• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Miller Brew

Don Cherry pissed off

Rate this topic

Junior sports aren't that big in Europe, not nearly on the same level as in the US or Canada. Phenomenon like college basketball or football don't exist. Junior sport is the realm of parents and diehards, at least in Sweden. When there's a big championship like the Worlds or maybe some kind of national final then more people watch but otherwise it's not really that relevant.

They produce prospects who turn into great NHL players. Russians, Swedes and Americans produce great players yet they seem to have a hard time when they are younger. I don't see the correlation. You say that it's not that big of a deal in Europe but if you are a good player you are a good player.

The only thing I could see here is the development in countries other then Canada isn't as good in the rest of the world.

No, it isn't. The US has been out of the medal count one time in the history of basketball being played in the Olympics, and has won gold four of the last five games. Canada has won the gold in hockey a whopping two times in over 50 years.

Seriously, do you bother actually LOOKING at the evidence before you start making arguments? The statistical facts completely undermine everything you say.

I didn't even know the numbers until you mentioned them. I looked them up my self and wow there is a lot of gold around the Americans necks.

They produce prospects who turn into great NHL players. Russians, Swedes and Americans produce great players yet they seem to have a hard time when they are younger. I don't see the correlation. You say that it's not that big of a deal in Europe but if you are a good player you are a good player.

The only thing I could see here is the development in countries other then Canada isn't as good in the rest of the world.

Yeah but there's an immediate flaw in your argument. Yes, the prospects might TURN INTO great players but they aren't yet. The pressure and expectations placed on players are higher on Canadians at the age of 15,16,17 than on European equivalents. The best prospects at that age are pretty much already professionals. The attendance figures for the Memorial Cup is insane for in terms of Swedish equivalents.

Guest lilja4mvp
The quote you were responding to asked you to explain how you determined cherry to be senile.

If you wanted to answer the question instead of just troll, you would have given examples of his rational behavior as a younger man and as a middle=ager, and contrasted them with recent examples of nonsence. Instead, you're argument for Cherry's senility seems to be "He's older than me and I don't agree with him - so he's senile!!"

i'm aware of what he asked. it wasn't relevant to the post where he called me out. no one was discussing why i thought cherry was senile. i said cherry should STFU about troops, people got offended, i made a joke about how someone in the very same page said "name-calling was uncouth!", and then he said i couldn't make an argument. it wasn't until i had to ask him "wtf am i arguing about? wanting don cherry to STFU about troops?" that he back-pedaled and asked about why i though he was senile.

anyway, is this a serious question? just look at the guy. i wouldn't be surprised if he shows up to the next coach's corner with a stack of pancakes on his head. he's ******* mental.

anyway, is this a serious question? just look at the guy. i wouldn't be surprised if he shows up to the next coach's corner with a stack of pancakes on his head. he's ******* mental.

I don't know about the pancakes on his head, maybe a suit made out of pancakes with pure, untainted, hardcore, CANADIAN, maple syrup...

Yeah but there's an immediate flaw in your argument. Yes, the prospects might TURN INTO great players but they aren't yet. The pressure and expectations placed on players are higher on Canadians at the age of 15,16,17 than on European equivalents. The best prospects at that age are pretty much already professionals. The attendance figures for the Memorial Cup is insane for in terms of Swedish equivalents.

Which has a lot to do with develpment. So Cherry saying we are the best at developing players isn't exactly a lie.

Which has a lot to do with develpment. So Cherry saying we are the best at developing players isn't exactly a lie.

That's not exactly a singular opinion you know. Kind of like saying Ovechkin is a good goalscorer or that Brodeur is a good goalie.

That's not exactly a singular opinion you know. Kind of like saying Ovechkin is a good goalscorer or that Brodeur is a good goalie.

I realize that but that is partially what this thread is about.

i'm aware of what he asked. it wasn't relevant to the post where he called me out. no one was discussing why i thought cherry was senile. i said cherry should STFU about troops, people got offended, i made a joke about how someone in the very same page said "name-calling was uncouth!", and then he said i couldn't make an argument. it wasn't until i had to ask him "wtf am i arguing about? wanting don cherry to STFU about troops?" that he back-pedaled and asked about why i though he was senile.

When I asked why does he deserve to be hated you just laughed at my post.

So I told you not to watch him.

Then you basically told me to piss off because I just gave you a typical Cherry homer response?

Yet your hatred for Cherry just seems to stem from him saying "i don't want to hear about this US development!" a few times. Then bringing up that you also hate that he talks about the troops.

You call him moronic and senile but you never really say why he should be hated or why US Hockey development is great?

No, it isn't. The US has been out of the medal count one time in the history of basketball being played in the Olympics (that was 1980, when they didn't even attend), and has won gold four of the last five games. Canada has won the gold in hockey a whopping two times in over 50 years.

Seriously, do you bother actually LOOKING at the evidence before you start making arguments? The statistical facts completely undermine everything you're saying.

There are as many examples of that being untrue as there is of that being the case. England invented cricket yet has a terrible national team. Same with soccer, yet England is terrible in international play. A Canadian invented basketball, yet Canada is largely irrelevant when it comes to the sport - certainly not 'dominant' by any stretch of the imagination.

Not to say that Canada isn't a contender for gold at the Olympics, but saying they're the odds-on favourite to win it because they happened to invent hockey is ridiculously misguided.

From Wikipedia, forgive the alignment.

This is the all-time count of medals won in ice hockey at the Olympics, including both the men's and women's tournaments.

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total

1 Canada (CAN) 9 5 2 16

2 Soviet Union (URS) 7 1 1 9

3 United States (USA) 3 8 2 13

4 Sweden (SWE) 2 3 5 10

Now for cricket, who does have the best criket team most of the time? I don't know, but I'm willing to bet that they were once under British rule. (India or Australia would be my guesses).

As for the Canadian inventing basketball, so what? It flourished in America and so it became an "American" sport.

I don't think that Canada is the odds on favorite, Canadians do. I think that the Russians will end up with the gold, Canada silver, and Sweden bronze over Finland, USA 5th. It is the unusual amount of "homerism" that I find amusing with Canadians regarding their Olympic teams and their NHL teams as well. Example, the Wings-Sharks game highlights on TSN.ca were 45 seconds long, the Nucks-Flames were 2 minutes 45 seconds long. Now I know that the Canadian game had a few fights and a sniper during the game but I'm pretty sure that unless the Wings are playing another Canadian team I will have to rely on Yahoo! for real highlights of Wings games, but the Leafs-Anybody game will have ample highlights of missed passes and wristshot saves from the point. More examples, every game with a Canadian team had highlights over 2 minutes, every other game under 2 minutes and a couple under one minute. That includes the Caps game where 9 goals were scored.

I'm tired of typing. Just argue again and I'll respond when I'm ready.

It is the unusual amount of "homerism" that I find amusing with Canadians regarding their Olympic teams and their NHL teams as well. Example, the Wings-Sharks game highlights on TSN.ca were 45 seconds long, the Nucks-Flames were 2 minutes 45 seconds long. Now I know that the Canadian game had a few fights and a sniper during the game but I'm pretty sure that unless the Wings are playing another Canadian team I will have to rely on Yahoo! for real highlights of Wings games, but the Leafs-Anybody game will have ample highlights of missed passes and wristshot saves from the point. More examples, every game with a Canadian team had highlights over 2 minutes, every other game under 2 minutes and a couple under one minute. That includes the Caps game where 9 goals were scored.

You're joking right? In Sweden when they show highlights from games on tv or write articles in the news covering the NHL then they always cover some accomplishment made by a Swede. For example if Bäckström assists on one of Ovechkin's goals in a game where he scores a hattrick then the headline to that article will be "Bäckström the reason for Ovechkin's success." Yeah I'm exaggerating but to be surprised at this kind of bias is strange.

Guest micah

You've determined that he's senile and "mental" because he dresses in an uncommon fashion? I see. No further questions.

You've determined that he's senile and "mental" because he dresses in an uncommon fashion? I see. No further questions.

He probably isn't senile but if you don't think he's a bit mental just based on observing his fashion sense and behavior then something is wrong with your senses.

You're joking right? In Sweden when they show highlights from games on tv or write articles in the news covering the NHL then they always cover some accomplishment made by a Swede. For example if Bäckström assists on one of Ovechkin's goals in a game where he scores a hattrick then the headline to that article will be "Bäckström the reason for Ovechkin's success." Yeah I'm exaggerating but to be surprised at this kind of bias is strange.

There are Canadians on every NHL team. There are Swedes on most NHL teams. I am aware of a country's natural bias. I'm sure that in Sweden everyone thinks that a Swede is the best player in the world, as I'm sure it is the same in Russia and pretty much everywhere else. Canada has selected Crosby as the best player in the world. They can if they want, I am sure that they believe that he is the best player. Just as I am sure that a lot of Red Wing fans are homers in thinking that a Red Wing is the best player in the NHL.

I just was saying that the Canadians are much more interested in their teams because they think that their teams are better BECAUSE they are Canadian. The Habs and the Leafs are the greatest teams of all time because Canadians say so. Bring up that neither have enjoyed recent successes and you are shouted down by the number of Cups and the goals and points and the Original Six and made for TV movies and the legends and yada yada yada...

From Wikipedia, forgive the alignment.

This is the all-time count of medals won in ice hockey at the Olympics, including both the men's and women's tournaments.

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total

1 Canada (CAN) 9 5 2 16

2 Soviet Union (URS) 7 1 1 9

3 United States (USA) 3 8 2 13

4 Sweden (SWE) 2 3 5 10

Now for cricket, who does have the best criket team most of the time? I don't know, but I'm willing to bet that they were once under British rule. (India or Australia would be my guesses).

As for the Canadian inventing basketball, so what? It flourished in America and so it became an "American" sport.

I don't think that Canada is the odds on favorite, Canadians do. I think that the Russians will end up with the gold, Canada silver, and Sweden bronze over Finland, USA 5th. It is the unusual amount of "homerism" that I find amusing with Canadians regarding their Olympic teams and their NHL teams as well. Example, the Wings-Sharks game highlights on TSN.ca were 45 seconds long, the Nucks-Flames were 2 minutes 45 seconds long. Now I know that the Canadian game had a few fights and a sniper during the game but I'm pretty sure that unless the Wings are playing another Canadian team I will have to rely on Yahoo! for real highlights of Wings games, but the Leafs-Anybody game will have ample highlights of missed passes and wristshot saves from the point. More examples, every game with a Canadian team had highlights over 2 minutes, every other game under 2 minutes and a couple under one minute. That includes the Caps game where 9 goals were scored.

I'm tired of typing. Just argue again and I'll respond when I'm ready.

I don't think I have met a Canadian who thinks we are the odds on fav. to win the Olympic gold. Juniors is a different story. Why do you think the weight of a nation is on Stevie Y's shoulders. It's expectations. Every big country expects to win. The Canadian media makes a huge deal out of it because it means so much to us and I don't know why that comes of as arrogance to you. Team USA is going for gold not for 5th place. Not as many people care about it in the States though so they won't get tons of coverage or a huge build up outside of the hockey community. We have confidence in our players. We hope they win but to think that most Canadians think we are the favorites is just nuts.

TSN is a Canadian channel. What else do you expect? I do agree with you though that it is annoying. The majority of Canadians are fans of Canadian teams so can you really blame them for showing longer highlights. I don't like it and sometimes I have to sit through some basketball just to get the Wing's highlights.

I just was saying that the Canadians are much more interested in their teams because they think that their teams are better BECAUSE they are Canadian. The Habs and the Leafs are the greatest teams of all time because Canadians say so. Bring up that neither have enjoyed recent successes and you are shouted down by the number of Cups and the goals and points and the Original Six and made for TV movies and the legends and yada yada yada...

Some may cling to past successes and won't admit any faults within their teams. And some, like a friend of mine, who hasn't lived in Toronto for 6-7 years but is still a rabid and passionate fan will freely and easily admit that his team is s***. He'd still rather watch the Leafs get their ass kicked than some other team playing magnificent hockey. For some hockey is religion, and whereas some like you say are fanatical, others, and I would say most, are quite pragmatic about it - it still boils down to that they'd rather watch THEIR team than any other.

I don't think I have met a Canadian who thinks we are the odds on fav. to win the Olympic gold. Juniors is a different story. Why do you think the weight of a nation is on Stevie Y's shoulders. It's expectations. Every big country expects to win. The Canadian media makes a huge deal out of it because it means so much to us and I don't know why that comes of as arrogance to you. Team USA is going for gold not for 5th place. Not as many people care about it in the States though so they won't get tons of coverage or a huge build up outside of the hockey community. We have confidence in our players. We hope they win but to think that most Canadians think we are the favorites is just nuts.

TSN is a Canadian channel. What else do you expect? I do agree with you though that it is annoying. The majority of Canadians are fans of Canadian teams so can you really blame them for showing longer highlights. I don't like it and sometimes I have to sit through some basketball just to get the Wing's highlights.

For the Olympics the pressure is definitely on Canada, no matter how much media, players etc. try to understate it. Home-ice, small rinks, dream-team. Impressive thing is that Canada is the team that is famous for not buckling under that kind of pressure. It's going to be a fun tournament.

Every Leaf fan will admit they are terrible. They love hockey and they are passionate about the Leaf's. Again yes they will admit they suck but they will always be the best in their hearts. It sounds cheesy but if the Wing's ever turn into the Leaf's again they will still be the best in my eyes.

Like SweWings said to some it's a religion. I'm one of them. Hockey is not a hobby to me. Besides family there really isn't anything else that seems as important.

Edited by zettie85

Every Leaf fan will admit they are terrible. They love hockey and they are passionate about the Leaf's. Again yes they will admit they suck but they will always be the best in their hearts. It sounds cheesy but if the Wing's ever turn into the Leaf's again they will still be the best in my eyes.

Like SweWings said to some it's a religion. I'm one of them. Hockey is not a hobby to me. Besides family there really isn't anything else that seems as important.

And hopefully we can all agree with this :).

. No, I cant prove you wrong,

Again, Maybe I am a bit over stated, but that's because I'm right, and no one has even begun to argue a single point I've made in either post. So far all I've gotten was a bunch of americans critiquing my spelling (one word) and over use of the caps button. Iv'e been called a sore loser (Which I'm not. I said, congrats to team USA, they've done nothing wrong, but like Germany beating "Team Canada" in the Spengler cup, it's not the REAL Team Canada). In 2006 Sweden won the Gold fair and square. we appointed the best GM we thought we had, and he put what he felt was the absolute Best Team Canada on the ice. No excuses, in 2006, Sweden was Better than Canada. With Guys like Naslund, Forsberg, Lidstrom, The Sedins, Franzen, Zetterberg, Homstrom etc. THe had Great players all playing in or around their prime. This year, I think you'll see the effects of not having Lidstrom, Franzen, Homlstrom, Forsberg, Naslund at the top of their games, or not having them at all.

These Americans on this board seem to be getting frustrated because they can't argue any of the Facts that I've said. When you get Frustrated in an online argument, and you've gotten crushed, there's really nothing left to do, but try to attack the person that's crushing you, as opposed to attacking the actual discussion at hand. I haven't said one negative word about anybody that's tried to dispute me, I just back my self up with facts. All you can do is pick out the Word I spelled wrong. It's probably a lot easier not to spell words wrong when all you're able to come back with are 1 line posts going after things that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Good on ya, USA....Good on ya

Edited by Tane

Again, Maybe I am a bit over stated, but that's because I'm right, and no one has even begun to argue a single point I've made in either post. So far all I've gotten was a bunch of americans critiquing my spelling (one word) and over use of the caps button. Iv'e been called a sore loser (Which I'm not. I said, congrats to team USA, they've done nothing wrong, but like Germany beating "Team Canada" in the Spengler cup, it's not the REAL Team Canada). In 2006 Sweden won the Gold fair and square. we appointed the best GM we thought we had, and he put what he felt was the absolute Best Team Canada on the ice. No excuses, in 2006, Sweden was Better than Canada. With Guys like Naslund, Forsberg, Lidstrom, The Sedins, Franzen, Zetterberg, Homstrom etc. THe had Great players all playing in or around their prime. This year, I think you'll see the effects of not having Lidstrom, Franzen, Homlstrom, Forsberg, Naslund at the top of their games, or not having them at all.

These Americans on this board seem to be getting frustrated because they can't argue any of the Facts that I've said. When you get Frustrated in an online argument, and you've gotten crushed, there's really nothing left to do, but try to attack the person that's crushing you, as opposed to attacking the actual discussion at hand. I haven't said one negative word about anybody that's tried to dispute me, I just back my self up with facts. All you can do is pick out the Word I spelled wrong. It's probably a lot easier not to spell words wrong when all you're able to come back with are 1 line posts going after things that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Good on ya, USA....Good on ya

I love stapler.