• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

Ericsson out with "deep bone & muscle bruise"

Rate this topic

Great news! The way he went down and laid there in the fetal position made me cringe. He looked like he was in a tremendous amount of pain as he was being assisted off the ice. I was expecting far worse news.

This is the toughest Wing team since the late 90's.

May, Janik, Bertuzzi, Newbury.

Too bad Lilja isn't around, or else we'd be a full blown goon squad. :lol:

Amen to that. I only wish that they would show off their toughness a little more. May is the only one that has been doing much of it.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2009121...ructural-damage

Detroit -- The news on Jonathan Ericsson was as good as could be expected for the Wings.

Tests revealed a deep bone bruise on his left knee and in his calf muscle, but no structural damage.

"What I've been told is that he'll be out a minimum of two weeks, but we will know a lot more in a week or so," general manager Ken Holland said.

Ericsson was injured Monday on a check from Phoenix captain Shane Doan in the first period.

Holland said the Wings will recall Doug Janik from Grand Rapids to replace Ericsson.

"Janik has the ability to kill penalties, and Jonathan Ericsson was eating up a lot of minutes on our penalty-kill," Holland said. "We needed a guy with the same ability to eat up those minutes."

Janik, who has played in one game with the Wings this season, had 15 points and a plus-10 rating in Grand Rapids.

Darren Helm, who has a strained tendon in his wrist, will be evaluated again Wednesday. He could play Thursday against Tampa Bay.

Good job by Holland to call out Kindl. There's no doubt in my mind that if Kindl was better defensively he'd be the one called up.

Any news that doesnt have the terms torn or ripped in it is good news !

those words could be a part of good news, so long as they were preceded by the words "lebda" and "contract"...

also pretty glad its *only* a couple weeks to a month...i was sure it was gonna be much, much worse.

Strange how Mule's injury looked like nothing and he turns out to be out long term while Big E looked like his season could be over and yet he's only out around 2 weeks.

The Big E? Lindros? JK. You know the injuries just don't faze me anymore. I have a whole new faith in our future with 1/2 the roster being from GR and the show they are putting on. When the new year comes and we get the regulars back, it will be like Holland had a pre-salary cap deadline day. I can't wait. I just hope that the chemistry being built now is not ruined when they do return.

:unsure:

Sooooo, not to be Debbie Downer, or break up the genuinely kick-ass poetry slam you guys have going on, but...

Why are other sources saying he's out INDEFINITELY??

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=509996

There really is no timeline for recovery for a bone bruise. It can take 2 weeks, or it could take all year.

:unsure:

Sooooo, not to be Debbie Downer, or break up the genuinely kick-ass poetry slam you guys have going on, but...

Why are other sources saying he's out INDEFINITELY??

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=509996

We don't need to listen to this. It only comes from the Red Wings. It's not like it comes from the Detroit News or something. :music: La la la two weeks! :noevil:

The Big E? Lindros? JK. You know the injuries just don't faze me anymore. I have a whole new faith in our future with 1/2 the roster being from GR and the show they are putting on. When the new year comes and we get the regulars back, it will be like Holland had a pre-salary cap deadline day. I can't wait. I just hope that the chemistry being built now is not ruined when they do return.

Hopefully it will feel like Trade Deadline Day with everyone coming back.

We don't need to listen to this. It only comes from the Red Wings. It's not like it comes from the Detroit News or something. :music: La la la two weeks! :noevil:

all that article says is ericsson wont be playing soon(which everyone should know), the two weeks still stand. i like how he didnt tear a ligament, thats promising there. bad injury if he did.

Edited by hokeychik22

Quite frankly I've never liked Ericsson that much. Yah every once in a while he has a key play like the save the other night, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Half the time he's on the ice he's on his ass or acting like Lebda. I'm really surprised that so many people are so sympathetic. Don't get me wrong, I know that every stick matter with all these injuries, but I'ld like to see some players like Kindle and Janik come up and prove themselves. Even Babs keeps saying (and I know he's just trying to be optimistic, but...) when one guy falls, another guy gets a chance to show everyone what they have to offer. Look at the situation this way, this is really flexing the Wings chart depth and Babs's ability to coach.

Oh, and I'm hearing more "indefinitely" reports than "few weeks" reports.

Quite frankly I've never liked Ericsson that much. Yah every once in a while he has a key play like the save the other night, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Half the time he's on the ice he's on his ass or acting like Lebda. I'm really surprised that so many people are so sympathetic. Don't get me wrong, I know that every stick matter with all these injuries, but I'ld like to see some players like Kindle and Janik come up and prove themselves. Even Babs keeps saying (and I know he's just trying to be optimistic, but...) when one guy falls, another guy gets a chance to show everyone what they have to offer. Look at the situation this way, this is really flexing the Wings chart depth and Babs's ability to coach.

Oh, and I'm hearing more "indefinitely" reports than "few weeks" reports.

Because he played in the playoffs and is older, I think people here think Ericsson has more experience than he actually does, but this is essentially his rookie season.

Ericsson was just coming up on his 80th NHL game. And with all the injuries he's been picking up more ice time than he otherwise would have and may be ready for. Whereas this is Lebda's 5th season. He's played over 350 games in the NHL and doesn't look that great playing 14 minutes a night, with zero time on the PK. He's a known and limited quantity.

If he stays relatively healthy, plays more physical, and continues to develop, Ericsson could be a great top 4 guy for the Wings. I think less than one full NHL season is a little early to write him off in place of Kindle. And Janik isn't really a prospect. He's a 29 year old AHLer who's been up in the NHL a few times, but never made a permanent lineup.

no need to panic

we've got janik

:lol:

When our options dwindle

then we'll use Kindl!!

Then when he drops to the floor

We'll just call up Delmore!

Oops! He pulled a tendon

Here comes Smith, Brendan

Look like hes gone quiet...

Not to fear here comes Pyett!

And when he's pissed us all off,

Come, Sergei Kolosov!

You guys are unstoppable today!

Thank God the injury isn't more serious.

Guest micah
Sad news from the x-ray?

They always have young Sebastien Piche.

Miss the grit of Dallas drake?

Take another look at Robin Big Snake.