• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Wings grant tryout to Dan Cloutier

Rate this topic

Not a big deal. Just buying time til we hit the goalie jackpot with Pearce, McCollum or Larsson.

For the record, coming out of college hockey Howard was as highly touted or more so than any of those three.

In my opinion, out of the three listed we can be most excited about Larsson since he's the only one to excel at the professional level. We'll see about McCollum when he gets his shot in the AHL this season.

For the record, coming out of college hockey Howard was as highly touted or more so than any of those three.

In my opinion, out of the three listed we can be most excited about Larsson since he's the only one to excel at the professional level. We'll see about McCollum when he gets his shot in the AHL this season.

You're people are talking like Howard's a foregone bust.

Tim Thomas was 31 and a career nomad before he settled in with the Bruins.

Holland himself said that 30 was the magic age for a goalie to start to roll in the NHL.

Howard's what? 25?

I'm not saying Jimmy's will get it done, but I'd be careful about publicly predicting his fate prematurely.

Goalies are weird and take the longest to develop on average. However this season looks like it is Howard's last chance at least with the Wings. Hopefully he can conquer his inconsistent play and be able to maintain solid goaltending for a little longer then a period at a time.

You're people are talking like Howard's a foregone bust.

Tim Thomas was 31 and a career nomad before he settled in with the Bruins.

Holland himself said that 30 was the magic age for a goalie to start to roll in the NHL.

Howard's what? 25?

I'm not saying Jimmy's will get it done, but I'd be careful about publicly predicting his fate prematurely.

I didn't say Howard was a bust at all. In my post I quoted someone who listed three goalies who were below Howard in the depth chart and I was careful to indicate that I was saying Larsson was the best of those three.

I've always supported Howard.

Goalies are weird and take the longest to develop on average. However this season looks like it is Howard's last chance at least with the Wings. Hopefully he can conquer his inconsistent play and be able to maintain solid goaltending for a little longer then a period at a time.

Howard isn't going to be expected to completely conquer his inconsistent play this season (no goalie does in his rookie season, hell it usually takes quite a few years to get your goalie to start playing consistent hockey on the NHL level). All he has to do is show his talent level and play well in enough games to justify the job he's been given. This is an ideal situation for Howard since Ozzy isn't one of those goalies who exhausts himself in the regular season only to burn out in the playoffs (Kipper, Lou, Giggy, etc... with a few playoff runs in each goalie's case as the exception). Howard's going to get 20-25 starts, maybe even 30 depending on what he shows and how Ozzy holds up from an injury/fatigue standpoint.

he did play one game with the detroit vipers, and he played junior hockey in sault ste. marie.

he must have a favor due from way back.

I'm thinking this is it too. He must have a favor or connection.

The article points out he called the Wings and asked for a tryout. They didn't reach out to him.

The Red Wings don't have a lot to lose here. They give a former NHLer a second chance, and will likely bolster the goalscoring confidence of everyone who shoots on him.

I'm thinking this is it too. He must have a favor or connection.

The article points out he called the Wings and asked for a tryout. They didn't reach out to him.

The Red Wings don't have a lot to lose here. They give a former NHLer a second chance, and will likely bolster the goalscoring confidence of everyone who shoots on him.

The Wings should just put him in a rink with Filppula all camp. By the end of it Val's confidence issues will be gone-- he'll be convinced he's the best sniper on the team. :P

The Wings should just put him in a rink with Filppula all camp. By the end of it Val's confidence issues will be gone-- he'll be convinced he's the best sniper on the team. :P

or maybe he's going to make Jimmy Howard look like Terry 'effen' Sawchuk! :lol:

Guest micah

I told you idiots Holland would make a move to toughen up this sissy-squadron.

In all seriousness, I always though that Cloutier had the skills to be a great goalie. He seems to be f***ed in the head, but he's very good, occasionally. I think he's a fine camp gamble. If he's great (he won't be), we win, if he sucks (he will), no loss. Best case scenewrio, he looks as brilliant as he dod for brief momments in his carreer, he gains some confidence, and becomes a backup more capable than Howie.

"Well Jimmy, the good news is you won't be playing in GR this year, as a matter of fact just to show you how much faith we have in you, we went and signed the worst possible NHL goalie we could find to compete with you out of camp. Congrats Kid!!!"

LMAO Howard has to be pissed, in fairness to Cloutier if he really does out play Jimmy then welcome the team and I guess we'll know that Jimmy was never meant to be an NHL goalie.

He wasn't signed, he was given a camp tryout. There is a very big difference there...

Hey Ozzy make sure he dosnt swipe any of your masks.

Of all the guys to bring in for a goal tender tryout him? Im very surprised.

Lets hope Howard does beat him out and gains some confidence from it.

"Cloutier, 33, who contacted the club and asked for the tryout, hasn't played since appearing in nine games with the Los Angeles Kings in 2007-08. He has been bothered by a series of ailments, including a season-ending hip injury midway through 2006-07."

Cloutier asked for the tryout. Holland didn't go to him, he came to us. Holland just granted his wish. I don't think it was under the organizations to do list to nail a new goaltender, especially one such as Cloutier. I'm sure he is just here to sharpen up his own skills and push Howard a little. I don't even think the Wings would offer him a two way contract with McCollum and Larsson in Grand Rapids. I highly doubt he'll be sticking around.

*Edit: I apologize, that excerpt was taken from the Freep article on Cloutier.

Edited by Lamothe