Wings off season moves.

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 funguy21

funguy21

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

With the NHL season close to being finished this means it will soon be the off season and free agency. I was just curious to see what other people though would be the Wings moves this off season. Here is what I think the Wings will do during the off season.

Lets start with the forwards. Helm, Maltby, Abdelkader, Miller, Williams, Bertuzzi, Eaves, and Holmstrom contracts are up. I think Eaves, Miller, and Helm are a lock to be resigned they play key energy roles and pk roles. Abdelkader will also be signed he is young and has plenty of potential. Bertuzzi has been a pleasant surprise for the wings and they should sign him for another year. Holmstrom has been as valuable as he always has looks like he got a few more years in him and the wings will surely sign him again. That leaves Maltby and Williams. For the most part Williams have shown glimpse of scoring touch but other then that he been pretty invisible. I do not believe he will be resigned. I also think Maltby might retire or the wings just won't sign him. So that is roughly 2.4 million off the cap. I do realize I have no accounted for the raise player like Helm and Eaves are going to receive we are just going to presume the raise the players get are going to be counter balanced by the pay decrease of others because well I have no idea who will get payed what and I am just trying to make conversation

Now the defense. We have Lidstrom, Lebda, Meech, and Lilja. Obviously we are going to want Lidstrom the big question is will he play or not and if he does how much will he play for. If he doesn't thats 7.5 million of cap space open up. If he does I can see him playing for anywhere between 2 million and 5 million. So Nick is going to open us up too 2.5 million and 5.5 million with a hall a fame d-man or 7.5 million looking for a replacement not really sure. Just for the best case scenario we will say Lidstrom plays one more year for 3 million that open up for 4.5 million dollars. I think Lilja will stay because he has stabilized or back end quite a bit since his return so he will probably get a one year contract. With Kindl coming up that leaves 7 defense men so Lebda and Meech will not be resigned. So thats an additional 1 million freed of the cap.

So in this scenario we would have 12 forwards, 7 defense and 7.9 million in cap space not including if the cap increase. I won't even get into the goal tending situation because I have no idea how Holland is going to fix that because I don't think you could really on Howard for an entire season with Osgood backing him up as bad as he has played this year and last.

Any ways let me know if you have any opinions or predictions on the Red Wings off season.

#2 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Franzen
Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Ritola
Cleary-Filppula-Miller
Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves
Draper

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Bertuzzi-Filppula-Franzen
Cleary-Helm-Eaves
Miller-Abdelkader-Ritola
Draper

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Lilja
Kindl

I believe Helm, Eaves, Miller, Abdelkader and Ritola are restricted free agents. They shouldn't be too hard to sign.

I think it's likely that Holmstrom takes a slight pay cut with a salary of 1.7-2.

I also think it's likely that Lilja takes a slight pay cut to be at .9-1m. Some people on other forums think he'll command 2-2.5 mil but I don't see that happening since his numbers on the offensive end aren't much.

It's likely that Bertuzzi will score more points than last year. I'm not sure if he has played well enough to seriously consider offers from other teams. He'll evaluate every situation and he might go somewhere else but if they want him back and if he wants to stay then I can see him signing for a contract that isn't significantly different from this year's. I know we'd all like an upgrade at that position but I suppose overall that he's been good for his role.

I know we all like the think that Lidstrom will take a huge pay cut but I still see him as the highest paid defenseman on the team for around 6-6.3 mil.

It's definitely possible to have the aforementioned roster. It's not all that ideal but it's still a good team that can compete.

Edited by titanium2, 30 March 2010 - 12:45 PM.

#3 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

I hope the wings sign Colby Armstrong. He seems to be the type of guy that Babs would like since he's good for 20 goals and is feisty. I could see Bert not getting resigned in favour of Armstrong. Armstrong Abs and Helm would be a really fun line to watch.

Doubt it'll happen but I would be pumped if it did.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#4 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

If Hudler comes back, I really don't see any new additions of significance.

Posted Image

#5 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

With the NHL season close to being finished this means it will soon be the off season and free agency. I was just curious to see what other people though would be the Wings moves this off season. Here is what I think the Wings will do during the off season.

Lets start with the forwards. Helm, Maltby, Abdelkader, Miller, Williams, Bertuzzi, Eaves, and Holmstrom contracts are up. I think Eaves, Miller, and Helm are a lock to be resigned they play key energy roles and pk roles. Abdelkader will also be signed he is young and has plenty of potential. Bertuzzi has been a pleasant surprise for the wings and they should sign him for another year. Holmstrom has been as valuable as he always has looks like he got a few more years in him and the wings will surely sign him again. That leaves Maltby and Williams. For the most part Williams have shown glimpse of scoring touch but other then that he been pretty invisible. I do not believe he will be resigned. I also think Maltby might retire or the wings just won't sign him. So that is roughly 2.4 million off the cap. I do realize I have no accounted for the raise player like Helm and Eaves are going to receive we are just going to presume the raise the players get are going to be counter balanced by the pay decrease of others because well I have no idea who will get payed what and I am just trying to make conversation

Now the defense. We have Lidstrom, Lebda, Meech, and Lilja. Obviously we are going to want Lidstrom the big question is will he play or not and if he does how much will he play for. If he doesn't thats 7.5 million of cap space open up. If he does I can see him playing for anywhere between 2 million and 5 million. So Nick is going to open us up too 2.5 million and 5.5 million with a hall a fame d-man or 7.5 million looking for a replacement not really sure. Just for the best case scenario we will say Lidstrom plays one more year for 3 million that open up for 4.5 million dollars. I think Lilja will stay because he has stabilized or back end quite a bit since his return so he will probably get a one year contract. With Kindl coming up that leaves 7 defense men so Lebda and Meech will not be resigned. So thats an additional 1 million freed of the cap.

So in this scenario we would have 12 forwards, 7 defense and 7.9 million in cap space not including if the cap increase. I won't even get into the goal tending situation because I have no idea how Holland is going to fix that because I don't think you could really on Howard for an entire season with Osgood backing him up as bad as he has played this year and last.

Any ways let me know if you have any opinions or predictions on the Red Wings off season.

This is what i wanna see:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Filppula-Zetterberg-Armstrong
Cleary-Helm-Eaves
Miller-Sutherby-Draper
-Chipchura/Abdelkader

Lidstrom-Seabrook
Stuart-Kronwall
Ericsson-Alberts

If Hudler does come back,this lineup is totally messed up.But for now,im gonna assume he's not back.Trade away Brian Rafalski and sign Brent Seabrook.Let Lilja go and sign Andrew Alberts.Let Bertuzzi and Williams go.Sign Colby Armstrong,Kyle Chipchura, and Brian Sutherby to one-year deals.We should be left with a little cap space.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#6 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Cleary-Helm-Eaves
Miller-Sutherby-Draper
-Chipchura/Abdelkader

Lidstrom-Seabrook
Stuart-Kronwall
Ericsson-Alberts

If Hudler does come back,this lineup is totally messed up.But for now,im gonna assume he's not back.Trade away Brian Rafalski and sign Brent Seabrook.Let Lilja go and sign Andrew Alberts.Let Bertuzzi and Williams go.Sign Colby Armstrong,Kyle Chipchura, and Brian Sutherby to one-year deals.We should be left with a little cap space.

Keep dreaming.

Posted Image

#7 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

Cleary-Helm-Eaves
Miller-Sutherby-Draper
-Chipchura/Abdelkader

Lidstrom-Seabrook
Stuart-Kronwall
Ericsson-Alberts

While I don't see seabrook or Alberts gettign signed I wouldn't mind seeing Chipchura here but obviously I'm a sucker for players that can fight lol.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#8 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

While I don't see seabrook or Alberts gettign signed I wouldn't mind seeing Chipchura here but obviously I'm a sucker for players that can fight lol.

I'd love to see Aaron Ward back.he won't fight much but he's still a legit shut down defensemen.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#9 cmonster

cmonster

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

I would be pretty happy with this roster:

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000
Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333
Johan Franzen $3,954,545
Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000
Daniel Cleary $2,800,000
Todd Bertuzzi $1,750,000
Tomas Holmstrom $1,750,000
Kris Draper $1,583,333
Jonathan Cheechoo $1,500,000
Darren Helm $1,250,000
Justin Abdelkader $1,000,000
Drew Miller $875,000
Patrick Eaves $875,000

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski $6,000,000
Nicklas Lidstrom $4,250,000
Brad Stuart $3,750,000
Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000
Andreas Lilja $1,000,000
Jonathan Ericsson $900,000
Jakub Kindl $883,333
Derek Meech $550,000

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666
Jimmy Howard $716,666

ROSTER SIZE 23
SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $55,587,876
BONUSES $0
CAP SPACE $1,212,124

Lines:

Datsyuk/Cheechoo/Holmstrom
Filpulla/Zetterberg/Franzen
Abdelkader/Bertuzzi/Cleary
Draper/Helm/Eaves
Miller

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Stuart/Kronwall
Ericcson/Lilja
Kindl/Meech

Howard
Osgood

Thoughts?

#10 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Cheechoo? Seriously?

Posted Image

#11 cmonster

cmonster

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:45 AM

Cheechoo? Seriously?

Yes, seriously. I think he would come cheap and I don't think that he is washed up or anything. He scored 50 some goals on Thornton's wing. Don't you think he could get at least 25-30 on Datsyuk's wing?

#12 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:16 AM

It's time for Kovalchuck!!!!!!! Flip can be traded, Dats and Z can center the top 2 lines............And we have a scoring beast that wants to win the CUP.

:yowza:

Posted Image

#13 jerm8352

jerm8352

I am the GREATEST swordsman that ever lived!

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

It's time for Kovalchuck!!!!!!! Flip can be traded, Dats and Z can center the top 2 lines............And we have a scoring beast that wants to win the CUP.

you mean like Hossa did? How did that work out?
I remember the good old days when LGW was worth going to and not full of blind homers who freak out just because someone thinks that the Wings aren't perfect.

#14 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

you mean like Hossa did? How did that work out?

Well it worked out pretty well seeing as that roster was the closet possible to winning it all, despite having two of their star players playing at far less than capable. You do realize that if the situation for the 08-09 team had been the same for the 07-08 team, the wings would have easily won the cup right?
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#15 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Filppula traded.He's been a bit of a disappointment..

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#16 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Filppula traded.He's been a bit of a disappointment..

Have you been drinking? Fil has nearly as many points (could potentially get the same number) as last year, in a third less games. He has 9 points in the last 8 games, and something like 26 points since he's been back from his injury (~33 games or so). I don't know where the disappointment is in those numbers...

On topic, Our lines most likely will stay similar to what they are now. Williams will probably be traded, hopefully we keep Eaves and Miller. As much as I hate to say it, I'd like to see Hudler come back :-/

#17 hgimn

hgimn

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:33 AM

This is the team I would love to see iced for next season.It probably won't happen,but a guy can always dream right?The cap number is based off of the report on hotstove last week on hnic.

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000
Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333
Johan Franzen $3,954,545
Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000
Daniel Cleary $2,800,000
Tomas Holmstrom $1,900,000
Kris Draper $1,583,333
Maxim Afinogenov $1,400,000
Darren Helm $1,300,000
Justin Abdelkader $1,100,000
Drew Miller $800,000
Mattias Ritola $750,000
Patrick Eaves $750,000

Nicklas Lidstrom $6,000,000
Brian Rafalski $6,000,000
Brad Stuart $3,750,000
Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000
Jonathan Ericsson $900,000
Jakub Kindl $883,333
Derek Meech $600,000

Chris Osgood $1,416,666
Jimmy Howard $716,666

ROSTER SIZE 22
SALARY CAP $57,700,000
PAYROLL $55,387,876
CAP SPACE $2,312,124

This is what I see the lineup as:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Filppula-Afinogenov
Miller-Helm-Cleary
Abdelkader-Draper-Eaves
Ritola

or

Filppula-Zetterberg-Afinogenov
Miller-Helm-Cleary
Abdelkader-Draper-Eaves
Ritola

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Stuart-Kronwall
Ericsson-Kindl
Meech

Howard
Osgood

I think that would be a very solid lineup,and would leave some wiggle room in case of injury or trade.Just my thoughts on what I would like to see.

#18 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

we loose bert and williams get hurdler and abby nothing els
Posted Image

#19 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

Have you been drinking? Fil has nearly as many points (could potentially get the same number) as last year, in a third less games. He has 9 points in the last 8 games, and something like 26 points since he's been back from his injury (~33 games or so). I don't know where the disappointment is in those numbers...

Well Said! :thumbup:

On topic, Our lines most likely will stay similar to what they are now. Williams will probably be traded, hopefully we keep Eaves and Miller. As much as I hate to say it, I'd like to see Hudler come back :-/

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#20 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

lol ok so just did a new GM mode in NHL10 and at the end of the season Lidstrom,Maltby,May,Draper all retired, anyways before i started the season i traded Williams to the Oilers for Comrie, and i scratched Maltby and put in Abby.These are the lines i ran we finished 2pts back SJ for top in the West. In the brackets are the points they finished with at the end of the season. anyways i did it to see how Comrie would do because i like him as a player and he is a free agent this off-season and would be a good fit for his cheap salary. and after Lids retired i signed Willie Mitchell at 3.75mill

Franzen(75)-Datsyuk(95)-Holmstrom(64)
Zetterberg(90)-Comrie(71)-Fippula(70)
Eaves(27)-Cleary(35)-Bertuzzi(64)
Abdelkader(32)-Helm(30)-Draper(28)
Miller(15)

Lidstrom(57)-Rafalski(44)
Kronwall(37)-Stuart(40)
Lilja(13)-Ericcson(19)

Howard

D after Lids retired

Kronwall-Rafalski
Mitchell-Stuart