• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Wings grant tryout to Dan Cloutier

Rate this topic

Hi there! Speaking as someone that has watched Howard for the last few years here in GR, I can say that you obviously HAVEN'T been watching him for the last few years.

Howie has improved almost every game he has played for the Griffins. He's not the guy that you saw get beat playing behind a bunch of injury replacements.

Let J-Ho get into a game with the NHL Wings agains an NHL team (instead of the Detroit Griffins squad he's been behind recently when playing an NHL game) and you will see that he is indeed an NHL ready goalie.

Cloutier is here so that other teams will see him and hopefully sign him. That's all. We don't even have any room for him in the AHL, with McCollum coming up.

x2 he's played some great hockey in GR.

I think that Cloutier might resurrect his career here. After all:

Osgood

Chelios

Hasek

Hull

Any number of the 90s players who played into their 40s with this team

CuJo

Legace

Kocur the 2nd time around

He's only 32, I think that officially would DROP our average age.

If by some miracle Cloutier shines at training camp, what does that mean for Howard?

No more spicy foods before bed.

By the way, am I the only one here who actually likes Cloutier? In a kind of way like you like the little retarded kid in the neighbourhood who likes to hang around, so you let him shoot a couple of baskets with you before telling him that his mommy is calling.

Edited by 55fan

No more spicy foods before bed.

By the way, am I the only one here who actually likes Cloutier? In a kind of way like you like the little retarded kid in the neighbourhood who likes to hang around, so you let him shoot a couple of baskets with you before telling him that his mommy is calling.

I like Cloutier... Despite the up and down career, he has displayed some pretty good talent in the past and should really push Howard. Also, if Howard can't beat out Clouts, then Howard gets dealt and Clouts signs on the cheap (like $500k-$750k) and the Wings get a veteran backup who might just be worth picking up for a season or two until the Wings decide to bring up Larsson or McCollum.

I don't see a reason for Cloutier, really. Even if Howard isn't great, he doesn't have to be. In order to save cap space and test out just how good he is, we need to go with Howard. He just has to be decent enough to not get blown out each night, and the team will do the rst. Ozzie will be carrying the load.

From ESPN Insider:

Dan Cloutier is at camp on a tryout basis, but he's not trying out for a spot on the Wings -- he's simply trying to get a contract, likely a two-way deal that will have him play in the minors.

"We either get him into a game, or don't get him into a game and release him," Wings GM Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press. "I've talked to his agent -- I know what it would take to get him signed. He's looking for an opportunity."

Edited by CenterIce

There is no way Cloutier, no matter how well he does, replaces Howard on the Wings roster this year. Best case scenario for Cloutier is that he impresses enough to land a minor league spot somewhere with a contract for the Wings and he returns to camp next year to compete for the back up job if Howard fails to have a decent year.

Let the rejoicing begin:

General manager Ken Holland is considering offering Cloutier a two-way contract but would need to find a minor-league team for him because he will not play in Detroit. The Red Wings are set with Jimmy Howard as their backup and that's not going to change going into the season.

Cloutier might end up playing in Europe.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...to_play_in.html

He isn't signed to a contract. And, in all likelihood, won't be.

Read an article today that Holland is considering offering him a two way deal if we can find a minor league team for him. He mentioned, though, that no one is taking Howard's spot.

Cloutier Link

*EDIT: Ah, Zetts you beat me to it.

Edited by Lamothe