• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Firehawk

Datsyuk listed as "day to day"

Rate this topic

I wont be terribly upset if Leino plays, But they better not throw him to the wolves.. Let Val take Dats spot.

It seems to me that you have some sort of issue with Leino. I have yet to see you say something positive about the guy.

Sounds like what happened to Ericsson and he played. I'm not too worried.

Update from Thursday's practice: Wings coach Mike Babcock said Pavel Datsyuk hurt his foot by blocking a shot in the last game. Datsyuk will take the pregame skate Friday for Game 3 against Chicago before it is determined whether he can play.

Datsyuk was the only player who didn't skate. Valtteri Filppula replaced him on the line with Marian Hossa and Tomas Holmstrom.

"(Datsyuk) got a rocket off the foot the other night. We'll go from there and we'll see what happens,'' Babcock said. "So he's day-to-day. It's simple."

Babcock said there's a possibility Ville Leino could make his playoff debut in Game 3 if Datsyuk can't play. It'll either be Leino or Justin Abdelkader, because Kirk Maltby is in for sure, Babcock said.

MLive

Guest E_S_A_D
HELENE ST. JAMES' BLOG

Wings' Datsyuk might miss Game 3 with sore foot

BY HELENE ST. JAMES • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • May 21, 2009

Read Comments(13)Recommend(2)Print E-mail this article Letter to editor Share Facebook

Twitter

Digg

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Buzz up!

Quick update from Joe Louis Arena today: Pavel Datsyuk missed practice and might not be able to play Friday as the Wings take a 2-0 lead into Chicago.

Datsyuk has a sore foot from a shot in Game 2.

Asked whether Datsyuk will play in Game 3, coach Mike Babcock said, "I sure hope so. He's day-to-day."

The combos at practice were:

Holmstrom-Filppula-Hossa

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Hudler-Helm-Samuelsson

Leino-Draper-Maltby (Abdelkader subbing in)

Babcock said of his adjusted lines: "I obviously made them that way for a reason."

As much as Datsyuk hasn't been producing points, he's still a significant contributor on the ice -- the Blackhawks have to watch his every move, and he consistently is a threat with the puck. He's also a great penalty killer, especially during 5-on-3s.

The Wings don't want to rule him out today, of course -- it makes sense to wait and see how he feels Friday after the morning skate. Given that Detroit has a 2-0 lead, there's room to be cautious and let Datsyuk have another two days to heal.

Guest E_S_A_D
Not good news. But I do believe Ville Leino will shine against s***cago hummingbirds.

Yes, but Leino doesn't have much of a two way game. We'll miss Pavel defensively.

I for one want to see a longer series, so Chicago winning game 3 would be fine with me.

Guest Shoreline

While the Wings won't miss any Datsyuk goals, or lack thereof, there will be a big gap to fill on creating offensive chances, forcing the opponent to alter their defense to respect Datsyuk's skill, and the defensive side of Datsyuk's game. The Wings have dealt with injuries before, and are deep enough to overcome it. Just hope Dats won't be out any longer than 1 game.

No Datsyuk, no "W."

You should probably stick to college sports.

Guest micah
Not true. Your post fails.

You make a very convincing argument. I can tell you're a bight bulb.

You should probably stick to college sports.

We'll see. My hockey takes are based on pure observation, not historical fondness. Being a long-time follower of a team can result in encyclopedic knowlege, but cyclops-pedic viewpoint.

Datsyuk changes the way the opponent has to play when he is in there. He's a constant threat on both sides of the puck.

The Wings are not so much better than the Hawks that they can win without Datsyuk, Lidstrom, or Zetterberg.

For the record, I have watched the Huskers play in 11 Stanley Cup 7th games. They are 6-5 in those games, and I picked them to win 7 of them.

GBR!

You make a very convincing argument. I can tell you're a bight bulb.

What is a "bight bulb" (you should be more careful when you are trying to insult someone).

Mark Twian's quote "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" seems especially applicable when you are trying to be rude and insult someone.

Hope it heals quickly. There is probably no better time for this to happen then at this point in the series.

Datsyuk being out will give those that are critical of him an idea of his importance to the team whether he puts up points, or not. As Shoreline observed in a previous post he will be missed on both ends of the ice.

Pavel tried to make a move along the boards late in the last game. He was unable to and had the puck taken away by Campbell, I believe. I had never seen that happen before. I thought, at the time, it may have been an injury to his hip.

Edited by MidMichSteve

Doesn't sound too bad. Thank god we won game 2 tho.

What I was thinking, this could be devastating if a lose would put us behind in the series.

Yeah, I was really surprised to see this news on Rotoworld, and it looks like it just came out. Comparing Leino and Datsyuk makes no sense b/c Leino is basically assuming Abdelkader's spot, where as Filppula would now center that top line. Filppula can play some D, but nobody's been working harder on backchecking than Datsyuk. The same could be said for Hossa, even though neither of them are scoring.

Just think of how much more tolerable a scoring drought is from your elite players when: (a) you're still winning anyway; (b) said elite players work their butts off on defense.

We'll see. My hockey takes are based on pure observation, not historical fondness. Being a long-time follower of a team can result in encyclopedic knowlege, but cyclops-pedic viewpoint.

Datsyuk changes the way the opponent has to play when he is in there. He's a constant threat on both sides of the puck.

The Wings are not so much better than the Hawks that they can win without Datsyuk, Lidstrom, or Zetterberg.

For the record, I have watched the Huskers play in 11 Stanley Cup 7th games. They are 6-5 in those games, and I picked them to win 7 of them.

GBR!

To be honest, the only thing i understood from this paragraph was that you feel the wings can't beat chicago without the likes of Datsyuk, Lidstrom or Zetterberg. In case you missed the last series, we beat a much tougher opponent in Anahiem without our best faceoff man Draper and our 2nd best defenceman Rafalski. Datsyuk registered a whopping 3 assists and finished +1 in 7 games. Also, Datsyuk was not used against the Getzlaf - Perry - Ryan line so he was counted on to score. While I appreciate the work he does on both sides of the puck, chicago is still the underdog even without him playing. BTW, I think did pretty well last year in the conference finals when Franzen who was the best player in the playoffs at the time missed every game in that series.