• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Coffey77

Greetings from Pittsburgh

Rate this topic

That you want 6 against the Flyers and seven against the CAPITOLS shows you aren't that good. If we put the Hawks away in 5 we will have decisively beaten two teams we should have beaten. If you beat the Canes in the next game or two, you couldn't beat a team decisively until they were spent from back to back seven game series the other team had home advantage for.

do you people have some sort of reading problem up there in Michigan? i never said the wings weren't good because they took 7 games to beat anaheim - i said vulnerable. this means that the wings are not as invincible as ya'll think. if the ducks can make a good series with detroit, we can too. that's all im' saying.

just because it was hard nosed doesn't mean it wasn't a fluke. that was an easily stoppable shot but because hiller sucks the puck went in.

It was an easily stoppable shot until Cleary deflected it. That threw Hiller off and the rest is history. In that sense, how was that fluke? Throw the puck to the net and good things happen.

Oh I guess that's why Hiller is team Switzerland's goalie huh. Ok lets take about bad goals to give up how about this gem in last years Stanley cup finals

lol that was last year. how about those 40 foot slap shots that osgood used to let in 10 years ago? the past is the past. move on, ok?

just because it was hard nosed doesn't mean it wasn't a fluke. that was an easily stoppable shot but because hiller sucks the puck went in.

OMG... that's your logic...it went in beause Hiller sucks. Obviously a great hockey mind there. :rolleyes:

It's just so funny how these Pens' fans are so against talking about their team defense, or lack thereof. Instead they are in denial that their One Line Wonder stands a chance in the SCF.

Pens are a great Eastern Conference Team, but they would be an average Western Conference team at best. And their goalie is a complete joke.

Pens fans, chant this in the finals:

"TEAM DEFENSE"

"TEAM DEFENSE"

"TEAM DEFENSE"

Because you'll need it. Your team won't stand a chance without it.

yeah and babcock won a final and he choked in another, so let's wait and see before we crown him as the next scotty. the guy could be a product of his own team.

and i wasn't crowing about any numbers. if i remember correctly, i said that numbers can be misleading esp. goals against since teams can get better as the playoffs progress. i just think your analysis is meaningless - all it is is chest beating based on paper.

Babcock lost in game 7 to the Devils and the game was in Jersey. I'm not sure that qualifies as chocking.

This quote says it all from Ross McKeon

Once we get to the Pittsburgh-Detroit matchup, it’s not even as close as last year’s, which wasn’t as close as a six-game series might suggest.

The Red Wings are just that much better. And nothing illustrates that point more than removing one of the Penguins’ top supporting players – veteran scorer Marian Hossa(notes) – and adding him to the Detroit roster. How unfair is that?

You can read the entire article here for you enjoyment. But of course it's all meaningless. Just like it was last year.

Yahoo Sports

Yeah Jonas Hiller sure does suck with that horrible .943sv% this playoffs. :rolleyes:

I fully understand the overconfidence. But I don't think you can say s*** about the Flyers and Capitals without having to play them...Why do you think the East is so weak. And I agree the Ducks are a damn good team. But Hiller as the hottest goalie in the league...thats pushing it. The Capitals are not very weak. And Varlamov was playing amazing for the first 3 or 4 games of that series. The Penguins are not just gonna let the Wings push them around again. We've gained a lot of experience ( Thanks to you), and I truly believe this team is better than last years. I've watched the 07-08 Pens and the 08-09 Pens every single game, so I think I am a pretty good judge of that.

Once we get to the Pittsburgh-Detroit matchup, it’s not even as close as last year’s, which wasn’t as close as a six-game series might suggest.

The Red Wings are just that much better. And nothing illustrates that point more than removing one of the Penguins’ top supporting players – veteran scorer Marian Hossa(notes) – and adding him to the Detroit roster. How unfair is that?

Meh..... Last year was pretty close imo. If you count the OT game as two games then the series for all intents and purposes actually went 7.

Crosby's will and determination is quite impressive. Because of last year's loss he has a better idea of how long you have to play when it comes to the finals. The Pens look more mentally tough than they did last year. I'm not saying the series, which has yet to be official, will go either way. I'm just saying they are quite a tall order if the Wings want to repeat.

lol that was last year. how about those 40 foot slap shots that osgood used to let in 10 years ago? the past is the past. move on, ok?

About the same amount of those slappers went in as he has cups.

More than the Pens have in their history.

you speak with complete arrogance. what's going to happen to your wings when lidstrom retires in a few years? :scared: he's 39 - he won't keep up his stellar play forever. rafalski is 36. your forwards are fairly young but you won't have any good puck moving defensemen down the line like lidstrom or rafalski. osgood is old too.

Granted that Lids is irreplaceable but we are increadibly deep on young D-men. Like this kid Ericcson that is playing right now. We'll be ok. We always are. We have been to the playoffs 16 straight years despite losing Yzermann, Shanahan, Konstantinov, Fedorov, Hasek, Vernon, Hull. Robatille, etc.

What are you going to do when Gonchar retires?...LOL

Granted that Lids is irreplaceable but we are increadibly deep on young D-men. Like this kid Ericcson that is playing right now. We'll be ok. We always are. We have been to the playoffs 16 straight years despite losing Yzermann, Shanahan, Konstantinov, Fedorov, Hasek, Vernon, Hull. Robatille, etc.

What are you going to do when Gonchar retires?...LOL

Gonchar will be hard to replace. But we have a lot of young and promising offensive defensive players in the minors. When gonchar was out for half the season, Alex Goligoski stepped in from the minors, and he was pretty impressive.

Meh..... Last year was pretty close imo. If you count the OT game as two games then the series for all intents and purposes actually went 7.

Crosby's will and determination is quite impressive. Because of last year's loss he has a better idea of how long you have to play when it comes to the finals. The Pens look more mentally tough than they did last year. I'm not saying the series, which has yet to be official, will go either way. I'm just saying they are quite a tall order if the Wings want to repeat.

Last year was close? You're kidding right? Lets recap:

Game 1 4-0 Detroit

Game 2 3-0 Detroit

Game 3 3-2 Pens

Game 4 2-1 Detroit

Game 5 4-3 Pens (3 OT)

Game 6 3-2 Detoit

Total scoring 17-10 The Pens won 1 game in triple OT and the other by 1 goal. Pens were shut out twice and scored a total of 10 goals in 6 games for a 1.67 goals/game

If you consider that close you really are kidding yourself.

I agree though that the Pens are more mentally tough this year than last and their coaching is improved. Other than that they have not improved significantly and their defense has gotten worse.

I fully understand the overconfidence. But I don't think you can say s*** about the Flyers and Capitals without having to play them...Why do you think the East is so weak. And I agree the Ducks are a damn good team. But Hiller as the hottest goalie in the league...thats pushing it. The Capitals are not very weak. And Varlamov was playing amazing for the first 3 or 4 games of that series. The Penguins are not just gonna let the Wings push them around again. We've gained a lot of experience ( Thanks to you), and I truly believe this team is better than last years. I've watched the 07-08 Pens and the 08-09 Pens every single game, so I think I am a pretty good judge of that.

Well, the Flyers are just morons. Writing them off... Well, bigger mistakes have been made and so far anyone who has wrote them off isn't wrong at this point.

The Caps were a very tough opponent because of their explosive offense. Some Wings fans like to argue that the Caps' back end is a disappointment when compared to their high powered offense. That's partially why it comes off as a surprise that it took the Pens 7 games to move on but that's just how good the Caps' offense was.

I don't know if I'd say Hiller was the hottest goalie in the league but to this day he's still top-3 in terms of GAA and still leads in Save% and shutouts and that's after playing the Sharks and Wings. Yes, part of that is due to ANA great defense and again, "hottest goalie" is quite the label but I'm not sure if I can think of a better goalie for that stretch of time.

Sid really got up for the series against the Caps. It was more emotionally salient to him because of AO. I'm positive he'll do the same against the Wings.

The most important question might be, Who has the better depth? On paper it's been the Wings for the whole year but that doesn't really matter, especially when you consider that they've struggled to play to their capacity the whole year. However, when it comes to straight competition for the cup itself, it's hard to imagine the Wings not feeling motivated enough to do what it takes.

Assuming the matchup present those two teams, it'll be a tough series for both. Should be a lot of fun.

Should we have a rematch, it will be thew same story. Wings in 6, with the Wings playing dominate hockey and the Pens stealing a game (though I think they'll win one game by a few goals...). The Hossa factor works both ways, and there are too many Wings looking to cement a legacy. 5 Cups is rare air.

Am I one of the few Wings fans who will be worried if we face the Pens in the finals? I think us Wings fans are so used to always winning when we reach the finals (well, the last 4 times anyways) that we sometimes forget things don't always work out (*cough*95 finals*cough*).

The Pens didn't really frighten me too much last year because they were too young and inexperienced and we were HUNGRY. Well, this year the Pens have the experience of making it to the finals and if anything they are more hungry than ever. We, on the other hand, just won the Cup and there is just no way we have that same hunger as we did last year.

There's a reason the last time a team repeated was back in 97 and 98, because its so freaking hard to have that same drive the very next year. I think Vladdy was difference in 98 as he gave us something to play for.

Not saying the Pens are going to win of course, but I think they are going to be a lot harder to play against than last year.

- Houdini

Why do you think the East is so weak.

The West has owned the east in regular season interconference play at least since the lockout and possibly longer but none of that should matter because if I'm not mistaken both the Wings and pens were above .500 against the opposing conference this season plus the playoffs are completely different than the regular season.

Game 1 4-0 Detroit

Game 2 3-0 Detroit

Game 3 3-2 Pens

Game 4 2-1 Detroit

Game 5 4-3 Pens (3 OT)

Game 6 3-2 Detoit

Total scoring 17-10 The Pens won 1 game in triple OT and the other by 1 goal. Pens were shut out twice and scored a total of 10 goals in 6 games for a 1.67 goals/game

I agree though that the Pens are more mentally tough this year than last and their coaching is improved. Other than that they have not improved significantly and their defense has gotten worse.

Well if you put it that way then I guess when it came to who wanted it more it wasn't close. But in terms of talent and overall ability I thought they were a lot closer than most Wings fans think.

And to be fair in that when it comes to this year I'm sure a lot of Pens fans would argue that Games 1 and 2 were partially attributed to the shock a team feels when they play Detroit for the first time. That's not something you can count on this year. They'll be better prepared for that.

Game 1 4-0 Detroit

Game 2 3-0 Detroit

Game 3 3-2 Pens

Game 4 2-1 Detroit

Game 5 4-3 Pens (3 OT)

Game 6 3-2 Detoit

I think it was pretty close. The Red Wings owned in Games 1 and 2, due to the Pens lack of experience, and the element of suprise you guys brought to us. We hadn't faced anybody that good yet. However, once we woke up after the first 2 games, the total scoring was even at 10-10. think about it, it was damn even after Games 1 and 2. And don't forget the Pens were inches away from putting Game 6 into OT.

Yeah, all those points Malkin and Cindy had last year really did them a lot of good. They have a Stanley Cup Ring to show for it....

Oh wait, that was us...

Just a reminder for the new Pens fans on the forum.

On a side note, the Pen's are a different team than they were last year. So to even compare the teams at this point is irrelevant.

Edited by Rivalred

Just a reminder for the new Pens fans on the forum.

On a side note, the Pen's are a different team than they were last year. So to even compare the teams at this point is irrelevant.

They are mainly here to argue that their team will be a challenge for Detroit. Guys like EMalkin or whatever, they don't count. There are more Pens fans on this board who only want to argue that their team will be very tough to put away. That's all.

They are mainly here to argue that their team will be a challenge for Detroit. Guys like EMalkin or whatever, they don't count. There are more Pens fans on this board who only want to argue that their team will be very tough to put away. That's all.

The conference finals have not even been decided yet... A few of our top players are banged up and the absence of Lil's has hurt our PK.

It it pointless to compare the Pens and the Wings until they play 2 games against each other and that will not happen until the SCF and each team is still 1 win away from doing that.

Also...like i previously stated....Crosby doesnt care if you guys thinks he is a whiner. He has been nothing but classy the entire playoffs. Hasnt complained ONCE. Hasn't done anything but be a class act.

Crosby and Malkin are 10x the players dats and zett are and you guys are just JEALOUS. once again...i dont care if you call me a troll...i will just laugh as we win the cup this year and hossa goes down 2x in a row.

Also...go ahead and show those pictures from last year. You will only be able to show them for a couple more weeks....

Also...i would like to point out this is your last year as true Stanley Cup contenders. Hahaha that's gotta hurt!

As long as you don't care, then you are a troll of the worst kind, the kind who is a blind homer who doesn't have enough class to admit that his team was thoroughly out-played by a superior team last year, and did not make any improvements to their team in the mean time.

with all that "depth" you had last year and all the depth that we lacked, we still made it a pretty good 6 game series. the last four games in the SCF were close games decided by 1 goal. fleury was not as good as he is this year, and malkin is playing a lot better. we can make this a long series with you guys. the best team on paper doesn't always win. i'm a pats fan so i know. the team with more heart will win. detroit lacks that killer instinct and heart that they've shown in years past.

Exactly how do you define 'killer instinct'? The ability to out-score a worn-out team despite giving up weak goals? In that case, yeah you have more of a killer instinct than us. As for our 'depth', we are deeper this year than last, whereas you have lived and died by your big guns and had very little else to rely on for scoring.

yeah and babcock won a final and he choked in another,

Yeah, losing in OT of Game 7 in the Finals is choking.

Edited by bonan78