• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DatsyukownzU13

Sportsnet: Hudler awarded 2 year deal 5m total; Still KHL bound

Rate this topic

I doubt this means that he is staying. If that is what he was awarded, I'd imagine he's still going to Russia. Why work at Kroger for for $6/hr if you can work at Meijer for $12?

Yeah, Sportsnet just f***ed up the news story. I suspect thats just the amount agreed upon once he returns from Russia.....which is pretty damn good.

Edited by ShanahanMan

From MLIVE:

Sportsnet story about Jiri Hudler staying is inaccurate

by Ansar Khan

Friday July 31, 2009, 11:34 AM

Disregard a bizarre report on Sportsnet.ca that claims Jiri Hudler is staying in Detroit after an arbiter awarded him a two-year deal worth $5 million.

It'll probably be corrected or removed soon.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said this morning that he hasn't yet received the arbiter's decision, but made it clear that this ship has sailed. Hudler is playing in Russia next season.

He won't be happy if Detroit was offering 3 million a year, and the arbiters give him 2.5 million a year, when he was looking for 4 million a year...

I guess the NHL wanted to send a message to those who considering leaving to the KHL, perhaps.

Or the whole report is just BS.

From MLIVE:

Sportsnet story about Jiri Hudler staying is inaccurate

by Ansar Khan

Friday July 31, 2009, 11:34 AM

Disregard a bizarre report on Sportsnet.ca that claims Jiri Hudler is staying in Detroit after an arbiter awarded him a two-year deal worth $5 million.

It'll probably be corrected or removed soon.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said this morning that he hasn't yet received the arbiter's decision, but made it clear that this ship has sailed. Hudler is playing in Russia next season.

The key to this thread and the Hudler situation as a whole.

"The story's over. He's going to play in Russia,'' Holland said. "We're waiting on the terms (of the salary arbitration case) he has to (honor) if and when he returns to the NHL.''

Detroit seems to be playing this perfectly, let Hudler go because he wants to. BUT if he ever does decide to comeback we will have him at a huge discount and he will be thankful Detroit didn't try to stop him.

He won't be happy if Detroit was offering 3 million a year, and the arbiters give him 2.5 million a year, when he was looking for 4 million a year...

I guess the NHL wanted to send a message to those who considering leaving to the KHL, perhaps.

Or the whole report is just BS.

Or maybe the arbiter realized what we already knew. . . he's not a $4-5M/yr player. . . I thought Holland was extending himself by offering $3M/yr seeing as how he made just over 1/3 of that last year.

yeah he's still gone. Why sportsnet would say he's staying and not question why he would walk away from 5mil per tax free for 2.5mil is crazy. But as has been stated it's a GREAT deal, if it's true, IF or WHEN he comes back. Had he stayed at 2.5mil for 2 years then in 2011 he would be getting a bigger raise. Now in 2011 he will still have to play for 2.5mil.

this is actually awesome... there's no way he's not going to the KHL, but we keep his rights and it's at a GREAT cap hit in 2 years if he decides to come back and gives us good trade bait

This. Hudler won't stay in the KHL forever. Who knows if the league will be around that long. Maybe he'll get sick of not being paid when his team loses money.

Regardless, 2.5 mil for a player of his caliber is peanuts. We'll likely have him in two years when he's near his prime for dirt cheap. Cool.

Guest Shoreline

You'll still see Hudler in Detroit. A few thousand of Hudlers, that is, who were silly enough to buy his jersey.

i think its funny how everybody naturally ASSUMES he is coming back after 2 years. If somebody offers me 5 million a year, which in real terms like 9 million (if taxed in the US), the only way i am coming back to the NHL, is if my next contract in Russia or where-ever is considerably lower than whatever the NHL awards him in arbitration.

The guy is gone and the only thing that makes him come back to the NHL is another cup, which is yet to be seen.

Bye Bye Huds

i think its funny how everybody naturally ASSUMES he is coming back after 2 years. If somebody offers me 5 million a year, which in real terms like 9 million (if taxed in the US), the only way i am coming back to the NHL, is if my next contract in Russia or where-ever is considerably lower than whatever the NHL awards him in arbitration.

The guy is gone and the only thing that makes him come back to the NHL is another cup, which is yet to be seen.

Bye Bye Huds

Or the fact that the league may be bankrupt and can't pay their players. . . Hudler will be back in the NHL. It will be interesting to see how well he performs in the KHL. If he s***s the bed, it proves he was just another average player benefitting from a system geared toward his game.

Bye Bye Huds

or the fact, that money can't buy happiness... yes hockey is a job to these elite players, but some people look at it like it's ALL it is... a job... it's about a passion and a competitive nature and guys WANT to play in the best league in the world - he WILL be back in the NHL. period.