• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Midseason Awards

Rate this topic

If you had to give out the end-of-season awards (Jack Adams, Hart Memorial, Calder, etc) right now, who would you give them all out to?

edit: here are a list of most of the awards handed out that aren't based solely on statistics:

Hart: MVP

Lady Byng: Outstanding sportsmanship/gentlemanly play

Vezina: Top goalie

Calder: Top rookie

Norris: Top defensman

Jack Adams: Top coach

Selke: Top defensive forward

Edited by Echolalia

Guest mindfly

Hart: Ilya Bryzgalov

Vezina: Ryan Miller

Norris: Duncan Keith

Selke: Zack Parise

Jack Adams: Dave Tippet

Hart: Joe Thornton - if Ryan Miller can continue his play for the entire season he will win it, but winning the points race by a wide margin is usually a world-beater

Lady Byng: Pavel Datsyuk - Elite player, on pace for 12 PIM

Vezina: Ryan Miller - this one isn't even close in my mind

Calder: John Tavares - the gap is tightening, but JT has been the best rookie to date

Norris: Duncan Keith - Again, not even close. Mike Green is closer to a Selke winner than he is a Norris winner.

Jack Adams: Dave Tippett

Selke: Pavel Datsyuk - even with the production dip, he still is +11, leads the league in takeaways, is 10th in faceoffs at 57% and is the #1 shutdown player on a completely depleted roster

Isn't MVP given to the player that best helps his team succeed, not the best player in the league.

yes - and although I disagree with the choice - I agree with the reasoning... he has stood on his head for them

Mine would be:

Hart: Joe Thornton - His assists and overall presence is huge... a good argument can be made for Ilya Bryzgalov of PHX

Lady Byng: Pavel Datsyuk - A good argument could be made for Matt Ellis in BUF too, only 4 PIM's so far... on a side note, I think the Lady Byng needs to return to it's former prestige and not only go off of gentlemanly play, but be basically an MVP who also exudes gentlemanly play... like it used to be...

Vezina: Ryan Miller - Hands down

Calder: John Tavares by a slim margin to me and a pretty good argument can be made for Niklas Bergfors of NJ

Norris: Mike Green - as long as he keeps the +/- up and keeps producing, you can't argue, regardless of how much of a true defensman he is...

Jack Adams: Terry Murray - amazing turn around in LA and looking like a legit cup contender - A damn good argument can be made for Mike Babcock with the turnover, injuries, etc... and a damn good argument can be made for Dave Tippet in PHX too

Selke: Jonathan Toews - ugh, hurts me to say it, but he's been amazing defensively this year and his +/- shows it...

Edited by stevkrause

Doesn't add up to me. How can the MVP of all the players of the league be a goalie and not the best goalie?

Well, as someone already mentioned, the MVP shouldn't necessarily be the best player, would look strange to have an MVP goalie that didn't also win the Vezina though, however, in the 6 times a goalie has won the Hart (in history, I could be wrong on the number), 3 of those times, a different goalie won the Vezina. Last time this happened was in 1954 though.

What I think is more strange and also happened pretty recently, is a Vezina winning goalie that is not named to the 1st all star team.

In 2002, Theodore won the Hart and the Vezina, but Roy was named to the 1st All Star Team. The Vezina and 1st team are both "best at position" awards, so they should be the same.

To get to the bottom of this, however, I think it comes down to who is voting. The Vezina is voted on by the league's GMs while the Hart and the end of year 1st and 2nd All Star teams are voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. You may then wonder why the same group would vote Theodore for the Hart, but not 1st team all star, but then I think that is explained by the Hart being for MVP, not necessarily best player.

Off topic, I would love to see Mike Green come here. I think he's going to be the best Defensmen in the league for many years to come - he's young and quickly rounding out his defensive side the game. A perfect filler for Lidstrom's spot.

Off topic, I would love to see Mike Green come here. I think he's going to be the best Defensmen in the league for many years to come - he's young and quickly rounding out his defensive side the game. A perfect filler for Lidstrom's spot.

there's no way Washington allows that to happen unless they get Howard. Their defense is weak after Green and so is their Goaltending, not the best combo.

there's no way Washington allows that to happen unless they get Howard. Their defense is weak after Green and so is their Goaltending, not the best combo.

I can't disagree. And to be honest, I think Wings future at D is very strong with Kindl, Smith and Lashoff to play soon (the latter two should be 3 years away).

Guest Lidstromboli

Hart: Marian Gaborik

Lady Byng: Zach Parise

Calder: Tyler Myers

Jack Adams: Dave Tippett

Selke: Tomas Plekanec or Mikko Koivu

Hart: Henrik Sedin (long shot, but he carried the team when his brother was injured and he's battling for the scoring lead in the league)

Vezina: Miller

Selke: Datsyuk (offensive production down but I feel he's better than ever defensively)

Lady Byng: Datsyuk. Or why not LIDSTROM? Neither of them would even have a penalty minute this season if the refs were competent.

Calder: Hmm, Bergfors could take it if he keeps up. Tavares is the favorite right now. Howard/Varlamov are contenders too, with J-Ho having an advantage since Varly has been injured and is playing on a better team.

Jack Adams: Babcock. If he doesn't win it when he's got an all-star roster and wins the President's Trophy, then he should atleast win it if he gets an AHL team into the playoffs.

Norris: Drew Doughty

Ugh. Not only is he as bad as Lebda defensively ("rounding out his defensive side" my ass), he seems to be a complete ******.

Ugh. Not only is he as bad as Lebda defensively ("rounding out his defensive side" my ass), he seems to be a complete ******.

I wouldn't go that far, but he's a long way from being a good replacement for Lids. Definitely a shot-first/defend-second kind of player. His style works for the Caps because that's their entire mentality, but I would definitely not want to see him here. And yeah, he does kind of seem like a turd bag.

I also totally agree that Howard could be a real Calder contender. He's 6th in Goals Against and Save% while logging more minutes than Tukka Rask and Semyon Varlamov (both of whom rank ahead of him in one category or the other).

I wouldn't go that far, but he's a long way from being a good replacement for Lids. Definitely a shot-first/defend-second kind of player. His style works for the Caps because that's their entire mentality, but I would definitely not want to see him here. And yeah, he does kind of seem like a turd bag.

I also totally agree that Howard could be a real Calder contender. He's 6th in Goals Against and Save% while logging more minutes than Tukka Rask and Semyon Varlamov (both of whom rank ahead of him in one category or the other).

You're going to have to wait 5 life times to see a 'good' replacement for Lids. He's irreplaceable. We'll never see anyone in our lifetime that could even compare within even the slightest fraction of an amount.

Hart: Thornton

Lady Byng: Parise

Calder: close one - John Tavares - could easily be Howard,Rask, or Myers

Jack Adams: Quenneville

Selke: Travis Zajac

Presidents Trophy - NJ Devils

Stanley Cup - Red Wings :beerbuddy: [or Devils]

Hart: Ryan Miller

Lady Byng: Dats or St. Louis

Calder: Howard (homer vote, but valid)

Norris: Keith

Jack Adams: Babs! (Not sure he'll get it, but keeping a team this injured where it is? Yea. If the Wings make the POs..)

Selke: Dats again (Don't think he'll get it, however)

Hart: Joe Thornton - if Ryan Miller can continue his play for the entire season he will win it, but winning the points race by a wide margin is usually a world-beater

I get why this guy is getting picked but I really doubt it will be a wide margin. And if either Ovie or Gaborik score 55ish goals and end up within 5 points of Thornton then they're going to be ahead. Goals count for so much more.

Hart: Ryan Miller because I don't see a clear enough leader in points right now.

Lady Byng: Brad Richards.

Vezina: Ryan Miller is quite simply the man right now.

Calder: If Tuukka Rask gets a lot more games to finish the season and keeps the same kinds of stats I'll go with him. Howard suffers from being Howard unfortunately. I just can't rank him that highly. Otherwise Tavares/Del Zotto/Bergfors. It'll depend on total points/total goals ratio as usual.

Norris: Duncan Keith because I prefer him to most of the other choices in the top 5 point-scoring defencemen.

Jack Adams: Dave Tippett (As long as the Coyotes stay in a playoff spot and esp. if they stay within the top-4)

Selke: I have no idea.

Noooooo!

He is in no way a good choice to fill Lidstroms' spot. Mike Green as the #1 guy in clutch situation would be disaster for the Wings. He still has suspect decision making.

I'd be amazed if Green was the best defenseman in the league for years to come. Not saying it can't happen, but he'd have to transform his defensive game. Though I think he'll continue to put up gaudy numbers that may get him another undeserved Norris nod.

Thankfully I can't see the Caps getting rid of him, and he's really a better fit in their style of play than the Wings system. I can't imagine him playing under Babcock. After his third bad decision to jump into the play, he'd probably be riding the pine.

Noooooo!

He is in no way a good choice to fill Lidstroms' spot. Mike Green as the #1 guy in clutch situation would be disaster for the Wings. He still has suspect decision making.

I'd be amazed if Green was the best defenseman in the league for years to come. Not saying it can't happen, but he'd have to transform his defensive game. Though I think he'll continue to put up gaudy numbers that may get him another undeserved Norris nod.

Thankfully I can't see the Caps getting rid of him, and he's really a better fit in their style of play than the Wings system. I can't imagine him playing under Babcock. After his third bad decision to jump into the play, he'd probably be riding the pine.

True but he plays for the Capitals. If anybody can shape him up to be a better overall defensive players, it's the Detroit Red Wings system and training.

Guest zackmorris
Norris: Mike Green - as long as he keeps the +/- up and keeps producing, you can't argue, regardless of how much of a true defensman he is...

I could've swore the Norris was for the best defenseman. You know....DEFENSEman....DEFENSE. Deeeeefense.

Mike Green looks as confused in his own end as Meech. The trend recently has been to at least nominate whatever faux forward dman that scores 65 points or more. f*** that. If you can't play defense, you're not nominated in my mind.

I remember when guys who scored 40 points were nominated. Remember when Rob Blake won with only 50 points? He was a freakin MINUS! Guys like Hatcher, Stevens, Chelly...all nominated while scoring something like 30 points a season.

The same reason why Green shouldn't be up for it, is the same reason why Lids should be nominated as well. It's just a matter of perspective-by his standards, he's not playing as well as he can offensively. But imagine if a kid walked into the NHL and played Lidstrom-esque defense? We'd all s*** a brick and nominate him instantly. Lids is still 100% lock-down on defense. He'll probably reach 45 points and be around +30 taking into consideration pace, traditional second half play, injuried players returning, etc. To me, it's Boyle, Lidstrom and Keith. Bouwmeester, Chara and Doughty on the bubble.