• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Coffey77

Greetings from Pittsburgh

Rate this topic

Don't even bother trying to talk objectively about hockey with opposing fans. Like a Pens fan is going to concede and say the Wings are going to win the Cup and vice versa. These threads always turn into a giant joke despite the intentions of the OP.

Hello Red Wings fans, you can probably guess that I am a Penguins supporter. Looking ahead to the finals, I decided to make an account on this board so I can get some of your thoughts during the SCF. Though neither conference finals are over, our series looks pretty much over. And judging from the way the Red Wings played Game 4, it looks like you will close this series out on Wednesday. Hopefully the Pens learned from the beating you gave us last year.

Some things you should know about me....

-I am a Pens fan (Obviously)

-I come here to talk hockey...not to trash talk

-I will try to be as least-biased as I can

-I actually respect your organization, unlike Washington or Philly

Here's hoping we can get along during the next couple weeks, and try to talk seriously and maturely about hockey. Good luck to your Red Wings!

Talk means nothing. What the Experts say mean nothing. Last year means nothing.

What we think means nothing.

Let's just wait til the series.

You've come along way from the beginning of this thread.

Edited by Mike

You've come along way from the beginning of this thread.

Reading 11 pages of posts of why the Pens wont win can get you ramped up, and tired of repeating yourself.

Other than the loss of Hossa, how are we worse?

-Crosby is playing better

-Malkin is playing better

-Our defense is much better ( Scuderi and Eaton and Orpik are all playing well)

- Better coaching

- Fleury is the same....makes highlight reel saves, and lets in bad goals

-Kunitz and Guerin playing solid hockey

-Loss of Hossa

How are the Red Wings better?

-Holmstrom playing worse

-Datsyuk...playing good but not producing

-Osgood- no better, no worse

-Loss of Lilja

Holmstrom playing worse? He is still in front of the net doing his job isnt he?

Yea so when Datsyuk does produce id be scared.

Osgood is playing better then last year I would say. Highest save % left doesnt he?

Our entire third and 4th lines besides for maybe draper, and maltby have improved ten fold.

So we dont have Lilja, well we also have Ericsson this year. And the addition of Hossa who plays fine without scoring then comes up with big goals every now and then so far in the playoffs.

Im not going to go over the penguins, sure, the players they do have may have improved a bit since last year but who hasnt, its your acquisitions and new players that step in like Helm, Leino, Ericsson, Abdelkader that really matter.

so who cares? all i hear from you people is your depth. :rolleyes: you won last night without some importance pieces, right? so what's the excuse now?

This coming from someone who keeps making excuses for the total domination in the first two games of last years final.

Dude the Pens are good but don't fool yourself into thinking they are a lock for the cup. You want to talk about exposed weakness then I will say the Pens showed a problem with a team that could push the play offensively against them (Caps). Detroit had trouble with the best defensive team in the playoffs. If those are the weaknesses I would be far more worried as a Pens fan than a Wings fan.

Thats assuming these series don't see some great comebacks and we end up with Chicago and Carolina in the finals. :lol:

Oh and you better hope the Pens sweep or else that question of lack of killer instinct might come up again.

Reading 11 pages of posts of why the Pens wont win can get you ramped up, and tired of repeating yourself.

Did you really expect something different when you started this topic? If you did, then wow.

Did you really expect something different when you started this topic? If you did, then wow.

I didn't expect it to go 11 pages. Nor did I start it to begin talk about who will win if the Red Wings and Pens do meet up again.

This coming from someone who keeps making excuses for the total domination in the first two games of last years final.

Dude the Pens are good but don't fool yourself into thinking they are a lock for the cup. You want to talk about exposed weakness then I will say the Pens showed a problem with a team that could push the play offensively against them (Caps). Detroit had trouble with the best defensive team in the playoffs. If those are the weaknesses I would be far more worried as a Pens fan than a Wings fan.

Thats assuming these series don't see some great comebacks and we end up with Chicago and Carolina in the finals. :lol:

Oh and you better hope the Pens sweep or else that question of lack of killer instinct might come up again.

you people have a serious reading comprehension problem. i never said the pens were a lock for the cup. it is many of you who think the wings have this in the bag. some of you are sensible and are saying it will be a close series.

What did you expect to find here?

Objectively speaking, the Wings, with this same core for the most part, and having been tagged as the best sports organization, have won 4 cups in 11 years, about to possibly make it 5 in 12, and are still labeled as the best team in the NHL. These are facts.

How do you expect anyone other than Pens fans to think the Wings are not going to win this series? I mean honestly dude come on.

The Pens will have to pry that cup from the Wings' fingers. And you know what, if they do, hey, all the respect and congratulations to them. But the statistics, accolades, and shear vast experience of the Wings will say otherwise.

We won't know until we actually play the games. The Pens have more depth? I don't follow...

You lost Whitney, Malone, Roberts, Ruutu, Sydor, Hall and Hossa and you added Guerin, Kunitz, Fedotenko, Cooke, Satan, Adams, Letang and Eaton.

Do you think that the guys that you acquired are better than the guys you lost? Really? IMO none of those guys are close to losing just Hossa.

this is stupid talk. you say the pens lose x, y and z and have only gained a, b and c so therefore they are not as good as they were last year? this is isn't a math class.

I didn't expect it to go 11 pages. Nor did I start it to begin talk about who will win if the Red Wings and Pens do meet up again.

You asked for thoughts on the SCF and thoughts about what teams are going to play in it and what team is going to win certainly qualify. You're a Pens fan starting a topic on a Red Wings forum. Expect lots of arguing i.e., lots of pages.

I was just about to make this point.

The Pens are not nearly as deep as the Wings. And in the postseason, depth counts for a s***-ton. Maybe not against the Flyers and Capitals, but certainly against teams that are legitimate contenders -- e.g. the Wings, who, as you said, just proved that they can be the best team in the league even without two of their top players. And that's because they don't rely on 3-4 players to carry the load like the Penguins do. Whether they want to admit it or not, the Pens -- and their fans -- know that if any of those 3-4 players start feeling the heat, their team is in trouble. The Wings don't work that way; they are a bona fide team, as opposed to a few stars and a supporting cast. Hell, the Wings' checkers and role players have arguably been carrying more of the load than their star forwards throughout this run.

the problem is you just assume the great and mighty wings are unmatched in depth. the stats don't tell the story. thus far in the playoffs:

number of players with 10 points or more: Pens -6 Wings - 6

number of players with 4 goals or more: Pens -5 Wings -6

so there you go folks, the wings have so much depth let's just give up.

last year in the playoffs, after FOUR rounds, the pens only had 6 players with 6 goals or more and 5 players with 10 or more points.

this pens have no depth talk is nonsense.

I happily welcome you to the site...

I agree... welcome to the site. I look for a good clean, hard played series unlike the series with the ducks. The ducks are a dirty team.

I agree... welcome to the site. I look for a good clean, hard played series unlike the series with the ducks. The ducks are a dirty team.

Well I have to admit I enjoyed the brawl in Game 6.

No shortage of Crosby hate on this board, I see. But I think you will see during this series that he has toned down the whining a bit.

And I never said the Pens are going to win, but it's a hope.

God I hope so because I consider that a form of cheating.

You can't just use stats to determine what is going to happen. It's not all about the numbers. Who knows what the numbers are going to look like if they match up against eachother. But yeah, looking at this, Detroit are the definite favorites. But I don't think that stats would tell you that Pittsburgh was going to make it to the SCF, back when they were in 10th place earlier in the season. It's not all about stats. These Penguins have a lot more depth than last year. And the complete ass-whooping you guys gave us last year taught us a hell of a lot. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Pens are going to win ( though I hope). But I think the Wings are going to have a much harder time with them.

I would agree. The pens are playing great right now and it's all about playing great when it counts. I look at the fact that our top guys are not playing good and when it counts in the final series they will + Hossa.

Talk means nothing. What the Experts say mean nothing. Last year means nothing.

What we think means nothing.

Let's just wait til the series.

Should have probably had these thoughts BEFORE you started the worst thread since last year's "The wings are tooo old and tired, young penguins WILL take the cup in 2008" thread. Most of your posts contradict this statement. We have been hearing crap like this since...96?!?! lol. Best of luck to your penguins. let's just hope 3 months after the series you are still around to talk "hockey" eh?? Let's face it, if the Wings and the Pens keep facing each other in the finals you can't lose them all right?!?!?

:rolleyes:

Do you really think it matters about what the experts say? I hope the Red Wings are as cocky as some of you are. They're in a for a surprise. We're not gonna sit back and let you walk on us. You were obviously the better team last year. This year is going to be a lot closer. Who is gonna come out on top? Who Knows? But the Penguins have a lot more depth than they did last year and they are very resilient.

One thing I must tell you is that the Wings have a lot more depth then they did last year also.

Don't even bother trying to talk objectively about hockey with opposing fans. Like a Pens fan is going to concede and say the Wings are going to win the Cup and vice versa. These threads always turn into a giant joke despite the intentions of the OP.

Well it just seems like this thread involves some fans, both Wings and Pens included, that are just looking for something to piss them off as they look to piss off others as well. It's like a competition of who can be the most stubborn? Nothing gets done.

Well I have to admit I enjoyed the brawl in Game 6.

I would have too if we had Kocur and Probert but were not built for that anymore.

One thing I must tell you is that the Wings have a lot more depth then they did last year also.

Cleary is on the top line.

Hudler is on the third line.

Helm sometimes plays the third line.

Main point is that most if not all of our depth players have gotten better. Pittsburgh has more youth and therefore more room for growth but the Wings still have some who have gotten better in comparison to last year and are still a work in progress.

Coffey77, you just need to ignore those who think a rematch of last years finals will be a cakewalk. I think most of the Wings fans think we'll win (most teams fans think they will win if both teams are close in skill) but most don't believe it will be easy.

It will definitely be a closer series than last year, and I'm a hell of a lot more nervous about a Wings/Pens final than I was last year.

- Houdini

the problem is you just assume the great and mighty wings are unmatched in depth. the stats don't tell the story. thus far in the playoffs:

number of players with 10 points or more: Pens -6 Wings - 6

number of players with 4 goals or more: Pens -5 Wings -6

so there you go folks, the wings have so much depth let's just give up.

last year in the playoffs, after FOUR rounds, the pens only had 6 players with 6 goals or more and 5 players with 10 or more points.

this pens have no depth talk is nonsense.

Bulls***. You are selectively picking out stats to make your point and ignoring others.

Malkin has 28 points and Crosby has 26, nobody else has more than 13. Yea there are 4 other guys that have 10 or more but Malkin and Crosby combined have 33.3% of the teams points.

Nobody on the Wings has more than 19. Our top two scorers account for only 24% of the teams points.

The Pens live and die for scoring by these 2 guys.

You're on the largest Red Wings forum on the net, and you're shocked as to why the members of this forum think the Pens won't win the cup and the Wings will? Might as well go on a Cavs forum and state how much better Kobe is than Lebron or go to a Red Sox forum and assert how much better the Yankees are than the Red Sox.

You allowed to get yourself caught up in the Penguin trolls and the Red Wing posters who enjoy feeding the trolls. You're at a very important impass on your LGW.com future. Keep feeding the trolls or just stop and pick and choose where and what to post until you gain some "cred" ala Duck Guy, who is one of the most revered posters on this forum.