• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Howard - Rookie of The Year?

Rate this topic

I think a big reason for Mason winning last year was not only his stellar numbers, but the fact that a lot of people viewed his performance as what got Columbus into the post-season. By comparison, Jimmy won't be given that sort of credit if the Wings are playing in late April.

Edited by Travis

I don't know exactly what you're talking about. This team has been wracked by injuries all season long, and Howard is probably the single biggest reason they're in playoff contention at the moment. He stepped up.

I dunno. I just don't think Howard steals games like Rask. I watched both teams play and Red Wings obviously is the better team all around.

You're just crying because your homeboy doesn't get to play games :P

Maybe it's just because having a guy with 5m cap hit as a backup would be quite a waste.

Howard is more important to the Wings than Myers is to Buffalo. Rookie of the year.

agreed to this. Howard is a big reason we're even in the hunt for the playoffs... and he doesn't look like a rookie out there. :thumbup:

Howard is more important to the Wings than Myers is to Buffalo. Rookie of the year.

The only argument I have against this statement is that Myers has been both their best skating defensive player and probably top 3 on the team offensively.

That is a lot on the shoulders of a first year defenseman.

I'd argue against that. You'd have to watch more Buffalo games to understand how important Myers is to that team.

Not that it matters though, I don't think importance to your team should have any bearing on the rookie of the year award, it's not an MVP award.

I mean it's entirely possible with the way this team has been playing for Jimmy to get 35 or more wins. I just don't understand how they couldn't give him rookie of the year after winning (possibly) 35+ games.

Edit: Mason won 33 games last year with a .916 save % and a 2.29 GAA, for comparison.

Did you leave out Mason's 10 shutouts on purpose? That makes a HUGE difference in the comparison. Also, Mason didn't have a guy like Myers to go up against either. Mason was also only 21 I think.

Probably shouldn't matter, but I wonder if the voters would be swayed by the fact that Howard is 26 and Myers is only 20? I bet some might.

whats the record for most wins by a rookie goalie?

Not sure, but Sawchuk had 44 and Belfour had 43.

Rask has a better save percentage, a better GAA and more shutouts than Howie.

If Rask plays the majority of Boston's games (instead of TT) and keeps up the same numbers, I think he will (and should) get the Calder

While Rask might have slightly better numbers, Howard's body of work is much more impressive. 18 of Howie's 30 wins are against playoff teams. Where as Rask, only 5 of his 18 wins are against playoff teams.

Rask:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/players/gamelog?playerId=3405

Howard:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/players/gamelog?playerId=3170

Edited by zata20

Guest mindfly

You need some counseling, really.

no but osgood probably needs it. you seem to be one of them people who is a bigger fan of a certain player (in your case osgood) than the actual team (detroit red wings)

:blink:

Edited by mindfly

Did you leave out Mason's 10 shutouts on purpose? That makes a HUGE difference in the comparison. Also, Mason didn't have a guy like Myers to go up against either. Mason was also only 21 I think.

No, after I edited it once I realized I had left out the shutouts. I had completely forgotten about that. I also then realized a ton of other people had commented on his amount of shutouts so I figured I could leave it out haha. Here's to hoping Jimmy records 9 consecutive shutouts to end the season!

No, after I edited it once I realized I had left out the shutouts. I had completely forgotten about that. I also then realized a ton of other people had commented on his amount of shutouts so I figured I could leave it out haha. Here's to hoping Jimmy records 9 consecutive shutouts to end the season!

I'm not sure the shutout thing will actually go against Howard as much as some may believe. Sure he only has one shutout, and while it doesn't speak much of his ability to stop everything, it does speak volumes about his consistency. Mason had what, 10 shutouts last year contributing to his GAA and save%? That leaves room for that many more average to below average games by him. Howie has one shutout which means nine less 0's in the GAA column and nine less 1.000 in the s% column, yet he still has top five goalie numbers in each stat.

no but osgood probably needs it. you seem to be one of them people who is a bigger fan of a certain player (in your case osgood) than the actual team (detroit red wings)

:blink:

True, I am big supporter of Chris Osgood.

But I have the Red Winged Wheel tattooed on my left arm, not 'Ozzie' or '30'.

That says it all, doesn't it ?

p.s. If you want to make this personal, at least try to say something remotely intelligent.

I think Myers will get it. There has been so much media hype for the guy all year, that it would be weird for him NOT to win. Not saying he isnt a great player, but at the same time I dont think Howard is getting much credit.

Mason's win last year had a lot to do with his SO, IMO and I think thats the one blemish on Howards record.

My guess for Calder voting is

1. Myers

2. Howard

3. Duchene

agree 100%

on a side note...

i like tavares, and he's a good player and is probably gonna be a great player, but everyone ithat i said to that duchene is gonna be a better player than tavares laughed at me pretty good and i said i'd take him 1st overall. s*** i hate that he's on the divealanche. in a few years from now, duchene is probably going to be the clear cut best player from this years rookie class.

True, I am big supporter of Chris Osgood.

But I have the Red Winged Wheel tattooed on my left arm, not 'Ozzie' or '30'.

That says it all, doesn't it ?

p.s. If you want to make this personal, at least try to say something remotely intelligent.

Don't hold your breath!

Thoughts:

If Detroit Moves up to the 5th spot after getting healthy does that hurt or help J-Ho's chances?

2 schools of thought here:

1. Being that J-Ho carried the team until they got healthy.

2. Being that the team getting healthy carried the Rook down the stretch.

Any other thoughts?

Don't hold your breath!

Thoughts:

If Detroit Moves up to the 5th spot after getting healthy does that hurt or help J-Ho's chances?

2 schools of thought here:

1. Being that J-Ho carried the team until they got healthy.

2. Being that the team getting healthy carried the Rook down the stretch.

Any other thoughts?

I don't know that I think they carried him. He certainly carried them most of the season, however. People complain about Jimmy's rebounds, but when it counts, there are none. He's learning... just as it should be. He's matured way past where I thought he would, and risen to the challenge.

Win or lose on the Calder, we have someone in net who can take us forward, I believe, for years to come. I couldn't be happier with Jimmy, personally.

So much so that I am considering putting him in as my avatar for the playoffs. If you know me, that's a pretty huge vote of confidence and support. :cool:

on the subject of rask having similar stats to jimmy, jimmy has played 22 more games than rask. thats a huge difference. jimmy carried the team at times and stole us a few important games. if it were between jimmy and rask, i would definitely say jimmy deserves it.

If he is not nominated the NHL is a complete joke... he'll be nominated...... <_<

But at this point it is between Howard and Myers, with Myers up on the current hype edge, but if Howard keeps this up and the Wings keep on winning, the hype machine could easily swing the other way.

I personally think the only thing thats going to hurt Howards chances is the fact that he is 26, other then that i honestly believe Howard should be a lock for the Calder. No other player that is being considered has gone through what Howard has this season with pretty much everyone being injured at some point this season for the Wings and to turn into the starter over night from the back-up and keep the Wings in the playoff race. Don't get me wrong Duchene and Myers are both great rookie players but for those reasons there i believe Howard should win it.

I personally think the only thing thats going to hurt Howards chances is the fact that he is 26, other then that i honestly believe Howard should be a lock for the Calder. No other player that is being considered has gone through what Howard has this season with pretty much everyone being injured at some point this season for the Wings and to turn into the starter over night from the back-up and keep the Wings in the playoff race. Don't get me wrong Duchene and Myers are both great rookie players but for those reasons there i believe Howard should win it.

He got his first 30 wins this season at age 25. :lol:

Seriously, though, Howie is a goalie and it's expected that they come into the league at an older age so I don't think it's that much of a strike against him.

Myers is, by far, the favorite. Stranger things have happened, but prepare to be disappointed again, Red Wing fans.

This.

Red Wings players are destined to go to the playoffs, and have legit shots at the Cup. Not Calders.

He got his first 30 wins this season at age 25. :lol:

Seriously, though, Howie is a goalie and it's expected that they come into the league at an older age so I don't think it's that much of a strike against him.

It's not just me ive heard it from the TSN guys and other sport shows to saying its going to be his age that hurts his chances, i don't care about his age i think his play and numbers alone like i said with everything else he's gone through makes him the guy for the Calder