• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
3chrisosgood0

Mike Modano

Rate this topic

im a bit shocked at the amount 0f yes votes on this, i half expected to be run off the site for suggesting we sign an older guy.

I think hed be one hell of an addition but i would also love a grit guy that can kick some ass but isnt stupid on the offenseive end, as in if he was set up to bank in an easy rebound or make a good simple play he could do so

im a bit shocked at the amount 0f yes votes on this, i half expected to be run off the site for suggesting we sign an older guy.

I think hed be one hell of an addition but i would also love a grit guy that can kick some ass but isnt stupid on the offenseive end, as in if he was set up to bank in an easy rebound or make a good simple play he could do so

I don't think it's about old vs. young most of the time, so much as it's about effectiveness. As someone else said, Modano still plays a solid two-way game, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he could hit 40 points. I think he'd fit the 3rd line quite well, and he brings so much off the ice too. It'd be a big positive in my opinion, but who knows for sure.

Trade Hudler away for draft picks and put Modano in his spot.Do that,and you've got me sold.

Are you high? our problem all last season was lack of scoring depth, not lack of fights. Now you want trade someone who is a 50 point lock and a potential 70+ point scorer?

Guest Crymson
It would be A LOT like the Robitaille and Drake signings, and those turned out quite well I'd say.

Not in the least. Both of those players came to Detroit as veterans desperately wanting to win a Cup before they retired. Modano doesn't fit that bill.

Edited by Crymson

Not in the least. Both of those players came to Detroit as veterans desperately wanting to win a Cup before they retired. Modano doesn't fit that bill.

True, its Monday (aka give me a mulligan on that one).. Modano did get that Cup back when they beat the Sabres. But either way I would love to get it done fully realizing that this guy has already made his farewell run.

There's no room, and next to no cap space. I would have preferred him to Bert, but for the final couple spots I'd rather keep Eaves and Ritola, or at least someone who might add something new to the team and/or be a part of our future.

Whats so bad about bringing in a goal scorer that can work the PK or PP? He is the Stars Yzerman, if we picked him up it would be awesome. Your argument is we already have someone that can play his role. Would you be against us bringing in Ryan Kesler, I mean we already have a first line center that plays a strong 2 way game.

No, we have a few players that can play his role better than him. You should probably read my entire reply instead of picking out one sentence.

- He WAS a goal scorer, now he's not.

- He doesn't compare to Drake because he doesn't bring the same energy anymore and especially doesn't hit as much as Drake in 08, and never fights. Remember, we're looking for grit here, not fond memories. 22 hits and hasn't fought since 1991, nice comparison.

- The Kesler argument is completely different. He's still young, brings skills to the table, he would actually help the team, Modano wouldn't at this stage in his career.

- There's no way in hell that he'd be on our PP, when we already have about 10 forwards fighting for those 6/7 spots (if you include the 2nd line d-man position)

- We don't need another Center, we've got plenty

- Like I said before, takes up minutes and a roster spot from one of our kids that need that experience.

Modano brings nothing to the table that we don't already have.

*edit* Oh, and for comparison, ******* JASON WILLIAMS threw more hits than Modano last year, only Leino, Newbury and Ritola had less hits, and the last two played 4 and 5 games.

Edited by Swayze

Nah, he needs to finish his career as a Star.

There's nothing for him to prove at this point, and his game has dropped off. He's not good enough to crack our top 6, and not enough of a grinder to play anywhere else.

He could always sign with the aves for a season, retire, and have his number retired in two cities.... :ninja:

Guest Crymson

He could always sign with the aves for a season, retire, and have his number retired in two cities.... :ninja:

Heh. I never really understood why Bourque's jersey is hanging in the Pepsi Center.

Edited by Crymson

Modano said that where he went would be contingent on how he was utilized by the team. With the Wings, he would most likely get 4th-line minutes at best.

Not gonna happen.

Dunno, he may end up on the 3rd line, but almost guaransheed he'd be on the second power play unit at the point. He still has a helluva blast from there, much better than J Willy...

I'd love to see Mikey Mo play a year for the Wings. Yeah, he's old and all, but he's a classy two way player, he was born in Michigan, and he would be a good fit for just a year. He and Nick (and anyone else thinking about retirement) can make one final run for the Cup. For the right price, he would fit in nicely on the third line and give us a bit of a scoring threat. He can't have his number 9 though. ;)

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Hudler

Cleary-Modano-Bert

Eaves-Helm-Abby

Gritty FA, Draper, Ritola

I wouldn't mind that one bit.

I would not put him as the 3rd line center but move him to a wing position on the 3rd line.

Cleary-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Hudler

Modano-Flip-Bert

Eaves-Helm-Abby

It's looking more and more like Mike Modano's days in Dallas are numbered. Also, it's looking like he might still wanna play NHL hockey next season. So the question is, for the right price, would you be okay with Mike Modano playing in the Winged Wheel? I remember several years ago Mike said he would love to come back home and play some day. And I know he is near the twilight of his career, but he did have pretty good numbers last year considering he was on Dallas' 3rd and 4th lines all season. What do you guys think?

I've always been a Mike Modano fan, but he doesn't fill any significant needs for the team, which has a pretty full roster already. If he wasn't a Michigan native, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I would be okay with it IF the price were right and IF he had to earn his ice-time like any other forward. So that means that if he is taking a spot from say Eaves or Miller or someone else it's because he outplayed them in camp/a number of games to get their.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I'd love to see Mikey Mo play a year for the Wings. Yeah, he's old and all, but he's a classy two way player, he was born in Michigan, and he would be a good fit for just a year. He and Nick (and anyone else thinking about retirement) can make one final run for the Cup. For the right price, he would fit in nicely on the third line and give us a bit of a scoring threat. He can't have his number 9 though. ;)

You just sold 95% of the people on LGW.