• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CenterIce

Franzen back March 1st at the latest

Rate this topic

Holland said forward Johan Franzen will be back in the lineup March 1 at Colorado, the first game following the Olympic break, at the latest.

“Will he play earlier than that? We’ll see,’’ Holland said. “But that gives him 20 or 21 games (to prepare for the playoffs). We’ll have him back for a quarter of the season.’’

Holland said it makes no sense to have Franzen play one or two games before the two-week Olympic break. So unless he’s able to play several games before the break, they likely will hold him out until March 1.

And if he is cleared to play before the Olympics, Holland said the club would not prevent him from playing for Sweden, should be he selected to replace an injured player.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...ngs_niklas.html

“But that gives him 20 or 21 games (to prepare for the playoffs). We’ll have him back for a quarter of the season.’’

Sounds like their is no question in Holland's mind that Wings won't make the playoffs.

if he does play in the olympics how do you guys feel about it? on one hand it will go a long way to getting him game ready when he does make it back, so at least he will be in game shape for march 1st instead of having to get his legs back while the wings are fighting for playoff position. yet on the other hand, is the extra rest more valuable? while i am sure he won't play unless doctors say he is ready, there still are lots of instances where players rushed back and end up having setbacks.

i am sure he would love to play for his country and help them win gold, but as far as the wings are concerned, which way do you think is best?

“But that gives him 20 or 21 games (to prepare for the playoffs). We’ll have him back for a quarter of the season.’’

Sounds like their is no question in Holland's mind that Wings won't make the playoffs.

Basically same reply I was going to have. Love the confidence.

I saw him at practice on Monday. He looks great. I think at this point it's just being cautious. No need to push him back at this point. As long as they are staying in contention. Also, saw Lilja and Williams on the ice skating full speed, participating in drills. Nice to see Lilja on the ice. Wish he could come back soon. If ever.

if he does play in the olympics how do you guys feel about it? on one hand it will go a long way to getting him game ready when he does make it back, so at least he will be in game shape for march 1st instead of having to get his legs back while the wings are fighting for playoff position. yet on the other hand, is the extra rest more valuable? while i am sure he won't play unless doctors say he is ready, there still are lots of instances where players rushed back and end up having setbacks.

i am sure he would love to play for his country and help them win gold, but as far as the wings are concerned, which way do you think is best?

From what I have heard Olympic rosters are set in stone right now and the only way Franzen could play for Sweden (assuming he'd be ready by then) would be as a replacement to an injured current member of their roster.

Although that sounds unlikely fo rmsot rosters, keep in mind Peter Forsberg is currently on the Swedish roster.

Great news, although I'll still believe it when I see it. The injury he had is one that takes a long time to heal.

I hope he doesn't play in the Olympics. We need him healthy for a playoff push, not so Sweden could win another Gold Medal, which they probably won't do anyway.

The Wings pay his checks and not Sweden. That's why he left Sweden to come here.

I saw him at practice on Monday. He looks great. I think at this point it's just being cautious. No need to push him back at this point. As long as they are staying in contention. Also, saw Lilja and Williams on the ice skating full speed, participating in drills. Nice to see Lilja on the ice. Wish he could come back soon. If ever.

I'm still holding out hope that Lilja will be back. The logical part of me feels that he's probably done...but the hockey fan in me wants to see him out on the ice blocking shots and frustrating the opposition some more.

I'm still holding out hope that Lilja will be back. The logical part of me feels that he's probably done...but the hockey fan in me wants to see him out on the ice blocking shots and frustrating the opposition some more.

its funny..i can remember when alot of us use to talk about lilja like we are doing now about lebda. =) not saying anything. i wish we did have him back but itds just funny how you miss someone when they are gone.....not sure if that would ever happen with lebda. hahahaha

its funny..i can remember when alot of us use to talk about lilja like we are doing now about lebda. =) not saying anything. i wish we did have him back but itds just funny how you miss someone when they are gone.....not sure if that would ever happen with lebda. hahahaha

That is true, but in all fairness, most of the posters on this board acknowledged that Lilja's play had improved before he got injured. It's not like he was being bashed like Lebda right up until the point he got injured. Most of the Lilja bashing started in the Edmonton series in 2006 and continued up until some time during the '08 playoffs where he really established himself as a great PK guy and shot blocker. By the time the second half of the '09 season started, a lot of the Lilja bashers (myself included) had finished eating their crow.

The difference between Lebda and Lilja is this:

Lilja has always been a solid defender who sometimes made glaring mistakes. Usually he would make up for them later int he same game. Over the years Lilja's mistakes have grown smaller and his value (blocking shots, etc.) have increased.

Lebda was always fast and started out as a pretty promising young defenseman. Over the years his mistakes have become more careless, more obvious, and more disastrous while his value on this team (his speed) has all but disappeared as he finds himself in the wrong places all the time.

In my opinion, anyway.

I can't wait for Franzen to come back. Of all the injuries this year, he's the one that hurt us the most. He's the most reliable scorer on this team the last 3 (well, two since he's been out all but what, three games this season) seasons. He started off on a tear. With him on this roster a lot of those games we lost we would've won and a lot of those games we got shut out we would have scored at least one.

I think he's a catalyst for this team, and his injury this year really shows how good he's become.

Kronwall is valuable too, and a good replacement for Lidstrom in two years, but I think Franzen is the key to winning this season. If he's healthy, the Wings can win the Cup. If he's injured again...

From what I have heard Olympic rosters are set in stone right now and the only way Franzen could play for Sweden (assuming he'd be ready by then) would be as a replacement to an injured current member of their roster.

Although that sounds unlikely fo rmsot rosters, keep in mind Peter Forsberg is currently on the Swedish roster.

In that case, you'll never guess which player on the Swedish roster is currently injured.

Or maybe that they just won't last long in the playoffs.

That would be awesome if he was healthy enough to play in the Olympics. Let Sweden get him into game shape for us. If that happens, he should be ready to rock after the Olympics. *crosses fingers*

God I miss seeing that guy barreling towards the net.

Edited by Broken 16

That would be awesome if he was healthy enough to play in the Olympics. Let Sweden get him into game shape for us. If that happens, he should be ready to rock after the Olympics. *crosses fingers*

God I miss seeing that guy barreling towards the net.

You and me both!!