• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shaman

Should Valtteri Filppula be traded?

Rate this topic

Should Flip be traded?  

341 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, I figured that was a mistake. The only problem I have with Booth is that some of his hair is still frozen in the ice from when he got flattened last fall. Besides that, I agree that we are deep in the middle and Filppula would be good bait for a scoring winger. I also feel that Draper/Miller/Maltby is a solid line. For all the crap Maltby takes in this forum I think he is still a good grinding 4th liner and he is still a very effective PK'er. I for one would welcome him back for his experience and teaching opportunity if Miller and Eaves stick around.

Good call >_<

It's not like me to forget ole' Danny boy either

Make that bottom 6

Cleary/Helm/Eaves

Draper/Miller/Maltby

You get the idea though, it was the top 6 I had in mind ;)

Booth-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Cleary-Helm-Eaves

Miller-Draper-Maltby

I'd be ok with that...

And HERE'S where I feel like people can't see the forest for all the trees, or something.

Look at that bottom six. I love Helm and Eaves. But they are 4th line players. GREAT 4th line players, so good that some people think they're 3rd line players. Obviously it goes without saying that Miller, Draper and Malts are also 4th line players.

See the problem? FIVE 4th liners in the bottom six.

Compare that to last year when we had Samuelsson-Filppula-Hudler on the 3rd line. SCORING DEPTH. Ever heard of it? Why should we trade away Filppula, one of the few skilled guys we have left on the team after last offseason, and play with two 4th lines? And it's not like trading Fil will land us a huge name like Kovalchuk who can win games singlehandedly. Going for scoring depth is what we should be doing.

I like what Miller has done for us. I respect the career Maltby has had. But I wouldn't hesitate for a second if we could move them, together with something like Lebda/Meech+picks and get a REAL 3rd line scorer. Split up Hank and Pav, let Fil center the 3rd line. Playoffs here we come. Maybe.

Edited by dat's sick

And HERE'S where I feel like people can't see the forest for all the trees, or something.

Look at that bottom six. I love Helm and Eaves. But they are 4th line players. GREAT 4th line players, so good that some people think they're 3rd line players. Obviously it goes without saying that Miller, Draper and Malts are also 4th line players.

See the problem? FIVE 4th liners in the bottom six.

Compare that to last year when we had Samuelsson-Filppula-Hudler on the 3rd line. SCORING DEPTH. Ever heard of it? Why should we trade away Filppula, one of the few skilled guys we have left on the team after last offseason, and play with two 4th lines? And it's not like trading Fil will land us a huge name like Kovalchuk who can win games singlehandedly. Going for scoring depth is what we should be doing.

I like what Miller has done for us. I respect the career Maltby has had. But I wouldn't hesitate for a second if we could move them, together with something like Lebda/Meech+picks and get a REAL 3rd line scorer. Split up Hank and Pav, let Fil center the 3rd line. Playoffs here we come. Maybe.

Name a player that could fit the bill youre talking about?

Name a player that could fit the bill youre talking about?

Hudler :(

Samuelsson :(

Leino I was hoping :(

Nah that's the problem isn't it, those players are hard to find. Afinogenov I guess. Eric Fehr maybe. But I don't think we'd get those players by throwing Miller and Lebda their way.

Toronto has a couple of guys that would be interesting to me. They're basically a team of 3rd liners and Kessel.

At this point I'm so desperate I'd ALMOST give Tatar a game or two just to see what happens.

Edited by dat's sick

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
We already blew it on the best deal out there. We should've traded him last year and used the cap relief to pitch a better deal to Hossa.

Hossa at $5 mil >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Flip at $3 mil...

In every way imaginable...

This.

Seeing as this didn't happen though No Filppula should not be traded. The only player who was known to be available this deadline that I would have traded him for was Kovalchuk (with a package obviously). Seeing as this didn't happen there is not one player on the current known trademarket that Filp is not a better fit for this team than.

EDIT: Just saw the post on Booth, I wouldn't s*** my pants over that, but I wouldnt be disapointed. Horton would be nice too...

I would be happy with this

Filppula + Kindl + 1st

Horton + Olesz + 2nd

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

So put a guy on the Wing who can't score goals to save his life and pay him $3 million to boot? Really? Have you seen how he plays along the boards??? You know that thing about him falling all the time in the offensive zone and in the process botching rushes? That's what happens with Flip on the boards. He's had more success taking it down the middle. He's not strong on the boards, let alone his skates, at all.

And at center his defensive ability is better utilized anyways, and generally he's been pretty good on the face-off, though it has been an issue lately.

Agree. At least once a game, Flip f**ks up a great scoring chance. Be it shooting wide of an empty net or suddenly forgetting that scoring involves moving (see last night's game....3rd period.....if you Flip lovers miss it visually, just listen for Ken Daniels saying "Filppula can't finish it" as he stares at the puck between his legs).

It's just comical. Either he's a center who is great defensively, in which case we are too deep for him, or a Winger (now) with "potential." We can't score goals as a team....but keep our $500,000 per goal man.

Gcom also made a point....we kept Filppula at $3M so that we could *hope* he reached his potential.....rather than keeping Hossa, who has hit that potential, at $5M.

I am not saying that I am a huge Hossa fan......but think of it....why keep a $3M 3rd liner when you had a happy top liner willing to stick around?

Hossa sucked in the playoffs, but man, it sure was nice getting to them, no? And considering he played with a massive shoulder injury.....yikes. Wings made a mistake.

Nobody even cares what you guys are saying here and thank God for that. At least Babcock knows these things.

Yes, thank God that our team doesn't blindly listen to outlandish nationalist fans whose bias towards their home country supersedes their ability to judge a player.

Babcock does see these things, hence, Filppula is a 3rd liner.

Yes, thank God that our team doesn't blindly listen to outlandish nationalist fans whose bias towards their home country supersedes their ability to judge a player.

Babcock does see these things, hence, Filppula is a 3rd liner.

It's all the same to me which role Babcock plays him as long as we win. Filppula is a 2nd liner in the NHL and 2nd liner in this team. He is among our 6 best forwards. The only reason he may play in the 3rd line is because guys like Cleary, Holmstrom and Bertuzzi are wingers or because guys like Helm may not be ready to be more than 4th liners. Either way, he won't be going anywhere.

Gcom also made a point....we kept Filppula at $3M so that we could *hope* he reached his potential.....rather than keeping Hossa, who has hit that potential, at $5M.

I am not saying that I am a huge Hossa fan......but think of it....why keep a $3M 3rd liner when you had a happy top liner willing to stick around?

Hossa sucked in the playoffs, but man, it sure was nice getting to them, no? And considering he played with a massive shoulder injury.....yikes. Wings made a mistake.

Hossa didn't want to stay because it meant we would have to get rid of other players to fit him under the salary cap. It wasn't as simple as Filppula vs. Hossa, 2 million more would have had to be cleared.

And honestly I'm kinda glad we didn't sign him. Another 10+ year deal would have been scary considering we already have Z and Franzen signed that long.

If Franzen wasn't injured all year we wouldn't have missed Hossa as much as we have. And Holland couldn't have known that.

Filppula is 106th ppg in the league among forwards who have played at least 10 games this season. There are 30x6=180 top6 forwards (=at least 2nd liners) in the league so Filppula is pretty easily on that list. The reason why I count ppg and not points is because Filppula has been injured this season. Marian Gaborik was still a top6 forward in the league last season even though he had only 23 points.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Hossa didn't want to stay because it meant we would have to get rid of other players to fit him under the salary cap. It wasn't as simple as Filppula vs. Hossa, 2 million more would have had to be cleared.

And honestly I'm kinda glad we didn't sign him. Another 10+ year deal would have been scary considering we already have Z and Franzen signed that long.

If Franzen wasn't injured all year we wouldn't have missed Hossa as much as we have. And Holland couldn't have known that.

Turns out that other $2m+ was Hudler.

Filppula is 106th ppg in the league among forwards who have played at least 10 games this season. There are 30x6=180 top6 forwards (=at least 2nd liners) in the league so Filppula is pretty easily on that list. The reason why I count ppg and not points is because Filppula has been injured this season. Marian Gaborik was still a top6 forward in the league last season even though he had only 23 points.

i get the sense that you are biased...what could it be..... :sly:

i get the sense that you are biased...what could it be..... :sly:
I probably am, but that doesn't change those facts.

edit: Or it could be also the thing that I know more about Filppula than for example guys like Cleary and Stuart. It's kinda easier to discuss about players you already know much of.

Edited by Finnish Wing

If Babcock is going to be a stubborn fool and keep him in the bottom 6, then yes, trade him where he'll be given his 2nd line center spot that he more than deserves.

Why would Babs do that? Hes third on the depth chart on Centers on this team, hes not as good defensively or offensively as either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and since Babcock is smart enough to realize splitting up our 2 biggest offensive threats is a good idea Flip wont be a 2nd line center.

Well, the argument is that Detroit is hurting for Goal scorers not playmakers and since flip is definitely not a goal scorer if a trade was made we'd move out an asset that would warrant good return.

I get it..but still, without injury, Val would have gotten 50 pts this year easily. Olesz has never proven he can do anything. I agree we need a sniper but not at the cost of a reliable and versitle solid 2 way guy.

Agree. At least once a game, Flip f**ks up a great scoring chance. Be it shooting wide of an empty net or suddenly forgetting that scoring involves moving (see last night's game....3rd period.....if you Flip lovers miss it visually, just listen for Ken Daniels saying "Filppula can't finish it" as he stares at the puck between his legs).

I could say that about Dats, Z, Bert an Cleary right now....NO ONE can find the back of the F^%%^ net.

It's just comical. Either he's a center who is great defensively, in which case we are too deep for him, or a Winger (now) with "potential." We can't score goals as a team....but keep our $500,000 per goal man.

Until he learns how to shoot the puck, he'll never be all that special and irreplaceable to this team.

His wristshot is a freaking joke.

Agree with this... his wrist shot is awful. Luckily, that is something you can improve a great deal.. Unlike other skills, like great hands, where you either have it or don't, shooting can be improved with a lot of practice and workouts.. If I were Ken Holland, I would have Fippula work all summer on getting his wrist shot stronger... He could be a vert dangerous player

I'd trade Filppula for someone like:

Bobby Ryan

Steven Stamkos

Victor Hedman

etc

guys who'd be too good of a deal to pass up.

But would I trade him for a player of comparable value? No. He fits perfectly in the Wings' system. He does every thing well and can play any roll you ask him to other than as a fighter.

It'd be retarded to trade Filppula for anything other than a home-run type of guy. And we all know that won't happen.