• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

SCF GAME 5 GDT: Penguins 0 at Red Wings 5

Rate this topic

My fellow Wings fans--Hear me now and believe me later...

I've kept quite quiet as this series has tightened, observing, analyzing and letting history be my guide. Tonight the Wings play in a SERIOUS swing game not in the first or second round, but for the Stanley Cup. The stakes will never be higher in a game 5....EVER. But, because the Wings also put a premium on depth and great play during the regular season, this critical game is played in OUR sanctuary, in OUR home. The Wings didn't tread water for the first 3/4 of the regular season only to get going late and grab a #4 seed. No, they again were true professionals and were in contention for the President's Trophy until the last week and a half of the regular season.

So, as as a reward, a critical game will be played in Joe Louis Arena. Pittsburgh doesn't have a shrine like Joe Louis Arena. They have a dump they can't wait to get out of for a new shiny building. The ghosts of Joe Louis Arena loom large in a game like tonight, it's like the old Yankee Stadium. It has it's own personality and flavor, it has served the Wings well in many many huge games in the past.

It will serve them well again tonight.

As numbers 1, 7, 9, 10, 12, and 19 look down, and 51 other banners hang over OUR ice, in OUR sanctuary, the aura will help immensely.

Joe Louis Arena, where Martin Lapointe drove a shot THROUGH Patrick Roy's glove in game 6 of the 1997 WCF. How often does THAT happen? Joe Louis Arena where Brendan Shanahan taught the current Wings to bank shots in off of netminders. Joe Louis Arena where Sergei Fedorov put in one of the most amazing shots in playoff history, a one handed slap at a puck against Vancouver in 2002. Joe Louis Arena where Steve Yzerman scored one of the greatest goals in NHL history flipping in the air on his side while keeping his stick on the ice and flipping the puck past a PITTSBURGH goalie. Joe Louis Arena, home of the rubber kick plates, the octopus, Vladimir Konstantinov, Slava Kozlov's 3 OT goal vs the Ducks, The Bruise Brothers, Scotty Bowman's duck call, Mo Cheese, Orange Hat Guy, Knitting Lady and YOU and ME.

Sanctuary now!

Strength and Honor

:clap: Awesome and very inspiring! Well done!!! Go Wings!!!!!!

Huuuuuuuge game tonight! the next few minutes are going to feel like hours.

I'm hoping Pasha will play tonight and be close to his best. Imagine how awesome it'd be if he gets a goal or two!

The pens fanbase and players themselves have been way too cocky already, let's prove em wrong!!!

Wings 5 (Pasha, Z, Mule, Helm, Hossa)

Pens 2

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

Where's this rumor of the Wings "bickering" start? I think Babcock would squash that faster than you could blink.

The Pens claimed after the game they heard the Wings "chirping" at each other and Babcock later admitted they lost their cool in the locker room. But I seriously doubt anything was said that would seriously negatively affect any relationships.

On another note: Why do you have to look like a penis to work for NBC sports?

EDIT: After thinkign about it, I think Helm may have been right when he just said no one turned on each other. The WIngs could have lost their composure, complaining about refs or god knows what, but maybe they didn't actually turn on each other.

Edited by VM1138

Where's this rumor of the Wings "bickering" start? I think Babcock would squash that faster than you could blink.

Nice of ol' Dick With Ears to pop that question to one of the youngest guys on the team. He wouldn't have thrown a hardball question at a young Pens player.