• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rwfan007

MLB 2010 Season Thread

Rate this topic

With Boston signing Crawford, the Yankees have added another year to their offer.

Red Sox lineup looks pretty damn stacked. If there pitching actually holds up they should be back on top in the AL East. Good bye Tampa.

Yeah, everyone knew Tampa wouldn't be able to hold that team together, though. They've already made it known to the rest of the league that they'll entertain offers for their rotation as well. Cubs signed Pena, Tigers grabbed Benoit, Red Sox now have Crawford, Soriano is definitely leaving, and reports are coming out that the Cubs are putting together a package for Matt Garza, too.

Who's complaining?

His agent. ;)

Appears catcher Russel Martin is next free agent that NY/Bos and apparently even Jays (likely using hometown pull) are trying for.

Edited by WpgMikos

You never know what can happen until you play the game. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtsoZalQ6YU

That's true. I will say that if the Red Sox rotation players return to what they were a couple years ago, same with Papelbon, nobody will beat them. But for now, they look like the best offensive team in the league right now. Pedroia, Gonzalez, Crawford, Youkilis, Big Papi....oh Lordy. Imagin if they were able to keep Martinez.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

I am so jacked about this, I don't even care that I'm replying to myself.

1. CF Jackson

2. 2B Rhymes

3. RF Ordonez

4. 1B Cabrera

5. C Martinez

6. DH Guillen

7. LF Boesch

8. SS Peralta

9. 3B Inge

I'm sorry, but that batting order is as stacked as the Tigers have ever been. Peralta was a 4-5 slot guy in Cleveland and he's 7-8 in this order. Obviously, it will change on days that Guillen is at 2B or when Avila catches, but I am thrilled about this line-up.

^ :banana: :yowza: Welcome back Mags!!

Also, LOL Cliff Lee left money on the table to go back to the Phils :yowza:

They're my NL team so I'm pretty goddamn happy :yowza:

Check it out: Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee

People are calling it "R2C2" :lol:

Edited by wingsgirl001

The Tigers have some really good players about to hit their prime and a bunch that have passed it. I think Illitch has gave Dombrowski a lot of cash to put a team together that a lot of other GM's would have used better. The Tigers have had a high payroll for years and traded away a lot of prospects without much to show for it. However, I think they recently addressed a few needs but if they want to get into the playoffs they'll need to pick up another starter and left handed reliever. Considering how many Venezuelan players the Tigers have that are well respected not only on the team or MLB but back in Venezuela also, I think trying to trade for Carlos Zambrano would be a good idea. He has a lot of potential and if he can control himself, he would be a very effective member of the Tigers. The Tigers wouldn't have to give up as much as they would for Greinke or Garza and the Cubs would probably pay a majority of his contract just to get rid of him. The reliever I would look at, if they won't put Coke back in the bullpen, is JC Romero just because he's been on a winning team and the Tigers need players with that experience. I agree Raburn has lots of potential but I can't figure out why he hasn't played full time if he's so good. If the Tigers really want to go somewhere I would like them to sign Scott Podsednick and use Raburn as a backup or DH. There's no perfect team out there regardless of what people may think about Boston and Philly and that's why I'm very excited about this (2011) season. This could be a real good year but if Dombrowski waits until the deadline to make moves he may have to give up more then he would now.

Edited by KDDRWINGS1

I'm not a huge Dombrowski supporter either, but what prospects have the Tigers traded recently that have panned out at all? Jurrjens is the only one I can think of that has done anything in the big leagues.

I think this off-season has been overall pretty strong. I don't want Zambrano's contract and poor clubhouse attitude. I wouldn't mind taking a shot with someone like Brad Penny for insurance if Coke and/or Galarraga can't be effective as our 4th and 5th starters.

The prospects the Tigers gave up for Cabrera alone make Dombrowski look like a genius. I'm not a huge supporter, but he has made some strong moves.

As a Cubs fan, I want nothing to do with Zambrono. He makes it hard to root for them sometimes and I'd hate for his volatile personality to do clubhouse damage in Detroit, too. I'd love to see us get a strong arm to round out the rotation; and while we have a lot of money on the payroll we have to keep in mind that you have to offer guys lucrative deals to come to smaller markets. Additionally, Illitch used to play shortstop, had his career cut short, and would spend all the money he had to bring a World Series Championship back to Detroit.

I'm a big rusty on the baseball, but is Detroit in market? Are we looking to make a splash?

As in, the free agent market? I would consider them a second-tier team, everyone knew they wouldn't be going after the big names like Crawford or Lee, but there were rumblings of Werth and we did sign Joaquin Benoit away from the Tampa Bay Rays, and Victor Martinez. We still have money to invest in another bat or solid lefty, but compared to our Central Division opponents - we've probably had the busiest off-season.

So far the Tigers signed / re-signed:

3B Brandon Inge

SS Jhonny Peralta

RHP Joaquin Benoit

C Victor Martinez

RF Magglio Ordonez

So far the Twins have signed:

2B Tsuyoshi Nishioka

So far the White Sox have signed/re-signed:

DH Adam Dunn

1B Paul Konerko

C A.J. Pierzynski

Counting acquisitions alone, it appears as though the Tigers had 'won' the off-season; especially considering the fact that the Twins and White Sox have lost key pieces to their bullpen this off-season while the Tigers have only lost Ryan Perry. The Twins will likely re-sign Jim Thome and will potentially re-sign Carl Pavano. Even without re-signing either player they're still technically the team to beat, but it's surprising that they aren't making any noise.

The White Sox have stepped up pretty big and will definitely push a lot of runs across the plate, but I think the White Sox are done making big noise, whereas I feel the Tigers still have a big signing left in them.

As in, the free agent market? I would consider them a second-tier team, everyone knew they wouldn't be going after the big names like Crawford or Lee, but there were rumblings of Werth and we did sign Joaquin Benoit away from the Tampa Bay Rays, and Victor Martinez. We still have money to invest in another bat or solid lefty, but compared to our Central Division opponents - we've probably had the busiest off-season.

So far the Tigers signed / re-signed:

3B Brandon Inge

SS Jhonny Peralta

RHP Joaquin Benoit

C Victor Martinez

RF Magglio Ordonez

So far the Twins have signed:

2B Tsuyoshi Nishioka

So far the White Sox have signed/re-signed:

DH Adam Dunn

1B Paul Konerko

C A.J. Pierzynski

Counting acquisitions alone, it appears as though the Tigers had 'won' the off-season; especially considering the fact that the Twins and White Sox have lost key pieces to their bullpen this off-season while the Tigers have only lost Ryan Perry. The Twins will likely re-sign Jim Thome and will potentially re-sign Carl Pavano. Even without re-signing either player they're still technically the team to beat, but it's surprising that they aren't making any noise.

The White Sox have stepped up pretty big and will definitely push a lot of runs across the plate, but I think the White Sox are done making big noise, whereas I feel the Tigers still have a big signing left in them.

We didn't lose Perry. He is still here. I feel good about this season though, as long as we stay healthy **knock on wood**

We didn't lose Perry. He is still here. I feel good about this season though, as long as we stay healthy **knock on wood**

You're right, that's my bad. I was thinking of Eddie Bonine.

I'm really excited about the season, too. I'd love to see a little more depth on the mound, but the off-season is far from over.