• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Icesurfer

Olczyk - biased analyst

Rate this topic

It is so comical to listen to this ding-dong. The whole game he spent looking for any little indiscretion the Wings committed so the Pitts could get a power play. Does he have to make it so obvious who he is rooting for??? I thought analyst were suppose to be impartial.

Yeh.... he was head coach for 2 years for the Pitts and played for them for 2 years in the 90's.... so maybe he shouldn't be the analyst.

Unlike Larry Murphy..... who I think is great.... tries to be very impartial.

Edited by Icesurfer

Yeah I found it somewhat funny that on each goal we scored it was noted how we got away with something dirty... It really sounded according to them the Wings are big cheaters, and noone else in the league ever tries to get away with anything, especially during the playoffs. I miss Mickey Redmond 8).

Guest Murph

EDIT: Wiki will explain why he is biased.

He returned to Pittsburgh to become the color analyst for the Penguins on FSN Pittsburgh. In 2003, he moved from the booth to the bench and served as head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins from June 11, 2003 until December 15, 2005. Despite adding marquee free-agents, the Penguins started the season with a disappointing 8–17–6 record, leading to Olczyk's dismissal on December 15. Beginning with the 2006–07 NHL season, Olczyk is the game analyst for the Chicago Blackhawks television broadcasts. Olczyk is also the lead game analyst for The NHL on NBC, and a studio and color analyst on The NHL on Versus.
Edited by Murph

Guest Crymson

Pierre is worse. Mike Milbury seems to like the Wings, though.

I liked his "Oh, here's your tissue, Pierre."

What's funny is - I expected it during the Hawks series.

I would argue that during that series he was very Wings-biased....Although you could also say too, the hawks gave him little to compliment them on. :blink:

I do agree tonight, everyone during the broadcast other than Doc seemed to be very reluctant to give Detroit any props on the win. Especially Eddie.

What I couldn't get over was how Eddie kept saying Hossa committed a penalty with breaking that Pens stick on the Filpula goal. I watched that a few times it looked like the pens player swung his stick around and hit Hossa's stick and it broke on contact. I couldn't see what he was talking about.

Pierre is worse. Mike Milbury seems to like the Wings, though.

I liked his "Oh, here's your tissue, Pierre."

I can't make it out, perhaps someone else can, but during the Milbury/Pierre rant, I could have sworn Pierre referred to the Pens as 'my team'. They were both talking at the same time, but then again, may have just been hearing things. Great sequence either way!

The cast on NBC is truly repugnant. I'm tired of hearing the dire predictions from the wankers on NHL Network (especially Terrey) prior to the game only to have that followed up by the absolute homers that the crew for NBC represent for Pittsburgh. Doc Emrick is awesome in my mind though. I can tell that he especially enjoys the play of Helm and he observes with humor as compared to bias. It's no surprise to me why Doc is respected for the most part by fans. He's the only guy outside of Mickey and Ken that I can stand. The rest are hoping for the Red Wing's plane to crash on the way to game three. I haven't complained about this stuff until recently because it's becoming vitriolic with the Wings never receiving due credit or respect.

Edited by TSM

I can't make it out, perhaps someone else can, but during the Milbury/Pierre rant, I could have sworn Pierre referred to the Pens as 'my team'. They were both talking at the same time, but then again, may have just been hearing things. Great sequence either way!

I think they were doing some sort of dumb role play.. like pretending to be the coaches of the teams. Milbury/ Wings and McGuire/ Pens. Maybe I was hallucinating though.

I think they were doing some sort of dumb role play.. like pretending to be the coaches of the teams. Milbury/ Wings and McGuire/ Pens. Maybe I was hallucinating though.

Millbury and Doc=OK. Everyone else on Versus=SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSuck.

Listen real close, NBC/Versus. The Red Wings fanbase is EVERYWHERE. Why else do you hear "Lets go, Red Wings" in other team's barns? The Red Wings are the Yankees/Red Sox of the hockey fan base, and it's high time you start acknowledging that.

Come on guys, we were spoiled with Bill Thorne and Gary Clement. Those where the days of great NHL broadcasts!!!

Doc is pretty good except when he throw in cross sports references. It seems that many of them are forced.

Anyone notices how extremely close Pierre stands to people. Also, I am getting tired of him saying "have fun" or having fun." He is just too repetitive concerning his commentary.

Olczyk is right on some of those non-calls (interference) but he should also notice that the officials haven't called much of anything this series! The Hossa "slash" was not a penatly; they Pittsburgh player didn't hold on to his stick. Outside of that, Pittburgh was given a great gift when Malkins suspension was overturned so I am sure you wont her much griping for game three.

Edited by sdogg1m

Come on guys, we were spoiled with Bill Thorne and Gary Clement. Those where the days of great NHL broadcasts!!!

if i'm not mistaken, i do believe bill thorne does commentating for the baltimore orioles

I just love the fact that we won both games on Nothing But Cindy. I hope they continue to eat Cindy's ass every game. It's so satisfying to see them all try to find excuses for the Wings wins.

One of the things that bugs me about these guys is that it seems like they're so busy blabbing sometimes that they take forever to tell us who got a goal or who took a penalty.

if i'm not mistaken, i do believe bill thorne does commentating for the baltimore orioles

Yup, GARY Thorne does. He's on MASN. Us Wings fans in Maryland have it pretty good - every Orioles game sounds like a Stanley Cup playoff game!

That said, I didn't think Edzo was that bad. Pierre is worse.

I've always been annoyed by Milbury's bias, but it seems like he's turning it around and he's clearly enjoying the Red Wings play, I've noticed that during earlier series and now in the finals. Pierre patheticness is just funny to me, 'his team' is completely outplayed, 3-1 behind in the game, about to go 2-0 for the series, and he keeps saying how things are looking great for the Penguins. Milbury seems to slowly be making up his mind that the Red Wings are actually a great team, and is giving them a lot of respect.

That exchange was hilarious. My favorite quote: Take a chill pill Pierre, you're struggling!! :thumbup:

I was disgusted with the play by play last night. If you were listening close you could hear the obvious pro-pens talk. It was like I was watching FS Penguins in s***sburg. Things like, "We really need to get some momentum here" and everytime the wings scored or had a nice play "well it looked like hudler got a quick hook in there to get the puck away". Disgusting

I was irritated at the end when we were obviously going to go up 2-0 in the series and Pierre is like well I'd say a series doesn't truly begin until the home team loses one. That's alright, they can keep hating.

On a side note, in the first period I counted how many times the word "Crosby"--29 times. On the other hand, Zetterberg was mentioned 17 times.

I think Edzo has been better this year than last. He seemed to be very anti-Wings last season. This year I don't see it as much. He kept it down a little during the Hawks series. Pierre gets going. Some days he's pro-Wings another he'll be pro-whoever else. His I don't believe a team is out of it until they lose on home ice was getting to me. how many times did he say that at the end of the game? While they do need to win EVERY home game to stay in it the Wings can keep winning at home and it won't matter. I haven't been able to stand CBC this playoff either they seemed to be very anti-Wings during the 2nd round. not enough Canadians I'm guessing? But Grapes did pick the Wings to win the Cup though which surprised the hell out of me.

But I'm sticking with VS/NBC cause since I've watched them the Wings are 6-0. Started game 3 of the last round on CBC and the Wings went down 3-0. Went over the VS and the Wings tied it. So gotta keep a good thing going.

Edited by StevieY9802