ok for homer to get it done to him in front?

Nobody that I'm aware of was comparing avery's scoring ability to Howe's - they were comparing the dirtiness of each. Why is that innapropriate? Should players be allowed to play dirtier with each coresponding goal they score in a season?

...and yes, I am fully aware that Gordie Howe played in a different era.

Yup Different Era so how can this be a acceptable comparison but nothing else can be?

Sean Avery to Maltby now? geez....

I dont want Avery's head.... Just wish he'd play hockey.... Last time I looked "***** slapper" wasnt a position

Yup Different Era so how can this be a acceptable comparison but nothing else can be?

Sean Avery to Maltby now? geez....

I dont want Avery's head.... Just wish he'd play hockey.... Last time I looked "***** slapper" wasnt a position

and i wish crying fans would suck it up and watch the game and stop crying abotu every little thing avrey does and wanting suspentions when there has been far worse that has not gotten even its own thread on this board. its a different era because of all the crying about getting hit...i mean now players are going after other players for a clean hit? i mean come on. suck it up and play hockey.

and yes i agree malts does get away with some stuff that he should get his ass kicked for. i like him..i like when he does that. but don't get pissed when he gets laid out for doing it.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan