• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Kovalchuk traded to New Jersey

Rate this topic

We have 0 cap space. If Franzen and Lilja don't come back this season we have accrued a million in cap space, which translates to a 3 million dollar player at the deadline. Franzen and Lilja are coming back. We have 0 cap space.

When it comes to matters of the cap, I'm right everytime 60% of the time. But really, I'm pretty sure that's how it is.

Correct -- cap tracking websites show that surplus cap space (where these reporters are getting that figure from, I'm sure) only because Franzen and Lilja have not come back yet -- once they do, it's all gone.

Correct -- cap tracking websites show that surplus cap space (where these reporters are getting that figure from, I'm sure) only because Franzen and Lilja have not come back yet -- once they do, it's all gone.

But with names like Filppula and Kronwall thrown around that takes up 6 million of Kovy's contract only leaving 300andsomechange left to cover.

The only reason why they brought in Williams was for a right handed shot, no? Don't need that with Kovalchuk on the team. See if someone would take the bait on Williams, don't think anyone would, but a possible three team trade? That's another 1.5 and you could then bring Abdlekader back up.

But with names like Filppula and Kronwall thrown around that takes up 6 million of Kovy's contract only leaving 300andsomechange left to cover.

The only reason why they brought in Williams was for a right handed shot, no? Don't need that with Kovalchuk on the team. See if someone would take the bait on Williams, don't think anyone would, but a possible three team trade? That's another 1.5 and you could then bring Abdlekader back up.

I was about to post a similar comment to this, before I read your post.

I don't see how he would strictly be a 'rental' player if Filpulla and Kronwall are moved in exchange for him. Even if Filpulla was moved he could be signed in the off-season with breathing room under the cap (provided Lidstrom takes a marginal pay cut). As long as Kovalchuk would be back next year, I would have no problem giving up Filpulla and Kronwall, plus a prospect/pick.

My proposal:

To ATL: Filppula ($3M), Williams ($1.5M), Leino ($800K), Ericsson ($900k)

To DET: Kovalchuk ($6.4M)

Edit: Waived--Brad May, Brett Lebda or Derek Meech.

Alot to give up. Alot. But......with Lilja coming back, you are replacing Ericsson, who is a UFA after next season, anyway. Williams is fodder.....but as a UFA, he just fills a role for ATL this year. Atlanta gets some young talent in Filppula and Leino.

The Wings clear some cap space (it HAS to be done before next season) and instantly become a major factor in the West again. You certainly sacrifice some defensive depth, but man, the forwards would be amazing.

Lines:

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Holmstrom-Abdelkader-Miller

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Lilja-Meech/Lebda

Howard

Osgood

Edited by RedWingAbner

I was about to post a similar comment to this, before I read your post.

I don't see how he would strictly be a 'rental' player if Filpulla and Kronwall are moved in exchange for him. Even if Filpulla was moved he could be signed in the off-season with breathing room under the cap (provided Lidstrom takes a marginal pay cut). As long as Kovalchuk would be back next year, I would have no problem giving up Filpulla and Kronwall, plus a prospect/pick.

Take it away Bob:

"Keep in mind he is a rental. At this point, Waddell is not going to allow teams to talk to Kovalchuk or his agent about a long-term contract extension because to do so would put the power into the hands of the player and his agent. It's true that a team might be willing to give the Thrashers more to acquire Kovalchuk if they knew they could sign him long term, but that would also put Waddell over a barrel to accept whatever that one team and one team only is offering. And he won't allow that to happen."

...and that's the problem. There is no guarantee. It's a lot to give up if he decides the pastures are greener elsewhere.

If we could talk extention with Kovy now... and if Lidstrom would talk extension now instead of after the playoffs. I might be willing to accept it too.

...but these are gaping holes to fill if Flip and Kronner are gone. Kovy doesn't re-sign. Lidstrom retires.

...and that's the problem. There is no guarantee. It's a lot to give up if he decides the pastures are greener elsewhere.

If we could talk extention with Kovy now... and if Lidstrom would talk extension now instead of after the playoffs. I might be willing to accept it too.

...but these are gaping holes to fill if Flip and Kronner are gone. Kovy doesn't re-sign. Lidstrom retires.

I agree, and I had seen that article, there are definitely risks involved. Usually, Holland isn't much of a risk taker either, but I wouldn't throw away all chances that he may pull the trigger on this one.

My proposal:

Alot to give up. Alot. But......with Lilja coming back, you are replacing Ericsson, who is a UFA after next season, anyway. Williams is fodder.....but as a UFA, he just fills a role for ATL this year. Atlanta gets some young talent in Filppula and Leino.

The Wings clear some cap space (it HAS to be done before next season) and instantly become a major factor in the West again. You certainly sacrifice some defensive depth, but man, the forwards would be amazing.

Lines:

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Lilja-Meech/Lebda

Howard

Osgood

I'm sure that'd be at least 1 million over the cap. The only feasible way Detroit can get Kovalchuk and fitting him, Lilja and Mule under the cap is by trading Kronwall and Flip and Williams and [insert player here].

My proposal:

This would certainly be easier to swallow than losing Flip and Kronwall, but I'm unsure that Waddell would take it with some of the other offers that will be on the table.

Take it away Bob:

"Keep in mind he is a rental. At this point, Waddell is not going to allow teams to talk to Kovalchuk or his agent about a long-term contract extension because to do so would put the power into the hands of the player and his agent. It's true that a team might be willing to give the Thrashers more to acquire Kovalchuk if they knew they could sign him long term, but that would also put Waddell over a barrel to accept whatever that one team and one team only is offering. And he won't allow that to happen."

Maybe Datsyuk can give Kovy some Detroit Kool-Aid in Vancouver. The best part is Datsyuk can woo Kovy in Russian, he doesn't even have to attempt to speak English.

Edited by dallas27

My proposal:

Lines:

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Lilja-Meech/Lebda

Howard

Osgood

Not even close to enough going to Atlanta.

Not even close to enough going to Atlanta.

I agree.

Flip is a good piece, but Flip as the only proven commodity in the bunch is not enough to make this happen.

Williams can help for their playoff run this year, but he's certainly not the kind of talented forward that Atlanta is looking for.

Ericcson: Certainly a top defensive prospect and doing just swell for his rookie season, however not quite a top 4 defenseman.

Leino: If this the suggestion you're making for top prospect that Waddell is asking for... hmm. Succinctly, Leino is a big question mark.

You know it. I know it. Waddell knows it. Not what Atlanta is looking for.

I agree.

Flip is a good piece, but Flip as the only proven commodity in the bunch is not enough to make this happen.

Williams can help for their playoff run this year, but he's certainly not the kind of talented forward that Atlanta is looking for.

Ericcson: Certainly a top defensive prospect and doing just swell for his rookie season, however not quite a top 4 defenseman.

Leino: If this the suggestion you're making for top prospect that Waddell is asking for... hmm. Succinctly, Leino is a big question mark.

You know it. I know it. Waddell knows it. Not what Atlanta is looking for.

I don't

A top 6 forward and a top 4 dman + a top prospect is what Wadell is asking to start but it s not what he ll receive. It s always like that in negociations. You set up a high starting price and then you lower your expectations. You ll be surprised for what Kovie will be traded and you will say: " holy crap! we could have got him"

It s always like that in negociations. You set up a high starting price and then you lower your expectations.

I understand how negotiations work, but I believe there will be a better offer out there than Flip, JWill, Leino, + Ericsson.

You ll be surprised for what Kovie will be traded and you will say: " holy crap! we could have got him"

Maybe I'll be surprised. Maybe I won't be.

I'll certainly say "coulda, woulda, shoulda" if I am.

wow he f***in denied 70 mil for 7 years and 101 mil for 12 years. what the f*** is he after

I'm not sure about this myself. Either he wants to be the higest paid athlete in the NHL or he wants to be on a contender. Or maybe both.

I don't

A top 6 forward and a top 4 dman + a top prospect is what Wadell is asking to start but it s not what he ll receive. It s always like that in negociations. You set up a high starting price and then you lower your expectations. You ll be surprised for what Kovie will be traded and you will say: " holy crap! we could have got him"

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not sure about this myself. Either he wants to be the higest paid athlete in the NHL or he wants to be on a contender. Or maybe both.

Only one thing is absolutely clear based on this information: he absolutely doesn't want to play for Atlanta next season.

Everything past that is pure speculation.

Fil, Will, Ville and Rafalski

for

Kovalchuk and Afinogenov

Too much, eh? And yes, I know about his NTC. Does he want to play in Atlanta or Grand Rapids?

For Atlanta, that's a complete forward line that works to just plug in. And an elite quarterback #1-2 Dman for 2 years. 11.3 million though might be a tad too much. Then again they were gonna pay Ilya 8 mil or so anyway. Might need a second trade to offload Rafalski for assets then use them to aquire the Atlanta package. I just know I'm not interested in losing both Flip and Kronwall. Ericsson neither.

Fil, Will, Ville and Rafalski

for

Kovalchuk and Afinogenov

Too much, eh?

Fixed.

And yes, I know about his NTC. Does he want to play in Atlanta or Grand Rapids?

First. Really, you're going to punish a guy for not waiving his NTC?? That'll do wonders for bringing in future players.

Second. Really??? You're going to let a top-4 defenseman languish in the AHL??? :rolleyes:

For Atlanta, that's a complete forward line that works to just plug in. And an elite quarterback #1-2 Dman for 2 years.

This is true, but I still don't think Rafalski is going to waive his NTC to go to Atlanta.

I just know I'm not interested in losing both Flip and Kronwall. Ericsson neither.

This. I agree with.

Edited by e_prime

I think Flip, Kronwall and a high prospect would get it done in a heartbeat. I don't think Holland wants to part with Kronwall unless he has different plans for his defence.

IMO Lidstrom will be done either this year or next and Holland will need Kronwall to kind of take over as the leader of the defence.

Ericsson isn't enough to get that deal done nor does he make enough money to make it work.