• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Miller Brew

Don Cherry pissed off

Rate this topic

I hope some of you Americans can see the point. Maybe that's the difference between us. Canadians are honorable people that if we beat someone and we knew they were down, we're not going to pat ourselves on the back and rub it in their faces. We'll feel almost guilty for taking on someone that wasn't at their best. Where as Americans will take it sing about it, and tell themselves that they're the best.

Those ever-humble, aww shucks Canadians versus those loud-mouthed scallywag Americans, eh? Nice stereotypes, pal. If you're mad about that post-game locker room cheer, you need to get a grip. It was just something they chant after they win -- which, regardless of the circumstances, they obviously did -- not some profound declaration on the state of international hockey between the United States and Canada. They'd have done it if they'd beaten anyone; heck, I bet even those good ol' Canadian boys might have let themselves enjoy it for a second if they'd gotten the win.

Guest lilja4mvp
Maybe you could explain why he is a senile old man. You sit there and insult him with out really explaining why.

So far you gave us the reason that he talks about soldiers to much. What an *******, eh?

what? i already explained the issue i had with his specific broadcast earlier in the thread and why he ends up looking like a total idiot. then someone said something about the troops and i mentioned that he needs to STFU about them.

jesus. you might want to sit the next play out if you're having trouble keeping up.

I hope some of you Americans can see the point. Maybe that's the difference between us. Canadians are honorable people that if we beat someone and we knew they were down, we're not going to pat ourselves on the back and rub it in their faces. We'll feel almost guilty for taking on someone that wasn't at their best. Where as Americans will take it sing about it, and tell themselves that they're the best.

are you serious with this s***? did you type this with a straight face? rvx1qg.gif

HA, I make a long, Intelligent Response that really Can't Be argued, And All I get is that I'm whining and a sore loser? Way to argue an actual developped thought with Facts to back it up with "you're a sore loser" Typical American not to let facts get in the way of how they feel.

1. I don't care that no Canadian team has won the Cup since 93. I'm a Wings fan, not a Canadian Hockey team Fan.

2. USA hasn't "Come the Furthest" If anything, USA's Dropped off the most, Drowning in Irrelevancy for years until just now in the past 4-5 years they're actually getting Talent again. In the Early - Mid 90's they were almost On par with Canada. Take away Gretzky and Lemieux, and I don't see that Much of a Difference in Canadian and American Hockey. Then You Dropped. No new Great Young Americans until Kessel/Kane/Stastny.....And it's a Bit too early to call them great yet.

3.Don Cherry played a Long Long Proffesional Career in the "Minor" leagues. He played with and against some of the All time Greats. It was a 6 team league back then. Imagine if the NHL was a 6 team League today. Guys like Hlem, Abdelkader, Cleary, Osgood, Howard, and some of your other Favorites wouldn't have even Sniffed the NHL. If the NHL in the 50's were a 30 team league, you're damn sure Cherry would have had a 20 year NHL career.....But again, don't let facts get in the way of your feelings.

4. The Whole A team/B team argument was Mine. Yeah, the entire Country gets up for this tournament as if it were life and death, but really, half our players.....the Better half of our players wern't there. To win with a team like that is cause for celebration, To lose once every 6 years and walk away with a Silver, meh, who cares. Canada Lost the Spengler Cup this year. Got knocked out by the Germans. Does that mean German Hockey is on the Rise, and canadians should be afraid? No, We don't send our Best players to the Spengler Cup, It's not a true representation of Canadian Hockey.

CAN ANYONE NAME THE PAST 6 WINNERS OF THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OFF THE TOP OF THEIR HEAD?????

No. Why not? Cause world Championship teams consist of the best players on teams that didn't make the playoffs that decide they want to paly another month or so of Hockey. If Canada won the World Championship, Or USA won it, would any one really care? You'll be proud of your boys, but really.....it's not true representations of each countries hockey. Now, Imagine the World Championship, or even the Olympics, where EAch Country got to send it's Best NHL players, Except Some Teams woulnd't release their players for the olympics. Crosby, Thornton, Brodeur, Luongo, Marleau, Iginla, Richards, Boyle wern't allowed to play.

Sure, Canada has enough talent to replace them, and Sure the Patch work Canadian Team might STILL Win the Gold, but if they don't, if someone beats them, be proud of your boys, but all I'm saying is.... Settle down....You didn't beat us at our best.

It's like going into a UFC fight, and the Other Guy has a Pulled Hamstring. If you beat him you beat him. You get the Win on your record, you get the winners Prize money, you get one step closer to a title, or even win a championship.....But really, you know.....you didn't beat the other guy at his best.

Go ahead, USA, You did nothing wrong by beating us, But if you want to sing about how you kicked our ******* asses, and brag about the Development of USA Hockey, You've got a Rude awakening come Olympic time.

I don't expect anyone to dispute my points again, for a second time. Because you really can't. So call me a whiner, call me a sore loser, but what you can't do, is you really can't prove me wrong.

Don't let my facts get in the way of your little celebration.

After reading all the crap you typed I am dumbfounded by your stupidity. I love how you feel you can speak for the entire country of Canada, and go as far as doing the same for the US. No, I cant prove you wrong, but I can call you a complete moron. That is a fact. If the situation was the other way around you don't think Canadians wouldn't be proud and brag about it? Of course they would, its human nature. Seriously man, get your facts straight. And if you feel the need to go on a forum and hate on someones country, please refrain from doing so. No one wants to hear it.

what? i already explained the issue i had with his specific broadcast earlier in the thread and why he ends up looking like a total idiot. then someone said something about the troops and i mentioned that he needs to STFU about them.

jesus. you might want to sit the next play out if you're having trouble keeping up.

Are you upset because he has a point?

Read this it makes sense:

I'm not a Cherry fan but you are blasting him because he said some of the American's are trained in Canada and that USA's hockey development shouldn't be praised for the win. USA hockey development(if you would have read in a previous post of mine) does deserve a ton of credit for what they have done with hockey over the last 15 years but to place this win at the climax of their resume is just bogus.

He may not speak the truth all the time but he has a point. The US had a great team but there have been better teams to wear the USA hockey crest that have lost at the juniors. 2007 shootout loss in the semis in my opinion is the best team the American's have ever put on the ice at the juniors. They didn't win so they don't get the credit like these kids do. It's not the development that won them the Gold this year. They played as a team and they blocked shots. 2 key ingredients to a championship team.

Edited by zettie85

I am going to laugh my ass off if the Russians win Gold in Vancouver!! That would make me so happy if Canada lost!!

Of course, the best would be if USA won, but I like Russia's chances more!!

Go anybody but Canada!!

I agree 100% with this. It's just great to see Canadian's lose at their own sport because they are so sure of their superiority. It's probably what the world feels when the USA loses at basketball or baseball.

But with Canadians it's much sweeter, since they are so overconfident and spewing statistics about how they are sure to win before a team like Sweden, Russia, or Czech beats them. They also have hugely entertaining excuses for weeks EDIT: years regarding the loss, and Don Cherry will hopefully lead the way... again.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

I agree 100% with this. It's just great to see Canadian's lose at their own sport because they are so sure of their superiority. It's probably what the world feels when the USA loses at basketball or baseball.

But with Canadians it's much sweeter, since they are so overconfident and spewing statistics about how they are sure to win before a team like Sweden, Russia, or Czech beats them. They also have hugely entertaining excuses for weeks EDIT: years regarding the loss, and Don Cherry will hopefully lead the way... again.

It's kinda pathetic that other countries have to hope we lose all the time because we are a dominant country. Second is always better then not even participating.....Germany.

But with Canadians it's much sweeter, since they are so overconfident and spewing statistics about how they are sure to win before a team like Sweden, Russia, or Czech beats them.

Uh, what? Did you watch ANY of the 2006 Olympics? I don't know of a single person here 'spewing statistics' after how those games turned out. In fact, the statistics don't suggest ANY kind of Canadian 'dominance' in Olympic hockey - you can check the historical medal count for yourself. There's maybe some confidence brought on by the home field advantage and obviously getting a medal is expected, but you've got some pretty strange sources if you think anyone is rationally coronating Canada the gold out of hand - I for one haven't taken it for granted since 1998. The Canada-bashing with regard to olympic hockey is based off a 'dominance' that dosen't actually exist, it's always been a far more even playing field then you're caring to admit.

In any case, the comparison to the US and basketball isn't accurate. There are a decent handful of countries with strong, legitimate hockey legacies. Olympic basketball is one of the most ridiculously unbalanced events in the Games (now probably THE most unbalanced event now with baseball being scratched).

Edited by Cern

It's kinda pathetic that other countries have to hope we lose all the time because we are a dominant country. Second is always better then not even participating.....Germany.

Meh. It's still funny.

Canada is the dominant country in regards to hockey. You invented the sport, your players are the historic names of the sport, your country goes the most Olympic hockey crazy. Plus, YOU ARE HOSTING, so the idea that you could win gold on your home soil has 99% of Canadian males fully erect. And I am an American stationed in Germany, if I was a fan of German hockey I would have killed myself long ago.

In any case, the comparison to the US and basketball isn't accurate. There are a decent handful of countries with strong, legitimate hockey legacies. Olympic basketball is one of the most ridiculously unbalanced events in the Games (now probably THE most unbalanced event now with baseball being scratched).

It is accurate. As I mentioned above, Canada is the world hockey capital. The US is the world basketball and baseball capital. However, Canada doesn't always win the gold in hockey, and the US doesn't always win the gold in basketball and baseball. Argentina and some European countries are good at basketball and have the ability to win gold. And Puerto Rico, Japan, Mexico, Cuba, Columbia, and even Canada can beat the USA in baseball. But the truth is that some countries will always be favorites, especially the countries that invented the sport and where it is most popular in culture. You know why Norway is so good at skiing? Because kids in Norway start skiing pretty much the day they start walking. It's the same with hockey in Canada and baseball in America. It's part of who we are. And when the country with the most deeply rooted tradition of the sport loses it is ironic. And when Canada loses in hockey it is entertaining because of the ensuing butt-hurtedness and excuses that follow.

And I like seeing Crosby cry.

End rant.

Cherry goes overboard sometimes. Okay, often. Still, I agree with him here.

Also, I get a kick out of children calling adults they've never met names like "*******". Takes me back to middle school.

If it looks like an *******, acts like an ******* and sounds like an *******, then it must be an *******......

I'M RIGHT AND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU ARE JUST BEING DEFENSIVE. MY COUNTRY IS BETTER THAN YOURS. LOUD NOISES!!!!!!

way to lose an argument and look bad in the process, ouch.

You know it!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Guest micah

The quote you were responding to asked you to explain how you determined cherry to be senile.

If you wanted to answer the question instead of just troll, you would have given examples of his rational behavior as a younger man and as a middle=ager, and contrasted them with recent examples of nonsence. Instead, you're argument for Cherry's senility seems to be "He's older than me and I don't agree with him - so he's senile!!"

At the Olympics all of the top teams are pretty equal. Why is it so hard for those teams to ice really competitive junior teams?

Junior sports aren't that big in Europe, not nearly on the same level as in the US or Canada. Phenomenon like college basketball or football don't exist. Junior sport is the realm of parents and diehards, at least in Sweden. When there's a big championship like the Worlds or maybe some kind of national final then more people watch but otherwise it's not really that relevant.

It is accurate. As I mentioned above, Canada is the world hockey capital. The US is the world basketball and baseball capital. However, Canada doesn't always win the gold in hockey, and the US doesn't always win the gold in basketball and baseball. Argentina and some European countries are good at basketball and have the ability to win gold.

No, it isn't. The US has been out of the medal count one time in the history of basketball being played in the Olympics (that was 1980, when they didn't even attend), and has won gold four of the last five games. Canada has won the gold in hockey a whopping two times in over 50 years.

Seriously, do you bother actually LOOKING at the evidence before you start making arguments? The statistical facts completely undermine everything you're saying.

But the truth is that some countries will always be favorites, especially the countries that invented the sport and where it is most popular in culture.

There are as many examples of that being untrue as there is of that being the case. England invented cricket yet has a terrible national team. Same with soccer, yet England is terrible in international play. A Canadian invented basketball, yet Canada is largely irrelevant when it comes to the sport - certainly not 'dominant' by any stretch of the imagination.

Not to say that Canada isn't a contender for gold at the Olympics, but saying they're the odds-on favourite to win it because they happened to invent hockey is ridiculously misguided.

Edited by Cern