• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

russianswede919293

McCarty likely to retire

Rate this topic

[/b]

Yeah i dont know about that one. He played a pretty critical role in 96-97 and 97-98. If im not mistaken, he even got the game winner that won us the cup in 96-97 against the flyers. But even dispite his offensive ability, the guy DEFINETLY contributed to those two cups atleast. Take him off the team, you might lose the effectiveness of the whole grindline, which was in its prime and is a big reason why we were able to win those cups back then. Thats my opinion atleast. I could care less if you are a fan of Dmac or not, and im not weighing in on that, but i do think your last statement that i put in bold is a little absurd.

FTW :beerbuddy:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Damn, he was my favorite. Even look at my picture! I do not know why the Griffins wouldn't sign him, McCarty can not be much more worse that Maltby.

The Wings have been looking for another McCarty for years -- he's that middleweight enforcer who could tangle with heavyweights, but was a good skater, solid defensively, could play the Wings puck-possession style of hockey and pitch in offensively with a knack for scoring clutch goals. A "Ra-Ra" type of leader and well-liked throughout the organization and a fan favorite.

What on earth is not to like?

I can only dream Abdelkader turns into half of the all-around player McCarty was.

I do not think we will have another McCarty for a long tome. Luke Schenn reminds me of Mac, but only a defenseman.

I'm just glad that on some level he's able to retire a Wing. I hope to hear him in the broadcast booth and wish him luck going forward. His comeback was inspiring and I'll remember him as much or more for what he did in his own life to get back to win a Cup with us in 2008 as I will for the 97 goal and Turtle.

That will be a sad, sad day when Mick calls it quits.

:(

It will. I love to watch games when they are on FSN and called by Mickey and Ken. If Mickey finally did call it quits who better to bring in then McCarty though? I think it would be cool if they worked him in somehow. He's a fan favorite and will be missed by many.

Darren was one of those players that I always defended, even when everyone else hated their guts. For me, it's great to see him retire as a Wing. He got 4 Cups, his life appears to be back on track and for that, I couldn't be happier. Professional success doesn't always mean much if your personal life is going to hell.

Thanks for the memories, D. :)

so I am not a fan because I don't like McCarty? Hmmmmm, didn't realize that just because someone put on the Wings sweater that I automtically have to like them or else I am not a fan of the entire team and a disgrace. So Claude Lemeuix becomes a Red Wing, I have to like him or I am not a fan? Chis PRonger? Cindy Lee Crosby?

Another thing, if you remove McCarty from this team for his entire career, the Wings still win 4 Cups, so I don't know what your dillusions are about what he did for this team and city, what next, #25 to the rafters? McCarty in the Hall of Fame?

Well when someone plays their brains out every damn nite and does everything in his power to help this team be successful,u might wanna give him some credit.I never said he's a hall of famer.And if u take Darren McCarty off the team for his entire career,they dont win 4 cups for sure.I never said he has to be ur favorite player,but give him some credit for all that he's done for this oranization and this city.ur an assclown

Best of luck Mac

I saw you make your comback. first in Muskegon, at 11am in the morning playing the Muskegon Fury, Then i saw your second home game with the Griffins as they played the Admirals. Then your First game back with the wings against the Blues on March 28th. Then also the playoff game against Nashville where he scored his playoff goal. All In Person, And it's one of my shinning moments as a fan, being able to follow my child hood idle as he climbs the hockey ranks once again From nothing to something in no time flat. Sure he had alot of help, But he wouldn't be in the position if he wasn't willing and capable.

No doubt he'll pull through and find a career. Hopefully revolving around Detroit Hockey, But if not. Hopefully with Hockey or Detroit in general.

Love ya, Mac! Always a Red Wing in my heart. :wub:

I am thrilled he retired a Wing but even more thrilled that he got a second chance -- not only at his beloved hockey career. He was also able to save his own life and to be with his family again. It doesn't get much better than this, when it's time to leave.

Best of luck, Mac, you won't be forgotten!

No doubt about it. Its such a better ending than Darren falling off the face of the hockey world into the waste land of washed out drunken rock 'n roll wannabe losers.

Says a lot about his fortitude to comeback, says a lot about Chris Draper, Mike Illitch, Holland and Devellano. A much better ending to the story. The money he made the last year in GR should be able to carry a guy a long way and that was a huge token of appreciation (and concern) from Mike Illitch. That should not be overlooked.

I'll have to look up attendance figures for GR to see if they were noticeably higher during Macs time than otherwise.

Another thing, if you remove McCarty from this team for his entire career, the Wings still win 4 Cups . . .

You mustn't have been following very closely in 1997 or 2002. In '97 he was as responsible as anyone on the team for the Cup win. His pounding on Lemieux to avenge the cheap shot on Draper brought the team closer together (and he scored the winner in OT that night to cap the most memorable and important regular-season game in franchise history). He scored an absolutely essential breakaway goal on Patrick Roy to salt away Game 2 of that year's Western Final, allowing the Wings to tie the series and giving them the chance to sweep the next two games at home. Then he scored the Cup-winning goal on one of the most dynamic individual efforts of all time.

In 2002, his third-period hat trick on Roy in Game 1 was absolutely critical to the Wings getting back to the Cup final.

Hell, even last year as an in-and-out fourth-liner he still scored a vitally important goal early in the playoffs.

Ask any of the Wings if they'd have won four Cups without him. I think a case can more easily be made that they would not have won a single Cup without him.

You mustn't have been following very closely in 1997 or 2002. In '97 he was as responsible as anyone on the team for the Cup win. His pounding on Lemieux to avenge the cheap shot on Draper brought the team closer together (and he scored the winner in OT that night to cap the most memorable and important regular-season game in franchise history). He scored an absolutely essential breakaway goal on Patrick Roy to salt away Game 2 of that year's Western Final, allowing the Wings to tie the series and giving them the chance to sweep the next two games at home. Then he scored the Cup-winning goal on one of the most dynamic individual efforts of all time.

In 2002, his third-period hat trick on Roy in Game 1 was absolutely critical to the Wings getting back to the Cup final.

Hell, even last year as an in-and-out fourth-liner he still scored a vitally important goal early in the playoffs.

Ask any of the Wings if they'd have won four Cups without him. I think a case can more easily be made that they would not have won a single Cup without him.

:clap: couldn't have said it better myself,McCarty has been a crucial part to all of our past 4 Stanley Cup Championships.

I'm holding off until there's an official announcement, but if this is true I want to thank him for everything he's done for this organization.

Tons of heart, loved by all Wings fans....including myself obviously.

No, no he wasn't. Like the rest of the vocal minority I am glad to see this guy go. This is someone who made a disaster out of their personal life and I'm not going to root for a guy like that. I'll take a Yzerman or a Sakic over a McCarty alllllllll day.

This is someone who made a disaster out of their personal life and I'm not going to root for a guy like that.

I don't even know you and I'm still willing to say this, as I'm 100% sure it's true:

Judgmental hypocrite.

EDIT: I should expound, lest I come off as someone simply making personal attacks. Who among us hasn't run into a spell of trouble in our personal life, be it substances, finances, infidelity, resentment, jealousy... If you want to take Yzerman or Sakic first, fine, but I don't think that was the point of this thread by a long shot. Mac ran into troubles like the rest of us, conquered them, and has provided us with many years of entertaining hockey before and since. To condemn him for his personal troubles has your glass house trembling in fear.

Edited by Uncle Danny

I don't even know you and I'm still willing to say this, as I'm 100% sure it's true:

Judgmental hypocrite.

EDIT: I should expound, lest I come off as someone simply making personal attacks. Who among us hasn't run into a spell of trouble in our personal life, be it substances, finances, infidelity, resentment, jealousy... If you want to take Yzerman or Sakic first, fine, but I don't think that was the point of this thread by a long shot. Mac ran into troubles like the rest of us, conquered them, and has provided us with many years of entertaining hockey before and since. To condemn him for his personal troubles has your glass house trembling in fear.

You are wrong and this is why. If I take my personal life to work I run the risk of losing my job because like 99% of the population we aren't allowed to take our personal lives to work with us. Lets not grant every althete with a sobriety problem sainthood just because it makes them seem more real to us. Hey, Michael Vick has paid he debt to society too and I don't see everyone jumping to his aid now that he is officially reformed.

You are wrong and this is why. If I take my personal life to work I run the risk of losing my job because like 99% of the population we aren't allowed to take our personal lives to work with us. Lets not grant every althete with a sobriety problem sainthood just because it makes them seem more real to us. Hey, Michael Vick has paid he debt to society too and I don't see everyone jumping to his aid now that he is officially reformed.

So you're comparing dogfighting to a marginal athlete whose substance abuse problems maybe shortened his career by a year or two? Come on. I also highly doubt that Vick ever took his dogs to work. Just sayin.

I don't ever recall hearing about Mac showing up drunk at the rink, either. Where is your argument? Did I call him a saint? Did anyone appreciating his contributions in this thread call him a saint?

EDIT:

Also, where was it ever stated that Mac took his personal life to his job? Where was it even implied that he would get a pass for so doing? No where, so far as I've seen. If he even once showed up too hungover to compete, let alone drunk, he'd have been on his ass in the AHL faster than the 99% you mentioned. This is a man making a lot of money to compete at the highest level in the world. You mentioned sainthood being unfair, which I've already (kinda) agreed with. Does vilifying him for being a human being with imperfections for the same reason make any more sense? Have you never had a few too many ginger ales? You're fired!

Edited by Uncle Danny

Good lord, if we are going to devalue every single hockey player with an alchohol problem, addiction or whom let their personal life affect their play on the job -- well, there really are not going to be too many players left to cheer for.

Edited by egroen

It sucks to see DMac go but it's about time (maybe a year too late, but whatever). I remember that goal in 1997. I was only 12 years old and he became my favorite Red Wing (along with Stevie Y). Watching the beating he gave turtle still gives me chills. It was great to see him win the cup in 2008 after hitting rock bottom. For those who want to hate on DMac, just please go away or go create your own thread to hate on him. If you can't see what he brought to this team and appreciate it, you're blind.