• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
auxlepli

NHL playoffs TV ratings up 21 percent

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-playoffs-ratings

The first five nights of coverage on Versus have the highest cable ratings for the beginning of the postseason since 2002. The average of 543,000 viewers is up 21 percent from last year.

I've always thought the NHL should stay with Versus. Looks like I'm right.

I'd be willing to bet those numbers would be even higher if the NHL was on ESPN.

I bet it be even higher than that if the games were all broadcast on NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox, simultaneously, thus taking over all major over the air networks at once...

I can't watch the NBA anymore.I used to be able to sit down for a playoff game or two,but its just so ridiculous now.Its ALL about money in the NBA.its sad.

Yup. And the NHL is starting to show symptoms of a similar progression.

NBA I only watch Celtics games now, I used to watch every playoff series, I do in almost all sports (even Cricket if I can find it televised which is tough any more), but in the NBA I can not follow the game any more. Whomever has the best 2 players wins. When the C's beat the lakers Paul and KG were better than Kobe (who was better than any one single player) and whomever else you want to add. The Duncan/Parker years.

I miss the 130-120 games, I hate the fact that the NCAA does a 300% better job officiating the game. It is the game with the absolute most bias when it comes to officiating. I am not even talking about names, I mean guard and Center collide, foul on the center almost guaranteed.

This is why I feel the NHL really needs to crack down on the inconsistency of officials, the gambling thing didn't help the NBA, but the officials beyond the Donahey (SP) scandal are still the biggest problem in the game, it gets no flow.

The inconsistencies of officiating in the NHL is really starting to become a concern, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Franzen suspended over his hit last game, but certain players hit like that all year and got away with it, does Franzen deserve penalty under the new head rule, probably but I don't think so ( I am bias).

Officiating is a big problem in every sport because as the players get younger, faster, stronger, bigger, and smarter the officials keep getting older and older and slower and slower. That my internet friends is a bad combination!

I'd be willing to bet those numbers would be even higher if the NHL was on ESPN.

I don't know. ESPN has spent so much time bashing the Nhl over the years their audience is probably automatically going to dismiss the NHL and not try watching it. Which would be justification for ESPN to limit NHL coverage (they would probably start out with small coverage thus making all the NHL progress over the past few years moot).

Keep it on VS. The only issue is reaching an audience which seems to be happening.

I don't know. ESPN has spent so much time bashing the Nhl over the years their audience is probably automatically going to dismiss the NHL and not try watching it. Which would be justification for ESPN to limit NHL coverage (they would probably start out with small coverage thus making all the NHL progress over the past few years moot).

Keep it on VS. The only issue is reaching an audience which seems to be happening.

I think the reason that ESPN ignores/bashes hockey is because its the only major sport that they don't broadcast, so what good would it do them to promote it? If hockey was actually broadcasted on ESPN they would work much harder to promote it because it would make them money.

Edited by Lidstrom for life

ESPN doesn't show as much hockey because they don't make money off it. They don't have anything against the sport itself.

Anyways this is great news, finally the NHL seems to be on the right track.

ESPN doesn't show as much hockey because they don't make money off it. They don't have anything against the sport itself.

Anyways this is great news, finally the NHL seems to be on the right track.

They bash the NHL every chance they get. They always try to diminish it. It's not a matter of not covering it because they don't broadcast games, they literally tear it apart when they do discuss it.

The fact that 4 of the original 6 teams(Detroit,Boston,Montreal,Chicago) are in doesn't hurt either.

Agreed. Also the entire Eastern Conference is either Canadian teams, or excellent American hockey markets.

However knowing Bettman he'll take all the credit and say that the game is growing in his expansion markets. :looney:

Agreed. Also the entire Eastern Conference is either Canadian teams, or excellent American hockey markets.

However knowing Bettman he'll take all the credit and say that the game is growing in his expansion markets. :looney:

Bettman will take whatever positive credit he can get his hands on even if it has nothing to do with him.

Guest CaliWingsNut
<br />Nice!  Great to hear that TV viewership is up in the US.<br /><br />Although I bet this is solely because LA is in the playoffs.  The LA market is HUGE.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Lakers.

Comcast needs to work out a deal with the NHL and put the games on USA Network and more games on NBC.

Edited by Jwo