• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 3 GDT: Sharks 4 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

Does anybody on this goddamn team have the balls to get to the front of the net with the puck?

You don't win along the boards. You gotta be in the middle of the ice. They did it exactly ONE TIME after the first and they happened to score on that ONE TIME.

You're wrong. Abdelkader made a move and almost scored in the middle of the ice ten seconds before the game ended in OT. I expected Helm, Cleary, Miller and Abdelkader to score tonight...really, Cleary should have had the GW goal, the team should have easily been able to make Zetterberg's goal stand up as well. Howard was not in position to stop the last three goals - maybe you fault experience there, but he wasn't responsible for letting the Sharks hold the zone or get the odd-man break for those chances and he made amazing stops throughout the game, too. Nabakov didn't really do better.

Holmstrom will sacrifice the body every night and so will many Wings if it means a goal. The team did not outwork the Sharks and took bad penalties. Maybe it is lack of respect for San Jose? Lazy clearing attempts when they are on defense and miscues on line changes have killed this team.

Well, here is my analysis of the game in a nutshell.

If the Wings want to win games in the playoffs against a hungry team like the Sharks, they need to play a full 60 minute game with equal intensity. Yes, the team played hard, but there is a difference between playing hard and playing with intensity. Getting your nose dirty in the corners, outskating your opposition, and being a ultra hungry team are all intense qualities. Then you have the statistics in the game. Losing faceoffs in key situations, poor passing, sub-par goaltending by Jimmy tonight (yes I said it, sub par), and the most important thing.....playing like you have the game in the bag for the 3rd period and OT. Taking that ill-advised chance in OT resulting in an odd-man rush was just fitting.

Sure, many Wings fans will blame the reffing entirely. This goes far beyond the reffing alone. Wings fans have to see that. If they don't they will think this team is a winner. I stress to everyone here, this Wings team needs some tweaking in order to go deep in the playoffs. The refs alone did not screw the Wings. The Wings screwed themselves.

You know what really bums me out? I think the Sharks have only beaten us once - in Game 1. The refs and Jobu beat us in Game 2, and we beat ourselves in Game 3. I really don't think the Sharks have been putting THAT much more effort into it, and it bums me out that they're going to win this series (yeah, you heard me) because I don't think they really deserve it so much more than we do.

I mean, they deserve it in a general way, in that they've played well all year and should definitely be here, but I don't think they're showing themselves to be the clearly superior team in this series. Not that the Wings dominated against the Coyotes, but for the most part both teams really slugged it out. Somehow, I would have been more satisfied if the Coyotes had beaten us over the Sharks, but I would have been a lot madder because I dislike a lot more of the Yotes players. Anyway, it rankles me that the Sharks are going to take this one without having to duke it out.

Is there any D-man in the league that plays a 2 on 1 as incompetently as Rafaslki does?

If Lidstrom was the guy in that position, it would have turned out differently.

Not a coincidence that the last two GWG's in this series occured with Rafalski on a 2 on 1.

To the Sharks fans trolling on our board, come back when you've actually made it to a Stanley Cup Final.

This is their SCF.

Once they make it to the coference finals, that's enough for them as they've exceeded all expectations.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

LOL. Rask is three years older than Howard. He's been the top goalie prospect IN THE WORLD, since he dominated the Finnish National League at young age. He's a big guy, unlike Howard. He's fundamentally great. More importantly, he has the mental calmness.

If you've watched both Bruins and Wings games, you can SEE the difference. You can just see when a guy is a one-season wonder and when he's the real deal. Rask OUTPLAYED RYAN MILLER.

There is no talking to you when it comes to Finnish goaltenders. It's like trying to tell a Southerner that NASCAR is a waste of time.

Rask is 3 years younger than Howard and I missed where a 6 ft 205 lbs guy was small.

Not every rookie is going to be exceptional like Rask. Goalies like that are a rare find and something special. Not every rookie is going to lead their team to the promise land. Development takes time. Time will tell if Rask can be an elite goaltender and time will tell if Howard can improve his game. I'm not ready to throw Howard under the bus because he is having a poor playoffs as a rookie. Ozzie didn't have the greatest of beginnings to his playoff career.

Is Howard going to be an elite goaltender? Most likely not, but that doesn't mean he cannot a goaltender that wins games and Cups.

I still didn't feel like the officiating was balanced, but is it ever? Someone is always getting screwed, and it just so happens that it's us this series. With that said, the officiating wasn't why we lost tonight. I think our loss was a combination of some bad puck luck, some careless plays, lack of finish, and some poorly timed goals. Overall, the Red Wings just look so tired and things just aren't clicking.

It's extremely unlikely we come back from this, and that could just be for the best. Even if we did manage to come back and win the next four games, we'd still have to go through either Chicago or Vancouver before facing whoever comes out of the East (likely Pittsburgh or Boston). I'm just not sure they have it in them, barring some miracle. Either way, I'll watch all the remaining games this season and hope for the best.

It's ok Finnish is just a biased Finland fan. Can't blame him, Rask is the real deal and I'd cling to him like a god too if that's the only thing good to ever come out of my country.

Is Howard going to be an elite goaltender? Most likely not, but that doesn't mean he cannot a goaltender that wins games and Cups.

Does this team had what it takes to win Cups in the future with a Ozzie-caliber goalie anymore? I don't think so.

We won't have Lidstrom and many other guys anymore after few years. Can Howard really be good enough to even take us where we are now? We have cap space. I'd invest that on the most important position in the game.

The 'penalty' discrepancy this series had been atrocious. But you can't blow 2-goal leads on home ice in the playoffs. I don't question the team's heart, but they are missing their edge. The 2007 team would have found a way to win this game. The 2008 team would have buried them.

Go Wings.

Many elite goaltenders. Those who will become franchise goalies are usually good at their rookie seasons already. Tuukka Rask is pretty good. That Nabokov guy wasn't bad either.

He's 26. It's not like he's been in the NL for 3 years but it's not like he's going to develop much either. People think he'll be a franchise goaltender which is total bs. Like I said, I'll be happy if he'll be as good as Ozzie was in his prime. People are just blinded by the hype. Maybe it's because he sucked early at the season and then started to play better.

Someone like Rask, Mason, Varlamov... you can see the potential right away. If he was a big guy like Rinne or Gustavsson I'd have more faith, because big guys develop later. There's a reason why he was in the AHL for so long. Guys mentioned before come and dominate at the younger age already.

I have to to agree with your viewpoint concerning Howard, he does not have what it takes to to be a top tier goalie . Unfortunately I cannot blame him but management for failing to provide this veteran elite team

with a formidable goaltender . Had we had any of the above mentioned goalies,for sure the Coyotes would have been gone in five not seven. And the Sharks would not have us by the balls as they now do it would be the other way around . Its too bad, this squad had a chance at another Cup had we had solid goaltending . And as for Babcock he sucks too for not going to Osgood after seeing Howard flop night after night . Look at Montreal mediocre all year long ; except for their goaltending, and look how far it has brought them in the playoffs. And imagine they have Price on the bench. Out with Holland let Stevie Y takeover.

It's ok Finnish is just a biased Finland fan. Can't blame him, Rask is the real deal and I'd cling to him like a god too if that's the only thing good to ever come out of my country.

Yes, especially regarding elite goalies.

Help us Tuukka Rask. You're our ONLY hope!

Osgood lost to the Sharks as a rookie... went on to win 3 cups with the Wings.

If we do go down to the Sharks then lets hope Howard is setup for future success.

Going to watch on Thursday and try to be as optimistic as possible, 3-0 is usually a death sentence, gotta hope for a miracle now.

GO WINGS!

Osgood lost to the Sharks as a rookie... went on to win 3 cups with the Wings.

If we do go down to the Sharks then lets hope Howard is setup for future success.

Going to watch on Thursday and try to be as optimistic as possible, 3-0 is usually a death sentence, gotta hope for a miracle now.

GO WINGS!

This is a fair point. On one hand, this game reminded me a bit of game 6 against Edmonton in 2006. But Howard showed us something by winning game 7 against the Coyotes. He's been inconsistent as hell this playoff, but I'm not ready to write him off.

Go Wings.

Thoughts on my blog:

Game 3 Quick Thoughts

This sucks a lot, you guys. I'm feeling pretty empty right now.

I saw a little bit of your blog before. This would probably mean more after a win, but you're a good writer. :thumbup:

Keep up the good work. You're gonna have to cover a pretty big comeback soon. :ph34r:

Oh well, this one's over. Ericsson was a real trainwreck in these playoffs but this was one of the few times he actually got burned on a play because of it. And obviously Howard has a lot of work to do.

Honestly the Wings have played better than a team being stuck in a 3-0 hole, but they were on the wrong side of all the breaks in the first two games. This game was certainly lost by their own doing though.

We deserved to win this game. We didn't. I'm sorry but Howard lost this 1. He should have had the 1st goal and he def should have had the tying goal. Idno wtf him and Rafalski were doing on the GW goal, not to mention Ericsoon pinching in Ot. Wtf was he thinking? Also wtf was Babcock thinknig having Ericsoon and Williams out in OT, like seriously wake the f*** up! Put Osgood in next game, what harm can it do, honestly??? 16-6 powerplays for SJ in the last 2 games is just sickening, how the f*** do we win when we're in the box this much? You can't! I'm so frustrated. On the 2nd goal as well they were just standing around watching Thorton like he was Jessica Alba nude or something. Like f***en guys. We're done. I have faith but unless bounces and calls turn around, realistically, we're toast. Can't make the conference finals or cup finals every year.

We deserved to win this game. We didn't. I'm sorry but Howard lost this 1. He should have had the 1st goal and he def should have had the tying goal.

The third goal was a killer ... terribly defended (WHERE WAS EVERYONE?!) and an unacceptable goal for Howard to give up. Ozzie's had more than a few bad goals in the playoffs, but Detroit's usually had some room for error. They didn't tonight and once it got to 3-3, all the momentum was in SJ's corner. That's an easy save that Howard absolutely had to have.

The third goal was a killer ... terribly defended (WHERE WAS EVERYONE?!) and an unacceptable goal for Howard to give up. Ozzie's had more than a few bad goals in the playoffs, but Detroit's usually had some room for error. They didn't tonight and once it got to 3-3, all the momentum was in SJ's corner. That's an easy save that Howard absolutely had to have.

Tough to criticize anyone but Howard on the goal, but Ericsson was the guy who was just kind of coasting and floating near Couture instead of trying to check him. Don't know what he was thinking.

Play Ozzie. Now.

Howard has given up poor goals to cost the Wings the lead and then the game in each of the past two games when the Wings had 3-2 leads in the third period. He should be benched for game 4 at the very least, more depending on whether the Wings lose (year over), win with Ozzie playing well, or win due simply to offensive prowess with Ozzie playing poorly.

But regardless, Osgood should start game 4 and Babcock better ******* know it. Some of you have said "Osgood's playoffs started off pretty rough too" and you know what? You'd be dead wrong. Ozzie gave up one bad goal. Yes, it was very poorly timed. But Howard has consistently been giving up bad goals at bad times and killing momentum and leads, while Osgood's rookie year his netminding was the reason Detroit even made it to seven games; had it been Essensa like Bowman wanted, the Wings would probably have been swept.

But the Wings are down 3-0 and their goaltender has been shaky at best. They have a backup who has been the league's top playoff goalie in each of the past two years, and was no worse this year in the regular season than he was last year. If you tell me that it's not worth a shot to risk putting Osgood in for game 4 on the chance that he might not f*** up like Howard has been doing, then you are too concerned with your Osgood hate to look at the facts.