• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
high_stick69

Future stud for the Wings D?

Rate this topic

The NCAA Hockey Championship game is tonight and Detroit Red Wing draft choice Brendan Smith will be lacing up the skates for Wisconsin. He is the nation's leading scorer for defensemen and a finalist for the Hobey Baker. He had 5 assists in the semifinal game against RIT. It's a good opportunity to catch some great hockey and see Brendan in action. I'm excited about him making the Wings in the next year or two. He's a great young player and a reason for optimism!

Profile here:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/smith_brendan00.html

Edited by high_stick69

I've never really seen the guy play. Is it a reasonable comparison to say he's similar to a Mike Green type of player?

I hope not. Green can't play D worth s***. I'm hoping Smith ends up more like Beachamin(sp?) back with the Ducks. A really good offensive and defensive Dman that brings some physicality. I think alot of ppl on these boards over look the fact that Smith is a fairly hard nosed player.

I hope not. Green can't play D worth s***. I'm hoping Smith ends up more like Beachamin(sp?) back with the Ducks. A really good offensive and defensive Dman that brings some physicality. I think alot of ppl on these boards over look the fact that Smith is a fairly hard nosed player.

I agree about Green. But from what I've heard, Smith isn't too great in his own end either which is why I was thinking that. Like I said, I've never seen him play though.

Edited by Zetts

Having a Mike Green wouldn't be bad, are you kidding me. A D-Man who puts up 60-80 points. You have to be retarded to not want a player like that. Put him with a defensive D-man and you have a great great D pairing. Take the monkey see-monkey do blinders off ffs.

But back on point, in all reality I see Smith being a more phsyical, better defensive Kindl, kind of like Rafalski would be if he played physical.

edit: That came off harsh, but this monkey see - monkey do mentality on here is getting old fast. So many players never get their credit because of personal prejudice and the sheep on here follow the Sheppard like no other.

Edited by Konnan511

Having a Mike Green wouldn't be bad, are you kidding me. A D-Man who puts up 60-80 points. You have to be retarded to not want a player like that. Put him with a defensive D-man and you have a great great D pairing. Take the monkey see-monkey do blinders off ffs.

But back on point, in all reality I see Smith being a more phsyical, better defensive Kindl, kind of like Rafalski would be if he played physical.

Green plays on an all offense, run and gun style team. I would rather have a defenseman that puts up points like Lids and Rafalski. Not rushing all the time, just make good paasses move as a unit into the offensive zone. Green is a 4th forward not a defenseman. He's always rushing and getting caught. How often have you seen a 30 goal scoring defenseman get cut from an olympic team? He's got serious defensive problems. I wouldn't complain if we had a guy like that, but a Rafalski type point getter would be much better.

I like the physical Rafalski comparison but I see him being better defensively since he's like 6'2 or something and won't get out muscled nearly as much.

I agree about Green. But from what I've heard, Smith isn't too great in his own end either which is why I was thinking that. Like I said, I've never seen him play though.

Mike Green is a hell of a lot more talented than Smith. I wouldn't use that comparison at all. Smith though already has an awesome shot. It's better than your average NHL shooter. He's really good with the puck. Without it, well, you're right in that he isn't great in the defensive zone. However, this year he is significantly better in that area. Also, fighting is not a strength of his but he is not afraid to hit back if someone tries to start stuff with him.

I see Smith and Lashoff complementing each other pretty well. Kind of like a Kronwall-Stuart combo in the making.

Mike Green is a hell of a lot more talented than Smith. I wouldn't use that comparison at all. Smith though already has an awesome shot. It's better than your average NHL shooter. He's really good with the puck. Without it, well, you're right in that he isn't great in the defensive zone. However, this year he is significantly better in that area. Also, fighting is not a strength of his but he is not afraid to hit back if someone tries to start stuff with him.

I see Smith and Lashoff complementing each other pretty well. Kind of like a Kronwall-Stuart combo in the making.

If we see Smith and Lashoff pan out as well as Kronwall and Stuart we're in luck. Lashoff was a free agent if he even makes the show it'll be a huge plus. Mike Green is much better but I also think Smith will be better defensively because he'll spend a year or 2 learning he has to play strong D to play for the wings. This kid will be Norriis material if his defense starts matching his offense.

If you haven't seen him play, why not tune in tonight, or better yet if you're in Detroit, go to the game!

So Kindl is a lost cause? no hope left?

There's hope left but Smith looks like he'll be the better defenseman given time. I think Smith looks more like he'll be the stud on D with Kindl being the number 2 or 3 defenseman.

So Kindl is a lost cause? no hope left?

There is still a good amount of hope for him.

At the same time, if the Wings decided to trade him to a crappy team to get a potential lottery pick then I wouldn't be bothered by it all that much. I'm really hoping for a new franchise player for the dmen.

There's hope left but Smith looks like he'll be the better defenseman given time. I think Smith looks more like he'll be the stud on D with Kindl being the number 2 or 3 defenseman.

Having seen Kindl play a few times, I'd be ecstatic if he ended up as a No. 2 or No. 3 defenseman. My impression of him so far is that he's on track to be a No. 4 or No. 5 -- if that.

Trust me, I'd rather have Mike Green.

Trust me, I'd rather have Mike Green.

I'm from Sarnia area so trust me I get a lot of Leafs games. I know what you mean when you say you'd rather Green but thats why I said Beauch with the Ducks. Back then he was a legit number 2 in the league. With TO he's a bum I know haha.

Having seen Kindl play a few times, I'd be ecstatic if he ended up as a No. 2 or No. 3 defenseman. My impression of him so far is that he's on track to be a No. 4 or No. 5 -- if that.

Which is still, honestly, a success... just to have a consistent player in the NHL (which he might not be). But Kindl almost made the team 3 years ago, and really has done little since then. I am actually hoping he might be a bit like Quincy, and that after that initial taste, he simply is on auto-pilot until he gets back to the Big Show again... only this time, instead of with a different team, but replacing Lebda for the Wings.

edit: That came off harsh, but this monkey see - monkey do mentality on here is getting old fast. So many players never get their credit because of personal prejudice and the sheep on here follow the Sheppard like no other.

So you think Yzerman is retarded? Nice. :angry:

I disagree on the "hell of a lot" part. Smith has the most offensive potential of any Wings d-man drafted since Lidstrom. Smith's got the kind of offensive instincts you can't train. Aside from that he's painfully raw. He's just a big ass kid with insane offensive upside. What becomes of him remains to be seen.

Lashoff looks really good too. He's looked very good in both his stints with GR. I'm excited about him. Logan Pyatt is pretty good too. He's had a better season in GR than Kindl but he's Rafalski sized so he doesn't get a whole lot of buzz.

I always heard a lot of talk about Kindl. When I started watching him play last year I was not sure what all the buzz was about. Kindl has always been overrated in my book, but I guess we can still keep hope for him. Lashoff always shows up big when he is needed, there is nothing that says he will not be a top pair defenseman some day. I have heard a lot of very good and very bad things about Smith. I remember someone on this website saying they watched Smith play all the time and he was the most overrated prospect we have. I have heard others say that Smith plays on a completely different level than everyone else and is a machine. All of these guys should make it to the NHL someday, but my hopes are set for Lashoff to make it big.

Which is still, honestly, a success... just to have a consistent player in the NHL (which he might not be). But Kindl almost made the team 3 years ago, and really has done little since then. I am actually hoping he might be a bit like Quincy, and that after that initial taste, he simply is on auto-pilot until he gets back to the Big Show again... only this time, instead of with a different team, but replacing Lebda for the Wings.

Kindl and Quincey have nothing in common. I've seen them both regularly in their first three years of their career.

Quincey - big, physical with a heck of a hard shot and a good hitter. More of a stay at home D-man. Not a fighter, but will drop his gloves in a second if it means protecting his teammates.

Kindl - faster, better skater than Quincey. More offensive upside, but far less defensively. Not a fighter nor a hitter. Not a stay-at-home D-Man...often caught behind the play in break away situations. Needs a D partner that can cover both spots. Has always finished the season with a negative +/- (-34 his first year; -14 last year; -4 this year to date).

Question: Does anyone remember who Kindl was generally paired up with 3 seasons ago when he almost made the Wings' roster?

Edited by GROwl