• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

Firstly, I would like to start off by saying I was actually among the LGWers that supported Todd throughout the entire season. I appreciated what he brought to the table. He carried us over a small part of the regular season and I thought he was solid in the playoffs.

With that being said, I dont know why it should be a foregone conclusion to resign him. I dont know how you can discount the fact that you may be able to slightly upgrade his roster spot with a younger player. Todd made $1.5 million last season and will most likely be due a raise. Why not explore some other options? With a small amount of cap space why not look into obtaining other players in the 1.5-3 million dollar range that might be better than Bert?

As I mentioned in another thread, we could pursue Andrew Ladd. If we signed him to an offer sheet at 2-2.5, I dont see anyway Chicago could match. That dollar range would be a steal for a 25 year old that will get you between 40-50 points.

Just a thought. Theres also a chance we will be able to get Bertuzzi back far below market value which would make him a steal. My point is that it shouldnt be a slam dunk to resign him. We need to explore every option to improve this team.

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 31 May 2010 - 10:49 AM.

#2 digitaljohn88

digitaljohn88

Sexy Wings!

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

Bionic legs?

#3 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

look into every option to improve this team? but i am le tired.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#4 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

Bionic legs?

The 1 million dollar Bertuzzi. We can rebuild him....

but seriously... we can't. Get rid of him.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 31 May 2010 - 12:16 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#5 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

I'll take Bertuzzi and his 44 points + 11 post-season points over Ladd and his 38 points + his measly 3 post-season points... especially considering Bertuzzi is the cheaper option.

Anyone else notice that Bertuzzi has outperformed Hossa in scoring this post-season?

#6 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

I'll take Bertuzzi and his 44 points + 11 post-season points over Ladd and his 38 points + his measly 3 post-season points... especially considering Bertuzzi is the cheaper option.

Anyone else notice that Bertuzzi has outperformed Hossa in scoring this post-season?

lol...just noticed leino. 14 games, 5 goals, 9 assists.

on topic. the only way i want bertuzzi gone is if ritola gets his minutes and we see what he can do playing with guys that have skill with the puck.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#7 TX Wing

TX Wing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

all we need is a coach that can teach him to use both of his hands.

Edited by TX Wing, 31 May 2010 - 01:01 PM.

#8 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

With Hudler returning and a healthy Cleary next year,Bert will most likely play on the 3rd line as Cleary and Hudler probably rotate 2nd line duty.Bertuzzi,imo,doesn't have nearly as much grit and effort on defense to play 3rd line.Let Bert go,and a few players that would fit nicely in his place would be:

Andrew Ladd
Colby Armstrong
Jason Chimera
Eric Nystrom
Owen Nolan

All these guys are fairly responsibly defensively(doesn't take much to be able to hustle more than Bert),hit,fight occasionally,and put up a few points here and there.The only guy on that list that I think could hit 40 points tho is Colby Armstrong.Maybe Nystrom?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#9 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:36 PM

we can all dream about upgrading not re-signing bertuzzi but it seems like there's a small chance that it will actually happen

Posted Image

#10 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

I heard a few months ago that Todd will be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Wings. So if thats the case, then I say we must keep him. Especially in this post cap era. Getting a decent player for dirt cheap is a must if we have the opportunity. And from what I hear, we have that opportunity with Bert.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#11 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

i dont want a player who cant handle any break away passes that can put teams away

#12 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

You guys do realize that Bertuzzi was probably the best value on the entire team last year except for Howard right? I don't think we got as much production for cap hit out of any other skater on the roster, yet Bertuzzi is the one that needs to go?

You are right signing Adrew Ladd for 2.5 million makes so much more sense than Bertuzzi for 1.5. I would much rather have the player who makes 2.5 and had less goals and less assists during the season than the guy who makes 1.5. As an added bonus Ladd is a big time playoff performer as evidenced by his 3 points in 16 playoff games this year! Not like that choke artist Bertuzzi and his mere 11 points in 12 playoff games. Oh but Bertuzzi is too old which was clear by all the injuries he suffered this year...oh wait no he was one of only 3 players to actually play in every game.
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#13 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

bertuzzi averaged 3 more minutes of ice time per game during the regular season, and 4 during the playoffs.

bertuzzi - 44 points
ladd - 38 points

bertuzzi usually played with guys like datsyuk, filppula, etc.

ladd played with guys like brouwer, bolland, etc.

Edited by Lidstromboli, 31 May 2010 - 02:17 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

bertuzzi averaged 3 more minutes of ice time per game during the regular season, and 4 during the playoffs.

bertuzzi - 44 points
ladd - 38 points

bertuzzi usually played with guys like datsyuk, filppula, etc.

ladd played with guys like brouwer, bolland, etc.

But if we got rid of Bertuzzi in favor of Ladd you would have to change your avatar! Again! :ph34r:

Both Brouwer and Bolland have more points in the playoffs than Ladd so I don't think you can really say they are dragging him down. I have nothing against Ladd, he just is not an upgrade over Bertuzzi despite the fact that he would probably cost more to sign.

Edit: in fact, both Brouwer and Bolland have more goals in the playoffs than Ladd does points.

Edited by Lidstrom for life, 31 May 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#15 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

But if we got rid of Bertuzzi in favor of Ladd you would have to change your avatar! Again! :ph34r:

Both Brouwer and Bolland have more points in the playoffs than Ladd so I don't think you can really say they are dragging him down. I have nothing against Ladd, he just is not an upgrade over Bertuzzi despite the fact that he would probably cost more to sign.

It depends how you look at it. Ladd in the long run is way better since he's what 25 or 26. He has the potential to break out for a solid 50 points next season and has the physical game to provide as well. I would rather sign Ladd for a bit more then Bert just because Bert has one more year probably but Ladd hasn't even hit his prime yet.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#16 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

It depends how you look at it. Ladd in the long run is way better since he's what 25 or 26. He has the potential to break out for a solid 50 points next season and has the physical game to provide as well. I would rather sign Ladd for a bit more then Bert just because Bert has one more year probably but Ladd hasn't even hit his prime yet.

That is true but we wouldn't be signing either of them to long term deals so it really isn't that important. Look at the free agents we signed this year, they were all one year deals. You could sign a guy who has never played here before to a 3 or 4 year deal but that is a pretty big gamble.

#17 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

no way! the detroit red wings will ALWAYS be old! :sly:

Posted Image

#18 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

That is true but we wouldn't be signing either of them to long term deals so it really isn't that important. Look at the free agents we signed this year, they were all one year deals. You could sign a guy who has never played here before to a 3 or 4 year deal but that is a pretty big gamble.

You could sign Ladd for 2 years, just long enough to make him get roots in teh area then go from there. He's a player that has proven he can play a 3rd line secondary scoring role so if he doesn't work out as hitting his potential and getting 50 points he can always anchor a third line basically.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#19 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

You guys do realize that Bertuzzi was probably the best value on the entire team last year except for Howard right? I don't think we got as much production for cap hit out of any other skater on the roster, yet Bertuzzi is the one that needs to go?

You are right signing Adrew Ladd for 2.5 million makes so much more sense than Bertuzzi for 1.5. I would much rather have the player who makes 2.5 and had less goals and less assists during the season than the guy who makes 1.5. As an added bonus Ladd is a big time playoff performer as evidenced by his 3 points in 16 playoff games this year! Not like that choke artist Bertuzzi and his mere 11 points in 12 playoff games. Oh but Bertuzzi is too old which was clear by all the injuries he suffered this year...oh wait no he was one of only 3 players to actually play in every game.

Helm, Eaves, and Miller were all better value per point.

At some point, 'value' has to be a secondary concern. Obviously a whole team full of Helms would be a great value, but it wouldn't be a good team. We already have 7 top-6 quality forwards, but no combination of them +Bert really gives us a great scoring third line like so many people here think. Too many of our guys rely too much on the talent level around them. Bert, Homer, Flip, Cleary, and probably Hudler.

If we could find some combination in the top lines that lets us use Flip and Hudler on the third line, I think that would work, but more likely I think is that we just end up with a 3rd line that doesn't score much more than Helm/Eaves/Miller/Abs/Draper/whoever would, but cost 2-3x as much.

#20 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

I still don't understand the hate for Bertuzzi. And if he keeps playing like he did this season, I never will.