• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shaman

The 2009 Pens are not the 1984 Oilers

Rate this topic

Ok, I am sure everyone has atleast taken a look at TSN or have heard somewhere someone comparing the 2009 pens to the Oilers team of 1984. Heres the facts:

Wins/losses/ties/points/adjusted points

Oilers: 57-18-5 119 (1984 rules) 124 (2008/9)(assuming they went on to lose all their ot games)

Pens: 45-28-9 90 (1984 rules) 99 (2008/9)

Goals for/against

Oilers: GF: 446 GA: 314

Pens: GF 264 GA: 239

Top scores

Oilers:

Player GP G A Pts PIM

Wayne Gretzky 74 87 118 205 39

Paul Coffey 80 40 86 126 104

Jari Kurri 64 52 61 113 14

Mark Messier 73 37 64 101 165

Glenn Anderson 80 54 45 99 65

Pens: GP G A Pts PIM

Evgeni Malkin 82 35 78 113 80

Sidney Crosby 77 33 70 103 76

Jordan Staal 82 22 27 49 37

Petr Sykora 76 25 21 46 36

Ruslan Fedotenko 65 16 23 39 44

I can keep going, but, its amazingly clear that even if the penguins win the cup this season, that there is very little in common between these two teams.

Edited by Shaman464

s***, they are not eve the 90-92 Pens.

AND although that team was good, they were not anywhere near the Oil.

Watching Gretz and Mess talk to the media about this, you can tell they look like they just want to shake their heads and say interview over.

It is entertaining to see though LMAO

The more and more I hear about Crosby and Malkin, I almost believe that to many hockey peeps the Wings are underdogs. This bodes even better for us.

Pitt is really building my hatred.

I agree with the original poster but to compare stats from then to now is ludicrous, the eras are completely different.

yes,..i too have had this little tidbit regergitated at me so much i smell like vomit.

Here's my problem with the assesment

The oilers were not a two man show.

Gretzky and Messier indeed were the biggest stars of that team, but to say the talent disparity between them and the pens is even is stupid. The 84' oilers won because they had depth, D, timely goaltending and two huge stars. Jari Kurri, Glenn Andersson, Paul Coffey, Kevin Lowe doesn't equal Satan, Kunitz, Guerin and Gonchar,..sorry it doesn't.

Also, the stars of the Island were fading at this time period,....there wern't break out super stars coming off the bench for the 84 oilers. We've got guys scoring this year who didn't do much at all last year (cleary comes to mind)

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
yes,..i too have had this little tidbit regergitated at me so much i smell like vomit.

Gretzky and Messier indeed were the biggest stars of that team, but to say the talent disparity between them and the pens is even is stupid. The 84' oilers won because they had depth, D, timely goaltending and two huge stars. Jari Kurri, Glenn Andersson, Paul Coffey, Kevin Lowe doesn't equal Satan, Kunitz, Guerin and Gonchar,..sorry it doesn't.

Also, the stars of the Island were fading at this time period,....there wern't break out super stars coming off the bench for the 84 oilers. We've got guys scoring this year who didn't do much at all last year (cleary comes to mind)

And the Wings have Mike Bossy, Bryan Troitter, Denis Potvin.... etc... honestly two can play this game...

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
The Pens are a two-man show. The Wings are not.

Thanks for playing.

Then you sir, Don't know jacks*** about Hockey... I am assuming you thought Ottawa in 2007 was a two man show? Or Tampa Bay in 2004 was a two man show? Honestly go kill yourself.

Interesting bit. I don't know if anyones mentioned it but I thought this was cool.

"Detroit has beaten the Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, Carolina Hurricanes and Pittsburgh Penguins for its last four Cups. Those would be the three teams the Penguins defeated, sequentially, to reach the finals this season, plus Pittsburgh itself."

Then you sir, Don't know jacks*** about Hockey... I am assuming you thought Ottawa in 2007 was a two man show? Or Tampa Bay in 2004 was a two man show? Honestly go kill yourself.

Copied for evidence.

I guess you're just not a Penguins fan unless you want someone to die.

:thumbup:

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
Copied for evidence.

I guess you're just not a Penguins fan unless you want someone to die.

y_so_srs.jpg

And the Wings have Mike Bossy, Bryan Troitter, Denis Potvin.... etc... honestly two can play this game...

i'm not going to feed the troll but i will have a hockey discussion with you.

That's not my point at all. My point was that The comparrison to the 84' oilers is off because the media is trying to make it seem like Crosby and Malkin, much like Gretzky and Messier defeated the Older generation of the 80's islanders.

Crosby and Malkin by themselves won't win a cup, nor did Gretzky and Messier by themselves win a cup.

Also, The islanders were indeed tired and older by the time Gretz and company came along, but we've got players just coming up,..guys like ericksson helm flip etc. The islanders had nothing like that their stars were their stars. Our stars havn't produced that well, so to carry the slack we've got guys coming out of the woodwork.

The 2009 Pens are not the 1984 Oilers

I agree 100% and I've been saying the same thing the last few days. There's no comparison! Also, Crosby isn't Gretzky! Crosby isn't even the best player in the league!

I don't mind when someone doesn't pick my favorite team to win, but this pro-Pittsburgh talk is getting to the point where I want to :puke:! Pittsburgh had a better team last year than this year, and with Hossa and the way Helm is playing, Detroit is better than last year. Wings in 5.

I think mostly this has to do with the fact that people don't want to see the Red Wings win again. Despite my questioning the media, I like the fact Pittsburgh is getting all the hype going into this.