Rate this topic

RNK NAME POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM ATOI HT BS SOG SPCT G A G A

1 Evgeni Malkin, PIT C 16 12 16 28 3 18 21:18 21 8 79 15.2 5 7 0 0

2 Sidney Crosby, PIT C 16 14 12 26 10 12 21:45 12 13 63 22.2 5 4 0 0

6 H. Zetterberg, DET C 14 7 9 16 11 4 22:11 24 11 48 14.6 1 2 0 0

49 Pavel Datsyuk, DET C 13 1 6 7 4 9 20:22 23 3 47 2.1 1 2 0 0

Damn... Zett and Dats are siiiick.

D-E-P-T-H.

Pavel will come. And you're going to HATE him for it.

P.S - chill on the stats. they are irrelevant when talking about zetterberg and datsyuk.

Guys and gals, on other boards I have a reputation as one of the greatest trolls of all time. I was one of the ones who helped get the Yahoo news comments turned off. Simply let this guy talk and talk and talk. He'll simply get tired of hearing his own voice. Then, when things start to go south in another week, you'll never see or hear from him or her again. EMALKIN certainly brings nothing new or cutting edge to the trolling game, just paragraph after paragraph of sixth grade material.

How do I know? I had an EMALKIN crying like a baby for an admin last year during the Final on the Pens board on ESPN. The middle school speech pattern sounds amazingly similar.

Is what I'm saying... it's a kid.

How many goals did Crosby have?

Haha datsyuk has 9 pts. LOL

Yeah, all those points Malkin and Cindy has last year really did them a lot of good. They have a Stanley Cup Ring to show for it....

Oh wait, that was us...

You know. there's one thing i would change about the playoffs totally.

Is that it would have been Crosby meeting the Kron-wall head-on.

I'm sick of all the undeserved media attention the Penguins get. Just because of a botox-lipped pretty-boy who has the same first name as my female cousin.

Edited by WingsForever

Guest mindfly

If detroit and pittsburgh were to meet in the finals again does anyone really think the league will "allow" wings to win again? as much as the league loves pittsburgh, showing crosby commercials 24/7, north american superstar versus european superstars, game5 OT win instead of wings hoisting the cup etc.. I just can't see it happening, yeah you wanna believe the world is perfect and fair but it's all business... The league would benefit more from a pens stanley cup win than wings repeating.... >_<

Edited by mindfly

first of all let just say that i agree with the wings fans who say stats are irrelevant. to me they are irrelevant in every major sport.

let me also say that detroit is not as invincible as they were last year. they beat an easy columbus team and are about to beat an very inexperienced chicago team. however, they almost lost to an 8th seeded team. they have shown vulnerabilities at times in the playoffs. this is not the 2001-2002 red wings team that was so highly skilled. you are a puck possession team who capitalizes on mistakes.

pittsburgh is a team that is playing incredibly well too. your championship is not in the bag.

and most of you wings fans are acting way too cocky. no team in sports is unbeatable. you too were a team that got schooled by the devils only to learn from experience to put together your run over the past 12 seasons.

first of all let just say that i agree with the wings fans who say stats are irrelevant. to me they are irrelevant in every major sport.

let me also say that detroit is not as invincible as they were last year. they beat an easy columbus team and are about to beat an very inexperienced chicago team. however, they almost lost to an 8th seeded team. they have shown vulnerabilities at times in the playoffs. this is not the 2001-2002 red wings team that was so highly skilled. you are a puck possession team who capitalizes on mistakes.

pittsburgh is a team that is playing incredibly well too. your championship is not in the bag.

and most of you wings fans are acting way too cocky. no team in sports is unbeatable. you too were a team that got schooled by the devils only to learn from experience to put together your run over the past 12 seasons.

Just as stats are meaningless, so are seeds. The fact that Anaheim was an 8 seed doesn't mean they should have been a cake walk ... they took out the 1-seed, remember? Every team is vulnerable.

As for the championship, I don't think anything's in the bag. I'll be honest, Pittsburgh worries me. I think the Wings have the better team from top to bottom, but I've yet to see us string together a bunch of games where everyone plays at the level they're capable of. Getting better, but not there yet. Crosby and Malkin have been pretty dominant. Whether they can continue that against Detroit, a better defensive team than what they've played against so far, remains to be seen. I will say, they definitely seem to be playing with something to prove. It should be a great series.

Just as stats are meaningless, so are seeds. The fact that Anaheim was an 8 seed doesn't mean they should have been a cake walk ... they took out the 1-seed, remember? Every team is vulnerable.

As for the championship, I don't think anything's in the bag. I'll be honest, Pittsburgh worries me. I think the Wings have the better team from top to bottom, but I've yet to see us string together a bunch of games where everyone plays at the level they're capable of. Getting better, but not there yet. Crosby and Malkin have been pretty dominant. Whether they can continue that against Detroit, a better defensive team than what they've played against so far, remains to be seen. I will say, they definitely seem to be playing with something to prove. It should be a great series.

you got to realize too that i believe if it weren't for the pens inexperience last year the series would have gone 7. we were shell shocked at playing in the finals and lost the first two games as a result. the last four games were all decided by 1 goal. so this pens team, which is better than last year's, can hang with the wings. they just needed some experience and better coaching. bylsma is much better than therrien and has the team playing better defensively - they are blocking shots and backchecking better than last year. detroit does not look as dominant this year. that's possibly due to datsyuk not playing well.

We have the most goals per game in the playoffs actually. Detroit is behind us.

The Penguins have 61gf and 45ga in 16 games while the Wings have 57gf and 33ga in 15. Thats 3.8125 goals per game for the pens and 3.8 for the Wings. I'm not seeing much difference in goals per game but what I do see is a big difference in goals allowed per game with 2.2 for the Red Wings and 2.8125 for the Pens. That just tells me that their offence is about equal while the Wings have a much better defence.

Guest lnvincible
The Penguins have 61gf and 45ga in 16 games while the Wings have 57gf and 33ga in 15. Thats 3.8125 goals per game for the pens and 3.8 for the Wings. I'm not seeing much difference in goals per game but what I do see is a big difference in goals allowed per game with 2.2 for the Red Wings and 2.8125 for the Pens. That just tells me that their offence is about equal while the Wings have a much better defence.

I think he just pretty mmuch made you look stupid. ENOUGH SAID.

Guest lnvincible
you got to realize too that i believe if it weren't for the pens inexperience last year the series would have gone 7. we were shell shocked at playing in the finals and lost the first two games as a result. the last four games were all decided by 1 goal. so this pens team, which is better than last year's, can hang with the wings. they just needed some experience and better coaching. bylsma is much better than therrien and has the team playing better defensively - they are blocking shots and backchecking better than last year. detroit does not look as dominant this year. that's possibly due to datsyuk not playing well.

You talk as if you were on the pens LOL!. RELAX, hossa's ours ;)

teams can get better as the playoffs progress. the number of goals we've allowed in the last series is much less than what we did in the first two rounds. plus we had to deal with an offensive machine in ovechkin in round 2, whereas the wings did not. toews and kane are no where near as good as ovechkin. we did what we had to do against him and moved on. plus you guys played agaqinst a miserable columbus team that shouldn't even count as a playoff team. anaheim was good but chicago is just slightly above average. we played a pretty tough flyers and caps team before meeting an average canes team.

Edited by sidthekid

Haha datsyuk has 9 pts. LOL

The irony being you highlighted your weakness. We have to stop two guys. You went 6 with the Flyers and 7 with the Caps, OK teams at best and are finally cruising against the spent Canes. Our best O player as you accurately point out has 9 points and yet we're 11-4 in the playoffs with 3/4 losses against the Anaheim Giants. Why do you think Hossa came here? Because he thinks Crosby and Malkin can outscore a TEAM when you get out of the East and have to play one? Where would the Pens be if Malkin OR Crosby had 9 points? I'll give you a hint, the remote control would be in easy reach...

The 'hawks have to win three straight against the Wings. I don't mind superstition, but I don't see any harm in talking about what basically is an inevitable matchup.

As a looong time sports fan from Michigan I have to say there are NO givens.

I've learned to take nothing for granted. When the Wings are leading by 3 with less then a minute to go I am unable to breathe until I see 0.00 on the scoreboard.

Makes victory all the sweeter. :)

Edit: Chicago knows all about it. Remember a couple years ago when they were leading the Wings 2-0 with like 16 sec. to go and they ended up losing 3-2 in OT.

Edited by MidMichSteve

teams can get better as the playoffs progress. the number of goals we've allowed in the last series is much less than what we did in the first two rounds. plus we had to deal with an offensive machine in ovechkin in round 2, whereas the wings did not. toews and kane are no where near as good as ovechkin. we did what we had to do against him and moved on. plus you guys played agaqinst a miserable columbus team that shouldn't even count as a playoff team. anaheim was good but chicago is just slightly above average. we played a pretty tough flyers and caps team before meeting an average canes team.

Just as a general rule of thumb, western conference > eastern conference. The style of play between the two conferences is in stark contrast to each other.

That said, Columbus was easy. Anaheim was incredibly difficult. Chicago is so-so. I truly don't think the Pens would've been able to beat Anaheim. I know you're a Pens fan and all.. but that one year of experience isn't going to mean a whole lot against the team with the best offensive depth in the league. If Detroit can shut down Crosby and Malkin, they have nothing to worry about. Those two ARE the Pens. If the Pens shut down Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they've still got Franzen, Hossa, Hudler, Filppula, Cleary and others to be concerned with.

There's a HUGE difference in depth between these two teams. And as long as we're dressing Lidstrom, the Pens won't have the best defense like they have in their previous rounds.

This is going to be a whole different ballpark for the Pens. They'll be familiar with it because of last year's SCF and yes, I do believe they've gotten better as a team - but in all honesty, I said back during the Anaheim series that whoever won that matchup was going to take the Cup and I still hold true to that.

teams can get better as the playoffs progress. the number of goals we've allowed in the last series is much less than what we did in the first two rounds.

1. This last series that you speak of is not over yet. The pens still have to win one more game.

2. Of course the pens have allowed less goals in this series than the last two. There has only been 3 games played as opposed to 6 and 7 games respectively.

Let's look at this objectively.

Offense - In the playoffs this year the Wings have 3.80 g/game and the Pens have 3.81. Dead even

Defense - Wings have 2.00 GA/g and the Pens have 2.88. HUGE edge for the Wings

5 on 5 (for/against) - Wings 1.83 Pens 1.17 Huge edge Wings

Powerplay - Wings 26.8% Pens 20.2% big edge Wings

PK - Pens 82.5 Wings 72.2 Big edge Pens

Shots/Game - Wings 39.1 Pens 35.6 small edge Wings

Shots against/game - Wings 28.6 Pens 28.8 Even

Face Off - Wings 52.7 Pens 50.0 small edge Wings

Goaltending save % - Osgood .921 Fleury .902 edge Wings

Experience - Big edge Wings

Coaching - Big Edge Wings

Home Ice - Wings

Scoring Depth (percentage of teams point by top 5)- Wings 49.3, Pens 56.2 edge Wings

Intangables - Hossa, Pens want revenge - even

Opponents- Wings played a tough Aneheim and weak Columbus and Chicago, Pens played weak Flyers, Capitals and Canes - Edge Wings

Injuries - Gonchar is playing hurt, Datsyuk sore foot, Lids ?, Draper out - Edge ?

Conclusion - Pens only edge is in the PK

WINGS IN 5

Just as a general rule of thumb, western conference > eastern conference. The style of play between the two conferences is in stark contrast to each other.

That said, Columbus was easy. Anaheim was incredibly difficult. Chicago is so-so. I truly don't think the Pens would've been able to beat Anaheim. I know you're a Pens fan and all.. but that one year of experience isn't going to mean a whole lot against the team with the best offensive depth in the league. If Detroit can shut down Crosby and Malkin, they have nothing to worry about. Those two ARE the Pens. If the Pens shut down Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they've still got Franzen, Hossa, Hudler, Filppula, Cleary and others to be concerned with.

There's a HUGE difference in depth between these two teams. And as long as we're dressing Lidstrom, the Pens won't have the best defense like they have in their previous rounds.

This is going to be a whole different ballpark for the Pens. They'll be familiar with it because of last year's SCF and yes, I do believe they've gotten better as a team - but in all honesty, I said back during the Anaheim series that whoever won that matchup was going to take the Cup and I still hold true to that.

with all that "depth" you had last year and all the depth that we lacked, we still made it a pretty good 6 game series. the last four games in the SCF were close games decided by 1 goal. fleury was not as good as he is this year, and malkin is playing a lot better. we can make this a long series with you guys. the best team on paper doesn't always win. i'm a pats fan so i know. the team with more heart will win. detroit lacks that killer instinct and heart that they've shown in years past.

Let's look at this objectively.

Offense - In the playoffs this year the Wings have 3.80 g/game and the Pens have 3.81. Dead even

Defense - Wings have 2.00 GA/g and the Pens have 2.88. HUGE edge for the Wings

5 on 5 (for/against) - Wings 1.83 Pens 1.17 Huge edge Wings

Powerplay - Wings 26.8% Pens 20.2% big edge Wings

PK - Pens 82.5 Wings 72.2 Big edge Pens

Shots/Game - Wings 39.1 Pens 35.6 small edge Wings

Shots against/game - Wings 28.6 Pens 28.8 Even

Face Off - Wings 52.7 Pens 50.0 small edge Wings

Goaltending save % - Osgood .921 Fleury .902 edge Wings

Experience - Big edge Wings

Coaching - Big Edge Wings

Home Ice - Wings

Scoring Depth (percentage of teams point by top 5)- Wings 49.3, Pens 56.2 edge Wings

Intangables - Hossa, Pens want revenge - even

Opponents- Wings played a tough Aneheim and weak Columbus and Chicago, Pens played weak Flyers, Capitals and Canes - Edge Wings

Injuries - Gonchar is playing hurt, Datsyuk sore foot, Lids ?, Draper out - Edge ?

Conclusion - Pens only edge is in the PK

WINGS IN 5

this is so meaningless it's not even funny. and you don't necessarily have a big edge in coaching. bylsma is good.

with all that "depth" you had last year and all the depth that we lacked, we still made it a pretty good 6 game series. the last four games in the SCF were close games decided by 1 goal. fleury was not as good as he is this year, and malkin is playing a lot better. we can make this a long series with you guys. the best team on paper doesn't always win. i'm a pats fan so i know. the team with more heart will win. detroit lacks that killer instinct and heart that they've shown in years past.

I'm really not sure what team you've been watching, but it hasn't been the Red Wings. If they lacked the killer instinct as you claim, we wouldn't even be in this right now. We would've packed up and gone golfing during the Anaheim series.

this is so meaningless it's not even funny. and you don't necessarily have a big edge in coaching. bylsma is good.

Every single stat is meaningless? Come on you can do better than that. You can say one or 2 are meaningless but how can you dismiss all of them?

Weren't you the guy crowing about the Pens offense which numbers show is dead even with the Wings? But now you are dismissing all of the numbers?

hahahahah

And how you think that Bylsma who has coached in 1/2 of a regular season and never in the NHL playoffs is as good as Babcock is laughable. This is Babcocks 3rd trip to the finals.

Every single stat is meaningless? Come on you can do better than that. You can say one or 2 are meaningless but how can you dismiss all of them?

Weren't you the guy crowing about the Pens offense which numbers show is dead even with the Wings? But now you are dismissing all of the numbers?

hahahahah

And how you think that Bylsma who has coached in 1/2 of a regular season and never in the NHL playoffs is as good as Babcock is laughable. This is Babcocks 3rd trip to the finals.

yeah and babcock won a final and he choked in another, so let's wait and see before we crown him as the next scotty. the guy could be a product of his own team.

and i wasn't crowing about any numbers. if i remember correctly, i said that numbers can be misleading esp. goals against since teams can get better as the playoffs progress. i just think your analysis is meaningless - all it is is chest beating based on paper.

I'm really not sure what team you've been watching, but it hasn't been the Red Wings. If they lacked the killer instinct as you claim, we wouldn't even be in this right now. We would've packed up and gone golfing during the Anaheim series.

the fact that you couldn't put a ducks team away in 5 or 6 shows you are vulnerable.

the team has not played with the same heart they played last year. it's foolish to think that just because a team reaches the conference finals that they've played with heart and determination. maybe they have some killer instinct but not as much heart as i've seen in the past.