• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Howard He Do It?!

Pre-Olympic Trade Deadline Talk

Rate this topic

What is up with all of these proposals involving Flip. It would be stupid for the Wings to get rid of him!

Heres the rationale:

Flip represents the best, most replaceable, most movable asset on Detroit's roster right now. No way the Wings move Franzen/Z/Dats/Lids/Rafi/Kronner and most everyone else wouldn't give Detroit the same return Flip would. His cap hit is decent as compared to his production and hes still young. Hence why hes the best trade bait the Wings have for a decent return.

Edited by Shaman464

People don't know what they got - I did the research the other day - for guys in his salary bracket, very few have a better point per game, or +/-, are as defensively responsible, etc... and almost ALL of them have already peaked... he hasn't...

to trade Flip would be the trade that we all lement in 3 years...

I agree, and from your research, Flip was one of if not the youngest of the bunch. I've said that Filppula is a lesser form of Zetterberg. I doubt he will one day be as good as Zetterberg. Frankly, he is a very solid two way SECOND line centreman that still has room for growth and improvement.

Heres the rational:

Flip represents the best, most replaceable, most movable asset on Detroit's roster right now. No way the Wings move Franzen/Z/Dats/Lids/Rafi/Kronner and most everyone else wouldn't give Detroit the same return Flip would. His cap hit is decent as compared to his production and hes still young. Hence why hes the best trade bait the Wings have for a decent return.

How do you replace Flip with ONE player. Please enlighten me. A solid, young two way centreman that is locked up for the next few years. I agree with Flip having great trade value but that is no reason to get rid of him.

Edited by superstarsingh

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Kronner is going to be on NHL Live coming up. So we'll find out if it's him or not soon.

He's skating at practice. I'd be surprised if it was him now.

What is up with all of these proposals involving Flip. It would be stupid for the Wings to get rid of him!

Not if they get someone better in return. You have to give something of value to get something in return, and out of our big guns (Franzen, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Datsyuk), Flip is the most likely to be traded if the Wings want to get another big name. Not saying he will be, but that he'd be most likely. That's why so many rumors involve him.

How do you replace Flip with ONE player. Please enlighten me. A solid, young two way centreman that is locked up for the next few years. I agree with Flip having great trade value but there is no reason to get rid of him.

Easy, as of right now, split up Zetterberg and Datsyuk and all of the sudden Flips value drops dramatically for Detroit, he loses the talent around him he needs to be a true offensive threat, and if he plays wing on either of those lines his defensive abilities are not as important, as the center has the most defensive responsibility on any line. The only way he is worth all 3 million of his contract is when hes a 2nd line center.

He's skating at practice. I'd be surprised if it was him now.

I didnt think it was going to be him to begin with.

It doesnt make sense for it to be him, Dats or Flip unless there is another trade in the works and we're trying to pick up someone else. Any of those 3 players is way more than we needed for Lilja so there's no need to send down May.

Easy, as of right now, split up Zetterberg and Datsyuk and all of the sudden Flips value drops dramatically for Detroit, he loses the talent around him he needs to be a true offensive threat, and if he plays wing on either of those lines his defensive abilities are not as important, as the center has the most defensive responsibility on any line. The only way he is worth all 3 million of his contract is when hes a 2nd line center.

Which is why Zetterberg and Datsyuk should remain together with Homer. Flip should be the second line centre with say Franzen and Cleary on his wings.

Which is why Zetterberg and Datsyuk should remain together with Homer. Flip should be the second line centre with say Franzen and Cleary on his wings.

No way. It shouldn't happen and it won't. Babcock has reaffirmed that again and again and said last night after the game that they were being split up moving forward. You don't take two of the best 2-way centers in the game and put them on the same line. It's a stupid move. You really want Flip passing to Franzen over someone like Zetterberg or Datsyuk??? Who will maximizes Franzen's goal-scoring potential, Flip or Dats/Z? It's a very, very obvious answer...

Guest Howard He Do It?!
i bet you its eaves on LTIR (if it happens)... the article said he wouldn't be back until after the olympic break...that would make sense.

This would have to be coupled with another move because May salary + Eaves salary doesn't free up enough for Lilja to return.

And our #1 issue is goals. Flip is not a goal scorer and we're already deep with 2-way forwards, especially at center. If they move him for a more natural goal scorer, it will be a good move for the Wings.

Exactly... he's a playmaker... and goal scorers aren't very good without playmakers... ask Cheechoo without Thornton...

He's also a DAMN good playmaker and a great 2 way forward...

i bet you its eaves on LTIR (if it happens)... the article said he wouldn't be back until after the olympic break...that would make sense.

But May + Eaves on LTI wouldn't be enough to make room for Lilja...

Its a horrible idea to keep them together, I will say this again

the #1 reason why Detroit isn't scoring is because our offensive threats are too concentrated on the first line and to a lesser extent the second. When as an opposing coach I set my matchups with Detroit its too easy to decide where to put my best Defensemen and my best shut down players. They can shutdown Detroit two best offensive players then not have to sweat too much of a 2nd/3rd line scoring threat. Breaking up Dats and Z forces the opposition to make a choice, do I focus on one or the other? and when they do that one, one of the two all of the sudden has a lot more room to make stuff happen. Hence why its better to split them up. What Detroit needs is one more big Goal scoring threat. I keep saying we should look at Rostislav Olesz, he reminds me a lot of Franzen, hes a big body with good hands.

No way. It shouldn't happen and it won't. Babcock has reaffirmed that again and again and said last night after the game that they were being split up moving forward. You don't take two of the best 2-way centers in the game and put them on the same line. It's a stupid move. You really want Flip passing to Franzen over someone like Zetterberg or Datsyuk??? Who will maximizes Franzen's goal-scoring potential, Flip or Dats/Z? It's a very, very obvious answer...

like I've said before, I really think Babs stumbled onto something a few games ago when he had:

Filppula-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi on a line... they looked great together

Filppula-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary/Holmstrom

those maximize everyone's strength's(and minimize their weaknesses) and I really think would make good lines....

Let's say it is Eaves, since we've heard little to nothing about him since word that he'd be out until after the Olympics.

One thing that we're overlooking is that Lebda is still, in all likelihood, on his way out.

Exactly... he's a playmaker... and goal scorers aren't very good without playmakers... ask Cheechoo without Thornton...

He's also a DAMN good playmaker and a great 2 way forward...

Damn good? No way. Not even close. Go watch the replays on all of his assists. Seriously. A lot of assists does not make him a play-maker. Igor Larionov: DAMN good play-maker. Flip: average at best.

This would have to be coupled with another move because May salary + Eaves salary doesn't free up enough for Lilja to return.

True, but maybe they are going to move Lebda for some picks... that would cover it, right:

Eaves on LTIR+May waived+Lebda trade?