• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Does Ericsson make Lilja expendable?

Rate this topic

Ericssion-Lilja  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does Ericsson make Lilja expendable?

And let's pretend that Lilja is 100% and won't be on LTIR.

I say no. Some people will probably laugh at me for this but I just haven't seen anything that would make me feel confident enough to say that Ericsson is better than Lilja defensively.

If Lilja's headaches keep up, it wont matter. No one's going to take him in a trade at this point, so hold onto him and hope he'll eventually get healthy.

But as far as a healthy Lilja, no, Ericsson cant play defense or PK like Lilja, but he's young.

Believe it or not, Ericsson is a two way guy with tons of offensive ability. He played Lilja's role in the playoffs, but he's definitely a mobile offensive blue-liner. Lilja's role is to be a big, shutdown player with grit and shotblocking ability.

I like Ericcson a lot, and I think he will become a hell of a D-man. But I totally felt he was exposed in the playoffs on a couple different levels. I think he just needs a full season in the nhl to find his groove.

I do hope that Lilja will return. I didn't realize how valuable of a guy Lilja was, until he wasn't playing. The other D-men were not doing the dirty work, that he would do so quietly, on a nightly basis without recognition.

True, but Lebda doesn't cost 1.25 mil or whatever the hell Lilja's contract is.

To be fair, Lebda doesn't play like a guy worth 1.250 million. Lilja showed last season that's he's a solid defensive presence if he's not making poor turnovers. He's the kind of guy who jars the puck loose so well, and not many people notice that style of play because it's not as flashy. I'd rather see the Twin Towers as the 3rd defensive pairing.

Ericsson-Lilja would make a great third pairing, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case. I've ragged on him endlessly in the past, but I'm going to miss seeing Lillypad out there.

On this team, Lilly is a 3rd pair guy, expendable by definition. Not a knock on him, it would be truly awesome to have a 3rd pair as good as Lilly/Eric. But we don't really need them.

For that matter, any of our defensemen aside from Lidstrom are expendable (or would be if Lilly was healthy).

I know it's just a game, but in NHL 09 I paired Ericsson and Lilja as my #3 guys and they absolutely dominated. We need both of them.

Also, my line of Helm, Abdelkader and Eaves is better than my #1 line of Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom. Go figure, but it sure makes me excited to see them play next year.

Lilja is our only true stay at home defenseman. He kind of provides alot of intangibles this team lacks without him. He blocks shots, is aggressive on the body and will fight ( maybe not well but he's at least willing) Would love a big rig + Lilja pairing but the chances seem slim at this point.

It definitely helps but by no means makes Lilja expandable. Lilja is a pretty important piece to this team. Think about it, hes got to be one of the best 3rd pair defensemen in the league. Hes not going to ask for anymore money in his next contract. He puts our D over the edge.

Lilja is our only true stay at home defenseman. He kind of provides alot of intangibles this team lacks without him. He blocks shots, is aggressive on the body and will fight ( maybe not well but he's at least willing) Would love a big rig + Lilja pairing but the chances seem slim at this point.

I don't think they're slim. Looks like Holland intends to keep Lilja on board until he's healthy. Assuming he gets his grove back once he's healthy we're good to go. Stuart had the persistent post-concussion headaches for a year long period once and he's fine now.

With Lilja's shot-blocking, he is irreplacable. To whom can we turn if Oz and Howard are both injured in the same game? Lilja, that's who.

Ericsson has a great deal of promise. I'm very excited about having him here on a regular basis, but I'd like to see both him and Lils. If anything, E just knocks the rest down a notch on the depth chart.

(Edit for bad grammar.)

(Actually, now that I think about it, it was an edit against bad grammar. The bad grammar was already there.)

Edited by 55fan

Guest blueadams

its really pointless to discuss...lilja said that there are some days where he only goes 3 hours without having headaches. thats serious. seriously serious. he might never play again. right now, lebda is our 6th defender, meech is our 7th, and kindl is the best thing on the horizon.

speaking of nhl09...lol...i'm rolling this right now:

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Williams

Hudler (wearing #21; Leinos not in the game!?)-Filppula-Eaves

Draper-Helm-Maltby

McGrath

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lebda

Meech

Osgood

Howard

I'm getting good production out of all 4 lines, but its frustrating not to be able to hit anyone with that third line, and when the game makes me fight with eaves...lol.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said it today for the first time and I stand by it. We would've repeated as Champs this year with ease with all of our other injuries if just Lilja was back. He wasn't the only difference but he would've made that big of a difference too. He is way under-0appreciated at this point in his career; he was a huge part of our success in '07 and '08. He got a real bad deal off one play in '07 but he was great for us in the playoffs that year and continued it in '08 when we won. I really hope he gets healthy soon.

its really pointless to discuss...lilja said that there are some days where he only goes 3 hours without having headaches. thats serious. seriously serious. he might never play again. right now, lebda is our 6th defender, meech is our 7th, and kindl is the best thing on the horizon.

speaking of nhl09...lol...i'm rolling this right now:

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Williams

Hudler (wearing #21; Leinos not in the game!?)-Filppula-Eaves

Draper-Helm-Maltby

McGrath

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lebda

Meech

Osgood

Howard

I'm getting good production out of all 4 lines, but its frustrating not to be able to hit anyone with that third line, and when the game makes me fight with eaves...lol.

Nooooo, Leino is definitely in the game. I have him on my 2nd line. Check the SM-Liiga on either Jokerit or HFK I believe, but he's on one of the two.

My NHL 09 lines are:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Leino-Filppula-Franzen

Holmstrom-Helm-Williams

Maltby-Draper-Eaves

Oulahen

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lilja-Ericsson

Meech

Osoogd

Howard

I ended up trading Lebda for Byron Bitz from Boston. He's only like 68 overall in the game, but he'll end up being a good checking line player in the game.

Wow. When I left this board to go to bed it seemed as if the collective would think that Ericsson does not make Lilja expendable. Now it's almost even. What has changed? Did this poll suddenly get an infusion of teenage girls who have a thing for Big E's "booming slap shot"?