80 replies to this topic

#1 3chrisosgood0

3chrisosgood0

Rookie

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5311371
kinda interesting article on Modano basically saying if he doesnt retire he wont play for the stars. so i figured itd be an interesting debate to see if anyone out there would want him to join the wings for a 1 year lower salary finish your career type deal.
I could go either way i could argue for it or against it

whats your take?
You cannot stop us
You cannot bring us down
Never give up
We go on and on
You'll never break us
Never bring us down
We are alive! - The Offspring
GO WINGS!

#2 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

sign please. I love good american born players and there are not many. From here so it is possible.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#3 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

Would have bern awesome, good ol michigan boy finish off a career in detroit, can't get any better than that ;)

#4 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

Modano has already retired from Dallas. I guess the Wings would be good candidates for Mike to play for. The guy was born and raised in Michigan, he is a good guy. My grandpa coached him as a kid so I have always had a soft spot for Mr. Modano (if you couldn't tell already), and I would absolutely love to see him here.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 795 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

Should we get some road beers? Hell yeah, we should get some road beers!

Mike in the D!! Bring back his Compuware jersey!!

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#6 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

As much as I love Modano, the Wings need to get younger and faster, not older. I vote no.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#7 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

As much as I love Modano, the Wings need to get younger and faster, not older. I vote no.

Come on, the guy can still skate pretty well. He had 30 points in 59 games last year playing on the second and 3rd lines. If you watch him play he is still very strong in his own end. If we could get him for cheap there isn't much to not like.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

If the price is right I say yes. Won't make my brother to happy as he is a stars fan. Modano doesn't have the sandpaper that Holland is looking for but he will bring the motivation that drake did. Plus think about a modano-helm-cleary third line

#9 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

Trade Hudler away for draft picks and put Modano in his spot.Do that,and you've got me sold.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#10 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

Come on, the guy can still skate pretty well. He had 30 points in 59 games last year playing on the second and 3rd lines. If you watch him play he is still very strong in his own end. If we could get him for cheap there isn't much to not like.

No. I respect him, but he has nothing to offer this team. We already have a 3rd line guy that can skate, play defensively, and maybe even put up 30 points....his name is Helm.

#11 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

Trade Hudler away for draft picks and put Modano in his spot.Do that,and you've got me sold.

don't trade hudler, but absof***inglutely sign modano on for a year at 1mil or so. he can go back home to michigan and there's his contender. and LGW's get 3 potent as s*** scoring lines. i would have a chubby for atleast a week if modano signed with the wings! he can still fly. i see him on a line with flip. he could learn a few things from a guy like mike.

i only see modano coming to the wings as a positive.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#12 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 795 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

I think it's a good idea for the right price too. Not worth it otherwise, the Wings do need some young blood.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#13 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

For a million bucks I'd sign him in a heartbeat. This would have to be one of those "last kick at the can" deals, though.

#14 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

No. I respect him, but he has nothing to offer this team. We already have a 3rd line guy that can skate, play defensively, and maybe even put up 30 points....his name is Helm.

Not to be a jackass or anything, but this argument kinda sucks. You'd really say no to that guy just because we have another guy like him? Maybe he could show Helm a few things about putting the puck in the net and if he puts up 30-40 points in the meantime, then why not? I don't think it's absolutely essential that we sign Modano, but I think he can help our team.
"I can't believe I shook this guy's friggen hand." -Dino Ciccarelli

"Don't think, just play." -Curtis Granderson, always a Tiger

#15 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

Seems like I was reading that same stuff about Dallas Drake on here and he played his ass off for the Wings and helped us win a Cup. Why? Partly because he added great chemistry. I think Modano would do the same.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#16 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Well, this would be interesting, eh? I would love it personally, does he have anything else to give? He can still fly like an eagle thats for sure, he still finishes his checks, and he aint too bad on the point on the powerplay (a lot better than Jason Williams) Although, tongue in cheek, I do agree with trading Hudler for the higher pick, but if we end up having $1m - $1.2M available, why not see what he brings? I am sure he would end his career hoisting the Cup with the team he grew up loving! ...and they lived happily ever after.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#17 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

3rd line center spot filled? I'm down.

#18 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Zetterberg-Hudler
Cleary-Modano-Bert
Eaves-Helm-Abby
Gritty FA, Draper, Ritola

I wouldn't mind that one bit.
Posted Image

#19 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

I would love for the Wings to get Modano (assuming the price is right). I think he would be great for the team, especially some of the younger 3rd line players. Modano has always been one of my favorite non-Wings players.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#20 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

Yes to this for sure. I saw it at the top and wasn't exactly all ape s*** about it. Read some of your posts and my friends, I agree wholeheartedly. It would be A LOT like the Robitaille and Drake signings, and those turned out quite well I'd say.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.