• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crabcakes'n'redwings

Brad May clears waivers

Rate this topic

You tell me in 2006 that Chechoo would be put on waivers in three years, I would have laughed in your face. That guy used to be deadly.

50+ goal scorer!!

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest micah

Thanks for being one of only a few in recent history willing to routinely invite tough guys to fight you for the good of the team, May. That takes balls and I for one appreciate it. Sadly, this team just isn't good enough to have a guy like you on it at this time of year. I hope it doesn't bite them, and I hope your example inspires the rest of the wings through the rest of the season and hopefull, playoffs. Here's hoping you get to raise that Cup again.

That sucks.

Having a tough guy in the lineup that occasionaly fights has been one of the few bright spots this season from an entertainment standpoint.

I hope Holland will continue that mindset and go after a younger enforcer in the offseason. I don't see May playing another season anyway.

Guest micah
Feel that may be the end of May in the NHL. One of the NHL's last true warriors is being put out to pasture a bit too soon I feel.

Without a doubt, but even if he's played his last game, he's had a remarkable career. 18 years in this league is impressive, 18 years playing the game he plays is nothing short of amazing. He's hoisted the stanley cup, he was part of one of the most entertaining teams ever in Buffalo, and then again in Anneheim, he logged over 300 PIM in a reg. season (in which he only played 69 games), he put up 45 points one year, he had a good run.

Wow, Cheechoo on waivers? I apparently haven't been paying enough attention to Ottawa this season. Has he really been that bad? He used to be a star in this league have Joe Thornton as his centre.

Fixed that for you :) As John Buccigross has been saying for years, Thornton makes his wingers rich.

Fixed that for you :) As John Buccigross has been saying for years, Thornton makes his wingers rich.

agreed Thornton is probably the best center in the league, in terms on making his wingers better. Not Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, or sadly even Datysuk.

First Cheechoo, then Setoguchi (he was lighting it up then when demoted to the 2nd line he was a nobody), and now Marleau (although he did has skill before)

edi: going back to Boston, there was Samsonov, Guerin, and Murray who he made better, but when he left all thier career went to s***.

Edited by Datsyuk2Zetterberg

Too bad Ken Holland sat back again. To me, this is just taking the easy way out instead of getting creative and improving the team.

Please, explain. What do you mean by creative? The Salary Cap, especially when you are right at it, makes it difficult to make deals. You have to have a dollar for dollar move. You also have to be compliant for future years. Finally, this team does not have to be gutted. We knew going into this season it would be a little rough, because younger guys would be up sooner than normal for the Wings, because of the cap. They would have their growing pains. Too many people were so high on Ericsson, Helm, and Leino and down on Howard, because of short bodies of work. Now, that they have had more playing time, and they have gone through the full season grind, everyone has switched their opinions. The injuries compounded everything. This is new to everyone in Hockeytown, because we are used to winning, but get used to the new NHL. This is what we have to deal with. You can't have a team like 2002 anymore.

Please, explain. What do you mean by creative? The Salary Cap, especially when you are right at it, makes it difficult to make deals. You have to have a dollar for dollar move. You also have to be compliant for future years. Finally, this team does not have to be gutted. We knew going into this season it would be a little rough, because younger guys would be up sooner than normal for the Wings, because of the cap. They would have their growing pains. Too many people were so high on Ericsson, Helm, and Leino and down on Howard, because of short bodies of work. Now, that they have had more playing time, and they have gone through the full season grind, everyone has switched their opinions. The injuries compounded everything. This is new to everyone in Hockeytown, because we are used to winning, but get used to the new NHL. This is what we have to deal with. You can't have a team like 2002 anymore.

Yes, you have to make dollar-for-dollar moves.....or.....make multiple moves to make your 9th-place, cap-max team a little bit better. Going into next season, what is he gonna do---- say "we can't do anything, we're at the cap" or make moves to improve the situation? I am going to lean toward the latter. Holland has grown complacent lately-- if we aren't bringing back a reclamation project (Bertuzzi, Williams-- and I am pleased with Bertuzzi's play) it's just sit back and do the bare minimum.

At some point, you have to look at it and say, "well, I like these players....but it isn't working out. I might actually have to make a significant player trade." When was the last time the Red Wings did that? Stuart was picked up for draft picks...in 2008. When was the last time a decent contributor was dealt for a decent contributor? Would that be Jason Williams for Kyle Calder (and I know its a strech to call Calder a decent contributor).....but good God. Make a move, Holland.

Edited by RedWingAbner

Guest micah
I don't get it. Why are people talking about him as if he's going to retire? He can't come back for the playoffs?

He can come back for the playoffs but unless something awful happens to a few someones, there's no way he plays. All the regular forwards will hopefully be ready to go, plus Abdlekader.

if may clears waivers (i think he will) would they bring him up for the playoffs?..could he add a spark? he wouldn't do much but fight. cheechoo is slow and he sucks ass. he was a fan favorite in san jose because girls liked his name, and he was being fed by big joe. he won't ever be good again. when he went to the sens i predicted his failure (on this forum)...most people disagreed...i just watched his sorry ass struggle too much in san joser.

Edited by soultrain

Yes, you have to make dollar-for-dollar moves.....or.....make multiple moves to make your 9th-place, cap-max team a little bit better. Going into next season, what is he gonna do---- say "we can't do anything, we're at the cap" or make moves to improve the situation? I am going to lean toward the latter. Holland has grown complacent lately-- if we aren't bringing back a reclamation project (Bertuzzi, Williams-- and I am pleased with Bertuzzi's play) it's just sit back and do the bare minimum.

At some point, you have to look at it and say, "well, I like these players....but it isn't working out. I might actually have to make a significant player trade." When was the last time the Red Wings did that? Stuart was picked up for draft picks...in 2008. When was the last time a decent contributor was dealt for a decent contributor? Would that be Jason Williams for Kyle Calder (and I know its a strech to call Calder a decent contributor).....but good God. Make a move, Holland.

All right. If you were GM, who would you trade for whom?

I liked him as a person, but he just isn't a great option right now for this team.

We need a real enforcer that can actually skate, shoot, punch and check. Brad May did what he could, but his time has passed.